Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GrooveBox: Needs and Wants and Fussing

O hai.

Novation Ampify GROOVEBOX app.

Do you use it?

I do.

I love Novation apps.

but. but. but.

This is where things go bad for me sometimes.

I have some "thoughts on the app"

ALLOW MIDI CHANNELS THAT CAN THEREFORE BE NOT TRIGGERED BY OTHER APPS. (baby stuff, cmon guys)

PRESET SAVING AND SHARING (Not allowing people to save presets in order to sell genre based "packs" is getting tiresome)

MIDI section export.

TRUE MIDI LEARN. Don't make me use preselected knobs for things. That isn't how I set my stuff up. Let me do it.

Saving presets and midi channels are not exactly luxuries.

So, I am hoping someone is listening on this one.

Frankly, Novation has the game by the balls in a good way.

Apps. Gear. Hardware. Software.

So, don't blow it Novation.

I love your products and professional approach. So, can we please finally get Groovebox in the league it could be.

That is all.

Comments

• +1 for most of those points. Groovebox sounds brilliant and is a true visual pleasure to use. But IT NEEDS USER PRESETS. I realise that their cash model is preset packs but that's going to go bad for them once there are enough packs to make presets difficult to manage. We'll still buy the packs anyway, because there's great programming in them. Some Ampify person, early on, said user presets were being considered, but it's hard to believe now, after so many factory packs, that that was true. Shame, as it has the capacity to be a truly great app.

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

I initially bought any IAP!
    Now, it is sitting in my ARCHIVE folder ... together with the Auxies and such stuff.

No proper MIDI In and Out and MIDI File Load and Share is the very basic of such an App.

Klimper is what i am trying now :-)
    And would love to see an updated Odesi version.

Anyway, i have an old topic about finding a way straight forward way to create stuff with MIDI in mind and i am going to update this soon with some thoughts.

Groovebox is not part of that.
    It´s dead for me as long as the MIDI stuff does not change.
    And yes, of course user presets are required as well.
    @AmpifyxNovation

Also, there is this very strange thing about the PRO version that does still cost 16 euro or so, even if i bought lots of stuff. It is not a good way to handle things like this!
    The customers expect that the "PRO" version either already contains more than the single components or that it WILL contain more stuff, like for example the next Synth type.
    So, this should be less expensive for those who already bought stuff but still want to jump on that bandwaggon.
    Read "bundle" ...

And then, is there no shop somewhere, as any other app has one?
    Do i realy need to dig in that incredible "news" section to find and buy things?
    Very bad.

• Blocs Wave is among my favourite apps, and it is languishing because Novation/Ampify only want to concentrate on Groovebox. :'(

Don’t get me wrong, Groovebox is great, too. But I don’t use it any more, because I am fed up waiting for midi out.

• edited April 2018

I’ve got all 3 of their apps and, apart from Blocs which gets occasional use playing around with samples (though Egoist is more fun and BM3 far more capable), I don’t get any use out of them. I understand the need to fund development by selling sound/preset packs, but their apps are still very limited in terms of functionality, and it sticks in my throat that the limitations in Groovebox are just there to encourage the sales of packs. The lack of recent progress with all of their apps has also been disappointing for me given the amount I’ve spent across the 3 of them. I thought the funding would drive development and improve functionality. Guess I got that wrong.

• @RUST( i )K said:

but. but. but.
    ALLOW MIDI CHANNELS THAT CAN THEREFORE BE NOT TRIGGERED BY OTHER APPS. (baby stuff, cmon guys)

YUP

MIDI section export.

YUP

TRUE MIDI LEARN. Don't make me use preselected knobs for things. That isn't how I set my stuff up. Let me do it.

YUP

I'll add:

****Playing nice with AudioBus3 MIDI page

**** hosting AudioUnits

**** Allowing a specific key and scale to be selected and used for any "SCENE"

**** Allowing us to "LAUNCH" or prime a root and scale type change ahead-of time so the new key change comes in on the 1st beat of the next bar or ableton-link-quantum wotsit.. in other words allow key changes to become part of live improvised performance via "Launching" in same fashion as ableton clips and scenes are

***** IMPROVED MIDI NOTE EDITOR !!!! no zoom feature exists so its a real drag to editor patterns going over one bar long.

Theres so much i like about GrooveBox - it could be great - a really inspirational useful tool for creativity and live-improv. But as it is it realise is little more than a toy..

• @Zen210507 said:
    Blocs Wave is among my favourite apps, and it is languishing because Novation/Ampify only want to concentrate on Groovebox. :'(

I would love to see Amplify produce a combination of Blocs wave and GrooveBox. Or provide a way where any of the two Novation apps "play nice" together. For example LaunchPad scenes triggered whenever a GB scene is.

Don’t get me wrong, Groovebox is great, too. But I don’t use it any more, because I am fed up waiting for midi out.

Yup MIDI out would be nice as a starter and SOOOO useful.

• I'm just going to look into Groovebox. My expectations are limited because it's free and made to sell sound packs and whatever other bits that go with it. The company has to make money, and that apparently is not easy to do selling iOS music-making apps.

• @lovadamusic said:
    it's free and made to sell sound packs and whatever other bits that go with it. The company has to make money,

Agreed. I've bought plenty of its sound packs and would gladly pay - say £15 just for them to add a "PRO" IAP that added some of the things above - like AUv3 and MIDI out support.

• Haven’t really felt too bummed about the state of Groovebox since that other groovebox, which is actually way more of a groovebox than Groovebox, came out. But perhaps one day there will be knob turn recording style automation to breathe some life into those synths, which are the only thing going for it at this point.

• @nonchai said:

@lovadamusic said:
    it's free and made to sell sound packs and whatever other bits that go with it. The company has to make money,

Agreed. I've bought plenty of its sound packs and would gladly pay - say £15 just for them to add a "PRO" IAP that added some of the things above - like AUv3 and MIDI out support.

Novation seems to take these apps (BW, LP, GB) in certain directions and not others, and I don't expect that to change. It's been too long since users asked for song mode, more MIDI capabilities, better file management, exporting, etc... Sure, we'd pay for these capabilities, but that wouldn't really help their bottom line.

They must know their audience and where the money is coming from or will come from. I think the apps are fun and of limited use for me and other people, so all we can do is enjoy what can be done or not use them. I just watched a few vids about Groovebox, and it looks like a real cool toy---and I don't mean that in any negative way. I think that's what most people who buy iOS apps want.

• @nonchai said:
    **** Allowing a specific key and scale to be selected and used for any "SCENE"

**** Allowing us to "LAUNCH" or prime a root and scale type change ahead-of time so the new key change comes in on the 1st beat of the next bar or ableton-link-quantum wotsit.. in other words allow key changes to become part of live improvised performance via "Launching" in same fashion as ableton clips and scenes are

>
    These ideas would be so amazing for me when I use Groovebox and iPads MIDIed alongside my guitar looper for my solo gigs! Saving a song of scenes with key changes...Or transitioning from song to song more fluid. I can do it now but I’ve gotta be fast fingered and right on beat...can be potentially not good in live situations. I use Ableton for studio and band work which can do these kinda things 10x better, but apps like groovebox/blocs really aid me in small solo onemanband gigs where I don’t wanna bring my laptop and Push 2.
    I did sell my Launchkey mini and bought a Launchkey 25 just to use it with Groovebox. I use the first two channels for loops that I want for that particular song/jam, and then select six instrument tracks and use them to loop sounds with the transport controls. But I understand this is not for everybody, a lot of peeps wanna map it like they want it! That has been very fun and great for improv. But being able to have multiple keys and scales in a streamlined scene launch mode would be killer combined with that.
    Even with JA Grooverider killin’ it.... I still will not give up on groovebox… Because when I go to add an instrument I see a large blank space that will be filled up with more instruments and goodies in time. I personally don’t have a problem buying packs because they are cheap and quite good sounds for the most part...and everything can be imported into Ableton, which is great for me. A midi file option would be fantastic...

@RUST( i )K said:

>
    Exactly! It’s 2018....MIDI Channels shouldn’t be IAP luxuries. We know they wanna sell packs, but c’mon! :wink:
    I’ve bought a BassStation, three MIDI Controllers and $100+ worth of packs...I am a loyal customer wanting the apps to be the best they can be!

• @RUST( i )K said:
    O hai.

Do you use it?

I do.

I love Novation apps.

but. but. but.

PRESET SAVING AND SHARING (Not allowing people to save presets in order to sell genre based "packs" is getting tiresome)

MIDI section export.

I love your products and professional approach. So, can we please finally get Groovebox in the league it could be.

That is all.

Agreed! Please add these feature before you release any more pre$ets. MIDI LEARN IS A MUST! It’s 2018! Make your apps work with everything we expect and you’ll clean up in sales.

• Guys it ain’t gonna happen. I saw a video of an employee making sound packs. They allow us to do presets well someone would be out of a job. So I just enjoy the app as it is and use what it does provide as is. Bummer but that’s just how it is.

@FreeRadioRevolu said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    O hai.

Do you use it?

I do.

I love Novation apps.

but. but. but.

MIDI section export.

That is all.

Agreed! Please add these feature before you release any more pre$ets. MIDI LEARN IS A MUST! It’s 2018! Make your apps work with everything we expect and you’ll clean up in sales.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guys it ain’t gonna happen. I saw a video of an employee making sound packs. They allow us to do presets well someone would be out of a job. So I just enjoy the app as it is and use what it does provide as is. Bummer but that’s just how it is.

@FreeRadioRevolu said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    O hai.

Do you use it?

I do.

I love Novation apps.

but. but. but.

MIDI section export.

That is all.

I am all for buying presets.

IN ADDITION TO MERELY SAVING MY OWN.

I am willing to guess the business model for this app is more that that.....I hope? LOL

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guys it ain’t gonna happen. I saw a video of an employee making sound packs. They allow us to do presets well someone would be out of a job. So I just enjoy the app as it is and use what it does provide as is. Bummer but that’s just how it is.

@FreeRadioRevolu said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    O hai.

Do you use it?

I do.

I love Novation apps.

but. but. but.

MIDI section export.

That is all.

How about this?

At least if that is the way the app will be and the plans for it, please just tell us Novation? We love the app but it is hard to use it in a "professional" way with midi channel limits and lack of saving.

I think disclosure is best way to handle all business to be honest is to be noble.

I can't use something where I spend hours tweaking a sound but cannot use it on another song at my desire.

Who heard of a synth you can't save your own presets you make?

The app is so good, it is sad these little nuance issues are holding it back.

As seen on this thread.

Same issues seem to be pervasive.

Sucha bummer really.

• Midi out.

Getting really fed up waiting for this feature.

• @RUST( i )K said:

Who heard of a synth you can't save your own presets you make?

I know its from the dark ages, and yes I am being pedantic but sorry I couldn't resist :D

Preset saving is a big omission, I'd like to see presets able to be saved in an iOS version of Components so you could use them on say a Circuit or Mininova

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    They allow us to do presets well someone would be out of a job.

No they wouldn't.....as long as they keep making better presets than I could make ;)

@Zen210507 MIDI OUT
    @db909 But perhaps one day there will be knob turn recording style automation to breathe some life into those synths

Yes please :)

I too get frustrated that I am unable to use Groovebox for more than I am currently...but at the same time i'm enjoying what I can and am doing with Groovebox.

The recent Launchkey integration, while not perfect, has made it so much more accessible for me as someone who prefers keys/knobs/pads instead of the touchscreen, and for the first time in a very long time (if ever) I am making music that I want to make freely with software without thinking about how I am going to get it to work, what apps do I need to use or even what I am going to make.
    I love the fact that it is zero setup..plug in and play. I wouldn't want any future development to change this.

Ampify and Novation are not only about making great sounding synths and apps, but also about getting music making into the hands of people who would otherwise be scared of it, so they make stuff that is easy to setup and use.
    I believe these guys are working hard to give us excellent tools..and I think it is probably just simple maths as to why these issues have not yet been addressed....More Packs Sold = More Money for Salaries = Faster Development

Is Groovebox perfect...NO
    Do I get excited with each update...YES
    Am I often disappointed that features I want are not there....YES
    Isn't this the same for every app though ? YES

• edited April 2018

@AndyPlankton said:
    I too get frustrated that I am unable to use Groovebox for more than I am currently...but at the same time i'm enjoying what I can and am doing with Groovebox.

For sure, Groovebox is a top quality app, with some great features and lovely sounds. I have tried to help via beta testing, and since then bought packs and Pro features.

Also get what you are saying about empowering peeps. Novation certainly did that for RTM. But If the next feature added was Midi out, I would be delighted, and happily give the guys my IAP fiver. :)

• edited April 2018

Last year I gave up waiting for midi out and other features that would make this pro level. Love the app, but it's like Figure, focused on other demographics. :wink:

You know who digs Novation's apps? My teen nephew who is inspired by contemporary DJs and youtubers with their hardware Launchpad :lol:

• edited April 2018

@MusicMan4Christ said:

@FreeRadioRevolu said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    O hai.

Do you use it?

I do.

I love Novation apps.

but. but. but.

MIDI section export.

That is all.

Do you have a link to that video?

@AmpifyxNovation Please let us create our own presets. Many of us here have stated that we'd still buy the packs.

We can make our own patches in synths like Zeeon and STILL buy the IAP packs like those from Brice.

Also, could you perhaps have a team member check out your facebook page and answer the numerous ignored posts and questions over there.

We all want these apps to evolve and some response on official stance would be super helpful and courteous! Cheers. :)

• It was actually in the app as one of the notifications that the app gives users in the menu. It took me to their website and there was this girl and she was making presets from her home studio. I’d feel really bad if she or others lost their jobs. I respect their decision to omit user presets but I still do not like it. But again it’s their business decision.

@SpookyZoo said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

@FreeRadioRevolu said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    O hai.

Do you use it?

I do.

I love Novation apps.

but. but. but.

MIDI section export.

That is all.

@AmpifyxNovation Please let us create our own presets. Many of us here have stated that we'd still buy the packs.

We can make our own patches in synths like Zeeon and STILL buy the IAP packs like those from Brice.

Also, could you perhaps have a team member check out your facebook page and answer the numerous ignored posts and questions over there.

We all want these apps to evolve and some response on official stance would be super helpful and courteous! Cheers. :)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    It was actually in the app as one of the notifications that the app gives users in the menu. It took me to their website and there was this girl and she was making presets from her home studio. I’d feel really bad if she or others lost their jobs. I respect their decision to omit user presets but I still do not like it. But again it’s their business decision.

@SpookyZoo said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

@FreeRadioRevolu said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    O hai.

Do you use it?

I do.

I love Novation apps.

but. but. but.

MIDI section export.

That is all.

Oh I OK, I think I saw that. She was doing vocals for Blocswave?

Would be nice if they gave someone a job to organise the File library they've been promising us for 2 years! ;)

• Undo is all I want.

• Groovebox is basically a rompler. On my iPad it sits in a folder with SampleTank and Module.

• PROBLEM SOLUTION PRESET ISSUE:

I.A.P. ! ! ! ! !

IAP

I would pay to save presets.

I think that is fair compromise, no?

• @senhorlampada said:
    Last year I gave up waiting for midi out and other features that would make this pro level. Love the app, but it's like Figure, focused on other demographics. :wink:

>

But there is no reason why Novation/Ampify can’t do both. More EDM packs for the kids, and a few IAP’s for the likes of us. I mean, why bother with the quality and innovation they’ve produced so far, only to hold it back.

Novation/Ampify, please sell us -

Midi out
    Save Presets
    AU3
    Apply IAA and AU3 FX per loop/sample.

I’d buy the lot for £20. :)

• @Zen210507 said:

@senhorlampada said:

>

But there is no reason why Novation/Ampify can’t do both. More EDM packs for the kids, and a few IAP’s for the likes of us. I mean, why bother with the quality and innovation they’ve produced so far, only to hold it back.

Novation/Ampify, please sell us -

Midi out
    Save Presets
    AU3
    Apply IAA and AU3 FX per loop/sample.

I’d buy the lot for £20. :)

BINGO

I think this may be what the ticket may be!

• I think a simple undo that just deletes all the notes in a pattern with one tap would be pretty great. Not a fan of hitting the trash icon and then the delete button, which always seems to take two taps. I mean when you’re trying to jam and stay in the flow these things matter

• @db909 said:
    I think a simple undo that just deletes all the notes in a pattern with one tap would be pretty great. Not a fan of hitting the trash icon and then the delete button, which always seems to take two taps. I mean when you’re trying to jam and stay in the flow these things matter

Now you are pushing it.....LOL

• @RUST( i )K said:

@db909 said:
    I think a simple undo that just deletes all the notes in a pattern with one tap would be pretty great. Not a fan of hitting the trash icon and then the delete button, which always seems to take two taps. I mean when you’re trying to jam and stay in the flow these things matter

Now you are pushing it.....LOL

If the delete button didn’t have such terrible hit detection (at least on iPhone and I have zero other problems like this) id let it slide but its like you are required to hit it in the center, off to one side but still on is no good it seems