Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 2 is launching on Thursday, April 3rd 2014

Comments

• How did that font change? sorry bout that.

• 24 bit would be cool. Im not a dev, but implementing the option I think wouldn't be so difficult. Something like a 16bit-24bit switch or something?

• Just to make it clear to all the non-devs out there, virtually all apps use 32bit floating point internally for all audio processing (which is effectively 24 bits of precision). Yes, samples or other sounds sources may start as 16bit, and exported files as well, but everything in between is done with more bits. Some apps like Auria even have a 64bit mode (which I'm guessing is double precision floating point).

It was my impression that Michael chose to stick with 16bit audio buffers between apps in AB mostly due to buffer size memory efficiency for the interprocess communication, but also for network efficiency for what he planned to do with connections over the network. I may be wrong about his past intentions.

I do believe that they should change it to 32bit float as the native sample format, for all the many reasons you folks mentioned above.

• One of the complications here for AudioBus would be figuring out the capabilities of the connected devices - what if you start up a scene with some 48/24 things then add a 44.1/16? Does AB provide uprating and uprezzing? do they turn everybody down rez? Do they reject the non-capable addition? How do they find out? How do they negotiate? Not a trivial task. Maybe there's stuff in CoreAudio I don't know about (very likely:) to help with this, assuming everybody implemented it, or AB2 SDK extension API to enable uprezzed operation?

• TO extend @sonosaurus: for between-app buffering 16 bits is perfectly OK. At that stage in the processing we'd get more pro oomph with 48K as an option, and that is a much less resource expensive extension than doubling the buffer sizes to accommodate >16 bits. In the finals, exporting f32 to s24 is trivial, exporting 44.1K to 48K not so trivial to do with professional quality.

• @Stewart What, exactly, is the 24bit/96k Audiobus use case for location recording? You're not tracking via Audiobus are you?

• edited February 2014

@Audiojunkie said:

I'd rather avoid any of the confrontation and contention myself, but for the sake of things, I could have sworn that @Sebastian had said something about supporting 24bit in Audiobus. If @Sebastian could just speak up about this, the contention could just die down..... :-)

And so I have been summoned...

@sonosaurus said:

Just to make it clear to all the non-devs out there, virtually all apps use 32bit floating point internally for all audio processing (which is effectively 24 bits of precision). Yes, samples or other sounds sources may start as 16bit, and exported files as well, but everything in between is done with more bits. Some apps like Auria even have a 64bit mode (which I'm guessing is double precision floating point).

It was my impression that Michael chose to stick with 16bit audio buffers between apps in AB mostly due to buffer size memory efficiency for the interprocess communication, but also for network efficiency for what he planned to do with connections over the network. I may be wrong about his past intentions.

I do believe that they should change it to 32bit float as the native sample format, for all the many reasons you folks mentioned above.

You're absolutely right with everything.
    It's just the question when we're going to do this, not IF.

Now please, if everybody would just calm down a little and treat each other as the adult audiophiles that you are... oh sorry, you're already doing that ;)

• It is refreshing to see there are indeed many people with the common sense and wisdom to want more. Sadly, common sense is not so common.

Syrupcore:
    No to audiobus tracking at 96/24 ( yes I wish it had this capability). Please see my last email for use details.

As I see it, It's really not a question of if but when Audiobus gets this audio industry standard capability. A mere 2 years ago doing most anything audio or graphic related on an ipad was a complete novelty or joke. In this short time the capabilities of both the hardware and software have made leaps and bounds ahead ( thanks in part a great deal to the Audiobus guys). We will have this choice in no time. Other audio apps and interfaces are already implementing these choices so all that is being waited on currently to complete the chain for myself is a high quality copy and paste function and an Audio app like Audiobus or Jack or someone else to take this BIT / MHz leap to route through. It's basically there right now with IAA, its up to the app developers to take the next step. It is that simple.

Cheers,
    Stewart

• Sebastian,

Your entry slipped in as I was typing my last reply. I am very glad to see the implementation of " when" rather than " if." I had assumed this was the case and wrote accordingly in my response of two minutes prior. This is great news for the future indeed.

Cheers and ASAP please!
    Stewart

• Wanting what doesn't exist when you have no ability to make it happen. Very wise. Lol.
    Some of us have the sense to wait patiently for the real experts to decide when the platform is ready before they release this particular enhancement.

• @PaulB, @Stewart: Guys... please discuss this directly with each other. This is not the place for this sort of conversation.

• I'm done. Blame my LTFA.

• Dammit... And I just got some popcorn ready... ;)

• Popcorn time,

Is that PaulBs little bark I hear in the distance?

How's the not managing to effect anything stance going? I solicited the exact response I was after and I'm sure many that read the words from Sebastian will be very happy also. You are right about one thing at least, no it is not of my own doing that this better quality will happen but I for one at least spoke up, You on the other hand will reap the same reward, and you are welcome.

• edited February 2014

For all your reaping rewards needs, I highly recommend this instead of Audiobus.

• @Sebastian said:

For all your reaping rewards needs, I highly recommend this instead of Audiobus.

Appropriate and very funny indeed!

• When, not if, but not yet.

• I hope it's GMO-free farming!

• BREED YOUR CATTLE!!! Just what I was expecting on this thread, naturally. :-) Burgers for everyone!

• The in breeding must stop! Now back to the cow tipping.

• Is this the Audiotractor forum? :)

• How will version 2 affect the price? Will it remain the same? Go up? Will there be a sale?

Plus... any word on release yet? :)

(sent from early 2014)

• Oh yeah, it is February :P
    Come on! I want to do some cool noise plugging wow into swoopster into AUFX series and beyond :D

• I be pretty sure my head is gonna explode waitin for AB2. I am so stoked to get my hands on this awesomeness. Quick. Somebody just email it to me now so my life can continue.

• @Sebastian and @Michael - just for the sake of clarity, I assume that once AB2 is rolled out the 1st gen AB t-shirts are also eligible for upgrade to AB2 tees. In my case, I gained a little weight, so I'm hoping that a larger size is available as an IAP.

• @funjunkie27
    Hah, we're going to update the shirts, of course :D

Btw we're very close to finalising the 2.0 version of the SDK and taking into account all the good comments from people on youtube/the forum.

• Well, the reason I gained the weight was so all the routing would show up on the new tee ;-)

• SDK = Shirt Development Kit, in case you're wondering...

• Sooooooooo, any updates on Time frame? Patiently....ish waiting for this release. Super excited.