Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KQ Dixie new AU FM synth

Comments

• Speaking of DX7 soundbanks, this is the best website I've seen yet - at least it organizes them by name and author. Suzanne Ciani and others are there:

http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/dx7_soundbanks.html

• With Dixie costing less than a third of NFM, I guess the latter has been sidelined. But how do they compare sonically and on features? Does the Dixie have osc waves other than sine, like FM8? I’m not so interested in loading 1000s of dx7 patches, been there with the FM8. Afai can tell Dixie is a straight up emulation of the dx7, great. Does anyone prefer the NFM for its sound and extra features? Would be reallly interested to hear from anyone who has delved into patching with both.. Cheers!

• This app can't hold a candle to FM8. I know. the comparison is unfair, but there were such comparisons earlier in this thread. At least this app makes me appreciate what a sublime synth the FM8 is.

• @ElectroHead said:
    This app can't hold a candle to FM8. I know. the comparison is unfair, but there were such comparisons earlier in this thread. At least this app makes me appreciate what a sublime synth the FM8 is.

I love FM8...was actually one of the original FM7/FM8 beta testers for NI, but at least to mine ears Dixie can definitely hold a candle :D

• edited March 2018

This app is fantastic and the brown and pink UI is beautiful. I like it more than Phasemaker.

• @Samu said:
    I do hope a future update will bring better bank/patch management and make it easier to copy a patch from one bank to a slot in another bank. It's one thing to find a good patch but a pain to remember what bank they came from :)

Yeah, I have read the instructions on how to manage the preset nonsense, then I forget. This is such a beautiful app in so many ways, the preset stuff really needs to be tightened up. I am poorly disciplined managing non-intuitive things -- that's why I own Apple products, I am a lazy fool.

• Anyone know a soundbank with some serious Juno style sawwave/hoover/whisper style sounds? Like the big witch house synths.

• @DCJ said:

@Iostress said:
    Anyone? Is this not possible? Like just a simple 'create empty bank' and then save to it?

Alright. Get ready because there are a lot of steps.

1. Click the name of the preset to name it what you want. Click done.
    2. Go the cart.
    3. Select the bank you want to save it to.
    4. Click the name of the preset AGAIN. Make sure it shows the patches of the bank you selected.
    5. Click store. Then select a slot in the bank.
    6. You should still be on the cart page. Click store on the top right.
    7. Touch the bank you just saved the preset to. It will ask you if you want to overwitre the bank. You do.

If you need to create a bank as opposed to saving a patch to one already created, make sure you’re on the cart page, hit store, then hit new. Name the bank and make sure you select AUx and 32 voices.

Hope that makes sense and that I didn’t mess up any steps. :D

I have been working around this for weeks, avoiding it. I thought if I watched this video or followed the directions here I was bound to be able to reorganize things. I just wasted half an hour again getting nowhere. The issue I am having is that when I go find a preset in a bank, select it and then choose another bank, the original preset is replaced by some new preset in the bank I selected. :s

• Make sure to click Store before you select the slot where you want the preset to go to. You then have to resave the bank that you just moved the preset to before you leave it.

• edited April 2018

@yowza the issue I have is that I want to store a preset and then add it to a new bank. Basically I want to go through the banks, find the good presets and then put them all in one bank. But when I select a another bank with a preset at hand, it vanishes as soon as I pick another bank.

Can I not copy presets between banks? :s

• Yes you can do this but you have to move one preset at a time because you can’t select multiple presets and each time you move one preset to a new bank you have to resave the bank with the new preset in it immediately or when you leave it the new preset changes aren’t saved.

Maybe I still don’t understand what’s going on. If you follow the videos exactly as they indicate it will work but it sounds like you are trying to do something different and want to move a bunch of presets first and then save the bank but that’s not how it works.

Am I making sense?

• edited April 2018

Let me try again.

1 Load the sound that you want to save somewhere else and make sure it’s name is displayed as the current preset (name shows on button on left side above keyboard) example preset is Dreamscape

2 Hit cart button and navigate to the bank where you want to save Dreamscape (For this example name the bank Favorites or whatever)

3 Once the Favorites bank is selected go up and hit the Store button at the top then on the right side select the slot where you want to save the preset. Dreamscape should now be in the selected preset slot. If you stop now the preset is not going to be saved to Favorites just yet. I think this is where you’re stuck.

4 Go up to the top and immediately hit Store then select the Favorites bank and you should get a window asking you to confirm and Overwrite the bank so hit ok. This saves and overwrites the Favorites bank with the new Dreamscape preset in it. If you don’t immediately overwrite the Favories bank every time you move a new preset to it the preset moves aren’t saved.

5 Go out find another preset and load it as the current preset and at this point you are back to step 1 again

Rinse and repeat this process for each preset move.

I think you are not immediately saving and overwriting the bank after you move a preset to it.

• @yowza said:

2 Hit cart button and navigate to the bank where you want to save Dreamscape

As soon as I select the bank I want to save the loaded preset to, the loaded preset gets replaced by the preset in the slot in the bank I am selecting.

It's like I get the preset loaded up then choose the bank, but then as soon as I select the bank I loose the preset.

• I just noticed something. When I am in the iTunes file sharing menu I don't seem to have this problem.... So it must be an issue of copying from folder to folder -- the solution being to copy whole banks over to folders and then copy presets from bank to bank within those folders.

Jesus! No offence to him...

• I’m not seeing what happens to you, maybe the bank you are going to already has a preset loaded? Try the unload button at the top, not sure what that does.

Good point about iTunes file sharing, I always save in the iCloud space myself so whenever I get a new bank of faves I can keep the same presets on my phone and iPad. Maybe the banks behave differently in AU, iCloud and iTunes save spaces.

• @futureaztec said:

@yowza said:

2 Hit cart button and navigate to the bank where you want to save Dreamscape

As soon as I select the bank I want to save the loaded preset to, the loaded preset gets replaced by the preset in the slot in the bank I am selecting.

It's like I get the preset loaded up then choose the bank, but then as soon as I select the bank I loose the preset.

I had the same problem until I found the Dexed_Init.syx bank and saved/renamed in the Audio Unit folder as Favorite.syx, Favorite-1.syx, etc. When I went to copy and save that folder, I made sure to save it as a 32 voice folder. For some reason, trying to save presets any other way simply did not work for me. I would just lose the preset as soon as I selected the folder I wanted to save to. It took a good hour of fumbling around but, once I paid attention to the way I made a folder for saving my presets to, it worked

• I just found a bank that had a preset preloaded and it switched my preset but hitting the Unload button at the top unloaded that preset and it went back to my original preset so try that.

• W23W23
    edited April 2018

https://sites.google.com/site/teksonik/screenshots/Dexed_Init.syx?attredirects=0&d=1

Here's a download link to an initialized .syx file that a very nice gentleman posted on Page 9 of this thread (thank you, Samu!). It actually WORKS for saving to.

• 32 + 1 banks load the last preset used in that bank when you open the bank. I stay away from those and just use 32 voice banks. This is what I think is happening to @futureaztec.

When I’m digging through downloaded presets and find some I want to keep, I do a quick save on the bank so it’s easier to get back to. When I’m done searching then I go back and move the presets one by one into the banks I want. This saves a lot of digging back into archives to get back to where I left off.

• So... I'm getting desperate for some help, I can't seem to find any info anywhere on how to edit a hardware dx7 with this app. I just picked up a dx7 mk 1 a week ago and bought this app in hopes of being able to edit the dx7, I'm running it through an irig pro to my iPhone, and I've tried the midi "in" "out" and "thru" on the dx7 to no avail. The dx7 works instantly like a charm as a controller for KQ Dixie when I plug it into "out", so I know it's sending midi at least one way. I'm totally new to all this so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious but I'd super appreciate some guidance.

• edited May 2018

@bozart said:
    So... I'm getting desperate for some help, I can't seem to find any info anywhere on how to edit a hardware dx7 with this app. I just picked up a dx7 mk 1 a week ago and bought this app in hopes of being able to edit the dx7, I'm running it through an irig pro to my iPhone, and I've tried the midi "in" "out" and "thru" on the dx7 to no avail. The dx7 works instantly like a charm as a controller for KQ Dixie when I plug it into "out", so I know it's sending midi at least one way. I'm totally new to all this so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious but I'd super appreciate some guidance.

Hi, i am certainly no expert, but what i think you need is an editor for your DX7. The KQ Dixie is a DX7 software instrument in it's own right, designed to be played on the iPad. It's an added bonus for you that your hardware DX7 can control it, that sounds like great fun. Now for the bad news.........i think something like this may be what your after:
    https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-touch-for-yamaha-dx-tx
    If you have a PC/Mac, i think there are DX7 Editor solutions to be found as well, but as i have never owned a hardware DX7, i have never used any............i am sure there are plenty of other folks on this forum, who are much more knowledgeable than me about the DX7, hopefully someone else can offer more comprehensive help for you............hope you get it sorted, the DX7 is a great synth, hope you find the right editor for it............i think some of the PC/Mac ones may be free, but i am not sure..........Good Luck with it...........

• @Iso said:

@bozart said:
    So... I'm getting desperate for some help, I can't seem to find any info anywhere on how to edit a hardware dx7 with this app. I just picked up a dx7 mk 1 a week ago and bought this app in hopes of being able to edit the dx7, I'm running it through an irig pro to my iPhone, and I've tried the midi "in" "out" and "thru" on the dx7 to no avail. The dx7 works instantly like a charm as a controller for KQ Dixie when I plug it into "out", so I know it's sending midi at least one way. I'm totally new to all this so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious but I'd super appreciate some guidance.

Hi, i am certainly no expert, but what i think you need is an editor for your DX7. The KQ Dixie is a DX7 software instrument in it's own right, designed to be played on the iPad. It's an added bonus for you that your hardware DX7 can control it, that sounds like great fun. Now for the bad news.........i think something like this may be what your after:
    https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-touch-for-yamaha-dx-tx
    If you have a PC/Mac, i think there are DX7 Editor solutions to be found as well, but as i have never owned a hardware DX7, i have never used any............i am sure there are plenty of other folks on this forum, who are much more knowledgeable than me about the DX7, hopefully someone else can offer a more comprehensive help for you............hope you get it sorted, the DX7 is a great synth, hope you find the right editor for it............i think some of the PC/Mac ones may be free, but i am not sure..........Good Luck with it...........

Hi it just occurred to me, that you maybe better off starting a new thread, along the lines of; Does anyone have experience with Yamaha DX7 Editors on IOS , PC or Mac.......or something along those lines..............people on the forum would be more likely to respond to that..........Good Luck.........

• Dixie works with my TX7, sometimes a little quirky, it sent across about 20 presets fine the rest were corrupted, so I had to send those individually.

• Thanks for the response Iso, I'm aware of many editors for PC/Mac and iPad, I only have an iPhone as of now though... this is why I was excited about KQ Dixie as it says in the product description that it can manage the hardware dx7 when it's connected via midi. If knewspeak is able to get it to jive with the tx7 this leads me to believe it's certainly possible and I'm just doing something wrong... I may have to start my own thread (thanks for the tip), I just posted to this one as it's the most in depth conversation about the app I've seen.

• edited May 2018

@bozart said:
    Thanks for the response Iso, I'm aware of many editors for PC/Mac and iPad, I only have an iPhone as of now though... this is why I was excited about KQ Dixie as it says in the product description that it can manage the hardware dx7 when it's connected via midi. If knewspeak is able to get it to jive with the tx7 this leads me to believe it's certainly possible and I'm just doing something wrong... I may have to start my own thread (thanks for the tip), I just posted to this one as it's the most in depth conversation about the app I've seen.

HaHa! You know more about it than i do! KQ Dixie is a great emulation. I would be really interested to hear if it can work as an editor for the DX7......would make it an even better app. It's hard to gauge peoples level of knowledge on this forum sometimes, especially as you said you were new to all this stuff! Good luck getting it sorted........ :)

• @Iso said:

@bozart said:
    Thanks for the response Iso, I'm aware of many editors for PC/Mac and iPad, I only have an iPhone as of now though... this is why I was excited about KQ Dixie as it says in the product description that it can manage the hardware dx7 when it's connected via midi. If knewspeak is able to get it to jive with the tx7 this leads me to believe it's certainly possible and I'm just doing something wrong... I may have to start my own thread (thanks for the tip), I just posted to this one as it's the most in depth conversation about the app I've seen.

HaHa! You know more about it than i do! KQ Dixie is a great emulation. I would be really interested to hear if it can work as an editor for the DX7......would make it an even better app. It's hard to gauge peoples level of knowledge on this forum sometimes, especially as you said you were new to all this stuff! Good luck getting it sorted........ :)

It does work as an editor, @bozart if you have any patches you wish to keep be careful switching 'carts' banks this can overwrite the hardware synths patches, all of them.

• @bozart Yes it does work as a dx7 editor, it works with my Tx802, if so it should work with a Mk1....although hold on, which irig pro do you mean? If it's the one I think you mean it's only midi in not out so that's why it's not working. So you'd need a different midi interface which is two way. :)

• Wow, after a quick internet search it looks like you're right Carnbot, though they bury that little piece of information in the details. Frustrating, but I'm on my way now! Thank you tons!

• And on second thought looks like I'll be learning to edit the dx7 proper, menu diving and all because they don't make a cheap enough midi interface for me to justify buying. Oh well, for 4$ KQ Dixie is still a dream of a little app and it is neat how seamlessly the dx7 works in tandem with it as a controller, 32 soundbanks and all.

• @bozart said:
    And on second thought looks like I'll be learning to edit the dx7 proper, menu diving and all because they don't make a cheap enough midi interface for me to justify buying. Oh well, for 4$ KQ Dixie is still a dream of a little app and it is neat how seamlessly the dx7 works in tandem with it as a controller, 32 soundbanks and all.

i'd recommend something like an iconnectmidi2 or if you've the budget an iconnectaudio4.
    But yes Dixie is awesome as an app and as a Dx7 controller too :)