Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grand Finale - by Klevgrand

Comments

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@sundhage said:

@wim said:
    Everything working great here. I have no useful input on the functionality as compression and mastering are an inscrutable mystery to me even after all these years. All I can say is it’s easy to dial in what sounds good to me. B)

But, why, oh why, purposefully make the meters so hard to read? Why the low contrast and tiny text?? It doesn’t look cooler that way, and it causes me to have to turn up the brightness just for this app.

I would love to have IAA / Audiobus input so that I could slap this right in the master channel of my daw rather than having to go through repeated exports / imports / exports. It makes things take many times as long.

IAA / AUv3 / Audiobus isn't supported just because GF consumes too much CPU at the moment.

Even on a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9”? I’d understand if AU wasn’t supported yet (multiple instances would kill the CPU most like), but at least IAA/AB with state saving could be. Could even put that extended functionality as an IAP if you really wanted and get a bit extra for that extra development. ;) Meh, just spitballing ideas. Cheers mate, and excellent work!

Thanks. GF itself could be run as AUv3 on any 64bit device, but as soon one will add a few synths, a couple of effects and multiple audio tracks, the CPU will hit the ceiling rather quickly which probably would lead to quite a few unsatisfied customers which we don't want. That's why we decided not to add AUv3 support in this version.

• @sundhage said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@sundhage said:

@wim said:
    Everything working great here. I have no useful input on the functionality as compression and mastering are an inscrutable mystery to me even after all these years. All I can say is it’s easy to dial in what sounds good to me. B)

But, why, oh why, purposefully make the meters so hard to read? Why the low contrast and tiny text?? It doesn’t look cooler that way, and it causes me to have to turn up the brightness just for this app.

I would love to have IAA / Audiobus input so that I could slap this right in the master channel of my daw rather than having to go through repeated exports / imports / exports. It makes things take many times as long.

IAA / AUv3 / Audiobus isn't supported just because GF consumes too much CPU at the moment.

Even on a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9”? I’d understand if AU wasn’t supported yet (multiple instances would kill the CPU most like), but at least IAA/AB with state saving could be. Could even put that extended functionality as an IAP if you really wanted and get a bit extra for that extra development. ;) Meh, just spitballing ideas. Cheers mate, and excellent work!

Thanks. GF itself could be run as AUv3 on any 64bit device, but as soon one will add a few synths, a couple of effects and multiple audio tracks, the CPU will hit the ceiling rather quickly which probably would lead to quite a few unsatisfied customers which we don't want. That's why we decided not to add AUv3 support in this version.

Ahh, now it makes sense. :) Cheers mate.

• Although I respect a developers decision to make the app as they wish, it would be so awesome to give the user the option. Just because Zeeon can do only two or three instances, I’m glad the dev decided to go AU. It would be so awesome to apply this effects to certainty tracks, even if it’s mot to the entire mix. Just having the option is what would put it over the top for me IMHO. <3

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Although I respect a developers decision to make the app as they wish, it would be so awesome to give the user the option. Just because Zeeon can do only two or three instances, I’m glad the dev decided to go AU. It would be so awesome to apply this effects to certainty tracks, even if it’s mot to the entire mix. Just having the option is what would put it over the top for me IMHO. <3

First impressions and ratings are extremely important for a new app, so I understand why they made the decision to play it "safe" and have a good stable product. Even though AU would be possible, a lot of users with older devices would potentially have a bad experience and that would lead to bad reviews and bad stories about the app.

Much better to have a good stable product that people love, and then add new features (with possible caveats) once the product is established as living up to their good reputation.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I still wish it was AU to process individual tracks realtime like the Fabfilter apps do in Auria pro.

>

Good example. Fab Filters do marvellous things as plug-ins, achieving arguably the best quality available on IOS. So it can be done.

I’d get more interested in this app, for use outside if Auria Pro, if it was AU3, and the business about meter and level display has been addressed.

• Agreed. o:)

@Peter321 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Although I respect a developers decision to make the app as they wish, it would be so awesome to give the user the option. Just because Zeeon can do only two or three instances, I’m glad the dev decided to go AU. It would be so awesome to apply this effects to certainty tracks, even if it’s mot to the entire mix. Just having the option is what would put it over the top for me IMHO. <3

First impressions and ratings are extremely important for a new app, so I understand why they made the decision to play it "safe" and have a good stable product. Even though AU would be possible, a lot of users with older devices would potentially have a bad experience and that would lead to bad reviews and bad stories about the app.

Much better to have a good stable product that people love, and then add new features (with possible caveats) once the product is established as living up to their good reputation.

• Just bought it.

Opened a random audio file from AudioShare and ...

It crashes.

And not only that, it has the bad habit to no start fresh and let me open something - it seems it tries to reopen whatever i had open the last time.

And yes, thats a crash loop.

Going to try to uninstall and reinstall

Bad, realy bad

• @tja said:
    Just bought it.

It crashes.

And not only that, it has the bad habit to no start fresh and let me open something - it seems it tries to reopen whatever i had open the last time.

Bad, realy bad

Yeah I still have some issues with it from time to time. Typically it works if I start in Audioshare, choose a file to “open in” Grand Finale

• wimwim
    edited March 2018

@db909 said:

@tja said:
    Just bought it.

It crashes.

Bad, realy bad

Yeah I still have some issues with it from time to time. Typically it works if I start in Audioshare, choose a file to “open in” Grand Finale

This is the way I've used it, and have not had a single crash ever. And what magic it's been for my final mixes! A dream come true for me, who usually does more harm than good trying to master tracks.

• Can anyone advise me how best to achieve a given LUFS level in Grand Finale? I've noticed in Pro-L2 posting that it seems to have a target setting. I don't think Grand Finale has that, does it? Is it just a process of eye-balling the meter? If so, should the meter never cross the threshold? Only seem to cross it a little? Sort of average around it? I'm kinda lost on this LUFS stuff in general. I get what it is, but not so much how to achieve a given level.

• If you have Pro L2, why use Gran Finale?

• @wim said:
    Can anyone advise me how best to achieve a given LUFS level in Grand Finale? I've noticed in Pro-L2 posting that it seems to have a target setting. I don't think Grand Finale has that, does it? Is it just a process of eye-balling the meter? If so, should the meter never cross the threshold? Only seem to cross it a little? Sort of average around it? I'm kinda lost on this LUFS stuff in general. I get what it is, but not so much how to achieve a given level.

Target for it in the loudest parts of the song, and it can go over a little.

• @richardyot said:

@wim said:
    Can anyone advise me how best to achieve a given LUFS level in Grand Finale? I've noticed in Pro-L2 posting that it seems to have a target setting. I don't think Grand Finale has that, does it? Is it just a process of eye-balling the meter? If so, should the meter never cross the threshold? Only seem to cross it a little? Sort of average around it? I'm kinda lost on this LUFS stuff in general. I get what it is, but not so much how to achieve a given level.

Target for it in the loudest parts of the song, and it can go over a little.

Thanks.

• @theconnactic said:
    If you have Pro L2, why use Gran Finale?

Grand Finale is universal and a bit easier to use for the average user. I have both. :)

• wimwim
    edited March 2018

@theconnactic said:
    If you have Pro L2, why use Gran Finale?

I don't have Pro-L2, and don't intend to purchase it as long as it can only be used in Auria Pro. Nothin' I've done so far or am likely to do is worthy of that kind of expense.

• tjatja
    edited March 2018

I reinstalled Grand Finale, opened another audio file from AudioShare ... and it crashed again.

Going to contact the developer, @sundhage

• Since getting Grand Finale I've made a practice of setting up my Best Effort mastering chains with other (i.e.: non-Grand Finale) EQ / Compression / Limiters then A/B with Grand Finale. Guess who's won Every time so far? (Grand Finale).

It took a bit to really hone in on the final-stage settings within GF but now that I have it's a matter of slight tweaks and as said it's beaten all competition. Klevgrand have created a gem with this one and I'm sure the kinks will get ironed out. Really can't say enough great things about it.

• @Proppa said:
    Since getting Grand Finale I've made a practice of setting up my Best Effort mastering chains with other (i.e.: non-Grand Finale) EQ / Compression / Limiters then A/B with Grand Finale. Guess who's won Every time so far? (Grand Finale).

Same.

• Exporting is definitely a problem. People need to know which options work and which don’t. It worked for me before, out of luck. But I tried again with Files and airdrop and got nothing. You have to import from audioshare as far as I can tell.
    Pretty annoying.

btw DAW cassette is fucking up a lot in GarageBand too. :(

• wimwim
    edited April 2018

@SealTeamSick said:
    Exporting is definitely a problem. People need to know which options work and which don’t. It worked for me before, out of luck. But I tried again with Files and airdrop and got nothing. You have to import from audioshare as far as I can tell.
    Pretty annoying.

I’ve used it a lot and never had a single issue with export or import. I do an “open in” from the app I’m exporting from (Cubasis, BM3, Auria, GrooveRider) then “document picker” to export from Grand Finale to the files app. Works every time after scores of attempts.

It’s also a very good idea to close other apps, such as Cubasis when running Grand Finale.

• edited April 2018

No issue for import export here on iPhone 7 Plus.

A quick question: is it possible to loop the audio file while mastering in Grand Finale? I can’t find any option for that.

I’m not totally convinced by GF sound. It seems that I can get better results to my taste with Ddmf 6144, NYC compressor and NoLimit or even Maxima. GF sound a little bit thin to my ears. But I have to use it more to make a definitive opinion.

• @Janosax said:

A quick question: is it possible to loop the audio file while mastering in Grand Finale? I can’t find any option for that.

I’m not totally convinced by GF sound. It seems that I can get better results to my taste with Ddmf 6144, NYC compressor and NoLimit or even Maxima. GF sound a little bit thin to my ears. But I have to use it more to make a definitive opinion.

You can’t loop it, but if you tap anywhere on the waveform it will jump right there. The sound I’m getting and the time I’m saving not having to mess with compressor ratios and all those settings is way worth it for me

• If you’re good at mastering already and know how to dial in the sound you like, then it probably doesn’t add a lot. But if you’re like me and usually only do more harm than good, it’s a huge help.

• Grand Finale has given me some of the best mastering results of anything to date. It takes a bit to get to know how all the settings interact but once you get that down Grand Finale is a monster.

• @Proppa said:
    Grand Finale has given me some of the best mastering results of anything to date. It takes a bit to get to know how all the settings interact but once you get that down Grand Finale is a monster.

Those that use Fabfilter seem that laugh about GF, was my impression.
    Without a real AB/X test, much of this may be believe, hope and expectation.

• @Janosax said:

+1
    I get better results with DDMF apps too. The No Limits Limiter is quite a tough Plugin, especially when I use it on the master for kicks. ;)

• To be honest I love the app, wish it had more visual feedback though.

• @tja said:

@Proppa said:
    Grand Finale has given me some of the best mastering results of anything to date. It takes a bit to get to know how all the settings interact but once you get that down Grand Finale is a monster.

Those that use Fabfilter seem that laugh about GF, was my impression.
    Without a real AB/X test, much of this may be believe, hope and expectation.

I have both: I could easily post a song of mine mastered using FF and then with GF for you to see the (huge) difference. The problem with Gran Finale (and, from best to worse, Maxima, Final Touch, Audio Mastering, Waves L1 - which are the other mastering tools I have on iOS with another one I’ll mention) compared to the FabFilters is transparency: that means that if I use, say, Gran Finale for slight limiting, it will sound gorgeous, but as soon as I push it really hard, it starts to degrade the sound quite a lot, and even to give non-musical artifacts at some point.

If you want to mix across a range of genres using Cubasis without mastering in Auria or on a Mac/PC, there’s only one real alternative to Auria/FabFilter on iOS: Lurssen Mastering Console (IK Multimedia). Guess how much does it cost? Really, it’s easier giving in, getting Auria and being safe and happy.

• P.S.: must be said that FabFilter Pro L2 is, as of now, the current gold standard for software limiting across all platforms. Acording most reviews you can find, not even Izotope’s Ozone and Neutron sound as good. The fact we can get it for under $40 (Ozone costs over $200) is an enormous, almost unbelievable generosity from FabFilter. Hope they don’t give us up, ever - I’ve been bouncing stems from Logic and Protools so I could mix in Auria thanks to FabFilter.

• If your mastering to the current standard -14 LUFS you don’t have to push the limiting. It hardly needs any. Fabilter has much better metering than GF though.