Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum Machine - Auv3 - specific type - guide me -

Greetings everyone: I have posted a few times in the past, not many. Fairly new to iOS music production, or production in general. Mainly a hobby. I fell in love with the breakbeat acid - club scene in the 90 and 2000s.

Faline - Supremo
Sharaz - I See Stars (Night Sky Edit)
Sneakerpimps - Spin Spin Sugar
Brad Smith - Use Your Love
John Kelly - Funkydesertbreaks
Colombo - Retromus
Chemical Brothers
And the list goes on
As I have aged I have gotten into Tropical House like Kygo, etc as well.

I have the new Apesoft Matrix and the endless addiction to apps continues to grow. Bram - Rozeta Suite in full effect.

But what I have yet to find is a drum app that can be used easily within the workflow of AUv3 controller apps, I.e. AUM or ApeMatrix, that flawlessly works with limitless samples of my own and contains a large preset library of preset electronic Drum Sounds.

I mistakenly bought DD thinking it’s workflow was less complicated than it is.
Ruismaker is too limited on Sounds, which I am surprised can not be added to and has had any expansion. If you get ruismaker FM do those sounds interchange between the 2 apps?

DM2 - crashes and midi is unreliable
Elastic Drums - to synthetic sounding and midi is better but still unreliable
Patterning is awesome but no midi in that I can figure out
Gadget doesn’t play well with others, especially in ApeMatrix
Cubasis has a massively non scalable display with a ton of wasted real estate on iPad Pro - drives me batty

I want to be able to load XoX or StepPolyArp Unit and simply have this drum app have 16 drum options preloaded that can be triggered by XoX or SPAUnit and it be simple to set up and work reliably. When I press play on the transport, I don’t want it to trigger a song or a pattern. Just individual triggers with a large customizable library.

I welcome any feedback or advice on the right app or configuration to make this happen.

This is a wonderful community and resource, and I am grateful for any assistance. And, you are welcome if you looked up any of the aforementioned tunes and had never heard such great edm.... ;?}

Comments

• edited June 2018

You have hit upon one of the areas that isn’t fully there yet on iOS. There are amazing drum apps but most of them are still IAA / standalone and don’t play that nice in the new sandbox. Give it time and it will happen...

For now, AU drum apps are:
    Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM you already know - some of the best synth drums on iOS.
    MV08 - 808 clone with some nice tuning and steps features (when used standalone though)
    Vatanator is AU and comes with some kits and you can load your own as well.
    Beathawk also AU with good IAP kits to purchase and you can load your own. It is a fully featured sequencer in its own right as well.
    SwarPlug is the current AU for Indian percussion - expensive to get the lot but did go on sale a while back.
    Axon 2 - is an AU drum synth with a unique ‘neural network’ sequencer.
    Noise drums is one of the newer AUs on the block. Has sample pack IAPs but I don’t think you can load your own samples. Not sure.
    Then there’s BM3 with its pads that can be loaded up with endless samples or the BM3 IAP packs but that is a full sampler/DAW so not sure if it fits.

• @gusgranite said:
    You have hit upon one of the areas that isn’t fully there yet on iOS. There are amazing drum apps but most of them are still IAA / standalone and don’t play that nice in the new sandbox. Give it time and it will happen...

For now, AU drum apps are:
    Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM you already know - some of the best synth drums on iOS.
    MV08 - 808 clone with some nice tuning and steps features (when used standalone though)
    Vatanator is AU and comes with some kits and you can load your own as well.
    Beathawk also AU with good IAP kits to purchase and you can load your own. It is a fully featured sequencer in its own right as well.
    SwarPlug is the current AU for Indian percussion - expensive to get the lot but did go on sale a while back.
    Axon 2 - is an AU drum synth with a unique ‘neural network’ sequencer.
    Noise drums is one of the newer AUs on the block. Has sample pack IAPs but I don’t think you can load your own samples. Not sure.
    Then there’s BM3 with its pads that can be loaded up with endless samples or the BM3 IAP packs but that is a full sampler/DAW so not sure if it fits.

+1 Beathawk comes with decent sounds. Can import your own. Quick and easy AU interface.

• I do have beat hawk, and should probably import my sounds into it and stick with it until something else comes out. I was tempted on Vatanator, but didn’t know if you could import your own samples or how reliable it’s midi was.

I also have Axon. Again, the endless app addiction is real on me. But, I keep getting the same sounds out of it.

Also have BM3, and might need to look more into using it within another app, if It can do that, but i see it’s more of a host and not a fan of then-intuitive-to-me workflow. I do think it’s a very well done app. To me it’s to much like a traditional Daw, when I like the evolution style of iPad creation and exploration. I get stuck on drum tracks for far too long because of this lack of what I need, of having a quick drum app that is flexible and auv3 compatible. Maybe I should learn to code. Hehe.

• Wish Gadget had the ability to host AUV3

• iSpark ticks several of the boxes. It’s IAA, so that’s a downside in my book, but it seems to work well. It does start playing a pattern as soon as you hit play, but an easy answer for that is just to have an empty pattern.

FunkBox is another. Same situation, but with a viable workaround.

Neither has been updated for a long, long time, but in my book that isn’t a negative in any way.

• @Breezee said:
    Wish Gadget had the ability to host AUV3

Gadget makes a pretty good midi destination for things like Rozeta. It’s lacking in the kits you’re looking for, but you can roll your own in Blibao.

All in all though, BeatHawk sounds like the closest option. The only downside is you need to roll your own kits, which isn’t always fun, but once done you have ‘em for good.

• So, this is a bit non traditional for a drum machine, but you can definitely use ReSlice as a drum machine all in AUv3 with built in arpeggiator. If you have a non AU app you like, just sample a few quick hits, throw it in there, make some slices, and start messing with the arpeggiator. You will have to get pretty good with the arpeggiator section though. I think ReSlice would actually fit with 90’s kind of club music nicely, but that’s me someone who doesn’t listen to it much. Also, BeatHawk is nice. I do like RuismakerFM with some FAC plugins to beef it up and just use Rozeta to sequence it whenever I’m totally AU.

• _ki_ki
    edited June 2018

As AU drums i have both Ruismakers, Axon2, Vatanator, Reslice, BS16i and BeatHawk

Some remarks:

• Ruismakers are cool analog or FM drum maschines, no samples
    • Axon 2 can be driven by Rosetta, it offers FM synth sounds and handles midi-velocity. No samples
    • Vatantor has nice old-school samples, midi-velocity, [edited] It supports user samples and kits, but i didn’t yet check the handling.
    • Reslice can load single wav that needs to consist of several drum hits (or a drumloop) and the slice points need manual adjustment to be used as drum AU, no midi-velocity
    • BS16i loads and plays soundfont samples. One needs to convert own drumkits into this format, what i‘ve already done for several older battery drumkits using a PC and the free polyphone soundfont editor which imports this format, so the task was simple. I didn‘t yet find a soundfont editor for iPad. BS16i supports midi-velocity, the soundfont format even supports velocity layers with several samples per key.
    • BeatHawk allows simple import of complete folders (via zip and files app). It handles midi-velocity and an own pattern and session editor but can be driven by Rosetta.

Since having BeatHawk, i tend to use it with own samples for my AU jamming sessions.

I also use it as piano-roll to send midi notes to other AU synth. When the step-editor is visible and BH record enabled, you can record midi from BHs midi input and then tweak it.
    To make this work, simply assign a ‚silence‘ sample to the pad and route BHs midi to the AU, also you need to limit the AUs midi input to the pads midi channel or it will play notes from all pads.

• I’m really surprised you find Ruismaker that limited. It’s a drum synth, not playing drum samples, so it only has the limits of its synth design. Have you tried spicing some of your own sounds in it with distortion or other fx?

Some of the most popular drum sounds of years gone by were quite boring without the fx the sound engineers put them through.

Also try using multiple Ruismaker instances and being creative with the individual sounds. Try some fx apps for warping the sounds like WaveFolder and Shaper etc

• Vatantor has nice old-school samples, midi-velocity, but no user samples

Are you sure about this?

• @Ivan_Dj said:

• Vatantor has nice old-school samples, midi-velocity, but no user samples

Are you sure about this?

I have checked the midi-velocity while writing my post - but you where right, i just checked and found the user sample import and user kits.

(I will also update my original post)
  • Beathawk really works solid lately. Works very well with user samples including folders. If you reroute the GM drum table inside Luis Martinez drum apps you have drum heaven with custom drum kits.

• Your best bet for the styles of music you cite are probably either beatmaker3 or iMPC Pro 2. Simple, can host and sample based at their cores.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’m really surprised you find Ruismaker that limited. It’s a drum synth, not playing drum samples, so it only has the limits of its synth design. Have you tried spicing some of your own sounds in it with distortion or other fx?

Some of the most popular drum sounds of years gone by were quite boring without the fx the sound engineers put them through.

Also try using multiple Ruismaker instances and being creative with the individual sounds. Try some fx apps for warping the sounds like WaveFolder and Shaper etc

I mistakenly bough Ruismaker, not Ruismaker FM, so I only have the built in sounds, and there’s only like a handful of kits. Maybe I should get the FM version, not sure.

I am intrigued by Vatanator, and a friebd brought up seekbeats, but it’s another drum synth not sample based.

I like the comments about effects and folds. I use effects, but not much on drums. I need to dive more into this to uniquify the sounds I am making in these apps. Modulating them to morph slightly over time is appealing as well.

• I should go for Beathawk because of it's easy workflow. Its very fast to change samples on the go by pressing < or > , plus it remembers the folders you assigned to each pad for quick sample switching. I have imported about 5000 drum samples (snare, kicks, hihats etc.) and having a great time using it as a drum machine.

• @Breezee said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’m really surprised you find Ruismaker that limited. It’s a drum synth, not playing drum samples, so it only has the limits of its synth design. Have you tried spicing some of your own sounds in it with distortion or other fx?

I mistakenly bough Ruismaker, not Ruismaker FM, so I only have the built in sounds, and there’s only like a handful of kits. Maybe I should get the FM version, not sure.

I am intrigued by Vatanator, and a friebd brought up seekbeats, but it’s another drum synth not sample based.

I like the comments about effects and folds. I use effects, but not much on drums. I need to dive more into this to uniquify the sounds I am making in these apps. Modulating them to morph slightly over time is appealing as well.

I run both Ruismaker’s together, via slightly different patterns - really needs up the sound and creates interesting variations.

• @Breezee said:

Each of the sounds can be tweaked via tune, decay, personality and drive. If you press one of the eight instrument pad buttons, a label appears that shows the current base sound of the pad. If you press this label again, you can select the base sound from all internal preset base sounds. In this way you can combine and tweak your own kit, which then can be saved.

• @_ki said:

@Breezee said:

Each of the sounds can be tweaked via tune, decay, personality and drive. If you press one of the eight instrument pad buttons, a label appears that shows the current base sound of the pad. If you press this label again, you can select the base sound from all internal preset base sounds. In this way you can combine and tweak your own kit, which then can be saved.

Holy shit, was that in the manual, I neglected to read? That’s sweet. Still wish it was the FM version but it’s much better than my previous opinion.

• Manual, schmanual! If you see knobs, tweak ‘em! You’re never going to get anywhere interesting if you don’t muck about with presets. There are a limited number of base characters to the sounds, but an endless pool of tweaks and combinations you can make to get unlimited sounds. You just need to experiment,

RuisMaker FM is no better if all you’re going to do is surf presets. In fact, it’s more challenging to dial in the particular sound you might be looking for. Rewarding, but challenging. Both are essential IMO, but neither is inferior to the other or to any other drum synth ... just different.

That said, it sounds like what you’re mainly trying to do is get some of those sounds from the stuff you like. In that case, a sample based app is best, and there have been plenty of suggestions.

Good luck, and have fun!

• Manual, Schmanual ! 😂

• I was a lil disappointed in Vat for a bit, but found that it does some pretty cool glitch stuff if you dig in there. Plus the simultaneous forward and backward swing is pretty interesting.

But that isn't my point - as a simple drum sampler its great.

• I import samples into Beathawk from my hardware beat machine
    I use Beathawk to suquence the drums,
    I then render the beat into stems inside of Beathawk "export" in user folder.
    I then export the stems into Audiocopy from there to Cubasis
    Or directly from Beathawk to Cubasis
    hope this helps...

• Synth Drum Kick is AU and should be here soon.