Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Infinite Looper/Aleph Looper 2.1 update -- more loops, Launchpad, and MIDI fixes! And morestickers!

12345679»

Comments

• @SecretBaseDesign I was thinking about you and yours (in this context yours being your app, not your family :) ) just last night. There are some apps that just become part of your at-least-once-a-week fiddle toolbox but never get mentioned much (they do what they do; what's to say?) and I can imagine devs must sometimes wonder if everyone's forgotten them :) Better than problems and complaints, but still.... Happy hols.

• edited December 2017

Likewise, was glad to see your comments in the thread, @SecretBaseDesign. I use your apps all the time--just found a use case for voxkit this week! Hope you and yours have happy holidays...

Welcome @Markosdee!

• Cheers Luke!

• @aaronpc said:
    @SecretBaseDesign Any new thoughts regarding AU hosting and/or AU midi hosting?

Very much looking at the AU stuff, and that should happen in the next release. I've been kind of quiet on the forums, but there's plenty of stuff happening at the 'base, with roll-outs planned for early next year.

In addition to AUs, I'm expecting to have support for multiple SoundFont files, and I might even add in a sampler. There should also be more complex audio chain processing, so that you can host effects apps, mixers, and so on, all in one wrapper.

And -- happy holidays to everyone! (Also, everyone get ready for February Album Writing Month, the happiest time of the year!)

• @SecretBaseDesign Great news. It's going to be a good new year.

• @SecretBaseDesign said:

@aaronpc said:

Very much looking at the AU stuff, and that should happen in the next release. I've been kind of quiet on the forums, but there's plenty of stuff happening at the 'base, with roll-outs planned for early next year.

In addition to AUs, I'm expecting to have support for multiple SoundFont files, and I might even add in a sampler. There should also be more complex audio chain processing, so that you can host effects apps, mixers, and so on, all in one wrapper.

And -- happy holidays to everyone! (Also, everyone get ready for February Album Writing Month, the happiest time of the year!)

Your MIDImorphosis is indispensable on my surfaces. It's a workhorse that gets quite a workout.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@SecretBaseDesign said:

@aaronpc said:

Your MIDImorphosis is indispensable on my surfaces. It's a workhorse that gets quite a workout.

I'm interested, how do you use MIDImorphosis?

• @JeffChasteen said:

Following this! I know @SecretBaseDesign has moved many of its features into Infinite Looper, but I never use it there, instead preferring standalone. But I'm always interested in how other people are using it!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@SecretBaseDesign said:

@aaronpc said:

I'm interested, how do you use MIDImorphosis?

Converting audio files to MIDI. Often I will end up with strange and useable results.

• what’s the difference in features between Infinite Looper/Aleph? apart from ipad/iphone? pls. ta+

• @jollyDodger said:
    what’s the difference in features between Infinite Looper/Aleph? apart from ipad/iphone? pls. ta+

Aleph is iPhone only, and bargain priced. Infinite is universal. They have all the same features, except that Infinite uses the iPad screen fully (and it can do the slide-over/side-by-side thing). I was sort of envisioning Aleph as the "trial size" -- for folks who aren't sure it's the right app; there's a bundle to upgrade to Infinite so that if you dig it, Aleph is effectively free.

There's no "try before you buy" with the app store, and a lot of people don't like to return apps for refunds (and Apple can make it a pain), which is why we went this way. Hopefully, an easy and inexpensive way to check out the features.

• edited May 2018

thank-you for the quick reply sir. bought! i especially like your last update. i’m looking for midi modulation functions, like midi delay and swing. Any more humanise functions (see mpc live & mashine vids for cool intergrations ) , or condition trigs on patterns/notes ( elektron digitak ) most welcome!!!

what drum-machines have you enjoyed using it with? thumbDrum and mpd pads are going to be my first adventure today.

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Am I correct that IL doesn't have a swing feature? This really hampers those of us who play jazzy stuff!

No swing right now -- but it's likely to happen in the next release. The plan is to have this be something you can toggle on or off per track, and a song-wide swing amount.

@SecretBaseDesign for what it's worth I agree with @ricksteruk above. I do believe that IL is the only iOS midi looper with midi controller sections or scenes that can be controlled with one button for Next and one for Previous. This is tremendously helpful for musicians with an instrument in their hands and four buttons at their feet. It's not feasible to use a launchpad or other 16 to 64 button controller to move between sections or scenes with an instrument in your hands. I do believe IL could fill a niche that Modstep and BM3 leave vacant simply by building on what's already here, as @ricksteruk has suggested. I also think it would be helpful to allow for tempo changes per section--the chorus of a tune should pick up the pace a little, right? (This is well designed and implemented in Modstep.)

In general, iOS needs an app that allows us to pre-build a set with a bunch of MIDI stuff...

And WRT @ricksteruk on song sections -- the way to do that is to create a new section, for each verse or chorus. I had thought about having some way to indicate that two sections were supposed to be identical, but it just seemed to be too complex in terms of user interface -- no good way to explain it.

The way I normally work, I create the verse section, get that sorted out, create a chorus section, get that sorted out -- and then if I need more copies....
    1) Select the verse by tapping on it in the list
    2) Tap "add new section" -- that creates a new section, with all the right loops already enable.
    3) Need a chorus? Tap the chorus section, and then "add new section."
    It's pretty quick, and gets the job done. You can then tweak the individual sections if needed, to add in what you want.

I'll look into tweaking the tempo per section, and maybe having a way to send out MIDI patch changes at the start of a section -- I think I could do that through the section edit dialog, and have the UI still make sense.

I'll probably add in support for MIDI bank select and patch select to individual tracks, so if you're talking to external MIDI equipment, you can have that stuff sent automatically when a song loads.

Thanks for reading!

Happy to hear people are getting a kick out of the app!

Also -- the Link synchronization weirdness with GTL -- still some work for me to do on Link integration. Link has a global "beat clock" that tells you what measure you're supposed to be on -- and depending on when/where the play button is pressed, it may be a few measures before things line up where they're supposed to. I'll try to look into this, and see if I can figure out how to make things work better. GTL is my favorite guitar looper, so I'm kind of motivated to get it right. (And there's a bit of motivation to add audio recording to Infinite Looper -- I roasted a bunch of coffee in the past week or two, so you never know what will happen.)

Those all sound like great features, but mostly I am here to ask about tempo change per scene. How is that coming along? That is the only feature stopping my band from using this live.

• @Multicellular said:

Those all sound like great features, but mostly I am here to ask about tempo change per scene. How is that coming along? That is the only feature stopping my band from using this live.

I'll see if I can get that into the next release -- if the tempo is set by the song section -- e.g., you switch to a new section, and then it sets the tempo -- would that work for what you need?

I'm grinding away on the code; there's a major new feature that I'm putting in, and that's sort of eating my brain at the moment.

@Multicellular said:

I'll see if I can get that into the next release -- if the tempo is set by the song section -- e.g., you switch to a new section, and then it sets the tempo -- would that work for what you need?

I'm grinding away on the code; there's a major new feature that I'm putting in, and that's sort of eating my brain at the moment.

Yes, yes...section not scene sorry. Appreciate your prompt response!

So a section change would change the active tempo/midi clock.

Key feature is having an arrangement with sections with different tempos. Rarely do we have intro, verse, chorus, bridge, all the same tempo.

We can do barebones midi backing track esque setup and just play the outboard or soft synth effects and call it a performance. But recording midi loops live would be ideal.

In other words, would be impressive, but not a deal breaker if you could lay down parts on the fly a la

And have empty sections, maybe that would just take having an empty midi clip in them with the coding your are already planning? And record more midi without stopping and add them to the (tempo adjusted) section.

@Multicellular said:

Keep at it! Your brain has done useful things already!