Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM hears a ghost tabla

I recorded a track through the ipad mic into AUM last night. When I listened back, I could faintly hear iTabla (and a lot of noise) playing in the background of the live track. But iTabla was not loaded into AUM, and had been shut down altogether. When I double-clicked the ipad button it did not even show up.

Comments

• Cool story, bro. ;)

But seriously, I thought headphone bleed. Maybe that?

• There was no other track anywhere to bleed from. I hadn't used iTabla at all on that piece (although I had jammed with it earlier in the evening). It came from nowhere.

• Is it IAA?
    Could be ghosting and not shutdown properly. Sometimes a reset/reboot is needed, or have to restart the ghost app and quit it again.

• edited April 2018

iTabla obviously felt left out and was jealous of NOT being used on the track and was just letting its feeling be known :D

Does iTabla have MIDI IN/OUT ports ? If it does, load AUM and see if iTabla shows in the list of midi destinations...if it does it is still loaded, this is what is known as an IAA Ghost or Zombie.....reload iTabla...then close it again should get rid of it.
    If not then restart the device.

• If you can record this, before rebooting, it would be a cool thing to drop into another mix, sometime. :) Lots if folks here would love a ghost instrument.

• There was another synth app that was causing weird ghost noises a few months back. I believe it was not quitting completely on exit as well. It may be a one-time glitch in your case though. Sometimes things randomly screw up, but not consistently.
    ITabla may be due for an update. If it keeps causing probs, there is always DrumJam.

• It's witchcraft!

• Seems to be an AUM bug. Last night I had cleared AUM and made a new session with a single mic channel, and got the ghost tabla from the previous session in addition to the mic. This morning I cleared and made a new session with Sunrizer, and was instead hearing the live mic from last night's session but no Sunrizer. I did a shut down and reboot and that cleared it up.

• edited April 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Seems to be an AUM bug. Last night I had cleared AUM and made a new session with a single mic channel, and got the ghost tabla from the previous session in addition to the mic. This morning I cleared and made a new session with Sunrizer, and was instead hearing the live mic from last night's session but no Sunrizer. I did a shut down and reboot and that cleared it up.

You do realise you can kill ghost apps using the slide to power off cancel trick right ? There’s no need for a shutdown. Just hold power till slide to power off comes on screen. When it pops up release the power button. Then press and hold home till it kicks you to main screen.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Seems to be an AUM bug. Last night I had cleared AUM and made a new session with a single mic channel, and got the ghost tabla from the previous session in addition to the mic. This morning I cleared and made a new session with Sunrizer, and was instead hearing the live mic from last night's session but no Sunrizer. I did a shut down and reboot and that cleared it up.

Sounds like you're not listening to the latest recorded files, but the old files? Note that AUM puts the recordings in folders named after the current session at the time of the recording. If you never save your session before recording, they will all end up in "Untitled". In that case, check the dates to make sure you're listening to the correct files...

And no, there's no way AUM could invisibly grab audio from another file (like a previous recording) and mix it into your current session by itself. It's fully possible to do it manually though, just add a FilePlayer that plays back such a recording, mix it together with your live input into a Mix Bus with its own channel, and record that mix.

• @j_liljedahl said:

Sounds like you're not listening to the latest recorded files, but the old files? Note that AUM puts the recordings in folders named after the current session at the time of the recording. If you never save your session before recording, they will all end up in "Untitled". In that case, check the dates to make sure you're listening to the correct files...

And no, there's no way AUM could invisibly grab audio from another file (like a previous recording) and mix it into your current session by itself. It's fully possible to do it manually though, just add a FilePlayer that plays back such a recording, mix it together with your live input into a Mix Bus with its own channel, and record that mix.

As I wrote above, I was hearing the live mic instead of Sunrizer. I wasn’t listening to files.

@j_liljedahl said:

As I wrote above, I was hearing the live mic instead of Sunrizer. I wasn’t listening to files.

You wrote "live mic from last nights session", so it must have been recorded into a file, unless you mean AUM is time-travelling? :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

You wrote "live mic from last nights session", so it must have been recorded into a file, unless you mean AUM is time-travelling? :)

The ultimate UNDO implementation :D

• I AM LIVE

I AM ALIVE

• @j_liljedahl said:

@j_liljedahl said:

No, I meant the mic is still live, even though it's not an input in AUM, and has been replaced with Sunrizer. Meanwhile, Sunrizer is silent. AUM still thinks the mic input belongs as the input on SUnrizer's channel.

@j_liljedahl said:

@j_liljedahl said:

No, I meant the mic is still live, even though it's not an input in AUM, and has been replaced with Sunrizer. Meanwhile, Sunrizer is silent. AUM still thinks the mic input belongs as the input on SUnrizer's channel.

So you have Sunrizer loaded as input in an AUM channel, but the actual signal is the live mic input? If that's the case, then Sunrizer is feeding its host (AUM in this case) the mic input. I see no way that AUM would grab the mic input instead of an IAA app (technically, it's only the hardware input nodes in AUM that grabs audio from the hardware inputs), so my guess is that it's a bug in Sunrizer that passes through the mic input instead of the correct signal. Of course, it could also be some obscure IAA bug in iOS itself, since there are a bunch of them already :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@j_liljedahl said:

So you have Sunrizer loaded as input in an AUM channel, but the actual signal is the live mic input? If that's the case, then Sunrizer is feeding its host (AUM in this case) the mic input. I see no way that AUM would grab the mic input instead of an IAA app (technically, it's only the hardware input nodes in AUM that grabs audio from the hardware inputs), so my guess is that it's a bug in Sunrizer that passes through the mic input instead of the correct signal. Of course, it could also be some obscure IAA bug in iOS itself, since there are a bunch of them already :)

I'm assuming it's an IAA bug, because prior to the ghost mic, I was getting the ghost tabla.