Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM crackling

Recently I’ve noticed an unusual amount of audio crackling in Aum with very high DSP spikes. A recent session included tardigrain, elastic drums, troublemaker, Rozeta Bassline xox and Lfo. It was much worse whenever I tapped on something in aum. Also when I scrolled left or right through the channels.
This has happened on many different sessions.
Should my iPad be able to handle this or am I pushing it too hard?
I have tried rebooting the iPad. Doesn’t really seem to make a difference though.
I have a 9.7” iPad Pro. iOS and all apps updated to latest version.

Comments

• My AUM has been struggling recently too with things it used to handle with no issues at all

• Maybe due to this?

Smaller Buffer Size values equate to reduced latency, but at the same time place more demand on the CPU. As the buffer size is a global property in iOS, the buffer size in an app could be successfully set only if there is no other music or audio-related app currently open. All the music apps launched after the first one will typically inherit the 1st app’s buffer size. Some apps may not be capable of running at certain buffer sizes. If you are having difficulties or encountering ‘jittery’ audio, first rule out that the cumulative demand on the CPU of all the open apps is not the culprit. Then, make sure that the current buffer size for iOS is compatible with all the open apps.

• I haven’t fooled with the buffer size. How do you figure out the cumulative CPU demand and buffer
    Size compatibility? Thanks.

• I've also noticed that recently, crackling problems are occurring where previously there was no issue.

I believe that it's well noted, under control and partly relying on changes on Apple's side? (not been reading too actively)

My workaround is to leave Samplr in the foreground and control everything else in the background with MIDI. If I switch apps or change to AUM I'll get trouble.

• Is it possible for one that has that „crackling“ to share an AUM setup for reproducing steps.

At best with some hardware description that is used so one can try to reproduce on same or different hardware and OS version?

It would be perfect not to bloat those shared setups with apps to make sure other people do not have to buy massive loads of new items for testing.

Just thinking and trying to help.

Interested?

• Did you read my first post? ;)

• It happens when I am tapping things in AUM as well. Also when sliding left and right between channels. I’m not really switching between apps.

@OscarSouth said:
    I've also noticed that recently, crackling problems are occurring where previously there was no issue.

I believe that it's well noted, under control and partly relying on changes on Apple's side? (not been reading too actively)

My workaround is to leave Samplr in the foreground and control everything else in the background with MIDI. If I switch apps or change to AUM I'll get trouble.

• @Antkn33 said:
    It happens when I am tapping things in AUM as well. Also when sliding left and right between channels. I’m not really switching between apps.

@OscarSouth said:
    I've also noticed that recently, crackling problems are occurring where previously there was no issue.

I have that exact behaviour

• edited June 2018

@Antkn33 said:
    Did you read my first post? ;)

Sure I did, but that is just you ;)
    I recently spotted - like Jakob Haq would say - crackling A LOT around here. So my idea was not just to get to your case :)

Inbetween there were informations regarding the order of the apps or „globally“ set buffer sizes etc..

To get it all straight I wanted to try to help (well eventually) not just you :wink:

Also your first post doesn’t say anything about your RAM configuration/size.

„All the latest“ is also „just a phrase“ for example for the OS version.
    As your post is relatively new I guess you are running iOS 11.4?
    What about in a week ? Is it the again the latest? I guess you get me.

Maybe it’s me...I have literally years of knowledge in software testing on several platforms and not everything is reproducible in every constellation.

Just trying to explain.

Kind regards.

• Loaded up the same apps in Cubasis and no cracking... just saying....

• Is this a “post 11.4” problem? As in, did the crackles start after upgrading to 11.4?

• edited June 2018

I am running on 11.4 and have no crackling experiences here.
    Hardware: 256GB iPad Pro 12”

To be more specific on THIS setup from @Antkn33 i would like to receive his AUM setup-file.
    I have all the Apps he has included - so could try to run that setup here.

• edited June 2018

@OscarSouth said:

@Antkn33 said:
    It happens when I am tapping things in AUM as well. Also when sliding left and right between channels. I’m not really switching between apps.

@OscarSouth said:

I have that exact behaviour

This is an occasional issue that seems to happen for some users, and not for others. It seems to be specific to particular devices. According to mine and other developers research, it seems to be caused by bugs deep within iOS itself regarding CPU frequency scaling and/or audio thread priorities. The audio performance is not supposed to be affected by user interface activity.

In some cases it helps "warming up" the CPU by doing something very CPU-heavy for a couple of minutes, sometimes a simple reboot helps, etc. Some has reported limiting the graphical FPS to 60 in accessibility settings helps (for those who have the iPad models which such a setting).

I've been in contact since a quite long time with Apple audio software engineers about this issue, and they're still on it. Hopefully we'll see some solution in the near future...

• This is good information. Thanks!

• I was having similar issues until I updated to 11.4 then things seemed to be a bit better for me on my Air 2

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@Antkn33 said:
    I haven’t fooled with the buffer size. How do you figure out the cumulative CPU demand and buffer

The best way is just trial and error. Got crackles? Try the next higher buffer setting to see if it helps. There are only a few settings, so the process is easy enough. Getting caught up in trying to be accurate with it isn't productive since there are so many variables and virtually no effective tools to analyze anyway.

Or, if you're not playing live so that latency isn't a problem, just crank the buffers all the way up. If you do need to record something, try to temporarily disable all the apps you can to be able to use a lower setting.

I've also noticed that I get away with lower buffer settings at 44100 Hz. Once I was unable to change the settings downward from 48000 Hz. I finally figured out that this was because I had plugged my iPhone lightning earbuds into my iPad and they were forcing the 48000 Hz. When I switched to the good ol' headphone jack I could get back to 44100 Hz.

ymmv since I'm on an Air 2, which seems not to suffer from these graphics related issues.

• Yeah I saw Doug post videos in wich he is running like 8-10 apps in AUM. I believe he has an older model iPad than I.
    I can’t anywhere near that.

@djpuzzle said:
    I was having similar issues until I updated to 11.4 then things seemed to be a bit better for me on my Air 2

• @djpuzzle said:
    I was having similar issues until I updated to 11.4 then things seemed to be a bit better for me on my Air 2

Well that is good to hear. About to upgrade my Air2 to 11.4. B)

• @wim said:

@Antkn33 said:
    I haven’t fooled with the buffer size. How do you figure out the cumulative CPU demand and buffer

The best way is just trial and error. Got crackles? Try the next higher buffer setting to see if it helps. There are only a few settings, so the process is easy enough. Getting caught up in trying to be accurate with it isn't productive since there are so many variables and virtually no effective tools to analyze anyway.

Or, if you're not playing live so that latency isn't a problem, just crank the buffers all the way up. If you do need to record something, try to temporarily disable all the apps you can to be able to use a lower setting.

I've also noticed that I get away with lower buffer settings at 44100 Hz. Once I was unable to change the settings downward from 48000 Hz. I finally figured out that this was because I had plugged my iPhone lightning earbuds into my iPad and they were forcing the 48000 Hz. When I switched to the good ol' headphone jack I could get back to 44100 Hz.

ymmv since I'm on an Air 2, which seems not to suffer from these graphics related issues.

Air2 here with issues

• From a user’s perspective it’s confusing that the issue is iOS if it happens in AUM but not Cubasis.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@Antkn33 said:
    From a user’s perspective it’s confusing that the issue is iOS if it happens in AUM but not Cubasis.

Have you compared buffer and audio rate settings between AUM and Cubasis just to be sure they're comparable? It could also be related to there not being as much scrolling happening normally in Cubasis.

Or - maybe you're on to something.

• @OscarSouth said:

@wim said:

@Antkn33 said:

Air2 here with issues

Awwwww. I feel left out now.

(Sorry ... I shouldn't make light of this when it's such a frustrating thing.)

• @wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

@wim said:

@Antkn33 said:

Air2 here with issues

:D you must be on a Pro

• @djpuzzle said:

@wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

@wim said:

@Antkn33 said:

Air2 here with issues

nope. Air 2. Notwithstanding OscarSouth's experience, the Air 2 seems to suffer from far less audio / graphics related issues than most of the Pro's if the threads all over the forum are correct. Less power by far, but in some cases as capable or moreso than the Pros.

At least that's what I keep telling myself! It;s saved me a bunch of money so far. B)

• @wim said:

@djpuzzle said:

@wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

@wim said:

@Antkn33 said:

Air2 here with issues

nope. Air 2. Notwithstanding OscarSouth's experience, the Air 2 seems to suffer from far less audio / graphics related issues than most of the Pro's if the threads all over the forum are correct. Less power by far, but in some cases as capable or moreso than the Pros.

At least that's what I keep telling myself! It;s saved me a bunch of money so far. B)

CPU throttling is a funny science. Could be that the Air 2 is always in full power mode whereas the Pro is constantly switching between low power and high power mode depending on its CPU load. Switching throttle modes is notorious for unpredictably causing glitches. Also the throttle-threshold could be different between CPU types, iOS versions or even depend on which kinds of OS threads are active. Only Apple know...

• I think it’s iOS issue (11.3) , changing to another app cause glitches on my Air2.
    It happens on AUM, AB3 and BM3

• @Korakios said:
    I think it’s iOS issue (11.3) , changing to another app cause glitches on my Air2.
    It happens on AUM, AB3 and BM3

I think this is a likely culprit as well. There was someone comparing how Gadget runs on their new iPad compared to their old iPad2. The iPad 2 is glitch-free and doesn’t get hot or suffer from unusually fast battery drain, while the newer iPad stinks.

So I think it likely that iOS upgrades are causing some havoc, but I also think there may be too much power crammed into an iPad Pro, causing instability and heat dispersion related problems.

• @Antkn33 said:
    From a user’s perspective it’s confusing that the issue is iOS if it happens in AUM but not Cubasis.

I saw this on my Air 1. Happens in AUM but little or no crackling in BM3 with larger buffer settings on each. AUM CPU meter usually shows a massive spike when switching from another app back to AUM.

• Yeah I get the massive cpu spikes in aum when doing anything in it.

• edited June 2018

Historically, graphics cause problems. Has the fact the pros have higher resolutions and more colors been ruled out? I know the a10x has more graphical oomph than the a10, but maybe it still is interfering somehow? Just a random thought.