Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Support DEVELOPERS best you can! OR WE WON'T HAVE THEM!

PLEASE SUPPORT DEVELOPERS WHO YOU LIKE.

BUY THE APP.

BUY THE IAPs!

GIVE GREAT REVIEWS AND 5 STARS

HELP THEM SUCCEED.

OR WE WILL LOSE THEM!

TAKEN FROM OTHER THREAD FROM ME

"Sadly I can name a couple developers that Apple has stolen away and now we will never see a new app from them.
Don't even ask me I can't say.
For real.
Tell you this.

IF you know a great dev who used to be engaged on the forum and with users and enthusiastic and apps were awesome-----and then you never heard from them again........but their apps get minimal updates per iOS operating system WITH NO NEW FEATURES.

They are at Apple.

Take a moment.

Some names will become clear."

Comments

• I am interested to see responses if anyone has any interesting perspectives on this practice of Apple cherry picking the best developers for them selves......

Makes you wonder how bad system is rigged against developers!

NOCONSPIRACYTHEORY

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I am interested to see responses if anyone has any interesting perspectives on this practice of Apple cherry picking the best developers for them selves......

NOCONSPIRACYTHEORY

It’s certainly common practice amongst big companies to hoover up competition, though aside from Alchemy my favourite devs still seem to be independent and doing their thing.

• I mean i can understand every developer which would do this since i guess at Apple you have a save job if you are good at what you do. And if you have great ideas and sell it of for a 6-7 figure sum or so i would do it in a heartbeat as well.
    Camel Audio was a good example.....but at least we see a lot stuff now in Logic for no update cost and also in GarageBand iOS in the background.
    But sometimes i´m scared that my favorite developers won´t be there anymore.
    In case of my favorite synth ever it´s the other way. Since he is a one man show which also seems to have a real time job as senior developer (non music related i think) elsewhere there will be no big updates anymore and i´m even scared if the next major OS update will break it. Here i wish he would sell the amazing code and/or would work for a bigger brand which would include it in other projects etc.
    A lot of awesome stuff was made by single independent developers but never reach the level it could be because of these damn real time jobs and/or lack of money and success to build on it.

• I maintain a twitter list of Apple Audio folks that I can find:

https://twitter.com/originalDJB/lists/apple-audio-folks

My methodology is to search linkedin for "ios audio" "ios music" "garageband" "midi", and then when I find names, I search for them on twitter.

I haven't searched linkedin for about 6 months, and I know Apple is hiring like crazy.

And I had dinner with a dev who went to work for Apple.

• Some devs just prefer to be independent but, for others, if Apple comes calling, I think they're going to go no matter what we do.

Change is always happening. Bad fortune for some is good fortune for others. Adapt and move forward. I thought at first that losing Alchemy development on iOS was a bummer and kind of a mess to get everything backed up, etc. Today, would I rather have an updated Alchemy on my iPad (instead of the iOS Garageband version,) or the free Alchemy in Logic Pro? Not the slightest doubt I prefer the beast in Logic, so disappointment turned into prosperity. In any case, there's such an abundance of apps on iOS, I don't have time for as many as I'd like as it is. I don't worry about Apple skimming off some of the best talent, and those new Apple employees may actually help iOS to be a stronger and more stable environment for music. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

• @MonzoPro said:
    It’s certainly common practice amongst big companies to hoover up competition, though aside from Alchemy my favourite devs still seem to be independent and doing their thing.

>

Yup. Not everyone wants to be an Apple acolyte.

As for supporting developers, most people here buy lots of apps, and enthuse. Several folk, Doug being the most prolific, promote apps for free. Aside from donating blood, that is about as good as it gets!

• Surprising that some people worry more about losing independent devs than losing Apple devs. Without talented people working for Apple, there would be no platform worthy of any good developer.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@RUST( i )K said:
    I am interested to see responses if anyone has any interesting perspectives on this practice of Apple cherry picking the best developers for them selves......

NOCONSPIRACYTHEORY

Humm... if I was a developer struggling along trying to make a living from app development and one of the richest companies on the planet offers me regular employment, benefits, retirement plan, insurance, more money than I’m making now, possibly flexible hours, and maybe even a cushy bus service to work, perhaps stock options. Somehow I don’t think Apple would need to put a gun to my head to get me to join them.

The system may be rigged against certain app consumers, but i wouldn’t call it rigged against developers. Personally I’d heartily congratulate any developer if offered a sweet deal at Apple. I’d wish them the best and cast aside my hopes for the future of their $15 app that I already got years of mileage out of.

Just my perspective (as someone who is about to be out of a job end of next week).

Peace ... not trying to start an argument or be contrary. B)
    Already did that once today apparently. Once a day is enough. :#

• @wim said:

@RUST( i )K said:

NOCONSPIRACYTHEORY

Humm... if I was a developer struggling along trying to make a living from app development and one of the richest companies on the planet offers me regular employment, benefits, retirement plan, insurance, more money than I’m making now, possibly flexible hours, and maybe even a cushy bus service to work, perhaps stock options. Somehow I don’t think Apple would need to put a gun to my head to get me to join them.

Would you though? If you were creating work you were proud of, that had taken a lifetime of building up your skills, that earned high praise from users - would you swap that for a limited period contract with a corporate, and a ‘really important position’ in the stationery department?

Generally they don’t want you, they want your product, the rights to your soul, and to own you so you can’t make anything else better than their in-house team can.

• Hey Wim, in my book you are a very good guy! I've never seen you contribute anything but really good advice and thoughts in a very courteous and compassionate way. Your presence on the forum is one of the reasons I keep coming back. Just saying.

• If only I could dream of beatmaker 3 and GarageBand merger. Give @mathieugarcia more resources and give GarageBand a real makeover that could be the new logic for iOS. I’d buy that all over agiain as long as the files are compatible from both apps into one. Just a dream.

The problem with supporting devs is great for about a year, you get updates then you don’t see updates ever again. Feel like money wasted. But if I can see a history from other apps they have I have no problem jumping on that train. I wish more of the independent devs would offer more iaps so we could support them. I don’t like making sounds but I will buy sounds but I don’t see any devs really doing that. Maybe Zeeon is the only one.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@RUST( i )K said:

NOCONSPIRACYTHEORY

Would you though? If you were creating work you were proud of, that had taken a lifetime of building up your skills, that earned high praise from users - would you swap that for a limited period contract with a corporate, and a ‘really important position’ in the stationery department?

Generally they don’t want you, they want your product, the rights to your soul, and to own you so you can’t make anything else better than their in-house team can.

Well, I don't necessarily agree with that generalization. I think it's pretty rare that a company would actually hire someone only to stifle the tiny blip of competition that developer might represent in the path of a behemoth like Apple.

But regardless, yes, I would consider it, do my due diligence to see if it looks like the job they were offering would be fulfilling or not, and if I turned out to be wrong ... I'd quit. I'd still be ahead of the game and could always return to what I was doing before.

Nobody forces people to make these kinds of decisions, and they're not irrevocable. If developers have chosen to join Apple, I'm sure it's because they saw (or thought they saw) a better opportunity, and in most cases I bet it is. I have known several people who work for Apple. Not one is unhappy about it.

(Not saying this as an Apple fanboy, which I'm not. I just happen to live in their back yard though, so I maybe see them from a little different perspective, at least as an employer.)

• @LinearLineman said:
    Hey Wim, in my book you are a very good guy! I've never seen you contribute anything but really good advice and thoughts in a very courteous and compassionate way. Your presence on the forum is one of the reasons I keep coming back. Just saying.

+1
    What you said

• In order to develop really useful iOS music apps, it’s my belief that TWO skill sets are necessary. You can’t just be a very good developer, you need to to be a skilled musician too. I’m not sure how much Apple cares about your music chops when they recruit you. I’m hopeful that the devs who are around here are more interested in making music than in writing code, and they’ll be just a TEENSY less capable in software development and they can’t quite make the Apple grade. 🤫 Choose from the following list:

1. Coding wizard.
    2. Prodigy musician.
    3. Very good coder with decent musical skills.
    4. Very good musician with only passing coding skills.

I would choose #3. Apple would choose #1.

I’m not worried about losing devs... Open source and better coding languages mean that more musicians will be able to write great apps. I DO worry about the future of the fabulous hardware platforms we have today. It might be better if some of our music app devs join the Apple ranks and remind Apple that there’s a community out here they don’t want to turn their back on.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@JeffChasteen said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Hey Wim, in my book you are a very good guy! I've never seen you contribute anything but really good advice and thoughts in a very courteous and compassionate way. Your presence on the forum is one of the reasons I keep coming back. Just saying.

+1
    What you said

Thanks guys, but there are plenty of times I've been a dick. I like to keep it intentional though when it happens. ;)

• I appreciate all the thoughts.

Regardless of the agree/disagree factor.

I respect most everyone on here(except like 2 assholes) and am interested in you thoughts.

Otherwise I wouldn't have posted a thread.

I didn't expect everyone to agree with me and the thoughts are worth considering in my analysis of my position.

Thanks!

And don't forget to REVIEW AND STAR DEVS YOU LIKE!

• @wim said:

@RUST( i )K said:

NOCONSPIRACYTHEORY

The system may be rigged against certain app consumers, but i wouldn’t call it rigged against developers. Personally I’d heartily congratulate any developer if offered a sweet deal at Apple. I’d wish them the best and cast aside my hopes for the future of their $15 app that I already got years of mileage out of.

Just my perspective (as someone who is about to be out of a job end of next week).

Peace ... not trying to start an argument or be contrary. B)
    Already did that once today apparently. Once a day is enough. :#

Fucking troublemaker.

......kidding!

appreciatesnark

• edited June 2018

@johnfromberkeley said:
    I maintain a twitter list of Apple Audio folks that I can find:

https://twitter.com/originalDJB/lists/apple-audio-folks

My methodology is to search linkedin for "ios audio" "ios music" "garageband" "midi", and then when I find names, I search for them on twitter.

I haven't searched linkedin for about 6 months, and I know Apple is hiring like crazy.

And I had dinner with a dev who went to work for Apple.

I hope he paid!

• edited June 2018

@RUST( i )K said:
    I appreciate all the thoughts.

I respect most everyone on here(except like 2 assholes) and am interested in you thoughts.

I didn't expect everyone to agree with me and the thoughts are worth considering in my analysis of my position.

Thanks!

“Accept like 2 assholes” Such a trash comment to subtetly throw and really lower the tone of a debate. Smh

• @MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@RUST( i )K said:

NOCONSPIRACYTHEORY

An older dev who really does have a lifetime of independent work, no longer has to support a family, is happy and secure with how they're living, is much different than a younger developer, possibly with a family to support, wanting to build a career. Then I'm sure many developers are not in a heart-throbbing lifetime commitment to their past projects. They created some cool stuff, and now welcome new challenges. Being hired by Apple is a big endorsement of one's skills, and the chance to work on projects used by millions. I think some are going to want to stay independent at all costs, while most are going to jump at a great opportunity.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@RUST( i )K said:

+100
    Why oh why oh why oh why is it so hard for me to remember this needs to be done after every update??

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

Not to beat a dead horse, but just because it happened to come to me, and of course the whole world is sitting on the edge of their chairs anticipating the next piece of inspired wisdom from my uncanny intellect...

Apple makes 30% profit off of the sweat of every non-Apple developer out there. I would be extremely surprised if their payback for each one of their internal developers is near that percentage. It seems to me that they would be unlikely to snag anyone making that kind of bank for them (with no risk and minuscule cost to Apple) unless they see value in them.

What does mystify me is why Apple seems to do so little to make the task of making money easier for their faithful legion of share-croppers to help make Apple rich.

• @wim said:
    Apple makes 30% profit off of the sweat of every non-Apple developer out there.

>

Apple are selling developer sweat! Utter bastards. :D

• edited June 2018

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@RUST( i )K said:

NOCONSPIRACYTHEORY

Well, I don't necessarily agree with that generalization. I think it's pretty rare that a company would actually hire someone only to stifle the tiny blip of competition that developer might represent in the path of a behemoth like Apple.

But regardless, yes, I would consider it, do my due diligence to see if it looks like the job they were offering would be fulfilling or not, and if I turned out to be wrong ... I'd quit. I'd still be ahead of the game and could always return to what I was doing before.

Nobody forces people to make these kinds of decisions, and they're not irrevocable. If developers have chosen to join Apple, I'm sure it's because they saw (or thought they saw) a better opportunity, and in most cases I bet it is. I have known several people who work for Apple. Not one is unhappy about it.

Just to explain - my response was based on being hired as someone who already has an established company, and a popular and unique product. A dev/company that has created a product or service that either poses a small threat to the larger companies products, or incorporates desirable copyrighted innovation.

So rather than just hiring a developer, they get to acquire another company and brand, and all the IP that goes with it.

On that basis, while the bigger company might well be interested in signing you up for your talents as well, they have their sights on owning your work, and removing you as competition to their own development cycle is a welcome bonus. That’s business.

If I was a dev and had created a few simple fx apps, was fed up with the poor revenue, negative reviews, and constant updating, and offered a really good job with a bigger company then I’d jump at the chance. If I’d built up something special, with the potential for future expansion and innovation then I’d have to think very hard about throwing that away. Because if you don’t like the new job then it’s very difficult to rejoin at the cutting edge of innovation, and regain the trust of customers or clients you previously abandoned. Assuming the new company haven’t also bought the rights to all your future work too.

The reason for posting is I’ve been in a similar position (in a very, smaller way, and not with Apple) as a designer/UI developer. And I was shafted. So I’d advise caution when dealing with the big guys. They don’t get to be big guys by playing nicely.

• edited June 2018

@lovadamusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@RUST( i )K said:

NOCONSPIRACYTHEORY

An older dev who really does have a lifetime of independent work, no longer has to support a family, is happy and secure with how they're living, is much different than a younger developer, possibly with a family to support, wanting to build a career. Then I'm sure many developers are not in a heart-throbbing lifetime commitment to their past projects. They created some cool stuff, and now welcome new challenges. Being hired by Apple is a big endorsement of one's skills, and the chance to work on projects used by millions. I think some are going to want to stay independent at all costs, while most are going to jump at a great opportunity.

Oh definitely. As I’ve posted in my reply to Wim I’d only hesitate if I’d built something special, and knew they were more interested in my business than they were in me. Unless the contract was very open (unlikely), and the payoff very, very generous.

If I were a young dev, just starting out I’d jump at the chance.

• @MonzoPro said:

So I’d advise caution when dealing with the big guys. They don’t get to be big guys by playing nicely.
    >

As has always been the case. The ultimate example being Nicola Tesla.

• edited June 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@RUST( i )K said:

NOCONSPIRACYTHEORY

that reminds me of an offer I got ages ago in the early days of medical image aquisition.
    Someone told me the 'big boys' had admitted my system (developed during a local hospital project) was way ahead of their own and they'd be interested in a purchase... but only to put in the bottom drawer to get it away.
    All it needed was a phonecall and a meeting, but stupid me ignored the opportunity.
    I had a lot of knowledge in IT and software design, but barely an idea about how that specific market works. Personal arrogance (or call it pride about my work) cost me a 6-figure € amount. Lesson learned the hard way. :o

As a developer it's worth to see the overall picture, consider market opportunities and the amount of effort to succeed.
    Today it's quite usual to (almost) give away your work for free in the hope one of those 'big boys' will notice and aquire the intellectual property either by license or working contract.

Imho Apple isn't an unfair partner in this domain. They recently bought a Munich company for it's augmented reality product ($150 million iirc), which made it's way into Apple's OS services.
    And even that annual fee plus 30% share from iTunes purchases is quite affordable, considering it provides a world-wide presence for you and your product.

The current price model for digital audio with it's limited target audience is sub par for sure, but on the other hand only few tried to break it. For example there seems to be a professional piano tuning app that sells for 200 bucks and saves a lot of time, so appearantly the app pays off quickly.
    Imo the so called 'community' shovels it's own grave by a constantly repeated '... will wait on next sales...' o:)

• @universe said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    I appreciate all the thoughts.

Thanks!

“Accept like 2 assholes” Such a trash comment to subtetly throw and really lower the tone of a debate. Smh

You are so right!

Make that 3 assholes........... o:)

• @Telefunky said:
    Imo the so called 'community' shovels it's own grave by a constantly repeated '... will wait on next sales...' o:)

>

I think that vast majority here buy lots of apps in the space of a year. Many of them instant buys, from developers such as FAC and Brambos. We also talk enthusiastically about those apps, helping to find bugs, suggesting features, spreading the word, and keen for useful IAP’s.

Waiting for sales is usually restricted to some higher priced apps, ‘cause there is a limit to what most of us can afford. So when those sales come, a whole bunch of customers will press buy, who would not do so at full price. As all sales run for very limited periods, this is surely a win-win?