Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone using iSymphonic as an AU?

I've tried using iSymphonic as an AU in Auria Pro. I get the appropriately-sized screen with a little preset selector, but other than that the AU screen is completely blank. My other AU synths (Poison202 and Addictive Pro) give me a much more detailed AU screen with different parameters and such. When I loaded iSymphonic as an AU into Garageband, the screen was definitely more detailed, with an on-screen keyboard, options to change various parameters, etc. In neither instance was I able to select or alter the effect, which is kind of a main parameter in the standalone app. Has anyone here tried using iSymphonic as an AU in various DAWs, and, if so, what has your experience been?

Comments

• I use Isymphonic Oriental with Cubasis and only the presets are showing up. No blank screen, but a nice oriental picture filling the background. It lacks the extra controls like when using in standalone mode.

• I think it's odd that you can't access the reverb in the AU screen. The sound is totally dry with no way to add the iSymphonic reverb. Obviously I could use another AU or DAW 'verb, but still I find that strange.

• I agree and also expected some more controls.

• Same or even worse with iCathedral. Pretty picture, no controls whatsoever. Wrote to Crudebyte asking about the issue ten days ago. Still no reply eventhough they promise to answer back within 24 hours on their website. Hopefully they are just busy fixing it ....

• Yep, it's great in standalone and worthless as an AU.

• @DeVlaeminck said:
    Same or even worse with iCathedral. Pretty picture, no controls whatsoever. Wrote to Crudebyte asking about the issue ten days ago. Still no reply eventhough they promise to answer back within 24 hours on their website. Hopefully they are just busy fixing it ....

not same. worse. :wink:
    iCathedral au is not even remembering its state -- that makes the au absolutely useless (still a pretty picture though)

• Not quite worthless, but definitely a far cry from the standalone version. I tried recording as IAA but was getting some nasty pops and crackles in the resulting Auria track. So recording as AU, dry as a bone, and then adding the basic Auria reverb got me what I was looking for. Not as easy or well-featured as I had hoped it would be as an AU, but I suspect a lot of people would say it's better to record dry and add the reverb inside the DAW anyway.

• @Joel75 said:
    Not quite worthless, but definitely a far cry from the standalone version. I tried recording as IAA but was getting some nasty pops and crackles in the resulting Auria track. So recording as AU, dry as a bone, and then adding the basic Auria reverb got me what I was looking for. Not as easy or well-featured as I had hoped it would be as an AU, but I suspect a lot of people would say it's better to record dry and add the reverb inside the DAW anyway.

Dry i could accept, but no access to the drawbars is downright rediculous.

• Why donˋt you all use Audiobus?

• @Schimanski said:
    Why donˋt you all use Audiobus?

But we do, and IAA too and it's fabulous. But why make it AU, suggesting multiple instances if it's useless? Confident trick?

• Trying iSymphonic into Auria Pro using AudioBus was a little flaky for me. Lagging, freezing up, eventually just shutting down AB entirely. Using a 128 GB iPad Pro. Like I said previously, IAA gave me a recording full of loud clicks and pops. So recording dry as an AU, and adding effects in the DAW, worked for me.

• Sorry to hear that!Iˋm using the same setup (128GB iPad Pro,Auria Pro etc.) and I never had these issues.
    Maybe it has something to do with different buffer settings in Audiobus and AuriaPro?I always record dry and
    then add effects (reverb) in AuriaPro.For me the limit using iSymphonic as AU is 3 instances.4 instances freezes
    Auria.

• Thanks @Schimanski. I think recording dry is fine, just one extra step but then I have the flexibility of the Auria reverbs. Are you even given the option to use the iSymphonic reverb when you record into Auria Pro as an AU? Because I'm not; I HAVE to record dry.

• @Joel75 Yes,you are right.The signal is dry when you use iSymphonic as an AU.

• I didn't expect it to be a tweak machine after watching the demo videos and really do like the high quality sounds.

• It was the first time I had run an app as an AU and sort of assumed I would have the same controls in the AU screen as I have in the standalone. Or at least the important ones (like reverb). Not a huge deal though. Thanks for everyone's input! This forum is great for relative newbies like me, but I see threads that go really deep for the more advanced users. Good stuff for everyone...

• I have iSymphonic and I would like to compose and put together some music. Can anyone explain please how different midi and pages work in iSymphonic and how to put a couple of tracks together? Would it work in Cubasis or do I have to record every instrument separately as audio without the possibility of making changes?

• @Manuela said:
    I have iSymphonic and I would like to compose and put together some music. Can anyone explain please how different midi and pages work in iSymphonic and how to put a couple of tracks together? Would it work in Cubasis or do I have to record every instrument separately as audio without the possibility of making changes?

If you use AU instances in Cubasis, you can have iSymphonic on more than one track. You can setup midi in on each track separately if you need that.

If you use the IAA version, you can only have one track with iSyphonic loaded. In the app itself, you have 16 pages (like tracks), each with its own midi channel and able to hold its own preset. So you would load and setup everything in iSymphonic, and then have Midi tracks in Cubasis sending Midi on the correct channel to the correct page in iSymphonic.

Now, if you choose AU, you can freeze the iSymphonic tracks to individual Audio tracks very easily, but to record the Audio of the IAA version, all pages would record to one track in Cubasis. To get separate audio tracks from the IAA version, you would have solo and record each, one at a time.

Not sure if this answered all of your questions, so post follow-up questions if you are still stuck on something.

• I use it in aum and dont mind not having the reverb on it. It would be nice to have some bit better preset list tho. But the nice thing about it is that it can be resized to very small block on some corner.

• Thank you CracklePot.

With IAA, do you mena just to record MIDI in Cubasis with any instrument and have isymphnic correct channel as routing out? how can I send it to isymphonic when I have this setup? I don't know yet how the routing works. What should be in the input and what in output. I have to read up on that.

With AU, I am not sure how to record audio actually. I was thinking midi for now. I will have to watch more videos how to change MIDI to audio. If all MIDI tracks are set in time and play together well then it would be great to have it as 1 track audio I guess.