Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

cubasis midi clock bug?

When I play something from cubasis (who sends the midi clock sync via the yamaha MD-BT01) all my devices starts but the regularity of the clock is not correct.
Have you any feedback ? Is there a possibility to configure cubasis in midi out or to go through another app that has a more stable clock?

Comments

• Just guessing but IMO is more about Bluetooth rather than cubasis clock

• edited May 2018

Are you playing cubasis in looped mode ? There is a longstanding bug with this...the second beat after the loop point comes too quickly so clock goes out of sync....it should work fine when NOT looping though..

• edited May 2018

I've never had a problem with Cubasis' master clock sent to external gear except with one low-cost, class-compliant MIDI interface from a chinese manufacturer.
    I'm using the Quicco mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI dongles which are quite similar to the Yamahas and I can imagine that MIDI clock over bluetooth has to be enabled first, although your description doesn't sound exactly like that.

In case of my Quiccos I have to send the sysex message
    F0 00 02 08 10 55 01 00 00 F7
    to enable MIDI clock,
    and
    F0 00 02 08 10 55 01 00 01 F7
    to disable its transmission.

Maybe you have to follow a similar procedure with your BT01. Without Midi Clock enabled, only STATUS messages will be transmitted (like START/STOP/CONTINUE).

Update: You're right, Cubasis indeed seems to have issues sending MIDI Clock over Bluetooth.
    Tried the same with the DM2 drum machine (DM2 sends MIDI clock) and it syncs perfectly with my Digitakt, I only had to enable "DM2 sends MIDI to > mi.1 bluetooth > TEMPO". Also tried the other way (Digitakt as clock master and DM2 as clock slave), both worked properly even during realtime tempo changes.

Interestingly, iSpark and Gadget slave-synced tightly to MIDI clock from hardware although they didn't like sending clock over bluetooth at all. In my case I'm OK with it because I prefer to hit play/stop on hardware buttons, and clock from hardware is usually much more stable than from iOS apps :)

One more thing to take care of: Since most apps to not support negative clock sync offset corrections (or no offset adjustment at all), using only the iPad/iPhone speaker or headphones may introduce constant delays especially when the iPad is the clock slave and audio latency is added after receiving MIDI clock pulses.
    Using a proper audio interface connected to the iPad will reduce these delays considerably because the audio i/f latency is usually much lower than that of the built-in audio out.

• @AndyPlankton you’re right. I make tests in loop mode, I will try in normal song mode.
    @rs2000 thanks for your feed-back.How is it possible to send a sysex message to your blutooth interface? Since which device do you send your message?
    I’m going to make tests with DM2.
    For the latency you’re right, I’m using an external usb interface, that’s why I’m using the Bluetooth to transmit the midi signal to my different devices.
    what I would have liked Is to have cubasis in slave mode. It would have been easier.

• @thovy64 said:
    @AndyPlankton you’re right. I make tests in loop mode, I will try in normal song mode.
    @rs2000 thanks for your feed-back.How is it possible to send a sysex message to your blutooth interface? Since which device do you send your message?

I wondered a while how to do this too because Ableton can't do sysex and I don't know any tools like MidiOx on Mac. Didn't want to program a new template in Lemur nor fuzz around with Python Sysex MIDI...
    I did it on iOS with Midiflow.
    You create a new "song", add a modifier and scroll down to "Send on load". Tap "Send Controller", scroll down to "Message" and add the hex string as a SysEx message.
    I placed a Midi Clock block at the beginning of the chain so I can immediately test if sending Midi Clock to the hardware works.

what I would have liked Is to have cubasis in slave mode. It would have been easier.

Oh yes, indeed. BTW, an app that supports Ableton Link already has the logic to do Midi Slave Sync because it has to time-stretch audio tracks / loops in order to follow tempo changes anyway. Only the proper Midi Clock receive and smoothing functions have to be added, and there are even good and free developer libraries for that purpose, it just seems that most developers don't know about them or ... maybe they just don't want to know ;)

Although Cubasis on iOS already supports real-time time stretching, as the desktop versions of Cubase don't support clock slaving either, I guess we'll have to use other DAWs for that purpose.
    Maybe one day Intua will stand by their word and add Midi Sync to BM3 like promised.
    In the meantime I'm using Modstep, Gadget, iSpark, Egoist and DM2.

• Thank for your reply