Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FREE classical midi files -

http://www.classicalarchives.com/midi.html

You get a free share every month...
some of the files are very very good, and can be used for making scores.
Just import into Notion or Symphony Pro.

A cool thing to do is to load a midi file of Wagner, Mahler or some slow moving music, into Cubasis or Auria.
Assign synths to the voices instead of the orchestra instruments. Some tracks, like violins, you can merge and play as strings.
ISymphonic is really king, it's auv3, and you can Lias in many voices...
Or use Model 15 as lead voice or bass... Kinda Wendy Carlos on iPad, but she didn't have midi back then.

Comments

• edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I rea> @Max23 said:

Just looking through
    Oh so little Gershwin
    I have to confess I discovered Scarlatti through Carlos, lol

Let's see if anyone reaches this level with this >:)
    Can't beat the master.

http://youtube.com/watch?list=PL96D4CDCAF71922C4&v=6UlATCYh_u4

I have been messing with a midifile of this

But I could do what I want with it it was stiff as hell ...
    I had to play it in myself to get something I liked ...
    Things get really weird if you play midistuff back with a different sound than it was recorded with. Uhm weird in an unpleasant way.
    With background stuff to picture you get away with a lot of weird shit, but if you isolate the music from the picture it shows...
    (I like to close my eyes when listening so I don't get confused with what I see)

I really liked this. I haven't heard it before. Thanks.
    I'm working on the Alegretto from Beethoven 7 now. Just to learn, mostly.
    When I close my eyes, I see the score :smile:

• I very much like this:

• Cool idea

I guess my question is why use that site instead of the numerous free ones? Are the midi files there generally of higher quality?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @jn2002dk said:
    Cool idea

I guess my question is why use that site instead of the numerous free ones? Are the midi files there generally of higher quality?

Yes, some of them are of exceptionally good quality, played by master musicians. Piano scores are good.
    But of course you can find some with lesser quality, put in for just educational reasons I guess.
    You get to download 5 midi-files a day, if you register. A great gift, at least for me.

I downloaded Mahlers 5th, the ambient Asian theme, and loaded it into my Tyros 4 arranger keyboard, and good golly miss molly, I was blown away by the sheer natural sounding of the orchestra. I've tried to recreate this on the iPad, and my way is to load it into Notion, and assign instruments. I've bought most of the sounds there.

On the Tyros, I can only display one voice at the time, not the whole score. Midi-Ing up the iPad to the Tyros makes me able to see the whole score as it plays. Wunderbar.
    MusicXML files are just as good as midi, because the notated dynamics are incorporated. Load it into Notion and export it as midi... and i can use it inside Auria Pro. My way anyway.

• OK, I will register there :-)

Do you know http://www.piano-midi.de/technic.htm

• I have iSymphonic and I would like to compose and put together some music. Can anyone explain please how different midi and pages work in iSymphonic and how to put a couple of tracks together? Would it work in Cubasis or do I have to record every instrument separately as audio without the possibility of making changes?

• @Manuela said:
    I have iSymphonic and I would like to compose and put together some music. Can anyone explain please how different midi and pages work in iSymphonic and how to put a couple of tracks together? Would it work in Cubasis or do I have to record every instrument separately as audio without the possibility of making changes?

You can put the midi tracks in Cubasis and assign them to iSymphonic as an AU. The number of tracks is limited by the power of your ipad's processor.

• Thank you Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr. I will try that. I tried it as and Inter app but I can only insert one track then. I have Ipad Pro 12.9 2nd gen. I will check how far I can push it :).

• @Manuela said:
    Thank you Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr. I will try that. I tried it as and Inter app but I can only insert one track then. I have Ipad Pro 12.9 2nd gen. I will check how far I can push it :).

You could do 16 instruments in IAA mode as well. Isymphonic can play multiple patches, which are being triggered by different midi channels.

• Can I record 16 instruments with cubasis or isymphonic? And how can I put them all together? Shame there is so few videos with isymphonic arrangements explained.

• @tja said:
    I very much like this:

Very nice! :-)

• @Nu2moro said:

@tja said:
    I very much like this:

This one of Elgar’s Nimrod variations.

• @Kühl said:

@Nu2moro said:

@tja said:
    I very much like this:

Thanks for the reply! :-) I was going to ask who the composer was as I have heard it many times at my father in laws many years ago but had forgotten.

• @Nu2moro said:

@Kühl said:

@Nu2moro said:

@tja said:
    I very much like this:

Thanks for the reply! :-) I was going to ask who the composer was as I have heard it many times at my father in laws many years ago but had forgotten.

Elgar is my favourite English composer. Pomp and Circumstances you know :smiley:
    If I remember right Nimrod is a part of his Enigma variations.

Cool that you showed me this, as I’m about to run Mahlers Adagietto through cubasis, with iSymphonic.
    Bach-Mozart-Mahler, that’s my big 3, with the middle man as numero uno musician of all times.

• So are you using the midi files from Classical Archives to import into Cubasis?
    If so, how would you rate these midi files?

• @Mayo said:
    So are you using the midi files from Classical Archives to import into Cubasis?

I would rate a number of them very high. Seems one needs to be a registered member to download now.

Here is the Stravinsky index.
    https://www.classicalarchives.com/midi/composer/3415.html

These have been around a long time. The Firebird or Rite of Spring midifiles will present major issues for most iOS sequencers due to multiple time signatures and varying tempos throughout. I own Cubasis and it is just not able to handle these Stravinsky midis. Auria does a fair job but is difficult (for me) to edit the midi. The best I have used for these type midi files is MultiTrackStudio with all the IAPs. But MultiTrackStudio is not without it's issues importing midi. MTS splits all program changes in a single track into multiple tracks, one per unique program change. That is ok in some cases but I would prefer the option to leave them on one track. The soundfont player in MTS is great for the GM midifiles found on the Classical Archives. You can then use iSymphonic for any track you decide the internal MTS sounds or sf2 sounds are insufficient. Still searching for the holy grail sequencer on iOS that handle modern orchestral music like Stravinsky, Messiaen, Webern, Copland as well as Cakewalk and Sonar did even back in the late 1990's....

• Oh man, I haven't been on that site in years ... decades? I remember when it was all free. We're talking the 90s, probably.

• @bigcatrik said:
    Oh man, I haven't been on that site in years ... decades? I remember when it was all free. We're talking the 90s, probably.

It’s still free, 5 files a day :)

• @Mayo said:

They are of were different quality.
    A few are amateurish, but most are played by good musicians. Especially piano files. They have the right velocities.

I use the files to load into Notion so I can produce a score. I like to play the parts myself :)

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

@Kühl said:

@Mayo said:

A few are amateurish, but most are played by good musicians. Especially piano files. They have the right velocities.

I use the files to load into Notion so I can produce a score. I like to play the parts myself :)

As I read you here, how would you compare Notion and Symphony Pro 5?
    Is one enough?

• @tja said:

@Kühl said:

@Mayo said:

Is one enough?

One used to be enough.
    Let me explain: Symphony is definitely the best to notate in. It used to have wonderful string sounds, but after they renewed their samples in version 4, it’s unusable even to make a demo in. In Notion, however, you can buy very good sound samples, and make very good demos of your music. Notion also has a desktop companion with even better orchestral sounds. I’ve bought all the string sound packs, and if I load in a MusicXML file of Tschaikowski and play it, it’s almost like buying the cd. Notion also has handwriting with the Apple Pencil, which I like a bunch.
    You can also use the pencil in Symphony, but in another fashion, more like a finger-extension.
    Both apps work together flawlessly, because of the MusicXML Format.
    Perhaps I hold Symphony Pro in high regard because it was my first notation app, but it is really a nice cosy environment for a composer. Notion has a more complicated interface with, for me, a slower workflow.
    That’s why I use both apps. I start in Symphony and end it in Notion.
    It’s like starting your work in Gadget and transferring everything to Auria Pro for mastering.

• @Kühl said:

@tja said:

@Kühl said:

@Mayo said:

Is one enough?

One used to be enough.
    Let me explain: Symphony is definitely the best to notate in. It used to have wonderful string sounds, but after they renewed their samples in version 4, it’s unusable even to make a demo in. In Notion, however, you can buy very good sound samples, and make very good demos of your music. Notion also has a desktop companion with even better orchestral sounds. I’ve bought all the string sound packs, and if I load in a MusicXML file of Tschaikowski and play it, it’s almost like buying the cd. Notion also has handwriting with the Apple Pencil, which I like a bunch.
    You can also use the pencil in Symphony, but in another fashion, more like a finger-extension.
    Perhaps I hold Symphony Pro in high regard because it was my first notation app, but it is really a nice cosy environment for a composer. Notion has a more complicated interface with, for me, a slower workflow.
    It’s like starting your work in Gadget and transferring everything to Auria Pro for mastering.

Thanks a bunch!
    So, I will stay with Symphony Pro 5 for now and maybe later also get Notion.

• @tja said:

@Kühl said:

@tja said:

@Kühl said:

@Mayo said:

Is one enough?

One used to be enough.

Thanks a bunch!

A good choice. It’s easy to get out of control with in app purchases if you buy Notion :smile:
    I don’t know how your “fuel bill” is this month.

• @Kühl said:

@tja said:

@Kühl said:

@tja said:

@Kühl said:

@Mayo said:

Is one enough?

One used to be enough.

Thanks a bunch!

A good choice. It’s easy to get out of control with in app purchases if you buy Notion :smile:

Always too small, with a growing App wishlist :p B) ;)

Any experience with the others?

• @tja said:

@Kühl said:

@tja said:

@Kühl said:

@tja said:

@Kühl said:

@Mayo said:

Is one enough?

One used to be enough.

Thanks a bunch!

Always too small, with a growing App wishlist :p B) ;)

Any experience with the others?

Well I have YouCompose, but Jordan’s HarmonyWiz is way better.