Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which iOS Synths have MPE? - Part Two

edited June 2018 in General App Discussion

There already was a post on this HERE in December by @Enkerli but a lot has happened since then. I was wondering if we could update it as my Roli Seaboard Block arrives later this week, and I"m very excited.

These synths were included in that previous post.

• Air Craft: AC Sabre (iPhone controller)
  • Apple: GarageBand (Universal pseudo-DAW)
  • Christophe Duquesne: SpringSound (Universal synth, physical modeling)
  • Jesper Nordin: Gestrument (Universal controller)
  • KV331 Audio: Synthmaster Player (Universal synth, playing patches from the desktop version)
  • Moog Music: Model 15 Modular (Universal virtual modular synth), AniMoog (iPad and iPhone wavetable-like “anisotropic” synth),
  • Ngo Minh Ngoc: iFretless Bass, iFretless Brass, iFretless Sax, iFretless Guitar (Universal instrument emulation romplers)
  • One Red Dog Media: Arctic ProSynth (iPad synth, virtual analog)
  • PPG Apps: WaveGenerator, WaveMapper & Infinite (iPad wavetable synths)
  • ROLI: Seaboard 5D (Universal Equator-based synth), Noise (Universal sequencer and synth which only accepts ROLI devices EDIT: which works as an AU plugin, so also accepts other devices) , ROLI Play (Universal, introduction to the Lightpad Block)
  • Sonosaurus: ThumbJam, DrumJam (Universal samplers)
  • Wizdom Music: GeoShred, Geo Synthesizer, SampleWiz (Universal synths, physical modeling)

I think we can add since then:

• Moog Model D
  • VOLT
  • Synthmaster One
  • Zeeon? This was listed as a possibility
    Any others?

Some of the instruments above are probably better suited to the Block than the Seaboard.
Maybe at some point, somebody who knows what they're talking about can divide them up that way.

One thing that's interesting is that MPE is spreading to iOS at an equal, if not faster pace than it is on the desktop.

Thanks,

Reid

Comments

• Zeeon doesn’t do MPE. I don’t know where they got that information. It doesn’t even to PolyAT last I checked. I’m trying to find an AU synth that can do +/- 48 for pitchbend to see if I can just string them together for a DIY MPE mode with the block. Most synths seem to stop at +/-24 semitones though. I know I’ve set up KASPAR to be used in a mock MPE mode with GeoShred, but GeoShred only needs +/-12 semitones if I remember correctly.

• Thumb jam is MPE? Awesome!

• I am sure that the Zeeon dev said MPE is planned, (several months ago) but it isn’t here yet.

• This is great. My seaboard block has arrived, and I’m ready to MPE.

• @theinvisibleman said:
    Thumb jam is MPE? Awesome!

Yes, it means we can have user created multisamples in MPE!! I tried it with my block and some things are better than others. It just pitch shifts when you do glides and certain things won’t sound natural in that way.

• Thumbjam and Geoshred are both MPE controllers. You don't necessarily need hardware.

• Model D and Volt are the two main additions since then.
    Roger Linn did add those to his list.

The MPE implementation in SM1 is incomplete. (Bülent did make a comment about not supporting the core channel part of the spec and he’s having to reread said spec at some point in the future.) Specifically, it may work properly with the Artiphon but it sure doesn’t play well with the Lightpad blocks (original or M). Nor does it work with the MPE mode in GeoShred.

Didn't realize (or remember) that there was a plan to make Zeeon MPE-friendly. That could be very cool.
    The upcoming AudioKit Pro Synth One will support MPE “soon” after release.
    Camelot Pro will support the mapping of MPE controllers and it should come to iOS (no idea when).

My not-so-secret hope is that MPE support will spread through diverse means. Don’t know the technical challenge but it sounds logical that things like AU MIDI plugins could help in handling MPE data in proper ways. The move to more modular systems could also favour MPE. And it just takes one good implementation to be properly documented for MPE to grow significantly.

• edited June 2018

@Enkerli said:
    The upcoming AudioKit Pro Synth One will support MPE “soon” after release.
    And it just takes one good implementation to be properly documented for MPE to grow significantly.

If that one documented implementation is open source like Synth One than yeah, evenone with the time and knowledge will be able to see exactly how they did it.

• @Enkerli said:

Didn't realize (or remember) that there was a plan to make Zeeon MPE-friendly. That could be very cool.

He was also going to add .scl tuning support to Zeeon, but he moved on to other projects instead. Can't really blame him given the incentive structure.

• JUCE is an open-source software library that has complete support for MPE, for any who might want to look at a reference implementation.

• I wonder which iOS DAW support MPE now.....is there any yet?

• @Cib said:
    I wonder which iOS DAW support MPE now.....is there any yet?

GarageBand?

• @richardyot said:

@Cib said:

GarageBand?

I mean not just playing but also recording all the MPE events for the specific channels.

• @Cib said:

@richardyot said:

@Cib said:

GarageBand?

I mean not just playing but also recording all the MPE events for the specific channels.

Does GB not record the MIDI from a Seaboard block, when using the Roli AU for example? Asking because I genuinely do not know. Certainly if you play the on-screen keyboard it all gets recorded, but that's not the same as using a Seaboard.

• @richardyot said:

@Cib said:

@richardyot said:

@Cib said:

GarageBand?

Does GB not record the MIDI from a Seaboard block, when using the Roli AU for example? Asking because I genuinely do not know. Certainly if you play the on-screen keyboard it all gets recorded, but that's not the same as using a Seaboard.

Not sure. It records midi but i mean it should exact record what each midi channel does so that a MPE performance would sound the same if you replace the instruments.
    I remember that even Bitwig couldn‘t do that.
    It just records all events but it not records exactly which midi channel does what.

• @DMan said:
    Zeeon doesn’t do MPE. I don’t know where they got that information. It doesn’t even to PolyAT last I checked. I’m trying to find an AU synth that can do +/- 48 for pitchbend to see if I can just string them together for a DIY MPE mode with the block. Most synths seem to stop at +/-24 semitones though. I know I’ve set up KASPAR to be used in a mock MPE mode with GeoShred, but GeoShred only needs +/-12 semitones if I remember correctly.

GeoShred supports a pitchBendRange up to +/-96 per the MPE spec.

• Created a Wiki page from this thread: https://wiki.audiob.us/mpe_instruments

A separate Wiki page has details on MPE controller apps: https://wiki.audiob.us/mpe_sw_controller.txt

• @Tim6502 said:
    Created a Wiki page from this thread: https://wiki.audiob.us/mpe_instruments

A separate Wiki page has details on MPE controller apps: https://wiki.audiob.us/mpe_sw_controller.txt

Great! Thanks for sharing Tim 😺👍🎹

• Synclavier Go!

• @Tim6502 said:
    Created a Wiki page from this thread: https://wiki.audiob.us/mpe_instruments

thank you for the list.

Maybe there must be a correction: SampleWiz is, to my knowledge, not MPE compatible. Also, the Wizdom Music apps are, again to my knowledge, sample based, not physical modeling based.

• @Phil999 said:
    Also, the Wizdom Music apps are, again to my knowledge, sample based, not physical modeling based.

GeoShred is physical modeling.

Spectrum Synthesizer Bundle can also be added to this list.

• Roland Zenbeats is a newly branded DAW with MPE.

Not all MPE apps are created equal, though, as discussed on polyexpression.com wiki

• There is a list of iOS MPE apps on the AB Forum wiki. Please add any that aren't already in the article:

https://wiki.audiob.us/mpe_instruments

• I also found quite some differences in what is called „mpe-compatible“.
    To me it‘s indispensable, that Aftertouch (pressure) and CC74 are patchable. You have to be careful, though, this is not always the case... . In Mononoke, for example, you can‘t change assignments of those, so I personally wouldn‘t call that „mpe-compatible“. Best in class concerning this are, so far: Volt, Shockwave, Quanta, Continua and Model 15. Nice fixed Assignments are to be found in a lot of Noise-presets. YMMV