Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Navichord features poll

Hello Audiobus-community!

First of all, thank you so much for all feedback you gave me to make Navichord better :smile:

Please use this poll to vote for new features. Feel free to add the missing ones in the comment area, I will update the poll accordingly.

https://goo.gl/forms/jW8z6m0uZ2wpPs2A2

Best,
Denis (Navichord developer)

Comments

• Would like to have multiple choices instead of one. I can’t decide on one single feature...

• edited April 2018

Ok, let me check other options.

UPDATE: added external poll with check-boxes.

• @Navichord said:
    Ok, let me check other options.

UPDATE: added external poll with check-boxes.

Thanks, that’s better!

• edited April 2018

Have submitted poll.

Other: option to disable IAA transport, velocity playable pads on midi out, creating any chord/voicing and memorize them as presets.

Audio unit should be nice too, with preset state saving.

I use Navichord much more as a chord midi controller to trigger instruments on my iPhone and record them in Xequence/Gadget. I don’t use chords song mode at all.

• @Janosax said:
    Have submitted poll.

Other: option to disable IAA transport, velocity playable pads on midi out, creating any chord/voicing and memorize them as presets.

Audio unit should be nice too, with preset state saving.

I use Navichord much more as a chord midi controller to trigger instruments on my iPhone and record them in Xequence/Gadget. I don’t use chords song mode at all.

Thanks!

velocity playable pads on midi out

Do you want to use input velocity on MIDI-learned pads? Please clarify.

creating any chord/voicing and memorize them as presets.

This one is about being able to add chords manually to the detection library?

• edited April 2018

velocity playable pads on midi out

Do you want to use input velocity on MIDI-learned pads? Please clarify.

I already use Xequence drum maps to trigger Navichord chords/pads. As Xequence has velocity pads, I can trigger Navichord that way though midi assignment. What I wish is to be able to do it directly in Navichord. I already can set x control and y control in midi page on volume and other things, but there is no velocity control. Adding that feature will allow for more expressive control/midi recordings.

creating any chord/voicing and memorize them as presets.

This one is about being able to add chords manually to the detection library?

Yes but not only detection but also chords edit page (bottom page on iPhone) and not only jazz chords presets that I will use, but also being able to set manually any chord/voicing of any number of notes/position to do my own presets. Being able to have a preset list with some classification should be nice too.

Thanks

• Great poll!
    I checked a bunch of options :D
    Sync Auto Start off switch but is it possible to still have the transport side bar?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Sync Auto Start off switch but is it possible to still have the transport side bar?

Don't worry, I will make the sync optional while keeping the transport bar.

• @Navichord said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Have you read my precedent post in answer to yours? Was it more clear?

• @Janosax said:

@Navichord said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Have you read my precedent post in answer to yours? Was it more clear?

Yes, it is all clear, thanks!

• Just wanted to say: thank you for asking! (poll)

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    Just wanted to say: thank you for asking! (poll)

Yes always a very nice thing to be listened by apps devs

• What's a Slash Chord? :o

• @tja said:
    What's a Slash Chord? :o

Chords with another bass note like C/G, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_chord

• First results from 61 participants:

1. Arpeggiator - 60%
    2. Audio Unit - 56.7%
    3. MIDI export - 55%
    4. Multiple octaves for voicing - 28%
  • I would like to be able to play more than one note at a time.

Awesome poll, I will be back with a real suggestion. :)

• Hey guys, can you see the results of the poll?

@CracklePot said:
    I would like to be able to play more than one note at a time.

Same note from different octaves, voicing ?

• @Navichord said:
    Hey guys, can you see the results of the poll?

@CracklePot said:

Nah, just a dum joke. Sorry. :)

• @CracklePot said:

@Navichord said:

@CracklePot said:

Nah, just a dum joke. Sorry. :)

Oops :smile:

• This app needs a performance recorder
    Piano Roll midi editor
    midi file export
    AU
    Then it would be PERFECT!

• @Navichord said:

The results are not very visible. Just after voting there's a graphic showing the beams but without labels. And there's no results when you want to check back, only directly after voting.

• A manual would be very helpful. But I know, no fun to write. B)

• @CracklePot said:
    A manual would be very helpful. But I know, no fun to write. B)

SECONDED. I just paid £9 for this and the "documentation" is shoddy. And there's a whole bunch of useless web links I will never use taking up the first page of 'settings' (including one designed to trick me into top-rating the app).

• I'm confused about the "Slash chords" are you referring to chords that have a base note outside of a root/inversion? You can already make inversions super easy in the app so I don't see the point of it.

• @MarkH said:
    SECONDED. I just paid £9 for this and the "documentation" is shoddy. And there's a whole bunch of useless web links I will never use taking up the first page of 'settings' (including one designed to trick me into top-rating the app).

I'm a manual junky but this app is one of the few apps i never felt the need to read a manual on... it is simple and straight forward.

• I'm a manual junky but this app is one of the few apps i never felt the need to read a manual on... it is simple and straight forward.

Like everything, I expect it is simple and straightforward if you know what it is for and what it can do.

• @MarkH said:

@CracklePot said:
    A manual would be very helpful. But I know, no fun to write. B)

shoddy would be an unkind word for this app, i think this app is very simple with a clean UI, no under the hood functions, what you see is what you get

definitely among the top 3 chords based apps for me, top two being Chordpolypad and Suggester

maybe you should have a look at suggester, the UI is even more simple and a good enough manual guide

• @MarkH said:

I'm a manual junky but this app is one of the few apps i never felt the need to read a manual on... it is simple and straight forward.

Like everything, I expect it is simple and straightforward if you know what it is for and what it can do.

Hi @MarkH , can you explain what exactly is not clear? I'm starting the manual and I could focus on your items first:

• Genral layout
    • Grid view
      ** find chords for meolody
      ** find melody for chords
    • Chord pad view
      ** edit chords
    • Song view
    • Scale options
    • MIDI routing
    • Sync options
  • @Navichord said:

@MarkH said:

Hi @MarkH , can you explain what exactly is not clear? I'm starting the manual and I could focus on your items first

I am not going to give any comprehensive list of things that are not clear because that really misses the point. But when I buy an app or a gadget I expect to be able to find a bit of context telling me what it can do and what I might use it for. This is especially true of something like your app, since I'm trying to figure out how to make music and what I can use to do it.

You might argue that this isn't always necessary - for example, if I buy an acoustic guitar I'm unlikely to need a manual to explain what I might use it for. And at the other extreme, I should probably also not expect to receive a manual to teach me music theory and chord fingerings. Perhaps you take the position that your app is aimed at professionals and people who are completely music-literate, in which case you would probably not feel it was necessary to include such context. But that's one of the things I would value in a manual. Like, what might I actually sit down and do with Navichord? I have sort of gathered by now that it can be used to compose and/or to perform, but perhaps there are other uses too.

Moving on from that, I think a comprehensive account of what everything does is a basic requirement. I have lost count of apps and programs where I have tinkered for years and used a tiny subset of functions because there are hidden features or features that behave in non-intuitive ways. (And we need to acknowledge that 'intuition' varies from person to person, since it is really domain knowledge assimilated on a level below conscious thought.) Perhaps your app it so trivial that you don't consider this necessary, but I may not agree. 'Autoscale updates' means nothing to me and 'link chord voices' is mysterious. Likewise 'MIDI CC (chords)', the 'quantum' setting under Ableton link, and 'load chords only'. The function of some of the icons isn't explained either. There is a warning triangle that I have decided may be a MIDI panic button but it's hard to tell until I get a stuck MIDI note. I don't know what the little magic wand icon does - the intro says 'use autoscale to create matching melody' but I can't tell what this means.

Some of these things I can sort of guess at, but I think we deserve at least a concise description of each thing. In a good manual the description will elaborate to give some context, which can be educational in its own right. Okay, 'receive IAA clock' accidentally tells me something I didn't know before (IAA has a clock signal that can be passed around), but it tells me only in an approximate way. As I said above, there is a line to be drawn and you probably have some right to expect that I know something about MIDI to understand your MIDI options. But apps that fall on the useful side of that line get my respect.

So there you are. I'm not expecting you to answer these specifically here, but that's my view of what I value in a manual. And preferably as a PDF file.

(P.S. 'Latency' is mis-spelled on the Audio settings page :))