Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

May 2018 Sound Design Fest - Layr

So the synth for the month is Layr, this is the thread for discussion, swapping tips and collecting all the patches together. I will probably wait until the end to collate all the various patches that people submit. Happy sound designing.

Comments

• Step 1 for me will be to read the damn manual...

• Step 2 is read the manual again.

• Step 1 would be to buy LayR here....

• Step 3, hope they put some tutorial vids online so I don’t have to bother reading the manual

• edited May 2018

Just had this post pointed out to me Very cool! :)
    I will mention a couple of things I think might be helpful ...

1- Yes. Please DO read the manual! It took a lot of effort to write, but I also welcome, polite, positive criticism as it can always be updated!

2- Stealing layers from other presets to make new ones is PERFECTLY OK! In fact it's the way it's designed to be :)
    It's also much easier to copy layers to other instruments now you use can drag and drop to move layer strips in v1.2.

3- When attempting to reverse engineer a complex Performance preset, the solo (speaker) button in the Instrument and Layer strips is your best friend. You'll often find that some layers do very little, but all those little bits contribute to the final sound. Sometimes you'll find that some layers appear to make no noise at all, in those cases it's often due to a long onset delay in the envelope, so holding notes down for long periods will reveal it eventually.

4- Don't expect to become Brice overnight! That dude is a wizard! But he's put in over 1000 hours already to become that wizard!

5- Just go for it, you can't break it! ( or can you ? )

6- If you like what you've created and if you want to send any presets to me, LayR has special factory banks for Instruments and Performances created by users, I can always issue an update with some more added.

Finally I wish I had more time to make more tutorial videos, I certainly intended to do so but I totally underestimated the the sheer amount of effort that's needed to make good videos. I still plan to make some but it won't be very soon as I currently have a lot of other work on my plate, including the next major LayR update and Living Memory's next app!

/Andy

• @LivingMemorySoftware thanks for popping in! One quick suggestion, you might want to offer a small number of promo codes to people who are thinking of creating presets (on a first-come first served basis I guess). For example having the mighty @Cib (AKA Cinebient) create some presets for Layr would be pretty epic. I believe @Jocphone would also be pretty happy with a code. Just a thought...

• @richardyot said:
    @Jocphone would also be pretty happy with a code. Just a thought...

+1, I’d love to hear what that mad old bugger comes up with.

• Wow can’t wait to contribute this is one awesome synth!

• Oh for a randomizer! :wink:

• I just bought LayR last night. Kept me up until 2am. Yep, time to read the manual.

• @gusgranite said:
    Oh for a randomizer! :wink:

+1

• edited May 2018

Also Step 1, buy Layr one day...

• @LivingMemorySoftware said:

/Andy

You are awesome for posting this!

• Every sound I’ve designed in LayR has been incredibly underwhelming, and it’s all my fault because this synth is an absolute monster. This will give me the push I need to dig in for real. I will settle for 1/3 of Brice’s Wizardry, but not a touch less.

• The brice and RSL presets are absolutely incredible for this machine. Jaw dropping, priceless :)
    So excited for this sound fest. Maybe I will dig into it deeper too and try by best to contribute something. As @dcj stated, this is really a MONSTER of a synth.

• @MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:
    @Jocphone would also be pretty happy with a code. Just a thought...

+1, I’d love to hear what that mad old bugger comes up with.

Oi!, less of the.. ah, ok, fair enough. Carry on..

• Purchased a few days ago because it was in the running for Design Fest May 18. Happy I did. It’s like iM1 was possessed by z3ta+ which was then eaten by a mixing console. I think I’m going to end up making a lot of music with this synth.

@DCJ, I don’t think you should settle for less than 3/7ths! ;)

• edited May 2018

OMG!!! Just finally clicked for me, the Appending feature!

First clicked on the “Goliath” Preset then Tapped the Append option above the keyboard, then Selected the “First Love” Preset and Jaw hit floor! :o <3

LayR is absolutely awesome!!!!!

What was more interesting though is this: when I only selected the Goliath preset, cpu was at 31-40% but when I appended the First Love Preset, Cpu remained the same!!!! Why didn’t the CPU double??

Truly awesome!!!!

@LivingMemorySoftware said:

1- Yes. Please DO read the manual! It took a lot of effort to write, but I also welcome, polite, positive criticism as it can always be updated!

2- Stealing layers from other presets to make new ones is PERFECTLY OK! In fact it's the way it's designed to be :)
    It's also much easier to copy layers to other instruments now you use can drag and drop to move layer strips in v1.2.

3- When attempting to reverse engineer a complex Performance preset, the solo (speaker) button in the Instrument and Layer strips is your best friend. You'll often find that some layers do very little, but all those little bits contribute to the final sound. Sometimes you'll find that some layers appear to make no noise at all, in those cases it's often due to a long onset delay in the envelope, so holding notes down for long periods will reveal it eventually.

4- Don't expect to become Brice overnight! That dude is a wizard! But he's put in over 1000 hours already to become that wizard!

5- Just go for it, you can't break it! ( or can you ? )

6- If you like what you've created and if you want to send any presets to me, LayR has special factory banks for Instruments and Performances created by users, I can always issue an update with some more added.

Finally I wish I had more time to make more tutorial videos, I certainly intended to do so but I totally underestimated the the sheer amount of effort that's needed to make good videos. I still plan to make some but it won't be very soon as I currently have a lot of other work on my plate, including the next major LayR update and Living Memory's next app!

/Andy

• edited May 2018

Is there a setting so that LayR will play through Bluetooth headphones/speakers?

I tried hosting in AUM since it supports Bluetooth output but LayR still doesn’t play out, like all my other synth apps do.

Maybe there’s a LayR setting I missed? Skimmed the manual and didn’t see anything about it.

ps. I like the new logo design :)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:

OMG!!! Just finally clicked for me, the Appending feature!

First clicked on the “Goliath” Preset then Tapped the Append option above the keyboard, then Selected the “First Love” Preset and Jaw hit floor! :o <3

LayR is absolutely awesome!!!!!

What was more interesting though is this: when I only selected the Goliath preset, cpu was at 31-40% but when I appended the First Love Preset, Cpu remained the same!!!! Why didn’t the CPU double??

Truly awesome!!!!

:)

LayR's CPU usage is constant, all the way from 1 to max (128 or 256) voices, albeit with minor fluctuations +/-10% caused by the system and other apps running at the same time. LayR's synth engine works nearly all of it's DSP magic in parallel, it doesn't work in a serial manner like most synths. This is one of the reasons why, if you want multiple audio channels, it makes more sense to use the multi-outputs in the IAA version than it does to run multiple instances of the AU.

If you run 2 instances of the AU or run the app while also running an AU instance, that will double the CPU usage!

• Man this is great info! So every layer in a preset can be grouped to individual outs? Please forgive my ignorance.

• edited May 2018

Correction. LayR DOES indeed work through Bluetooth headphones/speakers, when hosted in AUM (but not in standalone mode)

User error. There was a podcast on pause in the background that had commandeered control of Bluetooth output. Quit out of podcast and works fine now.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Man this is great info! So every layer in a preset can be grouped to individual outs? Please forgive my ignorance.

Yes - Layers are combined to make Instruments. Each instrument can be assigned to a different output and have a different controlling Midi channel. A Performance is made up of one or more Instruments.

In your DAW using IAA you can route the output from each Istrument to an individual channel. If you do this LayRs built in FX are by[assed.

• This is huge! Man a short video of this would rock as I’m more visual but will definitely try it.

********> @ageezz said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Man this is great info! So every layer in a preset can be grouped to individual outs? Please forgive my ignorance.

Yes - Layers are combined to make Instruments. Each instrument can be assigned to a different output and have a different controlling Midi channel. A Performance is made up of one or more Instruments.

In your DAW using IAA you can route the output from each Istrument to an individual channel. If you do this LayRs built in FX are by[assed.

• edited May 2018

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    This is huge! Man a short video of this would rock as I’m more visual but will definitely try it.

********> @ageezz said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Hey MM4C, you're right, LayR in this setup is in fact huge. Here's a quick route for you…

Download this AUM session already setup with all 8 of LayR's available channels routed

Once that's loaded, tap on any one of the LayR channel icons—they all go to the same place. Inside LayR, load a performance—it will be silent because the outputs aren’t routed yet.

On the instrument channel strips you'll see just above the MIDI channel selector icon a
    "[MAIN—>]" button. Tap on that. This is where you choose which AUM channel you want to send that instrument to.

Note, you can send multiple instruments to a single channel in AUM as seen in the above routing.

Once you've got your routing setup in LayR then head back over to AUM and prepare to be up all night trying out all of your different FX apps in different combinations across all instruments in a single LayR performance preset.

Let me know if any of that needs further explanation. Have fun!

• Please @Brice Don't Hurt'em!

• Mind blown!!!! :o :# <3 <3 <3 <3 o:)

Love it!!!!

@brice said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    This is huge! Man a short video of this would rock as I’m more visual but will definitely try it.

********> @ageezz said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Hey MM4C, you're right, LayR in this setup is in fact huge. Here's a quick route for you…

Download this AUM session already setup with all 8 of LayR's available channels routed

Once that's loaded, tap on any one of the LayR channel icons—they all go to the same place. Inside LayR, load a performance—it will be silent because the outputs aren’t routed yet.

On the instrument channel strips you'll see just above the MIDI channel selector icon a
    "[MAIN—>]" button. Tap on that. This is where you choose which AUM channel you want to send that instrument to.

Note, you can send multiple instruments to a single channel in AUM as seen in the above routing.

Once you've got your routing setup in LayR then head back over to AUM and prepare to be up all night trying out all of your different FX apps in different combinations across all instruments in a single LayR performance preset.

@brice said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

********> @ageezz said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

• @skiphunt said:
    Please @Brice Don't Hurt'em!

• @brice said:

@skiphunt said:

Dude’s boombox looks fat...
    Like a balloon. :D

• @CracklePot said:

@brice said:

@skiphunt said:

Dude’s boombox looks fat...
    Like a balloon. :D

Necessary to prevent any chances he might hurt ‘em.