Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why so many drum apps? - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

Here's the latest on all my drum apps and why so many!

Enjoy!

Comments

• Why so few? :D

Here at RTM Towers, we have BeatHawk, BM3, Cubasis drum IAP’s, plus this lot.....

...and on the next page, Different Drummer.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Why so few? :D

Here at RTM Towers, we have BeatHawk, BM3, Cubasis drum IAP’s, plus this lot.....

what’s MVO8 is it any good?

• @eross said:

@Zen210507 said:

what’s MVO8 is it any good?

And the app next to it…

• edited May 2018

That's Snap. I beta tested it but I never quite found anything about it I couldn't do elsewhere in a way more to my liking. I'd like some of the more exotic Lumbeat apps like Mid-East Drummer and Future Drummer but they just haven't been a priority.

I do have Troublemaker & BeatMaker 3 but I don't consider them drum apps in the same category as the others here.

• @Zen210507 said:

You're lacking Ruismaker, Elastic Drums, MidEast Drummer, and Future Drummer. Those are all essential.

• Interesting post at the same time @thesoundtestroom is on a @DerekBuddemeyer Drum Session roll!

• Coincidence...............?

• Why is Troublemaker in the drums folder? @Zen210507

• So many great drum apps that came out before AU was a thing. They’ll never reach the promised land :'(

• @realdawei said:
    So many great drum apps that came out before AU was a thing. They’ll never reach the promised land :'(

Drambo should form a pretty nice AU shaped crater in the drum app landscape.

• @AudioGus said:

@realdawei said:
    So many great drum apps that came out before AU was a thing. They’ll never reach the promised land :'(

Drambo should form a pretty nice AU shaped crater in the drum app landscape.

Nicely put :D

• Looking forward to Drambo, or whatever it may become.

• edited May 2018

• edited May 2018

And yet 99% of those apps are nearly unplayable on the midi keyboard (finger drumming) due to either lack of dynamics, bad GM midi mapping or latency.

The only Drum App that is on the same level as Desktop Drum Vsts in that regard is: Drum Session.

• @Keepitsimple said:
    And yet 99% of those apps are nearly unplayable on the midi keyboard (finger drumming) due to either lack of dynamics, bad GM midi mapping or latency.

The only Drum App that is on the same level as Desktop Drum Vsts in that regard is: Drum Session.

I disagree - these are all very playable, just to different degrees. As I mentioned in the video, I use the Keith McMillen BopPad with DrumPerfect and with iSpark. The BopPad (as well as my two Keith McMillen K-Boards) are plenty sensitive enough to be played with hands or fingers (and sticks for the BopPad as well, of course). Those two in particular are very finger-drummable. DP uses round-robin sampling while iSpark uses velocity layers. I think it's more a matter of your hardware translating velocity levels smoothly to the app than it is the app itself.

• @Zen210507 said:

I notice you have Egoist in your drum folder, and, I have to say, that makes perfect sense. I’ve made so many great (in my opinion) drum sequences with this amazingly versatile sample-sequencer. It’s an indispensable app that I keep coming back to for all sorts of uses.

• @Beathoven said:
    I notice you have Egoist in your drum folder, and, I have to say, that makes perfect sense. I’ve made so many great (in my opinion) drum sequences with this amazingly versatile sample-sequencer. It’s an indispensable app that I keep coming back to for all sorts of uses.

>

A very clever app, for sure. To be honest with you, I don’t make nearly enough use of it. But then that is true of so many great apps. If there were 48 hours in a day.... :)

• edited May 2018

@Daveypoo said:

@Keepitsimple said:

I disagree - these are all very playable, just to different degrees. As I mentioned in the video, I use the Keith McMillen BopPad with DrumPerfect and with iSpark. The BopPad (as well as my two Keith McMillen K-Boards) are plenty sensitive enough to be played with hands or fingers (and sticks for the BopPad as well, of course). Those two in particular are very finger-drummable. DP uses round-robin sampling while iSpark uses velocity layers. I think it's more a matter of your hardware translating velocity levels smoothly to the app than it is the app itself.

For simple finger drumming with 8th notes drum fills here and there, i'm sure many will pass. But i'm talking about hardcore finger drumming: For example playing fusion/jazz rock with tons of ghosts notes, using chinas and splashes with an extended GM map made for midi keyboard, all played in realtime. The only app that delivers in that regard is Drum Session.

• edited May 2018

@1nsomniak said:
    Why is Troublemaker in the drums folder? @Zen210507

>

I was wondering where that little bugger went. :) Only just noticed it myself. Must’ve dropped in there when trying to group in one of my AU folders. :)

• edited May 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    You're lacking Ruismaker, Elastic Drums, MidEast Drummer, and Future Drummer. Those are all essential.

>

I have Ruismaker. It crept into the folder that Troublemaker should be in, and visa versa. Tried Elastic Drums, and just couldn’t get on with it. My fault, nothing wrong with app. I would like to add MidEast Drummer, if there is ever a sale in Luis land. :)

• Best quotation of the video was: I consider the whole iPad as my DAW. Love this approach. It’s a bit like Reason except that it’s not.
    I love the workflow of Reason then I thought, Gadget with AU support would be bliss.

• @Keepitsimple said:

@Daveypoo said:

@Keepitsimple said:

For simple finger drumming with 8th notes drum fills here and there, i'm sure many will pass. But i'm talking about hardcore finger drumming: For example playing fusion/jazz rock with tons of ghosts notes, using chinas and splashes with an extended GM map made for midi keyboard, all played in realtime. The only app that delivers in that regard is Drum Session.

David "fingers"

• I wonder too about MV08
    Although Boom 808 is the shiznick in that department for me! :lol:

• Awesome video, btw, @Daveypoo
    Inspired me to get back to some ol' dusty apps

• edited May 2018

Glad you're digging the videos. I had the same experience @senhorlampada!

A couple of years ago, "Fingers" there had a jam session with a couple monster bassists, Steve Bailey & Victor Wooten.

Incredible stuff.

• David Haynes‘ drumming is incredible. Using an HR16... and make it sound GOOD!

• Great vid Dave, and got me to thinking, why do I have so few drum apps? One is because I have bought so many synth and instrument apps over the years...ran out of money? But also because I use a lot of other apps that have drums in them: GarageBand’s various drums/Drummer, Cubasis2 with its internal drums and IAP for drum machines, MusicStudio has some decent stuff, and Gadget has a couple of drum gadgets that I use. Then there are other apps, like Beatwave, Medley, triqtraq, and Figure. And then the drum loops in Launchpad, BlocsWave, etc.

So I have a lot more drums than just the few that show in my drum app folder. Like I said, it really made me think about drums and how I use them.

My favorite is still DrumJam, just for the sheer fun factor.

• edited May 2018

I appreciate the feedback @TozBourne. Making these videos is tough sometimes, because it can so easily turn into a "Hey everybody: look at all the things I bought with my money!" and that is definitely not the intention.

I've come to realize lately that I am VERY lucky to have the things I do and be able to spend my money as I wish, and it's easy to forget that not so long ago I was struggling too, and hell - I may be back there sooner than later. So even though I've acquired FAR too many apps in the last year especially, I'm really trying to make a point of using them, even if it's only on a single tune. It forces me to feel like I'm not just flushing money away on flashing lights.

That being said - it was @johnfromberkeley who initially questioned my lack of drum machine apps. At the time I think I had only Funkbox and iSpark, and maybe DM2. It was purchasing Different Drummer that reinforced this idea of the iPad itself as the music platform (rather than a DAW, for instance). By opening up my thinking, I could now view my full environment as the sandbox and had new uses for these apps.

I am super guilty of "new-shiny-thing" syndrome - hell, I just had to talk myself down from buying Kroenecker yesterday. It may very well be super cool, but I JUST DON'T NEED IT. I'm sure that I can accomplish something very similar with one or two or three of the other 100+ music apps on my iPad. It's hard to remember to dig deep with what you've already got with all the bells and whistles of new apps in this place.

Your journey into the heart of your iPad music making is simply a journey inside yourself, sir. :wink:

So glad you're watching, Toz. I enjoyed the video of your studio very much and can't wait to hear what you've got in store for us.

• @TozBourne said:
    Great vid Dave, and got me to thinking, why do I have so few drum apps? One is because I have bought so many synth and instrument apps over the years...ran out of money? But also because I use a lot of other apps that have drums in them: GarageBand’s various drums/Drummer, Cubasis2 with its internal drums and IAP for drum machines, MusicStudio has some decent stuff, and Gadget has a couple of drum gadgets that I use. Then there are other apps, like Beatwave, Medley, triqtraq, and Figure. And then the drum loops in Launchpad, BlocsWave, etc.

So I have a lot more drums than just the few that show in my drum app folder. Like I said, it really made me think about drums and how I use them.

My favorite is still DrumJam, just for the sheer fun factor.

Ha!
    I have quite a few drum apps, but I have also been recently exploring the drums contained in other apps that I own: Beatwave, Medley, TriqTraq, RemixLive, Launchpad, Blocs Wave, Alchemy, Oscilab, Odesi, Auxy, Groovebox, Tin Pan Rhythm, Beatonal, Figure, Pulse, LP-5, Looptunes...
    TB, you are correct; I have a lot of "hidden" drums!

• I really want a good Drum Sampler Audio Unit. I'm trying Vatanator but its import and preset making stuff is garbage