Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording midi from AUM

Dear people,

I am trying to find a way to record midi from my apps via AUM without buying a DAW. Any suggestions on a app or even if this is possible without a DAW.

Cheers
IM

Comments

• @theinvisibleman said:
    Dear people,

I am trying to find a way to record midi from my apps via AUM without buying a DAW. Any suggestions on a app or even if this is possible without a DAW.

Cheers
    IM

Do midi sequencers count as DAWs? Is Modstep a DAW? Is Xequence? Infinite looper?

• AUM doesn’t record midi, yet anyway.
    I suggest the awesome free app Sequencism.

sequencism by Rodrigo Roman
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sequencism/id1240952241?mt=8

• Thanks Cracklepot! I will check it out now.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if AUM could record midi as well!

I just love the live feel of AUM and i’m Reluctant to use a DAW on the iPad. I have a DAW on my PC.

• @theinvisibleman said:
    Thanks Cracklepot! I will check it out now.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if AUM could record midi as well!

It would indeed be awesome if AUM optionally recorded the MIDI pointed at a given track when recording it. Could be stored in AUM with the same name.

At one point anyway, this was a part of the plan for Loopy2. Hope it makes the final cut.

I just love the live feel of AUM and i’m Reluctant to use a DAW on the iPad. I have a DAW on my PC.

You could always record it to your PC if you have a MIDI connection. Or via wifi or something.

• I wonder if it's technically possible for an AU-MIDI app to capture incoming MIDI (rather than just generate MIDI)?

• edited June 2018

Hi guys, I have no problem recording midi on the pc via Ableton but I love making stuff when traveling. Just be easier and safer to record the midi when I’m jamming at the moment.

Cracklepot; does sequencism record midi via AUM?

• edited June 2018

So as far as I can see sequencism does not record midi from AUM. Does anyone know of a midi recorder that can record midi directly from AUM? Or am I looking at beat maker 3?

• edited June 2018

Edit..

Beathawk 2..... I think..

• @theinvisibleman said:
    So as far as I can see sequencism does not record midi from AUM. Does anyone know of a midi recorder that can record midi directly from AUM? Or am I looking at beat maker 3?

It will appears that I'm a Modstep fanatic but...I record midi from AUM (Rozeta mainly) by Modstep. Then, you can export, modify, or play the loop.

• @theinvisibleman said:

Modestep, Xequence, and (I think) Infinite Looper all will record midi for apps hosted in AUM.

• Modestep can record midi out from AUM?

• @theinvisibleman said:
    Modestep can record midi out from AUM?

Any app with a MIDI IN Virtual Port and the ability to capture incoming MIDI data can record MIDI from AUM. In AUM's MIDI Routing window, route the thing generating the MIDI information to 1) the instrument you want to hear and 2) the Virtual Port of the app you're trying to record into. Hit record in the target app. Hit play in AUM.

• edited June 2018

@theinvisibleman said:
    Modestep can record midi out from AUM?

Yes. It's my basic midi workflow.

AUM channel --> Rozeta Arpeggio --> Synth --> Play --> Ok, I like this progression
    AUM channel --> Rozeta Arpeggio --> Modstep --> New Track --> Midi Input Modstep

• edited June 2018

• @theinvisibleman said:
    so Modestep has ability to capture incoming MIDI data?

Dude.

• you replied as i was typing

• Ok great but modestep looks way too complex, i was looking for just a simple way to record midi from some tracks from AUM. Thanks for your help guys, it seems alot of apps record midi input.

• Gadget can also record mid from AUM

• @theinvisibleman said:

In AUM, open the MidiMatrix to route your Midi to Sequencism Virtual. So, say Rozeta Bassline to Sequencism.

• @CracklePot said:

@theinvisibleman said:

In AUM, open the MidiMatrix to route your Midi to Sequencism Virtual. So, say Rozeta Bassline to Sequencism.

Thanks man, I got this part, I just need to figure out the set-up in Sequencism. It looks the perfect solution for me!

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:

@theinvisibleman said:

So currently sequencism doesn’t record midi from AUM but the developer who is awesome will look into it but of course no promises as it is design as a minimal standalone sequencer/sketchpad.

• @theinvisibleman said:

@CracklePot said:

@theinvisibleman said:

So currently sequencism doesn’t record midi from AUM but the developer who is awesome will look into it but of course no promises as it is design as a minimal standalone sequencer.

That is strange. I am able to do record midi from AUM into Sequencism just fine.

• Strange maybe I didn’t explain it correctly to him.

• Can you contact him maybe?

• I will refer him to this forum

• @theinvisibleman Would you like me to make you a tutorial real quick?

• edited June 2018

The way you set it up doesn’t actually play a instrument within AUM I believe it only send midi direct to sequencism, so maybe that is the confusion? Mmm I’m not sure.

• You have to load a midi out as your instrument in Sequencism and set that to AUM destination. AUM sends midi to Sequencism, it gets recorded and sent back to AUM. In AUM set your synth to receive from AUM destination.

Once you have the midi recorded and are sending it back to AUM, you have to select a different track in Sequencism to break the input link to the track you just recorded and are playing back. Otherwise you will get both inputs going into your synth app. Since Sequencism routes midi to the active selected track, maybe make a dummy blank track (no instrument) to serve as “none selected”.

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:
    You have to load a midi out as your instrument in Sequencism and set that to AUM destination. AUM sends midi to Sequencism, it gets recorded and sent back to AUM. In AUM set your synth to receive from AUM destination.

Once you have the midi recorded and are sending it back to AUM, you have to select a different track in Sequencism to break the input link to the track you just recorded and are playing back. Otherwise you will get both inputs going into your synth app. Since Sequencism routes midi to the active selected track, maybe make a dummy blank track (no instrument) to serve as “none selected”.

All of this is news to me :D

• I tried but failed, I only see midi out within sequencism. Too much routing for my brain.