Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tardigrain - question and tip

I finally got around to playing with Tardigrain last night and am having a blast with it. What an amazing app! I have one tip and one question;

Tip: Check out Legowelt's free Minimoog Sample pack: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/03/30/free-legowelt-minimoog-sample-library-features-uncorrupted-walnut-wooden-sensuality/ A lot of these sound fantastic in Tardigrain!

Question: Has anyone used a Roli Block or Rise (or Lightpad M) with Tardigrain? Does Tardigrain respond to the MPE from the Roli's the same way it responds to the iPad keyboard (i.e., the X/Y modulation on each key)? I decided to not get a Block because I didn't think I'd use the MPE functionality much, but Tardigrain seems like the killer app for MPE (and special thanks to Jakob Haq for the awesome tutorial!! - )

Comments

• Hey @Kiki_90291, there is no MPE support but I am thinking about picking up a seaboard block and implementing it. I kind of know how it works just need a bit of time I guess. :)

Cheers for the tip.

ERik

• @humbletune Could you please explain the elusive “set loop point” in tardigrain?

• I just came here to share my excitement about this AMAZING, FREAKING, BRILLIANT, CLEVER, GENIUS, OUSTANDING and FUTURISTIC sounding app called “Tardigrain”.

Bye :smiley:

• @humbletune - that's awesome! I hope you can get it going - I think that would be an great addition. Truly an amazing app!

• Love this app so much

• @humbletune said:
    Hey @Kiki_90291, there is no MPE support but I am thinking about picking up a seaboard block and implementing it. I kind of know how it works just need a bit of time I guess. :)

Cheers for the tip.

ERik

I just saw this thread and decided to buy the app. It’s so good, I can’t believe more people aren’t talking about this.
    Yes Mpe support would be over the top amazing. please do!
    Also, another idea would be ability to and send a midi cc signal out of the app to another app to control the other app via the key’s vertical slider in Tadigan
    thanks again for making this app

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @humbletune said:
    Hey @Kiki_90291, there is no MPE support but I am thinking about picking up a seaboard block and implementing it. I kind of know how it works just need a bit of time I guess. :)

Cheers for the tip.

ERik

Yes yes yes please please please...my newly purchased Seaboard Block needs some Tardigrain musings to reflect upon :)

• edited April 2018

I swear to god. People who do not create a folder when they zip files are detestable. Now ive gotta click 200+times just to delete this junk.

Edit: not saying the files you posted are junk, theyre very usable. But they gotta go due to the violation of internet etiquette.

• Fave app

• @humbletune said:

Cheers for the tip.

ERik

Thumbjam and Geoshred are both MPE controllers; much less expensive than a Roli. Please do consider implementing MPE.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I swear to god. People who do not create a folder when they zip files are detestable. Now ive gotta click 200+times just to delete this junk.

Yup, happened to me too. That was the most painful minute I experienced all minute.

• edited April 2018

#metoo; had to tap 200 times on small circles in Audioshare edit. Was mildly surprised/disappointed that AS did not have drag to quickly multi-select.

• @bleep said:
    metoo; had to tap 200 times on small circles in Audioshare edit. Was mildly surprised/disappointed that AS did not have drag to quickly multi-select.

(Hug)

• @oat_phipps said:

Edit: not saying the files you posted are junk, theyre very usable. But they gotta go due to the violation of internet etiquette.

The Legowelt files? It was in a folder when I downloaded to my PC. Does Audioshare handle zip files differently?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:
    @humbletune I maybe should have emphasised that my issue with the lack of preset sharing isn't down to being too lazy to import sample between Au and standalone and try to replicate settings, that's pretty tedious but something I've done for some patches. It's actually mostly because I use my phone as a field recorder for found sounds and lofi instruments recording and then I use it for portable sound design in Tardigrain etc. It's Nigh impossible to transfer a Tardigrain patch from phone to ipad. Soooo many steps. I found the equation just ate too much time to be something I can validate in my day to day. Really hope its possible to share patches between devices soon and also between Au and standalone. Would probably make this my most used synth...

+1

• @oat_phipps re: Legowelt zip - Open in AudioShare, but click do not unzip, then create a new folder in AudioShare, move the zip into that then unzip....
    I feel your pain, as I have done it so many times, so now it is second nature for me to do it this way!
    I have spent hours recording stuff and loading samples into Tardigrain, just getting lost amongst the Granular landscapes... love it!
    big respect @humbletune
    :)

• @id_23 said:
    @oat_phipps re: Legowelt zip - Open in AudioShare, but click do not unzip, then create a new folder in AudioShare, move the zip into that then unzip....
    I feel your pain, as I have done it so many times, so now it is second nature for me to do it this way!
    I have spent hours recording stuff and loading samples into Tardigrain, just getting lost amongst the Granular landscapes... love it!
    big respect @humbletune
    :)

Haha I know that, but it’s too late now! I usually do it as a failsafe but I figured a sample pack like this with a ton of files would already be foldered out of user respect. In the end, it’s only a small deal, but it IS irksome.

• rudrud
    edited July 2020

Hello all, this is my first post and I’d really appreciate some help... I am really enjoying Tardigrain but can anyone advise me as to how to avoid the ‘click’ at the start of a note? I have a moody melody I’m trying to record in Cubasis but the clicking is similar to having a steering wheel in my underpants. Thanks. @humbletune

• @rud said:
    Hello all, this is my first post and I’d really appreciate some help... I am really enjoying Tardigrain but can anyone advise me as to how to avoid the ‘click’ at the start of a note? I have a moody melody I’m trying to record in Cubasis but the clicking is similar to having a steering wheel in my underpants. Thanks. @humbletune

Not quite sure what you mean. The artefacts are intentional. Increasing the grain size will soften them, if that makes sense. Perhaps you could also increase attack a little bit?

• Welcome to the forum, @rud!

• @Philandering_Bastard thanks for the reply. The attack is set to zero and the grain size is quite short. I’m using an ethnic voice sample to create a bass line. The click only occurs when I retrigger a note before the last note has finished. For example, if I play the same note twice, say a D followed by another D in the same octave then the 2nd note has a click at the beginning. I’ve resorted to using 2 tracks in cubasis and having the first D note one track and the following D note on the other track so that they don’t ‘see’ each other. I should just move on and use another app but I want to love and use tardigrain... Maybe I should use it for what it was made for rather than trying to turn it into a bass. Cheers.

• @rud said:
    @Philandering_Bastard thanks for the reply. The attack is set to zero and the grain size is quite short. I’m using an ethnic voice sample to create a bass line. The click only occurs when I retrigger a note before the last note has finished. For example, if I play the same note twice, say a D followed by another D in the same octave then the 2nd note has a click at the beginning. I’ve resorted to using 2 tracks in cubasis and having the first D note one track and the following D note on the other track so that they don’t ‘see’ each other. I should just move on and use another app but I want to love and use tardigrain... Maybe I should use it for what it was made for rather than trying to turn it into a bass. Cheers.

Have you tried using the keyboard to modulate the attack, I.e. sharp attack low on the key, softer the higher you touch? This way you could have repeating notes but minimize the clicks. See this screenshot:

If you haven’t already I’d also recommend the great tutorial by @MarkH , it has helped me no end:

• Thanks @SNystrom, I switched to iOS recording at Christmas and have become thoroughly addicted to it. I’ve been learning from this forum but was reluctant to post as I’ve never been on a forum before. It’s good to be here 👍

• @Philandering_Bastard thanks for the tip, I will try it and will watch the vid tomorrow whilst on the exercise bike... getting fit can be educational if you make it so...

• @Philandering_Bastard well, I changed the attack from 0.00 to 0.01 and it did the trick. No more click. Thank you. Happy.

• @rud said:
    @Philandering_Bastard well, I changed the attack from 0.00 to 0.01 and it did the trick. No more click. Thank you. Happy.

👍😊