Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthmaster One is out!

Comments

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    When can we hopefully see this update (FX-version)?

It s lovely as it is today, but, a supersynth can become a mega supersynth ;-)

I have a long list of todo items, the following are the ones completed:

1. add SynthMaster One FX AUv3 (done, tested in AUM, BM3)
    2. automatically change ui skin when user resizes plugin window (done, tested in AUM, BM3)
    3. sm1 doesn't detect sample rate set by host (done, tested in AUM at 48khz)
    4. When hold button is pressed for built-in keyboard and user switches to a different tab, notes should not be released.

Once I complete MIDI output and fix some critical issues I will submit beta for 1.0.5. Estimating Wednesday for that.

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    When can we hopefully see this update (FX-version)?

It s lovely as it is today, but, a supersynth can become a mega supersynth ;-)

I have a long list of todo items, the following are the ones completed:

1. add SynthMaster One FX AUv3 (done, tested in AUM, BM3)
    2. automatically change ui skin when user resizes plugin window (done, tested in AUM, BM3)
    3. sm1 doesn't detect sample rate set by host (done, tested in AUM at 48khz)
    4. When hold button is pressed for built-in keyboard and user switches to a different tab, notes should not be released.

Once I complete MIDI output and fix some critical issues I will submit beta for 1.0.5. Estimating Wednesday for that.

Time for a coffee break then ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

It's 12:33 AM here :smiley:

• Ok no coffees get some well deserved rest Bulent :)

@AudioGus said:
    So for working in BM3, is there something Intua would need to implement on there end?

No no no, it works PERFECTLY with BM3 (just tested!) BM3 sends the same midi to the FX as well so you can create really nice beats combining BM3's drum kits with SM as an FX processor!

Oh wow! Awesome, looking forward to it, that reverb is silky!

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Decaf then ;)

• I’ve tried registering a few more times but I still get this:

I noticed in the User Manual it shows the first preset being ‘AR DL Groove Box KS’ but first on my list is ‘AR Runner’ so I’m guessing it hasn’t downloaded the new content yet. I’ll try again tomorrow.

@rtuckr said:
    @kv331audio_bulent, did you say you were working to enable both external audio and MIDI inputs to pass through to the AUv3 (assuming the host allows), i.e. to make use of the vocoder via an external keyboard and microphone?

Yeah, and looks like it's working with AUM and BM3.

Ok this has to stop now. It’s getting silly

• @skulptur_sound said:
    How does this synth compare sound wise to serum, or on iOS scythe?? I’m more of a dnb producer when it comes to synths I like that nasty 😷 nasty...

I’d place it on a scale somewhere between far superior to Scythe but not even close to Serum in terms of overall sound quality. That’s not to say it doesn’t sound great. And for an iOS synth I think it’s probably up there with the best of them. It can certainly produce dnb worthy sounds, though my experience so far with importing custom wavetables and wavetable modulation has been far from impressive. I haven’t seen any comments in this thread regarding this matter, but I’m hoping it gets addressed at some point in the future as I think this is SM1s greatest strength if it works correctly.

• @brice said:

@skulptur_sound said:
    How does this synth compare sound wise to serum, or on iOS scythe?? I’m more of a dnb producer when it comes to synths I like that nasty 😷 nasty...

I’d place it on a scale somewhere between far superior to Scythe but not even close to Serum in terms of overall sound quality. That’s not to say it doesn’t sound great. And for an iOS synth I think it’s probably up there with the best of them. It can certainly produce dnb worthy sounds, though my experience so far with importing custom wavetables and wavetable modulation has been far from impressive. I haven’t seen any comments in this thread regarding this matter, but I’m hoping it gets addressed at some point in the future as I think this is SM1s greatest strength if it works correctly.

I don’t know much about serum. Heard a lot of chatter about comparisons to it here. So I checked out some YouTube videos of it and from what I could see and hear, sonically it seems to have a lot of similarities to SynthMaster one to my ears.

• @universe said:

@brice said:

@skulptur_sound said:

I don’t know much about serum. Heard a lot of chatter about comparisons to it here. So I checked out some YouTube videos of it and from what I could see and hear, sonically it seems to have a lot of similarities to SynthMaster one to my ears.

It’s fair to say that there are a lot of sonic similarities between the two. They both work at the same factory after all. But there is a certain confidence to Serum’s voice that I find missing in SM1. To my ears it’s more apparent in the bottom end as well as the filters, particularly when pushed into the drive spectrum. Given, I’ve worked with Serum for several years now, and not very long with SM1 (desktop), so my opinion is open to change of course. I like SM1 a lot, and I do think it sounds impressive. It’s when comparing it directly to Serum that I feel there are certain things missing from a similar architecture perspective.

• Ok, notes from a newbie...
    After an hour I can say, for me, without reservation, the clarity of the sound is superb... And I emphasize CLARITY. it has a crystalline quality I don't get out of Thor, for example (Thor's sound is great, just not crystalline). I actually only listened to a few dozen presets, but I believe I heard enough to believe the sound quality carries throughout. Can't really understand anyone's complaining. I'm sure no one expects to get every type of tonality from one synth (but I could be wrong!)

Love the arp.... But can it be adjusted in a bpm way? Can't see its value otherwise.... I think I may be showing my ignorance.

Hate the little "x"s to close Menus. PLEASE change that if you can, Bulent. It is sooo time consuming!

I think the UI is great. Controls work fine, tho I think Thor's solution is best for ease of adjustment. Love the graphic elements and their movement.

Love the FX looks and ease of use.

Browser works well for me, tho things are a tad small. But superior to other synths I have other than iM1.

Really like the "Attributes" never saw that before.

Want those additional 300 presets! Will pay good money!

Really like the expanded keyboards and octave shifting.

Some of the ARPs overloaded my cpu, but I was on an ipad2. But at least it will run on 9.3 Will see if my 4 is any better. I Like the cpu numerical readout and it's tracking, however.

I immediately bonded with it. I know this is a subjective thing. I haven't done much modeling yet, but it looks like fun. Would I like it better in the much discussed blue? Maybe, maybe not.

Haven't hooked up a controller yet but expect no problems.

Didn't see a master volume control. Can't understand why one would not be included on every synth (Thor wins again!), but it certainly has plenty of oomph.

For my needs this is a five star instrument. Look forward to many hours exploring and using it. Thanks, Bulent and the team. A beautiful thing!

Now, about Kauldron... Added to SM1, Thor and iM1 and Cubasis I don't think I'll ever use Gadget again💦💦☂. I am looking forward to Audiokit Synth One, however!

• edited June 2018

@LinearLineman volume knob is top right of main screen.

• Guess I missed that! It took me about fifteen minutes to get back to the knobs from the browser... Get the picture? Thanks @Trueyorky!

• @Trueyorky, what about bpm for the ARP?

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Trueyorky, what about bpm for the ARP?

I don’t think it can be set in the app at the moment...

BaseTime: The base length of each step, synchronized to host tempo. For example, if BaseTime is set to “1/4” (quarter notes) and the host tempo is 120bpm, each step will be 0.5 seconds long: 60 (seconds)/120 (beats).

• edited June 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    Want those additional 300 presets! Will pay good money!

They may have reserved those 300 choice presets for a later IAP :smile:

Hate the little "x"s to close Menus. PLEASE change that if you can, Bulent. It is sooo time consuming!

I've already included this on my issue list on page 14 of this thread:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/502024/#Comment_502024

• @universe said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@rtuckr said:
    @kv331audio_bulent, did you say you were working to enable both external audio and MIDI inputs to pass through to the AUv3 (assuming the host allows), i.e. to make use of the vocoder via an external keyboard and microphone?

Yeah, and looks like it's working with AUM and BM3.

Ok this has to stop now. It’s getting silly

Seems like some have taken offence to this comment I made ? Very confused as to why when I am clearly paying the developer a compliment. One of a multitude of compliments I have paid him already. Clearly I am being sarcastic in that I am saying ‘WOW THIS DEVELOPER IS SO GOOD ADDING FEATURE AFTER FEATURE, THAT THIS HAS TO STOP NOW AS ITS GETTING SILLY 😜 CLEARLY I DONT WANT IT TO STOP. I AM HAPPY. ITS LIGHT HEARTED SARCASTIC HUMOUR.’ Hope that has cleared things up for those who have no understanding of English syntax. Jeez

• @brice said:

@skulptur_sound said:

Thank you so much for your feedback!!!!! 🙏

• edited June 2018

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Hmmm...
    I thought you were in Istanbul?
    As I’ve remembered earlier, one of you two brothers lived in New York and the other one in Turkey...?

Anyway, coffee is coffee 24/7... ;—)

I will end this reply with some OT new from Sweden - this night is has rained!
    Almost all of Sweden hasn’t had any rain in one and a half month, with supersunny weather and high temperatures...
    The farmers must be happy as we Synthmaster One-fans over 20mm rain!
    Hallelujah!

• Really wonderful news about the rain Errka!

• edited June 2018

@kv331audio_bulent :
    Maybe this has been already discussed but found out that when you set Arp in record mode , when you press the screen keyboard records as expected the note of the first step,the grey column moves one step forward but if you hit again the keyboard it does not record the new step but modifies the first one. Shouldn’t this be automatically moving one step forward everytime you record a new note?

Thanks

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Trueyorky, what about bpm for the ARP?

Will add a tempo setting for the standalone app asap

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2018

@brice said:

@skulptur_sound said:

Synthmaster uses interpolation when cycling through waveforms, serum stil doesnt. That might account for the sound difference. Did you try any serum wavetables with sm1 by the way?

By the way I don’t see anything inferior in my wavetable implementation. Linear interpolation is indeed sounds smoother compared no interpolation. So, I don see anything to improve here

• edited June 2018

@kv331audio_bulent

I’m getting the sound breaking up and then jamming on if I run my fingers up the keyboard quickly. I can make it happen every time. Here’s how:

This works in ApeMatrix, AUM or standalone.

1. Load an instance of SynthMaster One and load the preset ‘Keys Jans Hammer’
    2. Run your finger quickly up and down the keyboard - sound crackles and sometimes locks up.
    3. Tried 512 and 1024 frames with no difference.
    4. Tried reducing polyphony. Helps but still happens if enough notes are triggered quickly enough.
    5. Made sure there is enough head room so not distorting that way.
    6. Tried this with other synths and no issues.
    7. Tried hitting a few single keys quickly and happens that way too.

This happens on some presets, but not all. I can’t figure out why this is the case.

Wishing you well :)

Ps Air2 latest iOS

• edited June 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @kv331audio_bulent

I’m getting the sound breaking up and then jamming on if I run my fingers up the keyboard quickly. I can make it happen every time. Here’s how:

Maybe, this might be related to the "drawing" issue with the piano keyboard. I took some measurements, and looks like the piano draws in an average time of 50 milliseconds! I guess I figured how to bring that down to 10 milliseconds by turning off image interpolation.

EDIT: The piano view drawing finished around 20 ms, with retina images. I hope this fixed the issue.

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @kv331audio_bulent

Maybe, this might be limited to the "drawing" issue with the piano keyboard. I took some measurements, and looks like the piano draws in an average time of 50 milliseconds! I guess I figured how to bring that down to 10 milliseconds by turning off image interpolation.

So, you’re going to need more coffee today....will send you some ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    So, you’re going to need more coffee today....will send you some ;)

already drank my iced mocha from Starbucks :smiley: fully charged up for the day!

• edited June 2018

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@brice said:

Synthmaster uses interpolation when cycling through waveforms, serum stil doesnt. That might account for the sound difference. Did you try any serum wavetables with sm1 by the way?

By the way I don’t see anything inferior in my wavetable implementation. Linear interpolation is indeed sounds smoother compared no interpolation. So, I don see anything to improve here

Any chance that could be a preset setting?, so that we could choose to have interpolation or not. I understand that you say it sounds better but better is not always what a sound requires. I would be interested to hear what effect it has.

This discussion has been closed.