Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUDIOKIT SYNTH ONE - Pre-Release Look - This Synth Will Be 100% FREE

Thanks to Matt who kindly gave his permission to have a Pre-Release look at the frankly brilliant AudioKit One Synth

Comments

• That sounds lush!

• ive been beta testing for a while, it sounds very lush! And it’s workflow is very fast! love this thing and the reason for it existing. very cool

• Very nice!

• Very warm analog sound especially on preset #20. Great job!

• Sounds fantastic, but that first preset...mmmmmm, really good!

• This is free? That’s amazing. It sounds very comprehensive. How is this not going to put many other synth developers out of business ?

• @universe said:
    This is free? That’s amazing. It sounds very comprehensive. How is this not going to put many other synth developers out of business ?

We’re going to stop buying synths? Not me... :wink:

• Nice introduction video Doug. Love the Audiokit guys. Sounds lovely. Can't wait to play!

• @gusgranite said:

@universe said:
    This is free? That’s amazing. It sounds very comprehensive. How is this not going to put many other synth developers out of business ?

I take your point but this synth looks incredible. Sounds amazing. Will be AU. Fully versatile. And once banks of patches are made and swapped I can imagine it being able to fulfill needs across all genres making at least some other synths redundant.

• edited May 2018

Actually.... I see it from a different perspective. It may actually help drive synth sales up. :* :#

Well think about it; more kids will get their hands on a free Synth and say wow this is awesome! Now I really gotta have that Moog, SynthMaster One, Zeeon, Thor, LayR ..... and the list goes on and on. Oh wait, then they find about the AudioBus Forum and become appholics like you and I :D :D :D :D <3 <3 <3 o:) o:) :#

Well, that’s just me seeing the cup half full I guess.. <3 o:)

@universe said:

@universe said:

• edited May 2018

Amazing intro video Doug!

For those watching: Those are just the quick presets I made. Wait until you hear the presets from the professionals (Brice Beasley, Red Sky, DJ Puzzle...) They will blow you away!

• @universe said:

@gusgranite said:

@universe said:

I take your point but this synth looks incredible. Sounds amazing. Will be AU. Fully versatile. And once banks of patches are made and swapped I can imagine it being able to fulfill needs across all genres making at least some other synths redundant.

There’s already a lot of low cost, fully featured synths. This just opens up iOS music to absolutely anyone who might be curious. Maybe it will encourage other synth developers to think of new ways to differentiate their synths just like the latest IceWorks one with the funky emitters.

• @gusgranite @MusicMan4Christ i like your positive vibes outlook and hope you’re right. However much I may like a free synth like the next man, especially one as seemingly incredible as this one, I wouldn’t want one at the expense of all the hard work and livelihood of other developers. This synth is open source too so will no doubt be constantly upgraded too. It will make it harder for other developers to keep up. Like I say the selfish side of me loves it, and I like the idea of opening music up to those who otherwise wouldn’t but hopefully not at the detriment to the livelihood of others. iOS software is already lowest value going and that in turn devalues the creation of music in itself. It’s a domino affect that we are in the middle of seeing happen

• edited May 2018

@universe said:
    i like your positive vibes outlook and hope you’re right. However much I may like a free synth like the next man, especially one as seemingly incredible as this one, I wouldn’t want one at the expense of all the hard work and livelihood of other developers.

Thanks for bringing up this point:

Other developers will make money because of this project. There are already 2 very popular music apps who are integrating the AudioKit Synth Engine into their code. They don't have to pay us anything for all this free code they're getting.

AudioKit is super popular right now. There are over 5+ million app installs powered by AudioKit code. And, over 5,000+ developers using it (that we know of). They are making significant sums of money off our code. We don't see a penny.

So, when you say "at the expense of other developers", you mean me. We're the ones who are making less money, while others are bringing in money off the backs of our hard work.

There are ways to help. If you like to see these things continue, please buy AudioKit gear, or promote the AudioKit project. Without us, iOS Music would not be the same.

Every app in the app store is made possible by open-source, or someone sharing code. (No developer wrote anything in a vacuum). The more people that participate and give back, the more music apps we'll see. And, we'll see better music apps. And, we'll see more music app consumers.

i.e. It's not a zero-sum game. And, on the flipside, people with money to buy apps can use the $5 they would have spent on this AudioKit Synth to buy another developer's apps. Plus, if this is someone's first synth app, their appetite will be whetted and they'll have more money in their pocket to buy other synth apps.

Sharing of knowledge and code elevates all developers. 👍🏼

• No one synth has ever caused me to not acquire another no matter the price.
    :D

• Also, I don’t have the data to back this up but I suspect that low sales are not a result of the people who buy iOS synths NOT buying other iOS synths. It is more likely to be simply too small a pool of people buying ANY iOS music apps. This sort of initiative will likely broaden the pool and spread the word. I think it will help all music app developers in the long run.

• @analog_matt said:

@universe said:

Other developers will make money because of this project. There are already 2 very popular music apps who are integrating the AudioKit Synth Engine into their code. They don't have to pay us anything for all this free code they're getting.

AudioKit is super popular right now. There are over 5+ million app installs powered by AudioKit code. And, over 5,000+ developers using it (that we know of). They are making significant sums of money off our code. We don't see a penny.

So, when you say "at the expense of other developers", you mean me. We're the ones who are making less money, while others are bringing in money off the backs of our hard work.

This is fascinating and I had no idea. Gee whiz, Matt, you've really got "skin in this game" as they say. Someone needs to interview you for a change. Have they? I'd like to know more about the AudioKit Synth Engine and how you came about developing it, etc. If this info is already out there please point me to it.

• @analog_matt thanks for the clarification. That was an eye opener. I had no idea. I see the other side to it now. Very commendable. How do you eat though ? Mugs and t shirts surely can’t be enough.

• @analog_matt Daveypoo is doing his part over here - just ordered my official Audiokit mug for my morning swill.

• Definitely doing a mug. Thanks for this.
    Excellent video, Doug, as ever. Very Hans Zimmer. Do you have a link to the AudioKit swag?

Also looking forward to the thread where people refuse to download it because it's not AU.

• In the words of Neo...Whoa!

• i forgot to ask, when do we expect this to launch?

• @universe said:
    @analog_matt thanks for the clarification. That was an eye opener. I had no idea. I see the other side to it now. Very commendable. How do you eat though ? Mugs and t shirts surely can’t be enough.

Thank you. 🙏I don't take any money from AudioKit. I do freelance work to pay the bills. However, I would like to make music apps full time. And, hope to release some paid apps in the future...

• @Daveypoo said:
    @analog_matt Daveypoo is doing his part over here - just ordered my official Audiokit mug for my morning swill.

🙏🙌 You rock!

• Sounds and looks fantastic.

Really love the grid of LFO destinations. Quick and clear.

• @analog_matt

on the flipside, people with money to buy apps can use the $5 they would have spent on this AudioKit Synth to buy another developer's apps

CORRECTION: on the flipside, people with money to buy apps can use the $50 (FIFTY DOLLARS) they would have spent on this AudioKit Synth One to buy another developer's apps :smile:

• @universe said:

@gusgranite said:

@universe said:

I'm sure many of us iOS synth users aren't sound designers. I don't have the time or skill to build fabulous patches from the ground up. I buy synths for the presets I can quickly make basic tweaks to, so the more to choose from the better. If software synth developers keep making apps, and sound designers create great patches for them, there should be a market -- but the field has gotten crowded, and I think new synths need to offer something special to capture the imagination of good sound designers.

• edited May 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Excellent video, Doug, as ever. Very Hans Zimmer. Do you have a link to the AudioKit swag?

https://teespring.com/stores/audiokit

Just ordered a mug as well!

• @huphtur said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

https://teespring.com/stores/audiokit

Just ordered a mug as well!

Thanks!!! 🙌🏻

• Great demo, very inspiring presets!