Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

apeMatrix is out now

Here's a link for apeMatrix
Support this developer, it's an amazing app :)

I might update some features here as a FAQ as there are some common Qs

You can share midi between the 3 matrices with the A/B midi bus

You can share audio between the matrices the same way using the A/B audio bus

Comments

• So, can this replace Link to Midi and or Midi link sync ?

• It’s probably the first appI opened and said to myself I haven’t got a clue !

• @Jumpercollins said:
    It’s probably the first appI opened and said to myself I haven’t got a clue !

That’s the feeling I get looking at the pictures

• No it's a host like Audiobus and AUM, the Matrix is a grid where you make the connections.

• @Carnbot said:
    No it's a host like Audiobus and AUM, the Matrix is a grid where you make the connections.

@Carnbot Any chance you can post up a simple set up screenshot to get people started?

• edited June 2018

@Jumpercollins said:

@Carnbot said:
    No it's a host like Audiobus and AUM, the Matrix is a grid where you make the connections.

@Carnbot Any chance you can post up a simple set up screenshot to get people started?

I don’t think the setup process can be captured in a screenshot, as it is a sequence of steps.

But essentially you’re looking at an audio-routing matrix here. Vertically are the sources, horizontally are the destinations.

There is a similar matrix for MIDI routing you can find when swiping down.

• edited June 2018

Yes I plan to make a tutorial video of some kind but didn't expect it to go live today.
    It's quite deep and so may take a while to get the best out of.

You have 3 matrix pages (but just use one for starters)
    Each has it's own mixer page and midi routing page (like AUM's midi page)

So you load your apps on the left and place connections between them on the grid.
    There's 2 mixbuses A+B.

The speaker top left on the grid is the output, so something has to be connected to it or you won't hear anything.
    (unless you send out of A+B ports to other hosts)

You can touch and hold points on the grid and adjust how much audio you are sending to that connection (like send amounts in AUM)

So after a bit of practice you get to see it like the AUM mixer. Except here you can make changes very quickly.
    The killer thing with this app is it has apeSoft LFO engine for every AU parameter.
    See below:

• @brambos said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Carnbot said:

I don’t think the setup process can be captured in a screenshot, as it is a sequence of steps.

But essentially you’re looking at an audio-routing matrix here. Vertically are the sources, horizontally are the destinations.

There is a similar matrix for MIDI routing you can find when swiping down.

Thanks Bram.

• Is bluetooth midi integrated as an input-output?

• Mmmm, it looks like AUM has finally a competitor...who will win the route war ?

• It’s no war, you can even use Audiobus/AUM and ApeMatrix all at the same time as they all have their advantages :)

• There goes the weekend!
    :)

• That looks to complicated for me :o :)
    Seems it needs a lot time to set up some extravagant routings?
    I saw something about snapshot morphing. This is the most interesting part since there is still nothing even close to the magic of the Alchemy snapshot morphings. This might could do something similar?
    I´m interested in another of Dougs´s video here for sure.
    Again....there is a maybe a great new app but it´s just there without tutorial or some proper videos/demos and this is the reason i didn´t bought 9 of 10 iOS apps in the last months/years.

• You can host ApeMatrix in Audiobus 3 if you want as it has statesaving and Audiobus midi, so you could send midi to it like you would do in an AB3 -> AUM routing

• edited June 2018

It just takes a bit of time to get your head around it but after that it's very rewarding for making tracks. It's really fast to work with when you know it. But best to just take your time and enjoy with simple setups.

Use Brams Rozeta and start with that, but you can send midi to it from any sequencer like in AUM.

• I’m going to buy this I’m sure, but I really need a Doug vid to get my head around it visually.

• Has a built in keyboard with scales and also a built in scales filter for incoming midi and a midi monitor :)

• If you want to change the connecting dots live (while audio is playing and recording) to create loop variations, does this happen in a glitch-free manner? Can you adjust how fast the transition is, or is it always instantaneous?

• edited June 2018

@bleep said:
    If you want to change the connecting dots live (while audio is playing and recording) to create loop variations, does this happen in a glitch-free manner? Can you adjust how fast the transition is, or is it always instantaneous?

pretty much glitch free yes, but it depends on the app combinations and what you are doing/ device load probably.
    It's an instantaneous thing but you can morph between snapshots. But that's not something I've played with too much yet.

I find it amazing it can even do that as it's loading and unloading Audio units as you morph I'm supposing.. :)

• @knewspeak said:
    Is bluetooth midi integrated as an input-output?

not yet, but yes that would be great

• Hey everyone, I don’t consider myself to be an advanced user. Not a noob, but likely somewhere in the middle.

And I had the same feeling that it was too complicated at first.

It’s just that it’s different from what you’re used to and you might put up some mental blocks due to that. But keep at it. When it clicks it’ll fall into place and make perfect sense.

Go through the tutorial screens. They’re mostly simple diagrams. Then refer to the parts that stump you in the guide.

It took me 3 or 4 baffled sessions before it became clear to me. After that, I couldn’t put it down. :)

Looks like the dev forgot to mention it, but that’s likely a discounted launch price. I don’t know how long it’s going to last. Or so, that’s what a little bird told me.

• iTunes cards don't last long these days do they?

• @Cib said:
    That looks to complicated for me :o :)

>

Yeah, my thoughts, too. It may well be brilliant, but am I smart enough to use it. :#

• @MonzoPro said:
    I’m going to buy this I’m sure, but I really need a Doug vid to get my head around it visually.

>

Me too, Monzo. Nothing up,as yet, but surely in the works.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I’m going to buy this I’m sure, but I really need a Doug vid to get my head around it visually.

I’m holding off for a few hours to give Doug a chance to do a YouTube vid with a purchase link.
    I like helping him out as often as possible. But my impulsive nature is hard to tame, and I’ll have it one way or another within the next 4 hours. This looks like something I’m going to want to play with all weekend.

Go for it, Doug!!

• @rackersr said:

@MonzoPro said:

I’m holding off for a few hours to give Doug a chance to do a YouTube vid with a purchase link.
    I like helping him out as often as possible. But my impulsive nature is hard to tame, and I’ll have it one way or another within the next 4 hours. This looks like something I’m going to want to play with all weekend.

Go for it, Doug!!

Yeah I do all my app purchases via his links as his vids usually the reason I buy them.

It’s handy Doug uses an Air 2 as well, so I can see how the CPU usage will affect mine.

• Once you enter the apeMatrix, there's no going back :)

• @rackersr said:

@MonzoPro said:

Go for it, Doug!!

Offset the "want it now!" guilt by becoming a Patreon (or upping your amount).

Works for me anyway. :)

Also, just appending his code to ANY purchase works, I think.

I wish there was an option to nominate a preferred affiliate for all purchases (or a list on a round robin basis).

"You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one"

• Right, I have swiped through the tutorial and read the guide but I’m falling at the first hurdle.

Can someone show me how to get Rozeta X0X running with Ruismaker just for starters please? 😜