Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Lole. Preordered no questions asked.

• Oh man..... I just bought Patterning about a month ago and now this?!?!?!?! I know, I know - super late to the party on this one.

Hmmm - I'll have to ruminate on the pre-order. I have to ask the obvious question, though @benkamen - any plans for Patterning as AUv3? Based on the interface I would think not, but AUv3 has become integral to the way to work so it had to be asked....

• YES!!!!!!!
    Patterning is my favorite app and now comes the next generation. So happy

• If you let me know the default MIDI note numbers I'll add a Patterning template in Rozeta! Looking forward to P2.

:)

• @brambos said:
    If you let me know the default MIDI note numbers I'll add a Patterning template in Rozeta! Looking forward to P2.

:) 60, 62, 64, 65, 67, 69 71, 72

• Doing a lil’ happy dance right now. :)

• edited May 2018

Excellent news, glad it's not a free update!!!

Also thanks for supporting iOS 10, was a moment of panic until I checked this

• Totally on board, but if you're going to make me wait until almost August, @benkamen, you're going to have to pony up with some serious video promos!

And @Daveypoo I'm not sure why you'd need AUv3 for this.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Totally on board, but if you're going to make me wait until almost August, @benkamen, you're going to have to pony up with some serious video promos!

Hope to do a bunch of videos during beta testing and pre-release. We'll see how much energy I can muster for it as there's a lot of other stuff to do as well in that time.

Regarding AU... I looked into it. It doesn't seem to make sense for a fullscreen app like this. I will re-assess if full screen AU becomes a thing. (Is it a thing? I hear it's possible but are any hosts supporting it?) For now, I feel like the other connectivity options (ableton live export, audio export, IAA, etc) make for enough choices to integrate into workflows.

• edited May 2018

@benkamen SUWEEEEET!. Pre-Ordered...looking forward to this precious piece of kit....

I know it's probably too late...any chance for a SCALE and KEY locking feature. I love using Patterning to sequence my external and internal synths :) I would be satisfied with a Global locking function per session...no need for mixed Scales and Keys per midi channel atm...

• Yeah, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered. I know I'll fall prey to the hype anyway, and since it won't hit my back until release day - it'll be a nice little surprise to have that show up on my home screen....

• Gah, this looks amazing!!!

but...

I’m just not sure I want to invest in non-AU apps anymore. I have spent so much money on IAA apps over the last couple of years that I barely use anymore. I’m just one customer so no biggie and I’m not an any crusade so I will keep the why to another thread. I hope this sells by the bucketload as it looks awesome. I will keep my fingers crossed for a future AU update.

✌️

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018

Just curious about everyone asking for AU. Patterning already gives you 8 separate Audio Out Channels and is a robust MIDI sequencer to boot.

As a fairly regular user of the app, I don't really see a need for it to be an AU. Are you needing more than 8 channels for drums/samples in your compositions?

I think the kinds of things I'd be asking @benkamen for in Patterning 2 before ever requesting AUv3 format would be the following:

. Scale + Key locking so I can play in key when sequencing gear
    . Per step sample loading per channel
    - yeah, I want it to be a digitakt :)
    . Per channel AUv3 effects loading so I can go crazy in the app
    . Multiple Sends per channel so I can route fx intelligently and minimize overhead abuse
    . Per step slicing of samples so I can change which part of the sample gets played on each step

These are just some of the things I'd be asking for before AUv3 support :)

• @echoopera said:
    @benkamen SUWEEEEET!. Pre-Ordered...looking forward to this precious piece of kit....

I know it's probably too late...any chance for a SCALE and KEY locking feature. I love using Patterning to sequence my external and internal synths :) I would be satisfied with a Global locking function per session...no need for mixed Scales and Keys per midi channel atm...

"Coarse Tune Quantize" is roughly the new feature you are requesting.

• edited May 2018

Look forward to it. But yes AU is full screen ahead now :)

Supported full screen AU hosts are AUM, Auria Pro, ApeMatrix, Audiobus 3, Beatmaker 3

Audiobus statesaving + multi IAA support does go a long way though.

• Nice... Just 're-discovered' Patterning a few days ago.. With its excellent export system (Ableton with midi)..

IT was begging for a 'Repeat' function ... or maybe I was lost.

• @Carnbot said:

Supported full screen AU hosts are AUM, Auria Pro, ApeMatrix, Audiobus 3, Beatmaker 3

And sequencism 😉

• @rrc2soft said:

@Carnbot said:

And sequencism 😉

sorry, Yes :)

• well maybe its the case that cubasis is holding AU development. they aren't going to go full screen, which it what apps like this one needs

• One of the best drum machines on any platform ( including hardware B) ) No Brainer...........Pre-ordered :)

• @echoopera The request for AU isn't a reflection on anything Patterning is or isn't doing (at least for me). I don't like switching between IAA apps in something like AUM or Cubasis. I find it clunky, I get pops and stutters when I've got a solid sequence going, and with my 12.9 Pro it is a million times simpler to have everything on a single screen.

I'm the kind of guy that hates scrolling. I have all my apps in folders on a single page of my iPad because I like to be able to see everything in one place.

• @Iso said:
    One of the best drum machines on any platform ( including hardware B) ) No Brainer...........Pre-ordered :)

Looks like we need to scratch off 'Drum'.

• NEW : Quantized Coarse Tuning for easy melodic compositions. Works with randomization for randomly generated melodies.

• @RajahP said:

@Iso said:
    One of the best drum machines on any platform ( including hardware B) ) No Brainer...........Pre-ordered :)

Looks like we need to scratch off 'Drum'.

• NEW : Quantized Coarse Tuning for easy melodic compositions. Works with randomization for randomly generated melodies

• How do you top perfection?

Wait.

Oh yeah....

iPhone version! LOL

• great news - looking forward to this! the one thing i wished patterning had was the ability (when in song mode) to specify how many times each loop should play before advancing to the next one - like you can do in triqtraq or even better in rozetta apps

• @echoopera said:
    Just curious about everyone asking for AU. Patterning already gives you 8 separate Audio Out Channels and is a robust MIDI sequencer to boot.

As a fairly regular user of the app, I don't really see a need for it to be an AU. Are you needing more than 8 channels for drums/samples in your compositions?

I think the kinds of things I'd be asking @benkamen for in Patterning 2 before ever requesting AUv3 format would be the following:

. Scale + Key locking so I can play in key when sequencing gear
    . Per step sample loading per channel
    - yeah, I want it to be a digitakt :)
    . Per channel AUv3 effects loading so I can go crazy in the app
    . Multiple Sends per channel so I can route fx intelligently and minimize overhead abuse
    . Per step slicing of samples so I can change which part of the sample gets played on each step

These are just some of the things I'd be asking for before AUv3 support :)

Feel bad debating AU in such an esteemed app launch thread but the developer seems interested in feedback so will try to answer respectfully.

In a word, convenience. That’s it. I am jumping in and out of projects all the time and the AUs just load right back up where I left them. The IAA apps tend to hang, need re-setting up to reconnect or find that sound or that point where you left off. AUM and BM3 look after all of the AU MIDI and Link routing so no extra fuss there. It just flows.

I think Quantum is easily the best sequencer in the AppStore and yet I nearly always go to Rozeta first... it is not as complete a sequencer but it is so convenient. I started another thread about this a while back about how ‘water will flow’. Maybe I should leave it there.

I know it is hard for developers and, before we know it, another workflow will appear. AU seems to be where it is heading though, and there may be others out there going the same way who would buy the app otherwise, so no harm in developers hearing that.