Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Preview of the WILSONIC tuning/alt-scales panel in the upcoming AudioKit Synth

Wilsonic app creator Marcus Hobbs has added a special edition of Wilsonic to the upcoming AudioKit Synth...

That's the amazing thing about open-source.

Who knows what other panels/features people will add to the synth once the code is released next month?

The future is open-source, baby!

Comments

• Is this expected to be AUv3?

• edited May 2018

@realdawei said:
    Is this expected to be AUv3?

Yes. However, the stand-alone will be released first.

• Cool, I have little interest in the micro tuning thing but the future is bright for the open source possibilities.

Just look at how many people are getting into VCV Rack and coding modules with very little effort. Thinking about upgrading my laptop just for that actually ...

• You know that so many of us here don’t need another synth....but will not be able to resist this one! :)

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Cool, I have little interest in the micro tuning thing but the future is bright for the open source possibilities.

Just look at how many people are getting into VCV Rack and coding modules with very little effort. Thinking about upgrading my laptop just for that actually ...

Wilsonic isn’t just about micro tuning, it’s actually alternate scales beyond the western 12 tone scale including scales from India, and ones based on mathematical relationships that Wilson explored for many decades including options for harmonization and other musically oriented structures.

• edited May 2018

@analog_matt it’s great Marcus Hobbs is making a synth which can natively use Wilsonic scales rather than being limited to the three very basic waveforms in the Wilsonic app. Being on the road to AudioKit AU will really push this and other AudiuoKit projects forward. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• super, super cool :))

• Very special feature! Nice work.

• @InfoCheck said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    Cool, I have little interest in the micro tuning thing but the future is bright for the open source possibilities.

Wilsonic isn’t just about micro tuning, it’s actually alternate scales beyond the western 12 tone scale including scales from India, and ones based on mathematical relationships that Wilson explored for many decades including options for harmonization and other musically oriented structures.

I need to expand my knowledge base and my musical comfort zone, thanks for the nudge.

The Wilsonic thing did come onto my radar (thanks to the app) a while ago but didn’t stick ... will revisit.

• @Zen210507 said:
    You know that so many of us here don’t need another synth....but will not be able to resist this one! :)

😅

"I don't need another synth" is a sentence I will never say.

• @InfoCheck said:
    @analog_matt it’s great Marcus Hobbs is making a synth which can natively use Wilsonic scales rather than being limited to the three very basic waveforms in the Wilsonic app. Being on the road to AudioKit AU will really push this and other AudiuoKit projects forward. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Well said.

Over the past six months, Marcus has really opened my eyes to the possibilities of music evolution from a global viewpoint... breaking free from the music conventions many of us have been taught in Western music.

It's a total game-changer.

• @TheVimFuego said:

Perfect analogy!

That would be a dream come true. 100% of this source code will be available. So, people can easily add panels that would be distributed w/ the app in the app store.

Exciting stuff!

• @analog_matt said:
    "I don't need another synth" is a sentence I will never say.

>

Because you are Analog Matt: half man half synth. :D

But seriously, FM Player is such a great app, you are carrying the same kind of belief and goodwill as Brambos.

• @Zen210507 said:
    But seriously, FM Player is such a great app...

Thank you. <3

Hopefully, you'll enjoy this as well this summer...

• @analog_matt said:

Over the past six months, Marcus has really opened my eyes to the possibilities of music evolution from a global viewpoint... breaking free from the music conventions many of us have been taught in Western music.

It really is. For one year I have been singing with a drone, which kind of pushes you into singing in tune with Mother Nature's own tuning system (some flavor of just intonation), and then exploring all the microtonal variations that are still in tune with the overtone series.

12et is a beautiful thing for music with a lot of harmonic modulation, but most of the stuff that people in this forum make stays on one or several closely related chords. And would sound much better if tuned to nature instead of 12et.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

12et is a beautiful thing for music with a lot of harmonic modulation, but most of the stuff that people in this forum make stays on one or several closely related chords. And would sound much better if tuned to nature instead of 12et.

Better? Or just different? Yanny, or Laurel?

• Didn't mean to be glib, Geoshredr.
    But you're referring to just intonation vs. equal temperament?

• @analog_matt said:

@Zen210507 said:

Thank you. <3

Stop....you're killing me.

• @analog_matt said:

@Zen210507 said:

Thank you. <3

@analog_matt, I think this news FM Player 2 deserves its own thread. That’s looks very interesting loving the original app. Tell me that’s not a photoshop image!

• can’t wait to test out that new feature. hopefully an iphone version comes out soon. Im stuck at work, if I had the iphone version i could be testing it out right now. ;)

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Didn't mean to be glib, Geoshredr.

Different for sure. Better is a matter of taste, but most people gravitate to JI when given the option, because it more closely reflects the overtone series. Most vocal and instrumental choirs tune to JI on sustained chords without even trying to.

@ExAsperis99 said:

Different for sure. Better is a matter of taste, but most people gravitate to JI when given the option, because it more closely reflects the overtone series. Most vocal and instrumental choirs tune to JI on sustained chords without even trying to.

Interested to delve into this, but the Internet, as you know, sucks. The first website I found insisted that the Nazis invented A=440, which was easy enough to debunk. But are there any texts that you would recommend?

Also, I don't want to entertain any theory that takes the joy out of Sonic Youth tunings.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Interested to delve into this, but the Internet, as you know, sucks. The first website I found insisted that the Nazis invented A=440, which was easy enough to debunk. But are there any texts that you would recommend?

This little clip compares ET and JI so that you can hear the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqa2Hbb_eIs

The best book I've found is "Harmonic Experience", but it requires commitment:

https://www.amazon.com/Harmonic-Experience-Harmony-Natural-Expression/dp/0892815604

I wouldn't recommend it for the casual browser. He expects you to first learn to sing in tune against a drone. This part I highly recommend; it is incredibly relaxing and meditative, especially if you have an actual tanpura or tanpura-like instrument to sing with.

Next, he theorizes as to how ET harmony evolved to stand in for JI, and he expects you to play chords on a keyboard. The whole book will take months to assimilate, and a lifetime to absorb.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Tell me that’s not a photoshop image!

Oh. It's very real. And, everything on that screen works. FM Player 2 is powered by the new AudioKit Sampler engine developed by Shane Dunne, a brilliant fellow w/ a PhD in Computer Science.

That's the good news. The bad news is that you'll still need to wait a couple of months for me to finish the sound design & recording for all the new sounds. Plus, Shane and I will need to fine-tune a few features...

But, it will be worth the wait 👍🏼

@analog_matt said:

It really is. For one year I have been singing with a drone, which kind of pushes you into singing in tune with Mother Nature's own tuning system (some flavor of just intonation), and then exploring all the microtonal variations that are still in tune with the overtone series.

If you're not familiar with Wendy Carlos's ground breaking work in this area, this is a great read:
    http://www.wendycarlos.com/other/PDF-Files/Kbd86Tunings*.pdf

As is all the rest of here at:
    http://www.wendycarlos.com/resources.html

P.s. Looking forward to this synth...

• I can’t get enough of Marcus’ tunings. Hard to get any work done. Sooo awesome B)

• Thank you @analog_matt for being so supportive of adding a feature like this, and I'm hoping this project will lead to some amazing music--music we can't imagine today.

A free, open source microtonal synth was a dream of Erv Wilson's, who wanted his work shared widely and freely. I'm hoping this lowers the barrier of entry for musicians to experiment with microtonality--it is such a technical field most folks are turned off by the math and diagrams.

• @InfoCheck said:

@TheVimFuego said:

actually it is.. Any non 12 tone equal tempered scale is classified as microtonal. So all those world scales and harmonic scales are microtonal.

I for one am extremely excited about this. Harmonic tunings are so fun to play with. I know people are often intimidated by an octave with more than (or less than) 12 tones, because they think they'll have to relearn the music theory they know. Thing is, that once you begin to understand the harmonic series as the foundation of musical sound, then you see how truly arbitrary the 12 tone system is (and that it's actually out of tune with the exception of the octaves)

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

this is the most concise I've ever come across. Well worth the money for a copy if you're truly curious. It's changed my entire concept of sound (for the better).

http://www.dbdoty.com/Words/Primer1.html