Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Program change messages in Thumjam question

Hey guys, i'm trying to get my nano key studio to send program changes of which it does but i can't figure out how to access the user instruments? Does anyone know what program change values they are? The Nanokey studio doesn't seem to send msb's and bank select info..the thumjam manual and it says: Bank MSB 01 - Program changes after receiving a bank select MSB (CC0) of 1 will load the User presets instruments with the given index. I can't figure out how to do this as in the control editor, there is an option to change button to program change but only a value of 1-127 is available. Can anyone help with my lack of knowledge on this topic?

Comments

• Do you have sounds loaded into the User slots in TJ? I don't think the slots already have sounds loaded into them. You would need to save a preset with all of the sounds loaded in the User slots but I'm not sure if you can use a Program Change message to switch between presets. Maybe @sonosaurus can chime in

• edited May 2018

You have to send the Bank Change message first, then it will use Program Change #s 0-127 to load the instruments from the set Bank. It will continue to use this Bank until you send it another Bank Change message to switch it to a new Bank. Then Program Change messages will switch between instruments in this newly selected Bank.

So, the PC messages valued between 0-127 should be ok. You just have to send a BanknChange message first, to get TJ to switch to the User Bank (Bank 1, per the manual).

To send a Bank Select message to change to the User Bank, try sending a message on CC# 0 with a value of 1. This should change the Bank, then Program Change messages will select from this Bank using values 0-127.

I haven’t actually tried this, but I read the Midi Spec and tried to figure out how to do this Bank/Program Change switching. This is the standard midi way to do it, and it seems like TJ is using this method.

Good luck! :)

• @theinfinate, CracklePot is correct! You just need to send one bank select message (CC #0) with value of 1 to get ThumbJam to load User presets when it gets program change messages. Sending a CC0 with value 0 will set it back to using the factory presets for PC. If your nanokey can't be configured to send the bank select, you'll just need to send it from somewhere else. If you want to use the nanokey, it looks like you'll need to waste a knob, set it up to send CC #0, with Left Value of 0, and Right Value of 1, so you can switch between factory and user by turning the knob all the way left or all the way right.

• @sonosaurus said:
    @theinfinate, CracklePot is correct! You just need to send one bank select message (CC #0) with value of 1 to get ThumbJam to load User presets when it gets program change messages. Sending a CC0 with value 0 will set it back to using the factory presets for PC. If your nanokey can't be configured to send the bank select, you'll just need to send it from somewhere else. If you want to use the nanokey, it looks like you'll need to waste a knob, set it up to send CC #0, with Left Value of 0, and Right Value of 1, so you can switch between factory and user by turning the knob all the way left or all the way right.

Awesome! More pieces to the puzzle!
    Thank you @sonosaurus :)

• aha, thanks guys, yep that works. And yep it seems i have to waste a knob, such a shame to waste a knob!