Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NEW App Dev Interview: ANDY BULL, creator of LayR (With shoutout to the Audiobus Forum)

edited May 2018 in Other

Andy is a great fellow with a wonderful sense of humor! He even mentions the Audiobus patch creation thread...

Andy Bull (Glastonbury, UK) has had an amazing career. Before the internet was even invented, he started out writing software for the world famous AKAI Samplers, including the MPC.

Then in the early 2000s, he created a popular shareware synthesizer for the Mac called Cell Synth.

As an app developer, he helped create an acclaimed app for Disney that won Apple’s coveted “App of the Year” award. And now, he’s using his decades of experience as an engineer and musician to make amazing apps like LayR, an awarding winning iOS Synth that sounds LUSH.

https://audiokitpro.com/andy-bull/

Comments

• A lot of the advice Andy gave for developers is the same I would give to young musicians: Don’t let people put you off your vision. Develop a thick skin for criticism. Learn the technical aspects as you go instead of feeling like you need to “get it all” before you begin.

I would quite happily pay a desktop price for apps with quality like Layr. Am I that rare an animal?

• @ZenLizard said:

I would quite happily pay a desktop price for apps with quality like Layr. Am I that rare an animal?

nope - its quality!

• @ZenLizard said:
    A lot of the advice Andy gave for developers is the same I would give to young musicians: Don’t let people put you off your vision. Develop a thick skin for criticism. Learn the technical aspects as you go instead of feeling like you need to “get it all” before you begin.

Perfect! Thank you for highlighting these great thoughts from Andy. Is it okay if I use this and give you credit on the AK blog?

Or, you can DM me if you want to be credited differently.

• @analog_matt said:

@ZenLizard said:
    A lot of the advice Andy gave for developers is the same I would give to young musicians: Don’t let people put you off your vision. Develop a thick skin for criticism. Learn the technical aspects as you go instead of feeling like you need to “get it all” before you begin.

Perfect! Thank you for highlighting these great thoughts from Andy. Is it okay if I use this and give you credit on the AK blog?

Or, you can DM me if you want to be credited differently.

Anything. Go for it. No need to give me credit at all... ever. But thank you.

• LayR is one of my all time favorite Synths! I can’t get enough of it and what’s more amazing is how it is backed by top notch developer! Thanks!

• Great interview Matt. Thanks so much for doing it, and posting it here, for us mere mortals! What an extraordinary career Andy Bull has had. It's fascinating to get an insight into the thought processes, and journey behind an app such as Layr. I didn't think it was up my street, but after watching this, i realize it's actually in my street & will be residing in my house/bag henceforth!!!!! Not sure I'll make the end of month deadline before the prices go up, but, may just squeeze in there with a bit of luck....universe willing.......... :)

• How do I open the factory presets? Since I updated it I can't get it to make a decent sound.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    How do I open the factory presets? Since I updated it I can't get it to make a decent sound.

Maybe you should delete and reinstall it. The preset page is in the same place as it was before.

• Thanks, Matt. I love these dev interviews. A little like taking Music Appreciation in school, whether it’s for consumers who want to get an idea of what’s involved, rather than just demand and complain, or for those of us who’ve been involved in creating software in the past, but don’t know much about the contemporary software business, it’s interesting and educational.

• +10 armour is so AD&D :p

• You did it again Matt, another great interview. Andy is really cool and Layr is a wonderful app.

Thanks for bringing these interviews to us...they have been both entertaining and educational.

• @TozBourne @Fruitbat1919 @lovadamusic @Mr_Beak @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr @Iso @MusicMan4Christ @ZenLizard @midiSequencer

Thanks again for checking out the video and posting on this thread! It is inspiring to see people with the same thirst for knowledge about developers. Very encouraging to keep me going!

• Seriously the more time I spend with LayR the more I love it! I’m finding some sweet sounds just by combining layers and tweaking here and there. My special final sauce is adding Discord4 at the end. It really makes this mega synth sound truly awesome! Thanks for coming up with such an amazing synth! It almost makes me feel like do I ever need another synth? Ever? Who knows but right now LayR is really satisfying all my synth needs! It really is my Z3TA but beyond! As it sounds super warm and it’s AU!

• @analog_matt said:
    @TozBourne @Fruitbat1919 @lovadamusic @Mr_Beak @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr @Iso @MusicMan4Christ @ZenLizard @midiSequencer

Thanks again for checking out the video and posting on this thread! It is inspiring to see people with the same thirst for knowledge about developers. Very encouraging to keep me going!

Nope, thank you for posting @analog_matt

I think it’s great that many developers and those that use their tools can share open and honest conversation in the AB Forums. I know some people see some conversations as people just wanting more, but I firmly believe that being open and honest about our needs and wants, while being courteous, respectful and understanding of the developers works well here for the most part.

Things are definetly changing in iOS music making and IMO we have just hit one of those special times in that change. We would not have got here without the great independent developers that have pushed that momentum of change forward. The creativity of the devs at times is quite awe inspiring :)

• I agree bigtime! Also, thanks to the AudioBus Forum and its creators for without this amazing forum where each and everyone of us musicians can help each other out, IOS music would not be the same.

Big double salute to all developers and AB forum for creating these amazing apps and a great place to talk about them, test them and even influence developers to make them better!

This is beautiful!

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@analog_matt said:
    @TozBourne @Fruitbat1919 @lovadamusic @Mr_Beak @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr @Iso @MusicMan4Christ @ZenLizard @midiSequencer

Nope, thank you for posting @analog_matt

I think it’s great that many developers and those that use their tools can share open and honest conversation in the AB Forums. I know some people see some conversations as people just wanting more, but I firmly believe that being open and honest about our needs and wants, while being courteous, respectful and understanding of the developers works well here for the most part.

Things are definetly changing in iOS music making and IMO we have just hit one of those special times in that change. We would not have got here without the great independent developers that have pushed that momentum of change forward. The creativity of the devs at times is quite awe inspiring :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

Things are definitely changing in iOS music making and IMO we have just hit one of those special times in that change. We would not have got here without the great independent developers that have pushed that momentum of change forward. The creativity of the devs at times is quite awe inspiring :)

Well said! You have a gift for communicating. And, the Audiobus forum is the greatest thing to ever happen to the iOS community. 🙏

• Well said! You have a gift for communicating. And, the Audiobus forum is the greatest thing to ever happen to the iOS community. 🙏

+1