Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multiple 10/100/1000 Ethernet Interfaces for iPad

2»

Comments

• @Tovokas Glad it worked out! Glad you picked up on the file transfer speed! There's a few other connection topologies that work out - if you want to experiment:
    1. Can host the hub on the Mac - then iOS devices plugged into hub will connect via IDAM.
    2. USB Printer & Wireless Mouse dongles work in the Hub when hosted by Mac (documentation says they don't, but all of mine have).
    3. the Behringer Line2USB Cable works as an Audio Interface when plugged into the Hub (Mac or iOS).
    4. Novation AudioHub works as Interface on iOS or Mac with its Host cable plugged into the Hub (then you can use the RCA/TRS I/O's to and fro other computers/interfaces etc.
    5. USB Dongles work when hosted by iOS (but must be formatted properly for Camera i.e DCIM folder etc). I'd be very curious for someone to test one of those iOS Flash Drives.

On High Sierra - the Content Caching service also provides shared internet to iOS devices connected via USB (or into AuKey Hub etc). This is the tethered-caching service that was previously only used via MAC OS Server (and more recently via Terminal). So yes you can turn off wi-fi and still get internet on the USB-connected iOS device

• Very cool tips: I'll try them out!

• Resurrecting this thread...

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to use ethernet to send midi between my two iPads. I use them live, so would rather avoid potential wireless signal drops. Given the earlier description, would I connect each iPad into a network switch via ethernet-usb adapter (or the Aukey hub) and CCK3, and they'd "see" each other?

• @MarkR said:
    Resurrecting this thread...

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to use ethernet to send midi between my two iPads. I use them live, so would rather avoid potential wireless signal drops. Given the earlier description, would I connect each iPad into a network switch via ethernet-usb adapter (or the Aukey hub) and CCK3, and they'd "see" each other?

I don’t have the 2nd iPad (will in day or 2), I always have my Mac going and hosting the MIDI Network Session, and also connected to the switch - can def say that works as you describe with CCK’s and USB to Ethernet. I’m just not sure if an iPad can host on its own. I will chime back in when I can check, if nobody else does in the meantime.

• Just a simple comment, because I didn't know this for a while and someone else might not..You can run Ableton Link over a usb/lightening cable. B)

• @Aud_iOS said:

@MarkR said:
    Resurrecting this thread...

I don’t have the 2nd iPad (will in day or 2), I always have my Mac going and hosting the MIDI Network Session, and also connected to the switch - can def say that works as you describe with CCK’s and USB to Ethernet. I’m just not sure if an iPad can host on its own. I will chime back in when I can check, if nobody else does in the meantime.

Please do, thanks!

• @futureaztec said:
    Just a simple comment, because I didn't know this for a while and someone else might not..You can run Ableton Link over a usb/lightening cable. B)

You mean iPad #1 into a hub then into iPad #2?

• wimwim
    edited April 2018

I haven’t tried over Ethernet, but I would expect the behavior to be the same as over WiFi. In order to get the Network Session working between two iPads I had to use MidiFire, but then it worked well except for latency and jitter that made it impractical to use, even on a dedicated router. I’m guessing that this would work over Ethernet though. I’ll be interested to hear if it does.

• I thought "duh, maybe I should read Ableton's pages about Link". lol Here's what they say:

"WIFI Router - The router itself doesn't need to be connected to the internet to create a private network. Simply connecting two devices with Ethernet cables to the same router is enough to transfer network data between them. Otherwise check the help files for your router in order to set up a private WIFI network.

"Ethernet or Thunderbolt Cable - Directly connect two computers using either Ethernet or Thunderbolt cables, both of which are capable of transmitting network data.

"Lightning Cable (iOS) - Lightning cables support network data transfer.

"Lightning to Ethernet adaptor - You can directly connect an iOS device to another mobile device, using a Lightning to Ethernet adaptor (usually sold as a Lightning Camera Adaptor). If connecting an Android device to another mobile device, you'll need to use an Ethernet adaptor and install Marshmallow for Android, as per the instructions on this third party site.

Note: It's not possible to use Link over Bluetooth, nor is it possible to use Link on a VPN (virtual private network)."

• edited July 2018

Thank you Aud_iOS for all this info!!! Been searching for a verrrry long time for something like this.
    Question, can you connect the usb hub straight to a mac via ethernet or do you need a switch?
    I use my iPad wth cck int a usb hub with apogee Jam wth bias fx into quantiloop which i control with a logidy usb footswitch for looping, i want to use ableton live for percussion and tempo link it to my loops.