Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KEEPING IT REAL WITH BeatHawk by UVI

Using “Real” Instrument Samples for a complete project

Comments

• Such a great app.. but, it’s begging for midi import ... just as BM3 is begging for midi export..

Thanks.. Hope they do a Bass pack soon..

• A much slept on app. If only they would expand it for aufx and better sample edit.

• @stormywaterz well on the plus side, BeatHawk itself is a fully functional AUv3

• @RajahP Yes, I too wish for a dedicated Bass pack👍

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @stormywaterz well on the plus side, BeatHawk itself is a fully functional AUv3

I’ve heard the tell... but every time I load it into BM3 it is weird and strange and I bail... mayhaps an AU video would sell me on it.

• edited April 2018

@RajahP said:
    Such a great app.. but, it’s begging for midi import ... just as BM3 is begging for midi export..

Why does it need midi import if it's AUV3? Besides what would that even look like? A pattern is only 32? measures long and there are only 16 tracks/patterns. Can you see why midi import couldn't be implemented reasonably here? Suggest getting a proper DAW and use Beathawk as a sound module.

• @AudioGus said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

I’ve heard the tell... but every time I load it into BM3 it is weird and strange and I bail... mayhaps an AU video would sell me on it.

BM3 has been known to act strangely. In Cubasis and GarageBand it works perfectly.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@AudioGus said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

BM3 has been known to act strangely. In Cubasis and GarageBand it works perfectly.

Ahh thanks could be it. I will try in Cubasis. :)

• I've long been a Beathawk botherer. I think they've done a great and somewhat different job with it. Overall I think I like writing songs in it more than anywhere else. Not saying it's betterer or fasterer or more featurereder, just that I can write songs in it and that makes me as close to happy as I get to mostly being etc.

• edited April 2018

It’s not very stable as an AU in AUM on iPhone, but works flawlessly as IAA, so its not such of an issue to me. Sometimes export don’t go well especially for Ableton Live export, and even multi tracks export sometimes have some kind of bleeding from other tracks at beginning or end of exported sample, so like I do with all other apps I tend to record BH though AUM or Blocs wave. But despite that, I also love that app it’s essential and has the best sampled banks on iOS.

• @AudioGus Yes, there are known isssues with BH @BM3 but here is a video I made last week with BH as an AUv3 in AUM (it’s all abbreviations these days😃😊😎)

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @AudioGus Yes, there are known isssues with BH @BM3 but here is a video I made last week with BH as an AUv3 in AUM (it’s all abbreviations these days😃😊😎)

Thanks STR!

• Does it compare to Sampletank on iOS?

• edited April 2018

@Telstar5 said:
    Does it compare to Sampletank on iOS?

Eh... Sampletank has its merits. It's downside is it's more expensive and sometimes doesn't play well with other apps... IAA crashes and long drawn out midi setups. BH excels in compatibility and it has a far better internal sequencer. Soundwise they are on par and BH is much cheaper. So I get more use out of BH but Sampletank has a few luscious patches. Their IAPs are too expensive and they should have made a more interesting sequencer than what they gave us. Sampletank is deeply flawed in many areas in fact but at its core it does what you'd expect it to do. It's more of a performance tool than a songwriting tool.

• edited April 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@RajahP said:
    Such a great app.. but, it’s begging for midi import ... just as BM3 is begging for midi export..

Why does it need midi import if it's AUV3? Besides what would that even look like? A pattern is only 32? measures long and there are only 16 tracks/patterns. Can you see why midi import couldn't be implemented reasonably here? Suggest getting a proper DAW and use Beathawk as a sound module.

The Song Mode. Don’t think there is anything like it.. Just imagine importing your midi clips (Odesi for starters) to build a song in Song Mode..

Edit.. and it’s export capabilities are superior..

• @RajahP said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@RajahP said:

The Song Mode. Don’t think there is anything like it.. Just imagine importing your midi clips (Odesi for starters) to build a song in Song Mode..

Edit.. and it’s export capabilities are superior..

You're still working with a limited number of patterns and tracks though. What if you had a long midi file with a lot of tracks? The app wouldn't be able to handle it and I don't see a large percentage of users wanting that anyway so it's probably not going to happen. Maybe it would, but I'd rather see improvements in other areas like IAA sampling and sample editing, which could very likely also never happen either.

• Hey how about Session Band?
    BTW @LucidMusicInc , thanks for that!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I've long been a Beathawk botherer. I think they've done a great and somewhat different job with it. Overall I think I like writing songs in it more than anywhere else. Not saying it's betterer or fasterer or more featurereder, just that I can write songs in it and that makes me as close to happy as I get to mostly being etc.

Every carpenter has a favorite hammer and on occasion, having observed other carpenter's hammers, will dally with the "strange" only to retreat in the end to familiarity. Growing old is not just accepting this fact but celebrating it.

• I use BH as a sample module in BM3 all the time. My main complaint with it is that I have to go into the AU interface and change the keyboard mode to keys from pads, so it plays my melodies instead of every loaded sound

• There are some issues with the AUv3 in GarageBand in my experience. If you use a pitched sample (by clicking on the piano icon rather than the pads icon) BeatHawk forgets this in between sessions and you have to reset the AU to play pitched samples every time.

• edited April 2018

@thesoundtestroom said:
    @AudioGus Yes, there are known isssues with BH @BM3 but here is a video I made last week with BH as an AUv3 in AUM (it’s all abbreviations these days😃😊😎)

Hah! Sweet, much thanks Doug! If the Bm3 issues get steamed out I may just nab some packs.

• Does anyone know if it's possible in BH's pitch mode to slide your finger from one key to the next, like on a real keyboard? I can't find a way to do glissando like this?

• Awesome app! Fills the viod left by imachaine. Great for when you just want to play and not dive into synth programing.
    Hope it sticks around.

• edited April 2018

@Purpan said:
    Does anyone know if it's possible in BH's pitch mode to slide your finger from one key to the next, like on a real keyboard? I can't find a way to do glissando like this?

There are legato instruments, you just need to tap one key and another before releasing the first. It depends on the instrument. EDM factory, factory default, has a few of these. Besides ASDR and filter you don't have any customisations.

Edit oh you want glissando. Yeah don't think so. Maybe with note repeat on.

• @Purpan said:
    Does anyone know if it's possible in BH's pitch mode to slide your finger from one key to the next, like on a real keyboard? I can't find a way to do glissando like this?

+1 on this :)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Purpan said:

There are legato instruments, you just need to tap one key and another before releasing the first. It depends on the instrument. EDM factory, factory default, has a few of these. Besides ASDR and filter you don't have any customisations.

Ah well, thanks anyway.

• @Purpan said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Purpan said:

Ah well, thanks anyway.

Load it up in GarageBand, AUM or Audiobus as an AUV though and there you go ;)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Purpan said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Purpan said:

Ah well, thanks anyway.

Load it up in GarageBand, AUM or Audiobus as an AUV though and there you go ;)

Brilliant tip. Hosting BH in AUM opens it right up in many ways. Obvious, really, but I hadn't thought of it. many thanks.

• Beathawk question. I'm pretty new to BH (no more than a week and a half in).

So, I've loaded one instance of Beathawk in Garageband (the iPhone versions of both, please note) and been able to run multiple pitched instrument tracks (e.g. a harp and a glockenspiel and a string section) from within that one instance by using the step sequencer within BH. The patterns cycle themselves as long as Garageband's transport is running.

What I want to do is have on instance of BH in GB and have that one instance perform multiple pitched instrument tracks LINEARLY rather than as patterns. So like, select my harp within BH's AU window. Select pitched instrument icon. Hide BH's AU window. Hit GB's record button, perform on the harp using GB's on screen keyboard (which is nicely velocity sensitive btw) for as many bars as I like, linearly. Go back to beginning. Select glockenspiel in BH's AU window and switch to pitched instrument view in BH's AU window. Hide BH AU window. Hit GB's Rec button and use GB's onscreen KB to accompany my harp performance on the glockenspiel for however many bars I want. Playback, hear both instruments playing independently even though they are both living in the same instance of BH and both "tracks" have their MIDI in the same GB piano roll track.

I SWEAR I was able to do this yesterday morning. I had linear performances of three instruments in one instance of BH in counterpoint with each other. Somehow I messed it up though, and spent the rest of the day unable to recreate this functionality. Now all the MIDI info in one track of GB, housing one instance of BH, just sounds from one BH instrument - whichever BH instrument is currently on screen in the AU window. I can't get it to be otherwise. I can run multiple pitched instruments simultaneously only by using BH's internal step sequencer, never from GB's piano roll.

Does anyone know what I did right yesterday morning?

I know I could just have separate GB tracks with one instance of BH per track and one pitched instrument per track, but the problem with that is things start to get glitchy for me with more than one BH AU track in GB (iPhone SE 128GB, latest iOS).

• Is the swing ("groove") function not working for anyone else as well?Or is it a user error?