Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

running multiple ios devices together

Im trying to run a couple ipads and a phone together, using groovebox, launchpad, & blocswave. I understand the 'live' sync on the local network, and that works great. But im looking for an app solution to gather the output and record it or put into/thru an app mixer (like AUM?) and push it out of the itrack dock 1/4 inch outs... Is this possible? i guess I'm looking for a way to get the audio through the local network or blutooth realtime. -maybe my only option is hardware to run into my mixer/PA? Thanks!

Comments

• edited May 2018

@talonnightshade13 said:
    Im trying to run a couple ipads and a phone together, using groovebox, launchpad, & blocswave. I understand the 'live' sync on the local network, and that works great. But im looking for an app solution to gather the output and record it or put into/thru an app mixer (like AUM?) and push it out of the itrack dock 1/4 inch outs... Is this possible? i guess I'm looking for a way to get the audio through the local network or blutooth realtime. -maybe my only option is hardware to run into my mixer/PA? Thanks!

Mixer.

Audio Interface.

Look at pic.

Yellow is AUDIO going from iPad #2 and Novation Circuit to MIXER.

MIXER goes to AUDIO INTERFACE (Novation Audiohub)

iPad #1(in center) goes to interface.

Listen Audio via interface.

There are more than 1 way to do it.
    This is my current method.

I hope it helps shed some light on methods of audio and use of multi devices.

NOTE:
    I also still have remaining "mic" jacks on mixer in which I use the iPhone as a mic wired thru it, Pocket Operators through them, or laptop audio. I also when doing live will use addition Mic jacks with Circuit for 2 additional audio signals in.

But don't let this last one confuse you.

• Looks like a novation showroom :wink:

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Looks like a novation showroom :wink:

Looks like the room I go to first is the house is burning! LOL

After the dogs of course.

• I personally havent had any good results streaming audio over wifi or bluetooth. I would recommend a wired solution like Rustik says. If you want multiple streams of audio going into Aum then I think you need to think about a usb audio interface.
    I would always recommend iConnectAudio4+ as it makes mixing from multiple sources into a mixing app on an ipad so reliable and relatively easy but there will be cheaper audio interfaces out there. iCA4+ is a perfect solution if your routing midi also but probably overkill for just audio.
    Any class compliant usb audio interface plugged into a powered hub with the right number of inputs for your sources should do the trick but its probably safer to go with one of the companies that are recommended for ios like focusrite. The Auria website lists audio interfaces which work with Auria, and if they work with Auria I recon they will work with Aum.
    http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces
    Good luck

• Wireless audio has latency, no matter what you try to do. Latency isnt a problem if you just record the wireless stream, but are monitoring directly or through what ever wired low latency solution. However its easiest just to get an audio interface with enough inputs(hooked via usb on one "master" ipad/phone and others to the interfaces audio inputs from their headphone out) or a mixer hooked to audio interface with only 2 inputs(1stereo pair), or a mixer that doubles as an audio interface.

• Thanks everyone. I kinda thought this might be the case, and this was a hardware solution. Thanks for the recommendations as well, and the pic is most appreciated.

I’m currently running a Focusright iTrack dock in the studio for Live instruments, i could run the 2 additional devices through that, although something a little tougher for live performance is in order perhaps, and the iconnectaudio 4 looks good, as does the novation audiohub.

Any recommendations for midi over blue tooth apps to compliment the focusright dock and add additional midi to the anaolg Im sending? or should I just go with a usb hub (or novation audiohub?) and run it all into the itrack dock? -In which case whats the best app(s) to manage the midi routing etc?

• Behringer UCA222 works well for that purpose, with direct monitoring no latency switch, and is priced around 25/30 $.

• I use a roland MX 1, and it's fantastic. Streaming audio off the sequencing laptop, and submixing a bunch of other live jank, including multiple pads.

• edited May 2018

I’m personally more a fan of the iConnectMidi4+ than the iConnectAudio+ — I use another interface for audio simultaneously as an aggregate (Komplete Audio 6, soon to be RME Babyface Pro or fireface) & the iCMidi streams audio back and forth in digital form from either my two iPads and PC (or alternately, 1 iPad , + mac and PC) , so I can keep using the superior AD/DA converters in my main interface , plus it has the benefit of having enough midi routing for all the hardware I’ll ever need.

• P.s. The only slight drawbacks I’ve found with the iCMidi4 is that even though it’ll support up to 8 USB midi devices via a powered USB hub, on top of 5 MIDI DIN connections and network midi, — as far as I know, it won’t passthru the data from smart usb midi devices .. I wasn’t really expecting my Komplete Kontrol s61 or Push 2 to work through it in native mode when I bought it, so it’s not really a letdown ..but it would be ideal if that were possible with future revisions. For now I just keep my KK 61 going to my main pc via USB , and at the same time, to the icm4 via DIN.

the control interface in PC and MAC is a bit dated and cryptic at first if you aren’t used to this sort of routing, but it doesn’t take too long to get the hang of it. My only technical issue has been with the iOS control app, which is very buggy — but it’s not really necessary, at least in my case. All the routing and setup can be accomplished on PC and the ipads are good to go.

• @Ego_Likeness said:
    I use a roland MX 1, and it's fantastic. Streaming audio off the sequencing laptop, and submixing a bunch of other live jank, including multiple pads.

I love your place!

• @Ego_Likeness said:
    I use a roland MX 1, and it's fantastic. Streaming audio off the sequencing laptop, and submixing a bunch of other live jank, including multiple pads.

um. wow. thats freaking enviable. communing with the beast indeed!

• @Ego_Likeness any chance you could draw/write in a schematic over a still image of what you are running there and how its all wired together for us newbies?

• @talonnightshade13 ok, but you asked for it...
    This is actually simplified, but you will get the idea...

I have a much more involved breakdown if you want on my Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Stevenlikeness

Green layer.

Studio mux.
    Out from ableton laptop
    To plugable usb 3.0 hub
    To 2018 iPad Pro x1
    iPad mini 2 x1
    iPad 4x3

Purple layer
    Midi in and out through 4 port usb hub.
    To: iPad 3x3
    iPad 2 x1
    iPad 1 x 3
    *each of those is attached to a griffin audio/midi dock.

Two iPad 1s are running Lemur, where all the main controls are.

Yellow /blue/cyan layers
    Audio into MX 1 and out to recording mixer.

Blue is the audio mux channel and other laptop tracks set up this way.
    *all channels are sub mixes of multiple channels in ableton controlled from the Lemur pads. For instance, I have 10 channels of drum loops, each a different types, depending on where the set is going they can be changed on the fly.

Blue layer

Mux tracks
    Vocals, vsts, other sounds
    Guitars, noise, screams
    Drum loops
    Hat snare crash
    Kick

Yellow layer
    iPad 2 to kaoss pad 3 to mx1
    iPad 3 to kp mini to mx1

And a kp3 as an effect send.

Everything goes out to a mackie mixer and USB (cyan) to the recording laptop. Running Reason, which is synced via ableton link.

Orange layer
    Other outboard gear to a pair of Alexis multimixes some run through effects etc.
    From there to the mackie and then to the recording laptop.

• @RUST( i )K thanks! That’s actually just the digital side of the studio, mixing is to the left, and drums/vocals are on the opposite side of the room.

• @Ego_Likeness that’s kraaaazy maan :smiley:

• Thanks for taking the time to share that @Ego_Likeness!

• Thanks for sharing info about your setup and preferences too @AnimalHeadSpirit, most appreciated!

• Wow I have a gear hard on!
    Roland says the USB ports are only for other Auria devices. Have you found that to be true? Thanks.

• @Antkn33 said:
    Wow I have a gear hard on!
    Roland says the USB ports are only for other Auria devices. Have you found that to be true? Thanks.

Yeah, unfortunately. Though I think you can use some of the boutiques with the ports. I have a Tb-03, but I haven’t tried it.

You can however use one of the ports as a power supply for any five volt usb device. I had a little LED light on a gooseneck running out of it to light the board.

The other cool thing is you can add an additional input through the digital I/O for like $15 bucks. And you can add a second effect send by using the dedicated headphone out (assuming you have another way to monitor the output).

For instance I have the headphone out running a kaoss pad 3 and into the recording mixer.

The regular external send is good for delays or reverbs because you can put it on multiple tracks. Using the headphone trick is good for adding specific effects to one track at a time.

Also, since the mixer has midi out, it can pass timecode along to other units, so if you have a delay on the send effects it’s always in sync. Assuming whatever you are sending to does that.

• Do you (all of you) position your gear more based on user-ergonomics, looks, fit-together-ness, or wiring ease?

• @u0421793 said:
    Do you (all of you) position your gear more based on user-ergonomics, looks, fit-together-ness, or wiring ease?

Man I’ve built and rebulilt that rig more times than I wish to remember specifically for ergonomics. As for wiring, a patch bay helps also, I have little jumper cables that go from one side to the other, so requiring just means unplugging the jumpers.

• One thing you should definitely do when using multiple iOS devices.
    Install midi wrench on all of them. It makes troubleshooting much easier.

• @Ego_Likeness said:

@u0421793 said:
    Do you (all of you) position your gear more based on user-ergonomics, looks, fit-together-ness, or wiring ease?

Man I’ve built and rebulilt that rig more times than I wish to remember specifically for ergonomics. As for wiring, a patch bay helps also, I have little jumper cables that go from one side to the other, so requiring just means unplugging the jumpers.

Ah, yes, patch bays. They’re truly the patch bay of the electronic music world.