Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wanted: Testers!

Wanted: Testers!

I've been working on a new version of Audiobus which includes support for AUX MIDI out, fullscreen AUX view configurations, multichannel audio out including Multiroute Audio, automatic app recovery (replacing the annoying "Tap to Fix" in most cases, I hope!) and a revised UI design, among a few other small bits and pieces. It also should now work on iOS 9, for those with older devices.

I need as many testers as possible to help put it through its paces, as there are some big changes under the hood. Can you help me out? Sign up at https://audiob.us/testing - and thanks! I'll be pushing out the first beta over the next week or so.

Cheers!
Michael

Comments

• Sounds like some great updates signed up and looking forward to test.

• Sure! Signed up.

• Aux midi out ? I'm all ears B)

• Count me in.

• Will existing testers be automatically included ?

• They will indeed, @AndyPlankton - unless they've already emailed me to opt out, that is.

• @Michael said:
    They will indeed, @AndyPlankton - unless they've already emailed me to opt out, that is.

cool - I'm already included then....

• Great news, am already a tester so looking forward to trying these new features :)

• I'm very interested in all the in out multiroute stuff.

Would it be possible to still use the current AB3 as well or does it overwrite it?

• @Calverhall said:
    I'm very interested in all the in out multiroute stuff.

Would it be possible to still use the current AB3 as well or does it overwrite it?

It'll replace it - you'd need to delete and reinstall from the app store to go back

• Yeah ok, well, thats a small shame for me, I'd rather not disrupt my workflow ecosystem just now then as everything is just about working well enough that I'm going through a fruitfully productive period.

At the moment I essentially chain AB3 and AUM together for everything, occasionally with Modstep in the mix too but it would be much more ideal to to just use 1 of those.

AB3's big advantages that keeps it essential are things like the side strip and the remote, I really like the MIDI thing too but it's behind now with the AU MIDI AUM offers. Just a few thoughts regarding any new version, sorry if thats off topic.

Very exciting developments Michael!

• sign me up. i’ll help out

• edited April 2018

Is this still under Audiobus 3? I’m already on the AB3 beta team but checking just in case it is an entirely new thing.

Ignore just found the answer up thread.

Looking forward to putting it on my testing machine.

• These updates sound awesome. As a follow up to Calverhall's question, would I be able to continue to use AB2 if I was a tester? Also, will this new version become Audiobus 4 or is a replacement to AB3?

• Ready to test the goods

• @Howard said:
    These updates sound awesome. As a follow up to Calverhall's question, would I be able to continue to use AB2 if I was a tester? Also, will this new version become Audiobus 4 or is a replacement to AB3?

Nope still AB3; I have some early thoughts on AB4 but not working on that yet. Yeah you can still use 2 if you like, but my goal is to have no one want to, because I'm not updating it any more :smile:

• @Michael

Sent you my email mate. :) Gonna put my beta testing skills to use. Cheers.

• Thanks! If you don't mind, pop it into https://audiob.us/testing - much easier for me :)

• @Michael said:

@Howard said:
    These updates sound awesome. As a follow up to Calverhall's question, would I be able to continue to use AB2 if I was a tester? Also, will this new version become Audiobus 4 or is a replacement to AB3?

Nope still AB3; I have some early thoughts on AB4 but not working on that yet. Yeah you can still use 2 if you like, but my goal is to have no one want to, because I'm not updating it any more :smile:

Thanks, Michael. AB2 works really well for me so I didn't update to AB3. I use original Midiflow for all my midi routing and MiMiX for to connect to various ports on my audio device but if all that is handled more efficiently in new-AB3 then I will def do the upgrade. I looked at the midi routing within AB3 but it seemed original Midiflow was better for my purposes. The reason I still use MiMiX is because of its ability to handle multichannel audio outs and the fact that the mixer is assignable with Midi. I guess is that gets handled in AB3 then I'll be getting the upgrade sooner rather than later. :)

Since it wont erase AB2 I think I will try this new version of AB3. Thanks.

• Cool :)

@Howard said:
    I looked at the midi routing within AB3 but it seemed original Midiflow was better for my purposes.

Out of curiosity, what were those purposes, in case we missed some important use cases?

• Any advice for us willing participants that have never beta tested anything before?

• @Michael said:
    Out of curiosity, what were those purposes, in case we missed some important use cases?

I have the inapp purchase Controller Remapping which I use a lot. I didn't see anything like that in AB3 or Midiflow for AB3.

Separate from that I prefer being able to set up the midi routings for my various hardware controllers separate from my audio setup in AB2. I appreciate that AB3 allows me to route my midi from the hardware setup but as I understand it your setups saves all the midi and music apps in one preset. I have created several presets in AB2 for the synth apps and effects I use and use those same presets regardless of which hardware setup since I am able to load my midi presets in Midiflow. In addition, Midiflow allows me to add a preset to an existing preset which means that if I decide to bring an additional controller with me to a gig or a jam I can add that routing without needing to change anything in AB2.

Of course I may have misunderstood AB3 and Midiflow for AB3 so perhaps all of this is already doable in AB3. :smile:

• The banner is super annoying on mobile. Thought I went to the wrong site several times. Just a thought

• @db909 said:
    The banner is super annoying on mobile. Thought I went to the wrong site several times. Just a thought

I kinda like the green touch.

• Oh, you can close it; just tap the x in the corner (unless it's not working right of course!)

• edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Any kind of AU MIDI support will help a lot so, yes, will test. Since Rozeta came out, started focusing on AUM. Sure, it can be used with AB. But my workflows tend to be quite simple and there isn’t much reason for me to use two of these systems together.

(Already signed up, from previous tests. Might make sense to state in the invitation that previous testers are already included unless they opt out.)

• @Michael said:
    Oh, you can close it; just tap the x in the corner (unless it's not working right of course!)

Oh didn’t see it :smiley: it’s all good