Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using "MIDI Wrench" for "Gozinta" problems?

My understanding of USB connectivity is still poor. I was hoping a powered USB hub would let my controller connect to several iphones and activate apps on each using MIDI Channels.

I tried it and nothing came out. So, I launched MIDI Wrench on each IOS device and realized none of them recognized the HUB. If I connect the controller to each device MIDI Wrench showed the connection.

So, I went back to the YouTube video that planted the idea that a HUB would allow a more complex set up and realized he was demo'ing 1 IOS device that connected to multiple controllers to simulate a 2 tiered organ setup.

Insight #2: I own a USB-powered audio/midi Prosonus AudioBox. It NEVER occured to me that it might work with IOS but just with my MacBook. Then in a thread here someone mentioned a USB approach should work with any USB-Powered interface. What? I tried it and it didn't light up. Then I added power to the Apple Camera Adapter's Lightning Port power input and the Prosonus AudioBox power light came on...

It only goes to show that "you learn something new everyday" but at my age I also forget 2 things so... what was I talking about?

Comments

• Try connecting your several iPhones by Bluetooth Midi or WiFi Midi. Then you can connect your controller to one iPhone and control the rest wirelessly.

• Thank you for the tip... I'll head in that direction: wireless MIDI options. I;'m very glad to know there's an option using features I already own too! I'm sick of buying more wire based solutions.

I wonder if my old Digitech RP20 Pedal Board can send MIDI CC's when the buttons are pushed. I think it has MIDI in/out ports I could connect to the controller via 5-pin MIDI.

Hmm...

• Wow. The DigiTech RP20 has 12 pedals and an expression pedal and a large collection of MIDI capabilities. This could be fun.

Is there a 5-PIN MIDI to Bluetooth MIDI or Wifi MIDI converter to
    be truly wireless (again latency might rear it's ugly head). But I'll try it.

• @McDtracy said:
    Wow. The DigiTech RP20 has 12 pedals and an expression pedal and a large collection of MIDI capabilities. This could be fun.

Is there a 5-PIN MIDI to Bluetooth MIDI or Wifi MIDI converter to
    be truly wireless (again latency might rear it's ugly head). But I'll try it.

Yes, Yamaha makes one that gets good reviews (MIDI to bluetooth.)

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:
    Try connecting your several iPhones by Bluetooth Midi or WiFi Midi. Then you can connect your controller to one iPhone and control the rest wirelessly.

I have yet to find a way how to connect more that one iDevice to one Bluetooth advertiser.
    Atm only one connection is supported.
    Same for USB:
    One host, multiple interfaces: Yes.
    One interface, multiple hosts: Nope.
    You could use one BT MIDI interface for each iDevice and split/merge the BT interface inputs/outputs in order to control multiple iDevices, but that's really the hard way to do it.

Maybe you can use iOS MIDI routing apps like MidiBridge/MidiFire to route MIDI between iDevices.