Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I can find no way of getting content from Gadget into Auria

With all the talk of Auria lately I thought I’d try hearing what I’m doing in Gadget currently in Auria. There seems to be no way of exporting the Gadget content into Auria. Worse, I can’t find the Gadget folder in Files, so that I could manually copy stuff from one to the other. This is ridiculous.

Comments

• Export to AudioShare from gadget

• There is no Gadget folder in Files yet. One of the many 10,000 things Korg is sitting on their f-cking thumbs to implement. I love Gadget as it’s my number-one music creation tool (for now, we’ll see what occurs come NS2), and it’s high time we at least have Files access, lol.

• Could also export to drop box.

• @1nsomniak said:
    Could also export to drop box.

Actually, no I can’t, Dropbox has been full since about 2011 and stayed uselessly full. I bought my own solution instead, a WD My Cloud, and also a Seagate Personal Cloud, and they’re the clouds I use. I don’t have to keep paying for those every year.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    There is no Gadget folder in Files yet. One of the many 10,000 things Korg is sitting on their f-cking thumbs to implement. I love Gadget as it’s my number-one music creation tool (for now, we’ll see what occurs come NS2), and it’s high time we at least have Files access, lol.

I hadn’t realised it was broken in such a way, as I’d only ever used Gadget alone, not with something else. In fact, I’m just not used to using more than one app, as that’s the way I did things in my old iPad 2 – just one synth line at a time, collected in Garageband, then into LPX, where the real work got done. Nowadays, though, I don’t use the Mac so much. Maybe I shouldn’t put it away so soon, if the iPad isn’t up to normal workflows yet,

• Sadly the only way I know of to export stems from Gadget is via Dropbox. It has to be said that process is very smooth, but obviously no use to you if you don't use Dropbox.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Export to AudioShare from gadget

That’s an interesting idea. However, I’d have to go round the process one track at a time, as it doesn’t do the whole set at once that way. Still, I’ll give it a go, if I get the required amount of time, one day.

• @u0421793 said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    Export to AudioShare from gadget

That’s an interesting idea. However, I’d have to go round the process one track at a time, as it doesn’t do the whole set at once that way. Still, I’ll give it a go, if I get the required amount of time, one day.

Ah, I just tried one track of one song – it came in at 44.1Khz. That’s no good. At what point do I have the opportunity to set it otherwise?

• @richardyot said:
    Sadly the only way I know of to export stems from Gadget is via Dropbox. It has to be said that process is very smooth, but obviously no use to you if you don't use Dropbox.

No, I don’t use Dropbox as a] I’m not made of money, and 2] both apps are in the same device – there’s no need to send it halfway round the world each time I make a move.

• @u0421793 said:

@richardyot said:
    Sadly the only way I know of to export stems from Gadget is via Dropbox. It has to be said that process is very smooth, but obviously no use to you if you don't use Dropbox.

No, I don’t use Dropbox as a] I’m not made of money, and 2] both apps are in the same device – there’s no need to send it halfway round the world each time I make a move.

unfortunately Dropbox is the way I go about it outside of Audiocopy, Audioshare, etc, but you don't have to be made of money, if you invite people to join DropBox they give you more space, i think like 600 megs for each person you get to join, I have almost 9 gigs of space from sending links to people I know and them signing up. I would have kept going but I got 50 gigs of iCloud drive space for 99 cents a month.

• @Strizbiz said:

@u0421793 said:

@richardyot said:

unfortunately Dropbox is the way I go about it outside of Audiocopy, Audioshare, etc, but you don't have to be made of money, if you invite people to join DropBox they give you more space, i think like 600 megs for each person you get to join, I have almost 9 gigs of space from sending links to people I know and them signing up. I would have kept going but I got 50 gigs of iCloud drive space for 99 cents a month.

As I mentioned, I already have a WD My Cloud, and a Seagate Personal Cloud – there’s no way I’d need to keep feeding any other cloud service with money or pretend I’ve got any friends. I’ve got my own clouds. I also have an iPad which contains both apps. Both apps! On the same fucking device. There’s no need to send it outside, certainly no need to send it to some foreign country halfway around the world – I just need my shit to go from somewhere in the iPad to somewhere else in the same fucking iPad. If it can’t do that, then for fuck’s sake, it’s not fit for purpose and wake me up when they’ve fixed it, I’m staying in Gadget for the foreseeable.

• I know it's bloody ridiculous.

• It's precisely due to the fact that it's next to impossible to export outside gadget easily sans Dropbox that I've basically stopped using it.

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

Next to impossible? Exporting each track one at a time isn’t really that difficult, is it? You must have an impossibly bigger track count than I’ve ever racked up in my most ambitious pieces. ;)

• @u0421793 said:

@Strizbiz said:

@u0421793 said:

@richardyot said:

As I mentioned, I already have a WD My Cloud, and a Seagate Personal Cloud – there’s no way I’d need to keep feeding any other cloud service with money or pretend I’ve got any friends. I’ve got my own clouds. I also have an iPad which contains both apps. Both apps! On the same fucking device. There’s no need to send it outside, certainly no need to send it to some foreign country halfway around the world – I just need my shit to go from somewhere in the iPad to somewhere else in the same fucking iPad. If it can’t do that, then for fuck’s sake, it’s not fit for purpose and wake me up when they’ve fixed it, I’m staying in Gadget for the foreseeable.

lol. um.. pretend you have friends? Why would you have to pretend you have friends? Also I haven't spent a dime on Dropbox, and the app is on the iPad, and the whole process isn't long or a big deal, unless you're still on dial up internet. I know you have a WD my could and Seagate, but Gadget doesn't support them, it is what it is, not sure if you started this thread other than to bitch and be kind of hostile towards people trying to help.

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

I don’t take it as hostile, he’s just frustrated at the absurdity of it, which I get. Korg can’t be bothered to support core technologies until ridiculously long after they’re available. Very annoying.

I have a fast internet connection, but I find that the exercise of exporting to Dropbox is way more time consuming than just doing each track one by one into AudioShare.

• Korg and Apple have the same walled garden approach. At least Garageband is free, but that's why I'm staying away from Gadget.

• @wim said:
    I don’t take it as hostile, he’s just frustrated at the absurdity of it, which I get. Korg can’t be bothered to support core technologies until ridiculously long after they’re available. Very annoying.

True, especially when NO coding is required to enable Files.app support (ie. to show Gadget's folder in FIles.app).

What annoys me more is that the more advanced export options (ie. 48Khz, 24-Bit etc.) are not available when selecting AudioShare as the destination but they are available when selecting DropBox or iTunes.

The 'iTunes' option would work just fine if the Gadget folder was visible to Files.app.

Even with the limitations I still enjoy using Gadget and who know's maybe 'hell freezes over' and we'll se the Gadget's as AUv3's on iOS some day...

• R_2R_2
    edited May 2018

I agree with @u0421793 (including the pretending to have friends part ;) ). Should be possible to export in any format on the device itself (offline).

To free up space on Dropbox, maybe it’s an option to transfer all files filling up Dropbox to WD My Cloud / Seagate Personal Cloud?

• Just open another DropBox account for Gadget export.

• Suit yourself, I was only trying to help.

• I wager Files support will just pop up one day just like Link did.

• edited May 2018

@wim said:
    Next to impossible? Exporting each track one at a time isn’t really that difficult, is it? You must have an impossibly bigger track count than I’ve ever racked up in my most ambitious pieces. ;)

In the old pre-export days we had to freeze each track and then copy the freezes with iTunes. That hack was such a victory. Kids today want the bloody apps to write the songs too. ;)

• The obvious solution is not to use some irrelevant third-party cloud storage service, it is to simply open my Gadget work in Gadget on the Mac instead. I can export the whole clutch of separate audio tracks in one whack, if I like. However, once they’re on the Mac there’s absolutely no sense in sending them back to the iPad. I can’t find a way of importing the audio files to Auria either one at a time or in a batch – where does it look for things like that? It only seems to look in its own folder – do I have access to that from something else?

Anyway, If the audio or Gadget files are on the Mac by now, I’m better off stacking it into LPX instead of Auria, as it’s pretty much most of the way there already. Alternatively, I could use the Gadget instruments themselves inside LPX with the exported midi and get the same result (actually, not quite the same, I’ve noticed).

If I’m doing an iPad workflow, I want things on the iPad to go to other things on the iPad. No stupid moving from something to something intermediate a few times before it ends up where it should, and no pointless cloud services – it has no need to leave the iPad. If I abandon the idea of iPad-only, then I’m going to go in one direction – to the Mac, and finish it there, exactly as I used to before I got the iPad Pro and all I had was my iPad 2, one instrument at a time. I hardly use my Mac these days, but I was expecting to use it far less than this by now.

• edited May 2018

Audioshare can access a variety of (local) storage locations, including NAS.
    It can zip a folder and send this to Auria, which will put the folder in it's file system and unpack the content.
    Then you can use the import command from the menu and select files for placement.
    You don't have to do it for each single file.

• I got Dropbox several years ago because Gadget and many iOS apps use it. I always export individual audio and MIDI tracks from Gadget to DB as a form of backup anyway.

Korg obviously hasn't been interested much in iOS inter-app functionality, and I guess that doesn't hurt sales enough to matter. Not offering more extensive export options isn't too surprising. It's been awhile since Gadget has had a major update, so hopefully in the next version they'll support the iOS Files app now that iOS 11 is used by the majority.

• Interestingly, I can see a Gadget folder in iCloud Drive on the Mac, and what it contains is what I originated on the iPhone 8+. So close, and yet so fucking brain-dead.

• @Telefunky said:
    Audioshare can access a variety of (local) storage locations, including NAS.
    It can zip a folder and send this to Auria, which will put the folder in it's file system and unpack the content.
    Then you can use the import command from the menu and select files for placement.
    You don't have to do it for each single file.

That’s interesting – and that way, rather than directly into Audioshare would let me avoid it coming in at 44.1?

• yes, the zip will shield the content.
    (I don't have Gadget, so can't comment on export options, but since you have the files on Mac anyway you could zip there and use Audioshare as delivery agent to Auria)