Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why, SoundCloud, why?

edited February 2014 in Support and Feedback

Now I'm getting a little frazzled.
Why is it that I can get no straight info on how to upload to Soundcloud??? Even the website itself offers no pointers! I think I'm logged in, because I can see where I can Sign Out (or am I being toyed with in this way as well?) Certainly can't find where to Sign In, so... I have the app, I've been to the browser (Safari) website, nothing. I've even Googled for help to no avail! I even read about recording from my computer using their Flash recorder, but does 'computer' mean iPhone as well? Really hating sounding like a whiny baby, but this crap is starting to p*** me off. It seems like I'm supposed to possess some basic knowledge that I do not (is it some fundamental iOS thing I'm unaware of?) I know now how to get my tunes out of Garageband thanks to this forum's help, but I can't and won't bother to execute if I can't put it someplace everyone else seems to be using - if I am going to be the only one to listen to it I'll listen to it right here on the iPhone! Whoop-de-doo! :-(

Comments

• Soundcloud app is total rubbish, just delete it. Also accessing Soundcloud via a browser on iOS is difficult. I have tried Chrome, Safari and Fox with limited success. The only reliable way to sign-in I have found is on PC.

Or you could forget Soundcloud altogether and use Bandcamp.

• You can easily upload to it from audio share.

• Like they say above don't use soundcloud app.. Use the export / send to type functions from other apps.

This page says you can do it straight from GarageBand ios app. What menu / export options have you tried?

http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/587304-how-do-i-use-garageband-with-soundcloud-

• You may be able to transfer files to Soundcloud from within apps, but if you want to add comments, change settings, delete or add images, you still need to do this via Soundcloud itself. You are faced with the same login problems.

• explosive exhalation OK, I have used the GB upload tactic to put the first song on SC - now, how long can I expect to wait before the track gets processed? It's already been close to 20 minutes & I have no idea how long this will take, since there is no countdown - just a count up, with no idea what and when to expect a result. For all I know it's already done it while typing this...

• I suppose it has something to do with the (default) sound quality that the track is exported in... yes? GB defaults to high-quality, so that to me would explain the wait.

• Here we go (I think): Uploading from GB to SC doesn't do a very good job of letting you know what's going on with the status of processing your upload (10 hours!?!) but in trying to search for info about this I found it already processed, so I assume you folks can get to it now.

The song is called 'Doot' and clocks in at 3:36; I utilized AudioBus to record horn parts from Music Studio (enhanced by GB instruments) & recorded harmonized vocals through the iPhone built-in mic; you can find it at Brain53. I hope you will check it out & post your comments - all are welcome! And thank you once again!

• @Brain you will need to post the link to your Soundcloud tune. No way it should take more than a few minutes to upload a tune that is 3.36mins long though

• It probably only took an hour, but I was busy looking for answers (again). But it's there!

• Is not the song name & account name enough to find it?

• More confusion: How does one search for either the right song or the right account, and then post a link? Maybe it's the iPhone, but I did figure out that clicking on Stream after a search for 'Doot' (500+ hits) lands you where you need to be. I hope...

• Sorry dude, but people aren't likely to spend time searching for it. You will need to post the link, preferably in the Creations category.

• And I wouldn't blame them for not searching for it... The freakin' trouble I've had trying to figure out the what's & whys of Soundcloud & how to get the actual link format... Cyber-terrorism on my device!

• Try Bandcamp

• New problem: Bandcamp sign-up requires an e-mail address (of course) but I have lost access to both my Gmail & Yahoo accounts, and I can only recover one or the other with info sent to the other... Feedback loops have locked me out & the passwords I use are not working... I'm stuck using Soundcloud for now. I have run into this issue numerous times & cannot escape the loop.

• You can also just upload your .wav files to the cloud. For example; file share you GB song to your computer. Master it. How? There are tons of free compressors and equalizers etc. just look for free effects vst's and au's. After mastering it upload the .wav file to a cloud account. Whn people click on it they will download it. Which Is better because for the record most people do not listen to other peoples soundcloud. Especially on music forums. Just the truth.

• Not only did I have a bit a trouble getting the SC issues sorted out, but now I'm getting conflicting reports of SC's usefulness or preference to people. This is not the way I wanted to get my first song out there - and now I'll have to figure out exactly how to do what @ShawnLeonhardt suggests... or do I? I provided an SC link, but does this mean that no one here will go and have a listen (even though others here have posted SC links to their music)? I don't yet have ample experience dealing with all of these & related issues & I find myself getting a little more frustrated by all this... has no one gone to listen???

• edited February 2014
  • Yes @Brain I had a listen and it's very nice tune.

It all depends on what you want to achieve doesn't it? Personally, it's my hobby and I make music purely for my own pleasure. That is enough for me. If someone else enjoys it I am pleased of course, but if they don't it doesn't particularly matter. I post stuff mainly on Bandcamp because I can set it up as a personal webpage that looks nice, but also on Soundcloud where any followers get notifications of new posts. The follower thing is probably the only benefit of Soundcloud IMO.

I get a (very) few sales from Bandcamp and that is always a buzz, but the Soundcloud account gets the most plays. Make of that what you will.

The sales are mostly songs that are not on Soundcloud, although that has a link to Bandcamp.
    Both have their uses and they are not mutually exclusive of course.

The free Soundcloud account has a limitation of 2 hours music, while Bandcamp has none. Bandcamp does take 15% of any sales though, which is fair enough.

I've only been dicking around with this for 10 months or so and this is my only experience. I'm sure others will disagree.

I also understand that the world is not waiting with bated breath for my next masterpiece to appear:-)

• I've had no issues with Soundcloud. I always use audioshare to upload. I can even add artwork from my ipad.

• I wasn't trying to discourage by saying no one will listen to your song, a few will, hell I will when I get to some better speakers (I hate hearing songs on my iPhone with no headphones). The reality is people really don't listen as much as you think they would. However the point was good about what you are trying to accomplish or achieve, if you just want people to listen then ask and some will. Honestly ever since all the app music making started, everyone now thinks they can make music so it's just overloaded. So two pointers; work on making excellent songs and the people will def listen. And, music making is frustrating, it has a learning curve. Many of us have spent countless hours in learning new instruments, software, sites.... If it was easy then we wouldn't need paid musicians. The biggest problem with apps is they make people think it should be a quick breeze to write a song. Nope... Wanting to pull your hair out or quit is where you are tested.

• ^ What Shawn said. Well put.

FWIW I just gave your song a listen Brain, and I enjoyed it a lot. The "doot doot" thing is great, and the synth work is excellent. Clean, nice drums, a great track overall.

Sorry to hear you had such issues with SC. The website is buggy for me occasionally but overall SC works great for me. I upload all my songs to SC directly from my iPad, usually from the DAW I recorded in, or else Audio Mastering.

• @ShawnLeonhardt said:

I wasn't trying to discourage by saying no one will listen to your song, a few will, hell I will when I get to some better speakers (I hate hearing songs on my iPhone with no headphones). The reality is people really don't listen as much as you think they would. However the point was good about what you are trying to accomplish or achieve, if you just want people to listen then ask and some will. Honestly ever since all the app music making started, everyone now thinks they can make music so it's just overloaded. So two pointers; work on making excellent songs and the people will def listen. And, music making is frustrating, it has a learning curve. Many of us have spent countless hours in learning new instruments, software, sites.... If it was easy then we wouldn't need paid musicians. The biggest problem with apps is they make people think it should be a quick breeze to write a song. Nope... Wanting to pull your hair out or quit is where you are tested.

Well said.

The reality of music making today is that a lot of music doesn't sell. People want it for free especially the "young" generation. This is relative. You would think that with all the troubles you go into for composing music, people out there should appreciate it and pay for it? Still, you have to keep knocking on doors and some might open up and let you in.

Don't expect to sell music on soundcloud as there are way too many free music of relative quality. Some might bore you to death but there are also many cool music stuff. Everyone is now a producer but cream always rises so keep plugging. Try as many sites as possible to find the one that works for you.

Patience is a virtue.

• Thank you all once again. I am pleased that I'm getting positive remarks about 'Doot'! I have a second original song that I will upload perhaps today (it will differ in the fact that it is built from GB loops, which may entail a level of 'unoriginality' and hence ease of 'composition'), but I justify it by the mere fact that such loops are included for me to use.

Another query: Does SC Free Version limit how many times it can be listened to? I ask because I thought I remembered reading that this was the case... I assume(d) that the 120 minutes you get limits you to how much music you can post, but I've not verified yet what I thought I read.

I am not interested in selling music, and I too am an enthusiast with a decent musical background. I just want a place to showcase my efforts utilizing iOS music apps, that's all. This forum is the ideal place to do just that. I do have a number of cover tunes I'm working on as well, but I'm not sure if those would be as welcome. My philosophy regarding cover tunes is one of seeing how close I can come to duplicating the sound of the original... I know some people have the opposite opinion, but my main argument is that the original arrangement is what turned me on to the song in the first place, and I consider getting close an act of homage!

Stay tuned...

• edited February 2014

Well, that upload didn't take as long!
    https://m.soundcloud.com/brain53/surething

As mentioned previously, 'Sure Thing' utilizes Garageband loops, but there is a bit more in the vocals dept. It's a shorter song than 'Doot', but there's a fair amount of room to expand upon what's there (a friend I mentioned before suggested that we see what we can do to add to the basic groove with real guitars and the like!).

Again, have at it & please forward your comments! Thanks you!

• edited February 2014

Brain, your link above for Sure Thing is broken -- "surething" is missing the dash. The correct link is:

Pretty cool track, has a great groove, and I love the bass line. You have a good way of filling the track with nice atmosphere -- lots of variety between synths, pad sounds, and rhythm.

Only thing I wished for was a solo of some kind... I'm a sucker for solos :)

• Thanks! Didn't know that u need dashes between words. Soundcloud surfing is kind of hit or miss on my iPhone - not sure how to search for it cold. But, thank you for the comment!

• edited March 2014

Addendum: A musician buddy of mine thought the song would be ripe for expanding and doing just what you said: a solo. He has a buddy who's
    pretty decent on guitar, and we might try something like that.