Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fiddliest controls

The goal of this thread is not to bash apps with fiddly controls but to suggest tips/tricks that work around problems. Here's mine:

The tempo control in iWavestation is the fiddliest thing I've ever seen in iOS software. After cussing at that bugger one day, I found this workaround: turn on the MIDI sync and fire up any app that allows direct alpha numeric input of tempo. Much better!

Comments

• edited April 2018

@lukesleepwalker said:
    The goal of this thread is not to bash apps with fiddly controls but to suggest tips/tricks that work around problems. Here's mine:

The tempo control in iWavestation is the fiddliest thing I've ever seen in iOS software. After cussing at that bugger one day, I found this workaround: turn on the MIDI sync and fire up any app that allows direct alpha numeric input of tempo. Much better!

Yeah, the one in iMS-20 drove me insane for months......

Great tip....but also as with all Korg apps, drag slowly for more accurate control plus you can also 'flick' up or down to change the value by 0.01 bpm

• I just discovered that the sensitivity of the rotary controls in Fugue Machine depend on the length of the control arc. In other words, if you tap on the octave control and move your finger within the the little graphical arc, you make large jumps and it's incredibly frustrating trying to adjust the controls; however, if you tap and then slide your finger out along the radius from the center of the control, it increases the length of the control arc giving you much finer control over the adjustment. So, not really a work-around, but a nice revelation about the app's functionality.

• Directional EQ is the one that drives me bonkers with it’s stupidly small interface. Not bashing the quality of what it does, but I very rarely use it and cannot understand why the developer can’t be bothered with a proper, more useable iPad friendly control set.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Directional EQ is the one that drives me bonkers with it’s stupidly small interface. Not bashing the quality of what it does, but I very rarely use it and cannot understand why the developer can’t be bothered with a proper, more useable iPad friendly control set.

I agree! I wish all DDMF and SugarBytes apps got a touchscreen makeover.

• I would have to say Finger Fiddle. :)

• I expect most already know this but Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom can be a help.

SugarBytes apps have their own built-in zoom controls, although they could do with a bit of touchscreen optimisation, it’s true. Wish I could be more constructive here. Maybe double taps to zoom in on different sections (in Turnado or Thesys, for instance) or tabbing between sections might offer a more fluid way of working? I don’t have them as VSTs but they look like they’re built for mouse work, rather than manly fingertips. I’ll note that I’ve had no trouble with Wow, and I think it’s an underrated/forgotten app.

Also +1 for the Korg ‘flick’ gesture.

• @CracklePot said:
    I would have to say Finger Fiddle. :)

Ironically, the least fiddly app in the store.

• Bamboo stylus

Fat fingers due to years of martial arts and manual work along with music have left my hands a mess.

Need assistance so I go with Bamboo stylus

• @asnor said:

@CracklePot said:
    I would have to say Finger Fiddle. :)

Ironically, the least fiddly app in the store.

Oh. Tried them all, have you?

• @Zen210507 said:
    Directional EQ is the one that drives me bonkers with it’s stupidly small interface. Not bashing the quality of what it does, but I very rarely use it and cannot understand why the developer can’t be bothered with a proper, more useable iPad friendly control set.

DDMF apps have the fiddliest knobs ( on iphone)

• edited April 2018

@hisdudeness said:
    DDMF apps have the fiddliest knobs ( on iphone)

>

Yes. I don’t get why the developer cannot see how awkward this makes the apps to use. There are so many examples of how to do it properly. There is never an issue like this with the Brambos apps, for example, or the Fab Filters range. Lots going on in both, which is easy to see!

Recent eye problem not withstanding, I normally only need glasses for reading small print in low light. My most recent general eye test came out as 20/20. So the problem definitely isn’t me. :)