Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trancegate AU - “Perforator” available now

Comments

• @syrupcore said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    How are people making trance gates on iOS right now? What are you using?

Pumphouse works similarly but definitely (intentionally) has that side-chain compressor feel. For fixed-interval stuff (1/16, 1/8, 1/4, etc), the Johnny tremolo plugin (IAA) works for audio or Rozeta LFO pointed at a volume control, both with square waves. Or, if using a DAW capable of it, good old volume automation.

Using a triggered envelope may be interesting to try. I think Model 15 can output its envelope generator as midi cc. You could give it the percussive spike attack, or lengthen the release a bit. Or just use attack/decay to have a skewable saw/triangle shaped gate.
    Eh, might be easier to just wait for this and Envolver and introduce those apps to each other. They should make great friends.

• Yeah, chaining of different gates-pattern would be nice 👍🏼

• edited May 2018

@Daveypoo said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Daveypoo said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Samu said:
    Looks, cool!

Guess there will be some 'Bram Twists' baked in there as usual, looking forward to that for sure :)
    One would a Mirror L & R in addition to Link L/R for some crazy panned gating or even pan automation.

From the looks of it it's an Audio Effect as Cubasis has a separate slot for Midi Plug-Ins.

Complete aside, but I’ve done my last two projects in Cubasis and between the MIDI editing and midi plug in support...I find my allegiance switching from Auria. Once you give in to MIDI, not being a live performance virtuoso...man. The world opens up.

I agree, @oat_phipps. Every time I try to do anything with MIDI in Auria I just end up frustrated or crashing the app. I just stopped. Now it's Cubasis for the MIDI, then on to Auria for audio mixing.

YES. Good to hear I'm not alone in having a very expensive app with very expensive plug-ins that basically just polishes.

My journey with Auria has been mostly frustration. I fought and fought and fought with it until I won a code for Cubasis. Then I finally understood why I needed both.

As a crusty old geezer, it's tough sometimes to rewire my thinking and accept that there is no one single app on the entire iPad which will give me 100% of my work flow from PC. I have to treat the iPad itself as the "host DAW" rather than it being an app... that mindset seems to work the best for me to get where I need to go.

Dogs learning tricks and all that.

That really is how I’ve had to start seeing things with my iPhone. I’m creating loops and phrases with my myriad of apps, and then I’m combining/compiling them into tracks on MultiTrack DAW to create my whole songs.

• @brambos recent work reminded me of something but I couldn’t remember what it was. Then it came to me. Anyone remember Koblo?

• @syrupcore said:

Oh, man. You just triggered: what if instead of just a volume gate each bar could be set as a "balance" control between two discreet AU outputs. Don't hook up the second output and it works exactly like it does now. Hook up the second and you could essentially automate between two different fx/signal paths.

• @anickt said:
    @brambos recent work reminded me of something but I couldn’t remember what it was. Then it came to me. Anyone remember Koblo?

Brings back some memories from the clasic MacOS8-9 days when the internet was ’new’ and HotLine & Carracho servers were popular for ehm ’stuff’ :)

• @brambos said:
    I’ll experiment with MIDI out once the regular effect is out the door :)

:o :) B)

Thanks dude

• edited May 2018

@brambos

Any chance to implement into that gate also multimode filter ? It would be great to have posibility to gate not volume but LP/BP/HP filter cutoff - very creative approach, very interesting result

Btw. really like the name :-) Perforator yeah ! Best name from all your currenct appse ;)

Of course, instabuy immediately after it arrives in appstore. Or is tehere already preorder available ?

• Regarding the 'gate patterns' an euclidian mode with step-gate % (ie. if gate is 100% and 3 steps are 'on' the gate would stay open for 3 steps) could be an interesting option here :)

• @dendy said:
    @brambos

Any chance to implement into that gate also multimode filter ? It would be great to have posibility to gate not volume but LP/BP/HP filter cutoff - very creative approach, very interesting result

Btw. really like the name :-) Perforator yeah ! Best name from all your currenct appse ;)

Of course, instabuy immediately after it arrives in appstore. Or is tehere already preorder available ?

I was thinking the same. This would be sweet.

• edited May 2018

A little while ago I was interested in trying to accomplish something similar to Infected Mushroom's Gatekeeper but for iOS.

If anyone has Audulus, here is a gate effect you can download that I find quite satisfying. As Audulus moves into the future there will be more curve implementation for spline.

I posted this elsewhere but I don't think anyone really noticed...It is presently Interapp Audio, but there are plans for AUv3 for Audulus 4.

• Will this be similar to Camel Audio's "CamelSpace" vst? Hope so.

• @studs1966 said:

Yes, similar to the bottom 5th part of CamelSpace :D

• @brambos said:

@studs1966 said:

"Yabba Dabba Do!"......... :)

• @brambos said:

@studs1966 said:

Come man, don't be lazy, give us the whole thing!

:p

• @richardyot said:

@brambos said:

@studs1966 said:

Looking at that Camelspace thing, it seems Kosmonaut and Perforator together will get you quite far ;)

• edited May 2018

Nice....a good trance gate FX is needed as AUv3 on iOS.
    Camel Space is still a classic and the Camel Space 2.0 now called Step FX in Logic is my favorite multi-FX.
    So it´s Apple´s job to bring that to iOS.
    In the meantime this trancegate looks really nice. Indeed midi out to control a reverb, filter, delay, distortion etc. would be nice of course.

• edited May 2018

@brambos said:

@richardyot said:

@brambos said:

@studs1966 said:

Looking at that Camelspace thing, it seems Kosmonaut and Perforator together will get you quite far ;)

Makes a note that greedy dev is expecting us to buy two separate apps at $3.99.

:D

• @futureaztec said:

A little while ago I was interested in trying to accomplish something similar to Infected Mushroom's Gatekeeper but for iOS.

If anyone has Audulus, here is a gate effect you can download that I find quite satisfying. As Audulus moves into the future there will be more curve implementation for spline.

I posted this elsewhere but I don't think anyone really noticed...It is presently Interapp Audio, but there are plans for AUv3 for Audulus 4.

Ta very much, will be playing with that later.

• @syrupcore said:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: that this has a number of steps control. Gonna make all manner of weirdo polymeteric fun the day this drops. I still have my Korg ER1 hooked up to do exactly this via its audio input channels.

Only seen a 8 second video but already the dreams are dreaming.

In the spirit of the other Rozeta sequencers, would love to see a Mutate button on this.

Would also love to (eventually) see a "Move by +/- N steps after each repeat". Could be used to do simple 'accent the down beats this time and then accent the off beats next time' with a value of +2 but could quickly dig into Bramiam Style generative sounding stuff with odd numbered offsets and even numbered steps. See Patterning for an example of this in action.

On a slightly more utilitarian note, manual controls to shift the steps left and right would also be very welcome.

Seconded. All great ideas.

• It works sufficiently well to keep it in. Keep in mind that these envelopes are quite fast, so they are more like on/off switches with a bit of attack/decay. For true envelope MIDI control FAC Envolver is probably the better candidate. But it's going to be in there if anyone needs it. B)

• @brambos said:

It works sufficiently well to keep it in. Keep in mind that these envelopes are quite fast, so they are more like on/off switches with a bit of attack/decay. For true envelope MIDI control FAC Envolver is probably the better candidate. But it's going to be in there if anyone needs it. B)

Looking good! :)

Have you thought about adding an option to create euclidian patterns and maybe an optional 'gate mode'(ie. stay open at the set value for % of the step) to the steps and an even crazier 'mirror mode' for L&R lanes?(Think open on left side closed on right and vice versa).

Someday we'll maybe be able to use multiple Instrument & Midi AUv3's per track in Cubasis and also be able to route the 'CC's to the instruments hosted on the track using simple AU parmeter names :)

It's too hot to think clearly...

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

It works sufficiently well to keep it in. Keep in mind that these envelopes are quite fast, so they are more like on/off switches with a bit of attack/decay. For true envelope MIDI control FAC Envolver is probably the better candidate. But it's going to be in there if anyone needs it. B)

Looking good! :)

Have you thought about adding an option to create euclidian patterns and maybe an optional 'gate mode'(ie. stay open at the set value for % of the step) to the steps and an even crazier 'mirror mode' for L&R lanes?(Think open on left side closed on right and vice versa).

Mirror mode, yes: Left and Right can optionally be edited sepately. Euclidean and variable gates I have thought about. Euclidean was a bit too 'obscure' for the nature of the app, variable gate can be approximated using the envelope/slope steepness.

I also made a combination of gating through amp and filter. The balance between amp and filter effect is variable (and can be optionally automated, as can the peak-cutoff frequency of the filter).

• Oh my goodness, you thought this well through!
    Cant wait to play around with the perforator...!

• @brambos said:

Mirror mode, yes: Left and Right can optionally be edited sepately. Euclidean and variable gates I have thought about.

That's neat!

It will be quite handy for doing some hard and stepped panning for audio so it would be like an 'auto invert' L&R instead of Lock L&R. For midi it's enough to set one of the lanes to send on CC10 and use the other one for CC7/11.

• @brambos That sweep between filter/amp is effing brilliant. Can not wait to play with this.

• @syrupcore said:
    @brambos That sweep between filter/amp is effing brilliant. Can not wait to play with this.

I quite like using sweeping the cutoff using part filter/part amp gating. With the right amount of dry sound mixed in it sounds distinctly different from the traditional trance gate, more like pads with rhythmic/pulsating accents embedded inside.

I'll make a video later today.

B)

• @brambos said:

@syrupcore said:
    @brambos That sweep between filter/amp is effing brilliant. Can not wait to play with this.

I quite like using sweeping the cutoff using part filter/part amp gating. With the right amount of dry sound mixed in it sounds distinctly different from the traditional trance gate, more like pads with rhythmic/pulsating accents embedded inside.

I'll make a video later today.

B)

This sounds truly special. Highly anticipated!