Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

All apps but Gadget load in Cubasis

I just downloaded Cubasis 2 and love it already. However, Gadget is not loading into the interapp menu(IM1 and several others no problem) I set the midi on a Gadget instrument to Cubasis, tried all channels and then channel 1 without success. BG audio is on in settings. What am I missing?
Thanks

Comments

• You need to add an Audio rather than Midi channel. Then under routing, change it from Mono to Inter App. Then Gadget will show up.

This has to do with it being a generator vs. instrument or vice versa. Confusing nonsense, IMO, but just the way it is...

• Try Audiobus 3

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Try Audiobus 3

Why?

• It's pretty obvious. I'll let you figure it out :p

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

Not really. I love Audiobus as much as anyone, but don’t see what adding another piece, and the additional app, concepts to learn, midi routing, midi clock timing and other things add to something that’s relatively straightforward. So I am actually curious why you suggest it - thought I might be missing something. I’m a fan of the AB app switcher and global transport, but in this case the global transport isn’t needed either as IAA sync takes care of that.

Nvm - not trying to be annoying or anything. I was just curious.

• Try Audulus 3.

Now that would be a perplexing suggestion. :D

• Can one transfer Gadget sessions from one iPad to another?
    Just changed my old 12,9 for the new one, but I have important things on the old one.

Please help before I jump out the window.
    It’s only first floor, but im naked.

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

If they’re both on the same iCloud account they should just appear on the other device I think. You just touch the little cloud next to the name to edit them locally.

Make sure Gadget is enabled in iCloud settings on both devices. If they don’t show up right away, try opening and then saving them on the old iPad after checking that iCloud is enabled.

If you do decide to jump, please have a friend stream it on you tube.

• @Kühl said:

...old 12,9....

:# :# :# :# :# :#
    I was thinking to change from a really old Ipad to change into 12,9 :neutral:
    (sorry for OT)

• Thanks, Wim. I'll do that.
    I think I'll pass on Audulus. Need to concentrate on developing my astrophysics app that will launch me into space with one touch on my iPad.

• edited May 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, Wim. I'll do that.
    I think I'll pass on Audulus. Need to concentrate on developing my astrophysics app that will launch me into space with one touch on my iPad.

:D

I was in the Audulus thread last night before looking at this, and I first read the Audiobus 3 recommendation as Audulus 3.
    I thought, “Now that is just MEAN!” :)

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, Wim. I'll do that.

But ... if you build it in Audulus you can make it auto-generate an awesome ambient soundscape to accompany you on your journey.

• Yes, ambiance is much better than ambivalence.
    My first trip will be to the sun. My wife asked if I was worried about being burnt up. I told her I was leaving at night.
    I heard about this restaurant on the moon, though. Then changed my mind. Review said : Great food, no atmosphere.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I heard about this restaurant on the moon, though. Then changed my mind. Review said : Great food, no atmosphere.

Good cratering service though, I've heard.

• @wim said:
    If they’re both on the same iCloud account they should just appear on the other device I think. You just touch the little cloud next to the name to edit them locally.

Make sure Gadget is enabled in iCloud settings on both devices. If they don’t show up right away, try opening and then saving them on the old iPad after checking that iCloud is enabled.

If you do decide to jump, please have a friend stream it on you tube.

Yep, it worked.
    Didn’t have to jump, so I streamed this weekends orgy instead. LOL

• edited May 2018

@wim said:
    Not really. I love Audiobus as much as anyone, but don’t see what adding another piece, and the additional app, concepts to learn, midi routing, midi clock timing and other things add to something that’s relatively straightforward. So I am actually curious why you suggest it - thought I might be missing something. I’m a fan of the AB app switcher and global transport, but in this case the global transport isn’t needed either as IAA sync takes care of that.

Nvm - not trying to be annoying or anything. I was just curious.

Huh??? You load Audiobus. Load Gadget as the input, Cubasis as the output. Audiobus does the rest of the work for you. That's why I suggested it because it's easier and more straightforward and exponentially more stable and reliable than IAA. No concept learning required.

The bit about midiclock, set Cubasis as the midi host/master and set Gadget midi sync to auto. Starting/stopping Cubasis from the AB transport will control the Gadget transport. You can also arm Cubasis to record the armed audio track from the transport whilst in Gadget with perfect synchronization. So yes if you haven't tried it yet, you have been missing out on quite a lot.

• LFSLFS
    edited May 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    I just downloaded Cubasis 2 and love it already. However, Gadget is not loading into the interapp menu(IM1 and several others no problem) I set the midi on a Gadget instrument to Cubasis, tried all channels and then channel 1 without success. BG audio is on in settings. What am I missing?
    Thanks

Hi LinearLineman,

Did not manage to go through all messages here, sorry.

In general, Cubasis fully support Audiobus 3, Inter-App Audio and Audio Unit (including Audio Unit MIDI).

In regards to Inter-App Audio, Cubasis supports all kinds of IAA types:

• Effects can be set as insert or send effects
    • Instruments are assigned to a MIDI track and automatically receive MIDI from Cubasis
    • Generators are inputs for audio tracks

Important:
    It always depends on the app manufacturer what type of nodes are available.

Given your example it seems that Korg does not provide MIDI compatible IAA instruments.
    That's why they do not appear in the list, when a MIDI track is selected.

These are the steps to use the Korg instrument apps in Cubasis via IAA:

• Create an audio track
    • Open the Routing tab in the inspector
    • Tap "Mono input"
    • Choose "Inter-App" in the Audio Inputs pop up
    • Choose the desired Korg instrument apps from the list

Please find more information about IAA right here:
    https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=104551

In general, Apple's Audio Unit format works more straight forward compared to IAA, and many app vendors updated their instruments to be compatible to this standard.

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Lars

• Thanks, Lars. I've uncovered Gadget as advised. I just want to tell you how terrific I think Cubasis is. Maybe it is because I am so inexperienced with DAWs in general that I feel this way, but yesterday i sat down with Cubasis for the first time and I managed to record four discrete tracks, copy and paste 2 bars into a 16 bar sequence, , swap out instruments, mix them and save them as wave files using both a keybd controller and the onboard keys. I know this is no big deal to almost everyone on this forum, but for me it was an amazing and wonderfully satisfying experience. Other than a little time spent with the Gadget sequencer and Xequence, my last hands on experience with recording was with a Tascam four track in 1980!

I know there's a lot to learn about using Cubasis, but once I get a little bit of a grasp on routing and effects usage I feel confident I can get some interesting music down without the system constantly perplexing me as it has so often done in my groping for understanding in iOS land. You can thank Cracklepot and Doug at the soundtestroom for finally convincing me Cubasis was the way to go. I looked at Auria and FLstudio but Cubasis seemed the most intuitive and "familiar"to me. I really expected a lot of frustration in trying to use CB, but, astoundingly, at least using the onboard sounds, it was a breeze once I realized how user friendly it is.

If I could add anything to the CB package it would be the ability to add more inapp instruments, like Miroslav Philharmonik and Gadget synths, but I understand the instruments are sort of an add on and not the real purpose of a DAW. I guess once I understand routing the workflow using stand alone apps I won't be slowed down too much.

So thanks again, Lars, for Cubasis being so accessible for beginners, and your ongoing involvement in the forums. I know it is greatly appreciated by everyone here,

• Question: members have suggested AB as a way to smooth out the workflow using stand alone apps. Would AUM work as well?
    I am more drawn to AUM's UI for some reason.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Question: members have suggested AB as a way to smooth out the workflow using stand alone apps. Would AUM work as well?
    I am more drawn to AUM's UI for some reason.

Both are very useful and helpful. But I suggest one step at a time. You can integrate those apps later, but I suggest getting some of the basic workflow concepts down before you add some iOS only elements. You will have a better general understanding of common workflow practices, and will better appreciate what AUM and Audiobus add to the iOS workflow.

If you try to add those now, it may get you going faster, but you will probably get lost and confused faster without some fundamentals to fall back on.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, Lars. I've uncovered Gadget as advised. I just want to tell you how terrific I think Cubasis is. Maybe it is because I am so inexperienced with DAWs in general that I feel this way, but yesterday i sat down with Cubasis for the first time and I managed to record four discrete tracks, copy and paste 2 bars into a 16 bar sequence, , swap out instruments, mix them and save them as wave files using both a keybd controller and the onboard keys. I know this is no big deal to almost everyone on this forum, but for me it was an amazing and wonderfully satisfying experience. Other than a little time spent with the Gadget sequencer and Xequence, my last hands on experience with recording was with a Tascam four track in 1980!

I know there's a lot to learn about using Cubasis, but once I get a little bit of a grasp on routing and effects usage I feel confident I can get some interesting music down without the system constantly perplexing me as it has so often done in my groping for understanding in iOS land. You can thank Cracklepot and Doug at the soundtestroom for finally convincing me Cubasis was the way to go. I looked at Auria and FLstudio but Cubasis seemed the most intuitive and "familiar"to me. I really expected a lot of frustration in trying to use CB, but, astoundingly, at least using the onboard sounds, it was a breeze once I realized how user friendly it is.

If I could add anything to the CB package it would be the ability to add more inapp instruments, like Miroslav Philharmonik and Gadget synths, but I understand the instruments are sort of an add on and not the real purpose of a DAW. I guess once I understand routing the workflow using stand alone apps I won't be slowed down too much.

So thanks again, Lars, for Cubasis being so accessible for beginners, and your ongoing involvement in the forums. I know it is greatly appreciated by everyone here,

Thank you very much for the kind words, which I will share with our great little Cubasis team!
    Greatly appreciated!

If interested, please feel free to browse our available Cubasis tutorials, which often include useful tips about specific features, workflow improvements and music production in general:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/mobile_apps/cubasis/resources.html

Thanks again,
    Lars