Synthmaster One is out!

17810121335

Comments

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @kv331audio Yeah large screen AU needs a fix. It's broken in AB3 and gui disappears.
    Apologies if have missed the rest of the thread but where are the AU settings?
    Unless they are hidden in the large view.

    how can i switch to fullscreen mode in ab3? couldnt figure out

    It might only be in the Audiobus beta

  • edited June 9

    I expressed an opinion and was civil about it. I only came back because of all the notifications.

    I apologize if your mood is negatively affected by my criticism or because I personally don't get along with this synth. I'm aware I'm a very critical person, but when I like something, I really like it and will say so. There are too many competitors and choices out there to not find what really clicks with your personal tastes.

    To be sure, it is a quality product but not for me.

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

    @realdawei said:

    @Dawdles said:
    Is there a reason the AU isn't just a straight up fullscreen in BM3 like Model 15 etc? The scrolling feels kinda unnecessary/awkward?

    It supports Full screen in GB, using the the Screen sizing API introduced in IOS 11. AudioBus seems to support it but BM3 and AUM don’t (yet?) support this API...I’ve corresponded with the AUM developer about this, hoping for good news there. I haven’t yet messaged the BM3 dev.

    Some prominent plugin devs don’t like the iOS 11 API though — as a result consistent AUV3 full screen could be weird for customers for the next couple years.

    Thanks for the insight. Ah, I thought it was either fullscreen or no fullscreen. Didn't realise there were different fullscreen things going on too. What a mess :/

    Yes and full screen is key to the full professionalizing of AUv3. If I think too much about the missed opportunity here I might get pissed :D but what a cryin shame.

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @oat_phipps said:
    I expressed an opinion and was civil about it. I only came back because of all the notifications.

    I apologize if your mood is negatively affected by my criticism or because I personally don't get along with this synth. I'm aware I'm a very critical person, but when I like something, I really like it and will say so. There are too many competitors and choices out there to not find what really clicks with your personal tastes.

    To be sure, it is a quality product but not for me.

    ...not everything is for everyone, I think / hope most understand this.

    There are quite a few popular products discussed in this forum that have me running for the hills — the beauty of art.

  • @realdawei said:
    There are quite a few popular products discussed in this forum that have me running for the hills — the beauty of art.

    >

    Indeed. One of the best things about AB Forum is people being honest about apps. Not trolling, just honest. Having the bad points of something exposed is equally valuable to finding out what is good. :)

    With this app, I am on the fence. I have LOTS of synths. This app has one feature in particular that I would find especially useful; the key mapping. Others may find that of no use at all, due to having great keyboard skills already. However, I would need that feature to be useful via midi out, which is planned but not yet implemented.

    As for price point, this looks to be a sophisticated app, and so would be fairly priced at its current level. If this price sticks, and midi out arrives along with bug fixes, I can see myself taking a chance and investing. But, to be honest, the price of almost £25 I’ve been reading about this app eventually costing after intro would put me off.

  • edited June 9

    @Dawdles said:

    @ALB said:
    @oat_phipps - I’m sort of with you on this, but I think the modulation matrix, Fx, sequencer etc offers some pretty interesting possibilities. It’s not wowing me on basic sound alone.

    Yeah grabbed this last night and had an hour or so on it. Not convinced on the UI/sound/presets system and it's super buggy. Probably keep it at this price in hope they sort a lot of it out but not sure yet if it'll get much use longterm.

    UI issues/bugs/first impressions -

    Scratchy pots!? Volume knob often results in crackles (not due to peaking)

    Can't 'hold' keys and access mod matrix. It kills the playing notes.

    Can't load new wavetable from Files App etc directly from the wavetable menu.

    No indication of 'current' waveform location when browsing waveforms/tables.

    Lots of buttons and keys seem sticky/buggy/laggy (2017 9.7" iPad)

    Mod matrix knobs are ridiculously small/fiddly.

    Distortion/filter. Not overly keen on the algos/character so far.

    Lacking overall vibe/character.

    Really wish it had the 'noise' Osc from Serum so I could layer samples in the way I can in that synth. For some reason I thought this had that. Only myself to blame for feeding myself bad info tho ;)

    Will have another look at it later today and see if I hit any 'keeper' sounds and find the ui less irritating...

    Dumb question - how do you get the large wavetable view in the big window? I've seen it in pics but couldn't find how to get that view...

    It is actually better and smarter to release a software that is 70% ready instead of tweaking it and tweaking it to perfection without releasing it for a long time until it becomes 100% ready. This way, they get early market share, traction/sales, feedback, bug reports, bug fixes, suggestions, enhancements... Users become testers, feedback/revenue makes the developer more involved and committed (they can even hire more resources to speed up development, if necessary), it attracts media/press coverage, it builds a community around the app and its a win-win. When users report bugs and indulge in posts, they become invested in the app.

    Would you rather have SM1 - now - that is 90% complete for a reduced price or after 6-12 months that is 100% bug free at full price? The majority of the reported bugs in SM1 are minor and not critical blockers. Some users reported they could add up to 9 instances of SM1 as AU - that's great considering the relatively small amount of memory that iOS offers to all AU instances combined - and compared to other hefty apps which you cannot add more than 1 instance without running into issues. Dark Theme - that's not a blocker - it's a piece of cake to implement!

    And remember - in any software, there is always another bug!

  • @Dawdles said:
    Any chance of bigger knobs on the mod matrix? Reeeally annoying trying to dial in precise values on a 9.7" iPad... Knobs/buttons feel a bit buggy in general. A lot of having to tap a few times etc to get it to work...

    Also would be great if could load samples in to the sub/noise osc like in serum. Any chance of this in future?

    Thanks.

    I will ask our UI designers VogerDesign for knobs. For the samples, I can't promise. Because we might reserve that feature for SynthMaster 2 iOS :wink:

  • @Dawdles said:
    Large wave table view - that becomes visible under ROUTING tab when you turn the Index, Tone and Phase knobs on the top-left.

    SUGGESTION: The dev could add an exclusive WAVETABLE tab next to ARP/SEQ tab to "always" show the wavetable inside this tab area instead of showing it temporarily in the same ROUTING tab area while twisting the knobs.

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 9

    @Dawdles said:
    No denying it's a good synth for the release price just personally not really clicking with using it so far or finding many sounds I don't already have elsewhere.

    If a synth offers extensive sound-design possibilities to create any sound from scratch, we do not need a lot of factory presets (or a lot of synths). All we need is to gain expertise in designing our own sounds :smile:

  • @oat_phipps said:
    I expressed an opinion and was civil about it. I only came back because of all the notifications.

    I apologize if your mood is negatively affected by my criticism or because I personally don't get along with this synth. I'm aware I'm a very critical person, but when I like something, I really like it and will say so. There are too many competitors and choices out there to not find what really clicks with your personal tastes.

    To be sure, it is a quality product but not for me.

    But seriously, if I read many of your earlier comments in different threads, you might pretty often have a negative approach to almost all apps to iOS...

    Now when you’ve refunded Synthmaster One, at least leave this thread and continue to some thread that concerning something you like (if there is)...

  • @MobileMusic said:
    Would you rather have SM1 - now - that is 90% complete for a reduced price or after 6-12 months that is 100% bug free at full price?

    >

    In effect, customers at this time are paying to beta test the app, which as you point out is not complete. As opposed to buying it at a proposed price that will put off casual buyers, and make synth heads consider if the app offers something to justify the higher cost, by IOS standards.

    What you think is a fair price point is entirely up to your own judgement, of course. But please bear in mind there are many developers with products that are in the same league, and many potential customers looking for that one feature not available with anything they currently own.

    Provide that, within the reach of the most customers, and you’ll reap the rewards. :)

  • SUGGESTION: The dev could add an exclusive WAVETABLE tab next to ARP/SEQ tab to "always" show the wavetable inside this new tab area - and also - display it in the ROUTING tab area temporarily while twisting the knobs (as it does now) so we can see it in either tab areas.

  • edited June 9

    @Zen210507 said:

    @MobileMusic said:
    Would you rather have SM1 - now - that is 90% complete for a reduced price or after 6-12 months that is 100% bug free at full price?

    >

    In effect, customers at this time are paying to beta test the app, which as you point out is not complete. As opposed to buying it at a proposed price that will put off casual buyers, and make synth heads consider if the app offers something to justify the higher cost, by IOS standards.

    What you think is a fair price point is entirely up to your own judgement, of course. But please bear in mind there are many developers with products that are in the same league, and many potential customers looking for that one feature not available with anything they currently own.

    Provide that, within the reach of the most customers, and you’ll reap the rewards. :)

    Windows 2000 was released with 65,000+ officially accepted known bugs and issues:

    https://www.zdnet.com/article/bugfest-win2000-has-63000-defects/

    Had Microsoft waited for all these issues to be resolved before releasing Win2K, it would have taken ages. And paid users reported bugs on each and every MS product. It's not uncommon to release software when it is 70% ready (it is also a military strategy - if I remember right). KV331 seems to have a small team (they may not be as big as Steinberg) but the synth is impressive.

  • @Dawdles said:

    @ALB said:
    @oat_phipps - I’m sort of with you on this, but I think the modulation matrix, Fx, sequencer etc offers some pretty interesting possibilities. It’s not wowing me on basic sound alone.

    Yeah grabbed this last night and had an hour or so on it. Not convinced on the UI/sound/presets system and it's super buggy. Probably keep it at this price in hope they sort a lot of it out but not sure yet if it'll get much use longterm.

    UI issues/bugs/first impressions -

    Scratchy pots!? Volume knob often results in crackles (not due to peaking)

    Can't 'hold' keys and access mod matrix. It kills the playing notes.

    Can't load new wavetable from Files App etc directly from the wavetable menu.

    No indication of 'current' waveform location when browsing waveforms/tables.

    Lots of buttons and keys seem sticky/buggy/laggy (2017 9.7" iPad)

    Mod matrix knobs are ridiculously small/fiddly.

    Distortion/filter. Not overly keen on the algos/character so far.

    Lacking overall vibe/character.

    Really wish it had the 'noise' Osc from Serum so I could layer samples in the way I can in that synth. For some reason I thought this had that. Only myself to blame for feeding myself bad info tho ;)

    Will have another look at it later today and see if I hit any 'keeper' sounds and find the ui less irritating...

    Dumb question - how do you get the large wavetable view in the big window? I've seen it in pics but couldn't find how to get that view...

    Hmmm... You say that Synthmaster One for iOS is “super buggy”?
    This is real bullshit!
    Sure, there’s a few bug, there’s a few UI annoyance, but, the important thing, the sound, is top notch!

    This is a software for 15 bucks (25 later), if you think this is up to 200 bucks Serum on desktop, that’s perhaps your problem...

    And, if you downloaded Synthmaster One for Mac/Win demoversion before purchasing, you should have been clear what to expect from the iOS-version of Synthmaster One...

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @Dawdles said:
    Any chance of bigger knobs on the mod matrix? Reeeally annoying trying to dial in precise values on a 9.7" iPad... Knobs/buttons feel a bit buggy in general. A lot of having to tap a few times etc to get it to work...

    Also would be great if could load samples in to the sub/noise osc like in serum. Any chance of this in future?

    Thanks.

    I will ask our UI designers VogerDesign for knobs. For the samples, I can't promise. Because we might reserve that feature for SynthMaster 2 iOS :wink:

    We thought you would offer IAPs for future features instead of SM1, SM2, SM3, etc. That's how Cubasis, Gadget, etc. offer (just one app) keeping just one version with periodic IAPs.

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’m yet to pull the trigger on this one based on the mixed reviews. I have SynthMaster Player and the sounds are great but I hardly use it because it hangs in the background like a battery gobbling turd after it’s closed. That, and I prefer having the option to make sounds from scratch.

    SynthMaster One seems to have a lot of good points in its favor; AU, low CPU, a lot of options to tweak, and it sounds really good from what I’ve heard.

    @brice What’s your impression so far? If it gets a thumbs up from you I’ll jump in head first.

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Personally I think SynthMaster One does not have too many bugs showing at this time. For the initial £10 off, I’m quite happy with the release condition.

    While I think SM 1 has its own sound that some may not like, some of my initial reservations comes from the presets. They seemed pretty much designed towards more modern styles of music (which is fair). Just dabbling with a few presets and making a few sounds, it’s easy to make the sounds I want from this.

    Yeah, to me this sounds sort of ‘sterile’ when compared to Model D, but that’s fair enough really - would we want all synths to have the same character as a Moog? I do find using the dual filters helps put a little more character into sounds. Bear in mind, I liken this synth when I say sterile to many synths that others rave about too (Sunriser, Thor), so it’s not a negative, just want of a better adjective really :p

    I can really understand why some like the sound of this synth and some might just never feel it. I never got some of my hardware synths, but loved my Andromeda! For now I’m going back to making sounds in Kronecker. I’m sure SM1 will be there for a revisit in a month or so and then I will love it more :) I feel so synthly spoilt lol

  • edited June 9

    @MobileMusic said:

    @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @Dawdles said:
    Any chance of bigger knobs on the mod matrix? Reeeally annoying trying to dial in precise values on a 9.7" iPad... Knobs/buttons feel a bit buggy in general. A lot of having to tap a few times etc to get it to work...

    Also would be great if could load samples in to the sub/noise osc like in serum. Any chance of this in future?

    Thanks.

    I will ask our UI designers VogerDesign for knobs. For the samples, I can't promise. Because we might reserve that feature for SynthMaster 2 iOS :wink:

    We thought you would offer IAPs for future features instead of SM1, SM2, SM3, etc. That's how Cubasis, Gadget, etc. offer (just one app) keeping just one version with periodic IAPs.

    You misunderstand this...
    Synthmaster 2 to iOS is not an upgrade of Synthmaster One, it’s Synthmaster 2 desktop version for iOS, a different kind of synth, a whole new app for iOS...
    For desktop there Synthmaster 2.9 and Synthmaster One for the moment...

  • @ErrkaPetti said:

    @oat_phipps said:
    I expressed an opinion and was civil about it. I only came back because of all the notifications.

    I apologize if your mood is negatively affected by my criticism or because I personally don't get along with this synth. I'm aware I'm a very critical person, but when I like something, I really like it and will say so. There are too many competitors and choices out there to not find what really clicks with your personal tastes.

    To be sure, it is a quality product but not for me.

    But seriously, if I read many of your earlier comments in different threads, you might pretty often have a negative approach to almost all apps to iOS...

    Now when you’ve refunded Synthmaster One, at least leave this thread and continue to some thread that concerning something you like (if there is)...

    I explained why I came back, which is because you keep quoting me and I get the notifications. I've admitted to my critical nature, but there are plenty of things I like. Now It's up to you to drop It, because I am.

  • @Tickletiger said:
    Is anyone else getting a bug where you lose volume completely after switching to a new preset in the browser?
    On ipad Pro, iOS 11.0.2
    Doesn’t happen on every preset change, but when it happens app becomes silent, even though the output monitor in the app is showing output when playing the built in keyboard. Remains silent when switching to other presets, and only responds after rebooting.

    Confirmed

  • @Fruitbat1919 said:
    While I think SM 1 has its own sound that some may not like, some of my initial reservations comes from the presets. They seemed pretty much designed towards more modern styles of music (which is fair). Just dabbling with a few presets and making a few sounds, it’s easy to make the sounds I want from this.

    I believe there is the misconception that SynthMaster One is geared toward modern music, so I am going to post some audio demos from soundcloud. Each of our sound designers have a "unique" style/genre:

    1. Nori Ubukata: he's an awesome sound designer and he usually does "oldshool/vintage" type sounds:

    2. BigTone: he's a legendary sound designer and he does unique ambient/oldschool/vintage/analog type sounds:

    3. Selcuk Ergen: he's a close friend of mine and does awesome 80s/synthwave type sounds:

    4. Kevin Scroeder: he's such a talented designer and does "cinematic" sounds:

    5. Arksun: he's, like BigTone, a very well known legendary designer, and does really awesome sounds:

  • Hi @kv331audio_bulent
    Are we likely to see an update for a full screen AU view soon?

    It does the same for me in all hosts AB3 (beta) AUM and ApeMatrix and can't be seen. But I can see the full screen view is there just not working as it popped up once then disappeared in Audiobus.

    app sounds nice though!

Sign In or Register to comment.