Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WWDC - so its hallelujah day today

Comments

• Everybody just comments out from their own personal expectations and how it affects them.

So, I'm going to do the same.

I didn't have any expectations going into the keynote. That's better than believing in a bunch of rumors, gossip, nonsense and then being disappointed because they didn't release a brand new (insert item here). WWDC is a developers conference, and while they have showed new hardware there from time to time, it's certainly not guaranteed and it's not what the conference is about.

I'm all set with Apple devices at the moment and I'm not planning to buy anymore in 2018, so I don't care one bit that no new hardware was shown at WWDC. Any new Apple hardware being released this year will be presented at another event obviously, like in the fall for the new iPhones and possibly other items?

So all of these software improvements are a good thing for me and my already existing devices and Macs. They are going to last me a very long time, and I'll be enjoying them and getting max usage out of them in that time. And my Apple stock went up today again. $$$.

And this might not be a huge thing, but I'm glad to see dark mode finally on Mac. I've been waiting a long time for that. I'll probably be using that a lot when it gets released with the new OS.

So, all in all, I'd say that it was an ok keynote. Certainly not the best keynote ever, but a lot of software improvements were shown, both on iOS, Mac, Apple TV and Apple Watch.

If anybody didn't get their hardware announcement that they were waiting for, then I don't care, because it doesn't affect me. I'm all set.

• Intua had a free million dollar advertising spot at the conference. Apple knows a good developer when they see one. Good on them. They deserve it. @mathieugarcia

• For musicians:

• better iOS stability
    • faster app loading
    • improvement of metal engine means: less CPU usage for apps like Moog Model 15
    • we could use "shortcuts" to load music configurations
    • we could program Siri to start actions - developer can integrate Siri into music apps ("faster, faster!", "stop!")
    • ARKit 2 could be used to program controls for our music programs, using the sensors of our iOS devices or, for example, to program a virtual MPC etc.
    • some of our iOS music apps will make their way into the Mac app store (this means: better integration of iOS music production into Mac music productions and: our developers maybe can earn some extra money - which helps our market segment)

Imho helpful:

• Facetime Groupchat for music projects/bands
    • better privacy control
    • tracking prevention in Safari
    • oh, and singing memojis and emojis.... ;-)
  • @brambos said:
    If those performance increases materiaize for us that’s pretty good news though. It means they added at least another year of usable life to all current devices. That’s something, right?

If it means I can run an instance of Model 15 and an instance of Model D alongside Ruismaker FM, with an effect app or 2 in each channel, without my Pro 9.7 turning into a crackle-fest, I’ll be happy.

• Elton John / Siri Seem To Be The Hardest Word

(They don’t interlace ‘em like this any more!)

• @Beathoven said:

@brambos said:
    If those performance increases materiaize for us that’s pretty good news though. It means they added at least another year of usable life to all current devices. That’s something, right?

If it means I can run an instance of Model 15 and an instance of Model D alongside Ruismaker FM, with an effect app or 2 in each channel, without my Pro 9.7 turning into a crackle-fest, I’ll be happy.

I might've missed it because I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I was under the impression that they're focusing on app launch, not continued usage of an app. Anyone else?

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    For musicians:

• better iOS stability
    • faster app loading
    • improvement of metal engine means: less CPU usage for apps like Moog Model 15
    • we could use "shortcuts" to load music configurations
    • we could program Siri to start actions - developer can integrate Siri into music apps ("faster, faster!", "stop!")
    • ARKit 2 could be used to program controls for our music programs, using the sensors of our iOS devices or, for example, to program a virtual MPC etc.
    • some of our iOS music apps will make their way into the Mac app store (this means: better integration of iOS music production into Mac music productions and: our developers maybe can earn some extra money - which helps our market segment)

Imho helpful:

• Facetime Groupchat for music projects/bands
    • better privacy control
    • tracking prevention in Safari
    • oh, and singing memojis and emojis.... ;-)

Yep.

• @CrazySynthMan said:
    I'm all set with Apple devices at the moment and I'm not planning to buy anymore in 2018, so I don't care one bit that no new hardware was shown at WWDC. Any new Apple hardware being released this year will be presented at another event obviously, like in the fall for the new iPhones and possibly other items?

Apple is not consistent with hardware release dates. For instance, iPad Pro 10.5 was announced at their WWDC during June 2017. The June conference is WWDC for software announcements for developers. They have another during Sep/Oct which is Special Event meant for hardware announcements product launches meant for press (which can also happen during Mar/Apr or throughout the year):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

• edited June 2018

@universe said:
    Intua had a free million dollar advertising spot at the conference. Apple knows a good developer when they see one. Good on them. They deserve it. @mathieugarcia

Not so much as a million dollar campaign. Maybe a couple of thousand bucks of advertising at best if anything. DJ Pro 2 had a better visibility and advertising at the event but still not a million dollar campaign's worth. The effect of advertising does not convert from just one spot - it needs a lot of frequency, remarketing and repeated ads before users notice it and act on the call.

• edited June 2018

So they integrated the acquired Workflow app into iOS as => Shortcuts, huh?

They may discontinue the Workflow app after iOS 12 is released - like they did with Alchemy Mobile after acquiring Camel and integrating Alchemy into GB.

• edited June 2018

First performance impression from the beta...

• edited June 2018

@rthr said:

It doesn't make sense.

I thought that there was this whole huge conspiracy by Apple to intentionally slow down older devices and make them obsolete, so that people were forced to buy new iPhones, or so they say.

But then, why would Apple intentionally make older iPhones significantly faster in certain tasks and improve their usability? This is like breathing new life into some of those older devices.

• @powerobject said:

Apple is not consistent with hardware release dates. For instance, iPad Pro 10.5 was announced at their WWDC during June 2017. The June conference is WWDC for software announcements for developers. They have another during Sep/Oct which is Special Event meant for hardware announcements product launches meant for press (which can also happen during Mar/Apr or throughout the year):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

I agree that not all Apple products have had consistent release dates.

• edited June 2018

@CrazySynthMan said:

@rthr said:

It doesn't make sense.

I thought that there was this whole huge conspiracy by Apple to intentionally slow down older devices and make them obsolete, so that people were forced to buy new iPhones, or so they say.

But then, why would Apple intentionally make older iPhones significantly faster in certain tasks and improve their usability? This is like breathing new life into some of those older devices.

I know right. People are always like "I don't want those silly new features, I wish they'd just fix their current OS". And that's exactly what they did and now those same people are like "yawn, such a boring keynote. Where is the new stuff?". :D

• @CrazySynthMan said:

@rthr said:

It doesn't make sense.

Well they did slow them down. That’s a fact. Whether it was done deliberately to generate sales of new devices is something we’ll never know, but I have a perfectly good iPad 2 here that was completely crippled by an iOS update, which meant I had to upgrade my hardware. So at least in my case that was the outcome. Same thing with my MacBook Pro, but fortunately a hard drive update has made it usable again.

They’re apparently reversing the damage done because people complained about it.

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

lets have it a little more complex
    hey Siri "load basic kit" and basic kit is whatever you define ...
    show previously used
    hm
    load that session from last week
    :o

hey Siri play all snare drums samples ...
    play previous recordings
    hey Siri find similar samples, omg
    :o

What if you would sample some "hey siri" commands and create some complex automations like that?

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2018

@universe said:
    A whole thread of users that are about to switch to Android what with all the complaining about Apple ? I just don’t get why people here don’t stop using Apple with so much hate on all the threads. Just don’t use their products. Simple

>

What you don’t get is that people like to discuss Apple, the good and the bad. We used to be able to do that, and in the process provide feedback. No one here hates Apple, and no one making IOS based music would even consider going to the mess that is Android.

It’s only since (anti) social media manufactured a generation scared shitless of offending anyone, that robust discussion became more difficult. ;)

• @MonzoPro said:

Well they did slow them down. That’s a fact. Whether it was done deliberately to generate sales of new devices is something we’ll never know

It was done when certain iPhone models reported poor and/or failing battery health.

Apple should have explained the issue better when it was first implemented, and there wouldn't have been as much outrage and ignorance about it, but what they did makes logical sense imo.

• Yeah that's brilliant if that 30% performance boost is similar for audio too, maybe it will fix the AU ui glitches.

• edited June 2018

@brambos said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@rthr said:

It doesn't make sense.

I know right. People are always like "I don't want those silly new features, I wish they'd just fix their current OS". And that's exactly what they did and now those same people are like "yawn, such a boring keynote. Where is the new stuff?". :D

Totally agree with @brambos What I took from this WWDC was Apple is focused on making the fastest, user friendly OS without alienating legacy users. I'm sure iOS 12 was in development before the whole battery age/performance drain story broke but l think the controversy, along with general complaints about poor performance the last few versions, has spurred them on to focus on the steak & less on the sizzle.

I'm happy that some goofy emoji meme's are the biggest new gimmick of iOS12 so far.

This article touches on the event, and touches on how legacy devices were a top priority:

http://www.arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/06/ios-12-announced-with-focus-on-improved-performance/

I used to subscribe that a computer/device functions best with the OS it was released with/designed for. But I said eff it and went from iOS 8 to 9 on my Air 2, then "risked" going from 9 to 10. When I heard some reviews and first hand experiences here on the forum re: iOS11 I said "well, I've come this far" and updated...my Air 2 has run as good as it ever did on 11. So that old therory is debunked in my mind, and after I let some others test it, I'm pretty certain I will update to iOS 12 in the fall.

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@Beathoven said:

@brambos said:

I might've missed it because I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I was under the impression that they're focusing on app launch, not continued usage of an app. Anyone else?

I think they just used app launch as an example of how the performance improvements will affect the average user. Personally, I’ve never had a problem with the amount of time it takes an app to launch. It doesn’t matter to me if iSEM launches in AUM in 4 seconds or 2 and a half. What does matter is how much the apps I have open draw on the CPU. Any improvements in this area would be most welcome. For the vast majority of iOS users it’s not going to make a noticeable difference in day to day use, but should extend the useable life of their phone. For those of us who use apps that are more demanding on the CPU (musickers, power gamers, movie makers), there should be a noticeable difference in what our devices are capable of. Shouldn’t there?

• @brambos said:

+1

• edited June 2018

@MonzoPro said:
    They’re apparently reversing the damage done because people complained about it.

Apple always does performance focused releases every couple of years. On iOS and Mac.

Development works like this: Create. Refine. And like everything else that simply takes time...

• @JRSIV said:

@brambos said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@rthr said:

It doesn't make sense.

Totally agree with @brambos What I took from this WWDC was Apple is focused on making the fastest, user friendly OS without alienating legacy users. I'm sure iOS 12 was in development before the whole battery age/performance drain story broke but l think the controversy, along with general complaints about poor performance the last few versions, has spurred them on to focus on the steak & less on the sizzle.

I'm happy that some goofy emoji meme's are the biggest new gimmick of iOS12 so far.

I agree, to some extent. I just wish Apple would focus a bit less on the passive users of their devices and a bit more on those who are more involved and like/need to push their device a bit harder. That hall was full of app developers. I’m sure they weren’t all developing emoji and pretty wallpaper apps. There may have been a few devs of movie editing apps or sophisticated vector drawing software; maybe even a few music app devs.

• @brambos said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@rthr said:

It doesn't make sense.

That was a bit glib. I’m sure it’s not the same people. :)

• @Beathoven said:

I agree, to some extent. I just wish Apple would focus a bit less on the passive users of their devices and a bit more on those who are more involved and like/need to push their device a bit harder. That hall was full of app developers. I’m sure they weren’t all developing emoji and pretty wallpaper apps. There may have been a few devs of movie editing apps or sophisticated vector drawing software; maybe even a few music app devs.

There was all kinds of stuff like that announced and demoed at the second session. “Platforms State of the Union”

2+ hours of power user stuff stuff Metal 2, eGPUs, Machine Learning so much stuff I can’t remember right now

• @brambos said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@rthr said:

It doesn't make sense.

Amen. People here are always complaining. You can’t win.

• @Zen210507 said:

@universe said:
    A whole thread of users that are about to switch to Android what with all the complaining about Apple ? I just don’t get why people here don’t stop using Apple with so much hate on all the threads. Just don’t use their products. Simple

>

What you don’t get is that people like to discuss Apple, the good and the bad. We used to be able to do that, and in the process provide feedback. No one here hates Apple, and no one making IOS based music would even consider going to the mess that is Android.

It’s only since (anti) social media manufactured a generation scared shitless of offending anyone, that robust discussion became more difficult. ;)

What YOU don’t get is that yes there have been many messages on this forum from people absolutely desecrating Apple on every level imaginable. If I had the time i would dig them out. There’s a huge difference beteeen that and a sound discussion.

The irony is that half of these people were probably the ones who said the iPad was going to fail and no one would buy it as it was just a large iPhone. Probably the same people that before that said the iPhone was going to flop as it had no keyboard and was too expensive, and who would use a phone without a keyboard. And look what happened next.

I have my money on trusting that Apple know what they’re doing much more than anyone else here. When some guys on this forum can show they are world class soft and hardware engineers rather than whiny complainers on any step that Apple takes, then I’ll certainly listen.

Your next point is void too. You must live in a parrallel universe. The social media generation is scared shitless of offending anyone ? Huh? It’s the complete opposite where anyone says whatever they like about anything or anyone in part due to the annonimity.