Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alternative to iConnectAudio4+ ?

Hi,
is there a alternative to
iConnectAudio4+ ?
I would like to get two iPads together - no computer - but external gear (Midi+audio).
Greetings!

Comments

• Not that I've seen. It is a pretty special product. What's wrong with the ica4?

• @Processaurus said:
    Not that I've seen. It is a pretty special product. What's wrong with the ica4?

Nothing so far, I would order it, I thought maybe there are more products on the market meanwhile.
    Thanks!

• the approach of iConnectivity is a really tough one - and I doubt many will dare to dive into such uncertain terrain today.
    That's why I forgive them a number of flaws (of the inconvenience type, no dealbreakers).
    I don't use my iCA4+ to it's full extend, mostly it's the iPad connected to either Pro Tools TDM under OS-9 (analog channels 3+4 and Midi DIN) or a Win XP DAW with a Creamware DSP system.
    But even in this limited setup it's extremely useful.
    The routing options may look chalkenging at first glance, but those are it's true strength.
    Fairly reliable with few cable hassle.

• I love my iConnectAudio4+. Two computers, two iOS, devices, or one of each.
    Audio in to MAC routed to iPad for effects, simultaneously route same audio direct into iPad.
    It's awesome. I couldn't find anyone else making anything quite the same.

• edited June 2018

I’ve been trying the IDAM route with two iPads and it’s pretty unstable when added to an Aggregate device with my FocusRite Audio interface so I’m taking the plunge on the Midi+4 and will set it up tomorrow.

Looks like the best game in town these days for this kind of mixed iOS and macOS config

• For me the iCA4+ is the heart of my multidevice (3 ipads, ms2000, circuit, nanokontrol and bsp) setup. I usually work with one or two devices connected but when I want to connect everything I get this beauty out. I love it and trust it because it works, very stable and gives me a lot less surprises than the alternatives Ive tried.

• @Satie said:
    Hi,
    is there a alternative to
    iConnectAudio4+ ?

Nope.

• edited June 2018

I currently have the iconnect Midi2+ and will be upgrading to the 4+. I was testing out the Midi routing to get acquainted with the setup before it arrives tomorrow...oh boy what cable madness :p

Looking forward to getting two iPads and a USB hub connected with it in 1 single device.

• Meh. FWIW, i ordered the ConnectMidi4+ and it was a horrible experience. It arrived today and well, it didn’t work. Audio from the iPad continuously dropped out and none of my connected USB devices showed up in Ableton.

Returning it tomorrow to Amazon.

Guess I’ll just stick with the ConnectMidi2+ which is working thankfully.

Quality Control of these devices is for the birds. I had to get a replacement for the ConnectMidi2+ when i bought it last year.

Fickle things these are...if you get one make sure it’s easy to return if it doesn’t work for you.

• @echoopera My Audio4+ was actually a returned open-box model and I’ve had no problems with mine. I’ve never tried the audiobridge to a desktop as I pretty much only use iOS and rarely Windows only to manage files. I’ve heard the audio pass through on Windows is not worth it.

• Hey, could someone please explain how one would use two or more connected iPads in a recording situation? What are the advantages and how does it affect workflow? Thanks!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Hey, could someone please explain how one would use two or more connected iPads in a recording situation? What are the advantages and how does it affect workflow? Thanks!

I mostly use 1 iPad for basic structure, then 2nd iPad is setup to receive external midi/play freely on top. Kinda jamming on top of the „song“, all into Logic, to adjust/effect/route later on. Thanks to iConnectMidi4+ I can have all these connected in diverse ways. Runs reliably for long sessions. This way it feels more like jamming with a band, which I miss sort of... .

• No problems with an ICM4 and an iCA4 here.

@animal said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Hey, could someone please explain how one would use two or more connected iPads in a recording situation? What are the advantages and how does it affect workflow? Thanks!

I mostly use 1 iPad for basic structure, then 2nd iPad is setup to receive external midi/play freely on top. Kinda jamming on top of the „song“, all into Logic, to adjust/effect/route later on. Thanks to iConnectMidi4+ I can have all these connected in diverse ways. Runs reliably for long sessions. This way it feels more like jamming with a band, which I miss sort of... .

I had good luck with a similar idea, using one ipad (the more powerful) for all the audio stuff, and another one for midi. Another scenario was more of a keyboard setup, using instruments on one and effects on another. The upside of two ipads is seeing two things at once, but the downside is that audio routing, midi routing, sync, and recalling setups is harder. Hence the idea of splitting up the roles the two devices are playing.

• As long as you keep both systems busy there's few trouble to be expected.
    If one system enters power saving mode, it may become a source of momentary confusion - at least that was my impression with a Windoze box together with an iPad.
    (but to a degree far lower than expected, rare events only)

• My new iCA4+ arrived. Out of the box I only got one USB port working on an iPad (+Midi and Audio in/out). The second USB port works neither on IOS nor with Win7.
    Try to update the firmware but the iCA4+ is not recognized on the computer - on both USB
    I also tested iConfig and Auracle (software from iconnectity). The software installations seem to be fine.
    Any suggestions before I send the device back?

• edited June 2018

@Satie said:
    My new iCA4+ arrived. Out of the box I only got one USB port working on an iPad (+Midi and Audio in/out). The second USB port works neither on IOS nor with Win7.
    Try to update the firmware but the iCA4+ is not recognized on the computer - on both USB
    I also tested iConfig and Auracle (software from iconnectity). The software installations seem to be fine.

Sounds like the same sort of issues i had. However mine kept dropping the audio and Midi signals...so i shipped it back for a refund.

I about pulled out my hair with the darn thing. I think their QA process is not the best when testing these units.

• @Satie said:
    My new iCA4+ arrived. Out of the box I only got one USB port working on an iPad (+Midi and Audio in/out). The second USB port works neither on IOS nor with Win7.

get an rma. might have got damaged during shipping. my own unit is over 2 years old at this point and i haven't faced any issues with it. i use it literally every day.

• Reopening this topic since according to their website, iConnectivity will no long be manufacturing the ICA4+. It’s been “retired”. I’ve had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the unit (mostly love) & and the iConfig software has been a bit of a challenge but once mastered (kind of), this thing has been a beast. The routing options between my iPad and Mac have been great. Yes, I know we have the IDAM route, but it just doesn’t work as well for me. Fortunately my ICA4+ is still hanging in there but it can’t last forever.
    So, 2 years after the initial post asked “Is there an alternative to iConnectAudio4+ “?
    Is there?

• @Philh0954 said:
    Reopening this topic since according to their website, iConnectivity will no long be manufacturing the ICA4+. It’s been “retired”. I’ve had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the unit (mostly love) & and the iConfig software has been a bit of a challenge but once mastered (kind of), this thing has been a beast. The routing options between my iPad and Mac have been great. Yes, I know we have the IDAM route, but it just doesn’t work as well for me. Fortunately my ICA4+ is still hanging in there but it can’t last forever.
    So, 2 years after the initial post asked “Is there an alternative to iConnectAudio4+ “?
    Is there?

In a single package, I don't think there is. You can have similar audio functionality by using an audio interface with ADAT input paired with an USB ADAT interface like this. You wouldn't be able to replicate the MIDI functionality this way though.

• I already own the Mio10...and soon I;ll have a Soundcraft Multitrack Mtk mixer.

I already have the Motu M2 as my ios soundcard.

I run a Ipad Pro with a Kensigton hub...and I don't think I have another available usb port to return my tracks back to the mixer through usb cable.

Will a Iconnect Playaudio12 make more sense in my situation, rather than IconnectAudio4+?

• @NoiseFloored said:

@Philh0954 said:
    Reopening this topic since according to their website, iConnectivity will no long be manufacturing the ICA4+. It’s been “retired”. I’ve had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the unit (mostly love) & and the iConfig software has been a bit of a challenge but once mastered (kind of), this thing has been a beast. The routing options between my iPad and Mac have been great. Yes, I know we have the IDAM route, but it just doesn’t work as well for me. Fortunately my ICA4+ is still hanging in there but it can’t last forever.
    Is there?

In a single package, I don't think there is. You can have similar audio functionality by using an audio interface with ADAT input paired with an USB ADAT interface like this. You wouldn't be able to replicate the MIDI functionality this way though.

Are you using currently? Have seen mixed reviews for it.

• Looks like they are trying to upsell to PlayAudio for same features and no midi ports, but it can do virtual midi ports. Lack of Audio in is huge problem though, I have audio going into my iPad directly with ICA4+. No aggregate devices on iOS, so you now need a computer for 2nd device with PlayAudio.

• @Philh0954 said:
    Is there?

Can you post a link to the info? I can't see any announcement.
    I wonder if they are planning a new interface?

• @auxmux said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@Philh0954 said:
    Is there?

Are you using currently? Have seen mixed reviews for it.

I did for a while and it worked just fine, but the Scarlett I had was overkill for my setup so I just sticked with the iCA4+ and gave away the ADAT interface to @ksound, maybe he can share his experience so far.

• @Carnbot said:

@Philh0954 said:
    Is there?

It's on their audio interface page.

• edited May 2020

@Carnbot said:

@Philh0954 said:
    Is there?

It’s not much of an announcement. It’s just listed as a “retired product” at the bottom of this page.
    https://www.iconnectivity.com/all-products

Concerning a new interface, this was posted on the iConnectivity FaceBook page:

actually the demand has increased over the last year or two. The issue is that some of the critical components were discontinued and it became impossible to manufacture additional units. We have a replacement in the works that will be announced sometime in the nearish future. Additionally, much like some of our other devices that we’ve discontinued and recently added support for in our new software we will do the same with iConnectAUDIO4+

• @Philh0954 said:

@Carnbot said:

@Philh0954 said:
    Is there?

It’s not much of an announcement. It’s just listed as a “retired product” at the bottom of this page.
    https://www.iconnectivity.com/all-products

Concerning a new interface, this was posted on the iConnectivity FaceBook page:

actually the demand has increased over the last year or two. The issue is that some of the critical components were discontinued and it became impossible to manufacture additional units. We have a replacement in the works that will be announced sometime in the nearish future. Additionally, much like some of our other devices that we’ve discontinued and recently added support for in our new software we will do the same with iConnectAUDIO4+

Thanks, yeah hopefully they'll release a new model in the same price bracket, might get a playAudio12 when i can afford it too.

• Why would they discontinue? Seems that increasingly you'd want that flexibility, now that iPad and iPhones can really bring something to Ableton or Logic. Or is it just that with IDAM, all you need is a USB hub?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Why would they discontinue? Seems that increasingly you'd want that flexibility, now that iPad and iPhones can really bring something to Ableton or Logic. Or is it just that with IDAM, all you need is a USB hub?

They mentioned in a facebook post that they are unable to get some of the critical components to manufacture it.

• @Philh0954 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Why would they discontinue? Seems that increasingly you'd want that flexibility, now that iPad and iPhones can really bring something to Ableton or Logic. Or is it just that with IDAM, all you need is a USB hub?

They mentioned in a facebook post that they are unable to get some of the critical components to manufacture it.

Aha.