Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rozetaum Effectraum

Howzabout we use Rozeta and AUM to recreate a version of Effectrix that lets you use any iOS effect app you want per step?

Basic idea: set up a source channel and 8 different effects on 8 different AUM busses. Then, use a Rozeta sequencer and AUM’s built-in MIDI CTRL to toggle each effect on and off.

I wrote up a big description of how to set this up but figured it would be easier if I just attached an AUM patch to use as a template. It has the source, sequencer and 8 FX channels set up and all of the MIDI CTRL mappings ready to go.

I’m using AudioBus’ sweet preset saving+sharing system to share it here but it’s really entirely in AUM. You could, of course, use AudioBus as the “source” or integrate it however you see fit. Once loaded, save the empty AB state or AUM session to reuse later. If you save the AUM session within AUM, you will not need to load AudioBus in the future. Unless you want to.

Audiobus preset 'Effectraum': http://preset.audiob.us/5qY4yhLFwexxeCa

Hopefully that actually works. Please let me know if it doesn’t.

Quick start

1. Load the linked AB preset and then open AUM.
  2. Add something to the “Source” channel. Can be any sound source you want to mess with. AB input, file player, synth, hardware input, whatever.
  3. Add any FX apps you want to the 8 busses. You might leave one empty to use as an clean/original channel. You might leave one empty and turn it down to zero to use as a mute/rest channel.
  4. Hit play. There’s already a default sequence loaded in Cells that will toggle the effects. It’s set to random.
  5. Go tweak the sequence to do what you actually want. The 8 white keys from C3 to C4 will toggle the 8 different FX. The template is setup for 8 channels but you can reduce this number to whatever you need. Just set the sequence to only use those notes.
  6. Profit and/or call your mother.

Long start

The quick start section above is probably all you need. This section describes an alternate FX switching method and adds some detail that might be helpful for new custom setups you drum up.

The template actually has two different ways to control the effect switching. You can use the sequencer to toggle the “Source” channel’s send amounts or use the sequencer to toggle the mute states of each FX bus. They basically produce the same results but there are some differences.

Benefits of the “Sends” version:
* Allows for tails to ring out if the bus effect is a delay or reverb type thing
* Can combine effects by sending to two busses at once using velocity 64. More on this later.
* All busses are unmuted so that they can be used with other inputs if desired. Also means you could add sends to the bus channels themselves like adding a little of the reverb bus to the bit crush bus or whatever.

Benefits of the “Bus” version:
* No effect tails. Nice and choppy.
* A little easier to set up because note velocity doesn’t matter. With the sends version the note velocity is mapped to send amount. For Effectrix style stuff, you have to make sure all notes are sending at 127.

Set it all up

The setup for each version is a little different. The attachedtemplate is set up for the “Sends” version by default.

For the “Sends” version... set all sends on the source channel to zero. Unmute all bus channels. The sequencer will toggle the different send amounts. The note velocity determines the send amount. For full switching, the velocities should generally be 127.

Use the 8 white keys from C3 to C4 toggle send amounts.

For the “Bus” version... set all sends on the source channel to 100% and mute all of the bus channels. The MIDI notes in the sequencer will toggle the bus mutes. Velocity doesnt matter.

Use the 8 white keys from C5 to C6 toggle bus mutes.

They both use the same set of 8 notes in different octaves so that you can just transpose your sequence up or down if you want to switch modes.

In either version, you probably want to set the sequencer’s step/gate length to 100%. Anything shorter will leave empty space between steps. Anything longer will overlap effects. Up to you.

Sequence the FX changes/make the magic

The template is set up with Rozeta Cells but most sequencers should work. I haven’t tried it yet but Quantum, for instance, has some features that would be great for driving this.

Set the sequencer’s clock divider to determine how often the effects switch. Even at fast clock divisions, AUM handles it all like a boss. If using Quantum, you can set the clock division per step to hold effects for longer spans. If using a Rozeta sequencer, enter the same note twice in a row to extend its length.

Using the MIDI notes noted above, create linear sequences in Cells just like you would in Effectrix. The order of the notes will determine the order in which the fx are applied to the source. Make sure Cells is set to “Linear” playback mode.

You can, of course, create several different linear sequences and use the 8 sequence slots to toggle between them. You can also point another sequencer with a slow clock division or the AUM keyboard at Cells to switch sequences. The MIDI mappings in the template are set up so that they will not collide with the Rozeta defaults for switching.

Or, set up a bunch of different cells all over the place and set the play mode to Random or Free. Whatever. If you want one effect to be then “main” sound, just be sure to add a lot of those cells. If you’re using Random playback mode those “main” cells can be anywhere. If you’re using Free playback mode you probably want to set up some sort of grid with those main cells laid out evenly. Then fill in then cells in between them with other notes.

Buncha random notes

In Rozeta Cells you might try setting the default velocity to 127 and the accent velocity to 64. Otherwise, you have to manually accent most/all steps. With this setup you can also put two notes in a given cell and then accent just that one so that it sends both notes at half velocity. This will set the two different sends at 50% each which should hopefully keep everything at about the same level. The template is already set up this way.

Depending on the source material and FX settings things can start to overload at 100% send levels. If thats the case, just set the default velocity to 120 or whatever. As long as they’re all the same velocity you shouldn’t have any volume dips.

You can also use the AUM keyboard to do all of this switching stuff. Just connect the keyboard to the MIDI CTRL destination in AUM’s MIDI Routing and bang away on the white keys. Or use an external device. Just map it to MIDI CTRL.

When setting up the different effects, I found it helpful to soft eject Rozeta (drag the input icon left and leave it) and then use the keyboard to turn on different sends while setting the effects. Or just turn up the send amounts temporarily.

Setting Rozeta ARP as the MIDI Control source, you can feed it chords via the AUM keyboard or from Cells. Set the ARP velocity to 127 and set accent interval to 0. Works a treat but there’s no way that I could find to set the gate length to 100% so there is a gap between each toggle. Still, sounds cool. Just a different sort of effect. Maybe I’m just missing a setting though?

A note on the MIDI mapping for Bus mode...
The MIDI mapping for bus muting makes use of AUM’s clever “invert” mode as well as the ability to turn off toggling. They’re all set up with invert ON and toggle OFF. By muting all channels at the start and setting the MIDI control of the mutes to inverted we can send a single held note to unmute a channel for a given stretch of time. Without this, we’d have to send 7 notes at time! Or, without the ability to set it to not toggle, we’d have to send two notes for every change; one to unmute the target channel and one to mute whatever was unmuted previously. Meh.

These notes are included in the AUM “notes” screen. Hopefully that’s actually included in the AB state save.

Hope this is fun/useful to some one!

Comments

• Thank you very much Mr Core. I’m a big AUM user, so I’ll give this a spin later.

• Great will give it a try later looks deep.

• @syrupcore This is useful for generating soundscapes and adding Rozeta LFOs into the mix can provide even more variety and control. Good tip to use Audiobus preset saving to share AUM presets and your notes were saved too.

• @syrupcore This is cool. Thanks for putting the time in on this. Much appreciated!

• Thanks @syrupcore . Will check this out tonight after work

• Is there any way to use this preset if you don't have Audiobus?

• Hm, might be a dumb question, but what is the benefit of using Audiobus preset instead of just saving the AUM project?

• @syrupcore This is super fun, thanks.

• edited June 2018

Ace! Particularly your use of the Notes area. Your setting the bar on Aum patches @syrupcore

• @Billflinton said:
    Hm, might be a dumb question, but what is the benefit of using Audiobus preset instead of just saving the AUM project?

It’s really only for ease of sharing. Otherwise I’d have export the AUM project file and host it somewhere. I figure since we’re on the AB forum...

• Thanks a lot @syrupcore - a very cool idea and extensive realisation, even with include documentation !

I just played around with mashing up a drum sequence and lots of AudioDamage AUs, Objeq AU and DerVoco (with a internal synth on ‚hold‘ notes) => a really crazy, but interesting outcome :D
    Now I need to tame that beast of preset to become musical by using cell setups B)

• Dude this is AWESOME! Many thanks!

• @syrupcore said:
    It’s really only for ease of sharing. Otherwise I’d have export the AUM project file and host it somewhere. I figure since we’re on the AB forum...

Got it, thanks!

The idea and implementation are amazing, I spent way too many hours yesterday just playing around with my forgotten not used loops and bunch of effects paired with additional Rozeta LFOs for more variability. Pure fun!

• Hmmm... very interesting. Contemplating ways to simplify setting something like this up (possibly with a new Rozeta module)... B)

• edited June 2018

@brambos said:
    Hmmm... very interesting. Contemplating ways to simplify setting something like this up (possibly with a new Rozeta module)... B)

Yes, yes, YES! (Jumping up and down with excitement!) :)

• @syrupcore

Thanks man! Took me a while to fiddle out that I can open up AUM and have all your work laid out via state saving. Clever idea, mate!
    instantly saved your file. Cool. Will dig in deeper into your description soon.

I was searching for something like this to trigger in AD EOS2 the infinity button and release it again, but never managed to find a way - this looks like a winner. Thanks for sharing!

• @brambos said:
    Hmmm... very interesting. Contemplating ways to simplify setting something like this up (possibly with a new Rozeta module)... B)

Yes please. :)

• @brambos said:

Sweet.

• edited June 2018

For those like me, who didn’t get it straight off the bat... stick with it. Not as complicated at it looks. Very powerful once you get what’s going on.

Plus, this gives you Effectrix like fx on the iPhone too :)

• @skiphunt said:
    For this like me, who didn’t get it straight off the bat... stick with it. Not as complicated at it looks. Very powerful once you get what’s going on.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Yes, it's really simple in actual use. My super coffeed over explanation is mostly just noise.

• @syrupcore said:

@skiphunt said:
    For this like me, who didn’t get it straight off the bat... stick with it. Not as complicated at it looks. Very powerful once you get what’s going on.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Yes, it's really simple in actual use. My super coffeed over explanation is mostly just noise.

No, your explanation is good. It just didn’t immediately click with me.

After I used a simple drone source, solo’d each channel, then also selected AUM’s keyboard as a midi source... it was all clear.

Then I disappeared into playing with it for over an hour, then again late last night. :)

• @syrupcore said:
    Howzabout we use Rozeta and AUM to recreate a version of Effectrix that lets you use any iOS effect app you want per step?

Hope this is fun/useful to some one!

That's pure mad genius right there, compadre. My hat is off.

• edited August 2018

@brambos said:

Curious if this bit of inspiration ever evolved into anything more. Love @syrupcore ‘s idea, but a streamlined Rozeta module would be pretty nifty :)

• @syrupcore Missed out on seeing this first time round. Very generous. Too scared to start in with it now (the old man Monday fear of midnight becoming three), but will do and looking forward.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @syrupcore Missed out on seeing this first time round. Very generous. Too scared to start in with it now (the old man Monday fear of midnight becoming three), but will do and looking forward.

It’s pretty cool and easy to set up his preset. Looks complex, but after you start assigning your fx to each channel and get get a few notes or chords sequenced, it makes sense quickly. Not a big investment of time at all before you’re making stellar sounds. Maybe 10mins. Syrupcore has already done all the heavy lifting with his preset.

Was likely somewhat tedious for him to set up, but genius in what you can do with it.

Seemed to inspire some possible Rozeta ideas from @brambos too, that could be really interesting.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @syrupcore Missed out on seeing this first time round. Very generous.

More like very nerdy but pretty fun. Like @skiphunt said, it's actually quite simple once you set it up. My write up was a verbostic conflation of how-to and a general Rozeta-AUM-MIDICONTRL-NEATO tutorial. I haven't tried vocals through it yet. I look to you.

One thing I don't think I was clear about that (potentially) simplifies things: the template is set up to utilize/showcase AUM's maximum of 8 busses (so 8 total effects). In practice, I've rarely found that number, er, practical. Usually it's just 2-3 effects/busses along with one 'dry/original' bus. All that's required to do this is to reduce the number of MIDI notes you send out from the trigger sequencer.

TBH, I haven't actually opened up this template in a while. On re-read, other than wanting to edit the original post, the main thing I'm interested in doing is trying to use Rozeta Rhythm and its Euclidean goodness as the trigger sequencer. Would just need to set the correct notes.

• @syrupcore
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing your deep R&D!