Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nano 2 and other myths

Hi

It’s been years since we was promised Nano Studio 2

Last I hear we was promised the app in dec last year. Now it’s april ffs

Anyone have any intel? The dev is silent on his forum

I wonder if he is a wind up merchant, just posting dummy grafic designs on his site

Highly annoyed coz I love the original app but I need buy a new device and the only option is gadget for newer devises . I don’t like GarageBand

I like gadget but it costs plenty quids to keep the newer gadgets flowing

Please any info? And what other myths are waiting to become realaty that have ticked u off

Peace

Comments

• Stuff just happens in real life to devs. I’ve never known a dev to deliberately ‘wind up’ people.

The most likely thing for a dev being quiet is either:

1. Working hard on product.
    2. Not well and unable to communicate.
    3. Life has dealt them one of its shitty cards.
  • The latest the developer posted about NS2 about 2 weeks ago:

"Hello it's me, still here!

I find myself somewhat caught between a rock and a hard place. If I post about progress, it potentially stirs up publicity about something which still isn't ready, which doesn't really help anyone (and I include myself in that!). If I don't post, it's tumbleweeds and I probably look like a grumpy git. The tumbleweeds are easily handled with a dustpan and brush, but the truth is that I am a grumpy git at the moment because I still haven't got this damn thing finished!

Since I missed my December deadline I've had to chill out a bit and slow down because I was working at an unsustainable pace which would have been impossible to keep up. I can seen that this will no doubt result in a better initial app - prior to December I was chucking in features at a high rate, but having a graze before the final hurdle (that's some sort of weird mixed horse-based metaphor I've just made up) has provided time to make it all feel a bit more mature and coherent.

I'm still going to keep quiet on an ETA because all my ETAs are complete and utter crap (just check my past history if you don't believe me).

I am wiling to say that nothing exciting's going to happen in the next couple of months.

On the brightside, er ... I haven't shared anyone's data with Facebook or some dodgy analytics company. So basically I can console myself with the fact that in terms of tech industry woes, I'm probably having a better time of it than Zuckerberg right now :)"

• edited April 2018

Also there were some announcements about some sample libraries coming to iOS some months ago...or even 1-2 years ago. But for some reason it never happend and no word of it anymore. Maybe cancelled?
    F.e. there was an announcement this would come on iOS on the product page, but it never did and no word about iOS now anymore: http://www.psound.it/vintage_accordion.html
    There were a few others as well (like my often mentioned favorite synth P900). Not sure if the developers decided otherwise or an iOS port was not so easy at the end or the market didn´t do it.
    Sometimes things happens.
    I´m also not sure about NS2 anymore. I just want the Obsidian synth and the distortion/saturation FX :)

• I think back around the beginning of the year he said it was nearly finished, but still months away from being ready. I think he said he didn’t want to give a specific estimate,.
    I think he must be busy working on it, or otherwise preoccupied, but I really doubt he would bail on it altogether. I really hope not, anyway.

This is all stuff I read here in the forum. The people posting the intel seemed to have direct contact with the developer. I am looking forward to checking it out eventually, but honestly I have plenty to play with until then.

• Delivering big, complex projects single-handed is just insanely hard, and it's human nature to always underestimate how long things are likely to take, even if you're experienced. So unless you've ever been in the position of creating something as complex as NS2 yourself, give the dev some slack, it will come in time.

• @richardyot said:
    Delivering big, complex projects single-handed is just insanely hard, and it's human nature to always underestimate how long things are likely to take, even if you're experienced. So unless you've ever been in the position of creating something as complex as NS2 yourself, give the dev some slack, it will come in time.

Yep, given the dev slack , 2.5 yirs of slack

Point is that you shuldnt make promices and announce deadlines TWICE then fael to deliver . Just not professional

I think a cool policy to have is not announce plans and supryse people’s

Two and half years is a looooong time even for a daw

• @skattabraynesmith said:

@richardyot said:
    Delivering big, complex projects single-handed is just insanely hard, and it's human nature to always underestimate how long things are likely to take, even if you're experienced. So unless you've ever been in the position of creating something as complex as NS2 yourself, give the dev some slack, it will come in time.

Point is that you shuldnt make promices and announce deadlines TWICE then fael to deliver . Just not professional

Two and a half years for a daw isn’t very long when you’re the only one working on it.

Don’t be too hard on the dev, he tried to answer timeframe questions and underestimated. As he says in his statement he’s been working too hard and needs to slow the pace.

I’m sure you would prefer a product in a few months that is more polished and has very few bugs over a buggy mess that arrives tomorrow. That wouldn’t do the dev’s credentials any good either.

• I feel sorry for the guy. Nanostudio was groundbreaking when it was released so he has a HUGE weight of expectation on his shoulders for the sequel

• @BiancaNeve said:
    I feel sorry for the guy. Nanostudio was groundbreaking when it was released so he has a HUGE weight of expectation on his shoulders for the sequel

Yeah wouldn’t want to be in that situation myself!

• Better time than Zuck: This is what counts.
    ;-)

• question: what are we expecting in ns2 that bm3 doesn't have?

• @Suboidua said:
    question: what are we expecting in ns2 that bm3 doesn't have?

Better FX, a fantastic and versatile synth.
    From the demo i heard it already is miles ahead (in my opinion).
    For only sample use BM3 might be the better choice.

• edited April 2018

My only criticism of Blip would be that he really should’ve diversified the workflow by hiring on a couple other developers to speed up the process and deliver NS2 in time for xmas 2017. Then again, hiring costs money and I’m unsure how Blip makes an income outside of Nanostudio.

I can’t be too hard on the guy really, because NS2 is his passion project, and I feel that he’ll see it through to the end no matter how long it takes.

@skattabraynesmith said:

You should weawy wearn to spell you words, b-b-be-because y-you make yousewf wook wike you’re fouw years owd. :smirk: Seriously though mate, it’s hard to take anyone seriously when they appear too lazy to bother spell checking their words before posting.

• edited April 2018

The thing is if you doesn´t talk about a project customers thinking you are done with everything maybe.
    Otherwise if you try to please them but can´t hold your "deadlines" people are also crying.
    This indeed happens also a lot in pro music software. So it´s not unusual.
    Even to develop a single synth can take years. Now think about a whole little DAW.

• @Suboidua said:

For me it's workflow and the MIDI editor. The original NanoStudio still has the best MIDI editor of any iOS app out there. The ease of use and manipulating notes, automation and patterns is, IMO, unparalleled. To get that in a new version with an extremely powerful looking synth, better fx and the ability to use AUv3 is worth waiting for.

• @peanut_gallery said:

@Suboidua said:

For me it's workflow and the MIDI editor. The original NanoStudio still has the best MIDI editor of any iOS app out there. The ease of use and manipulating notes, automation and patterns is, IMO, unparalleled. To get that in a new version with an extremely powerful looking synth, better fx and the ability to use AUv3 is worth waiting for.

This. It´s still the best workflow for a small as well a bigger touch screen.
    Just....damn iOS 11. But it still works on the latest macOS.

• edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2018

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    My only criticism of Blip would be that he really should’ve diversified the workflow by hiring on a couple other developers to speed up the process and deliver NS2 invtime for xmas 2017. Then again, hiring costs money and I’m unsure how Blip makes an income outside of Nanostudio.

I can’t be too hard on the guy really, because NS2 is his passion project, and I feel that he’ll see it through to the end no matter how long it takes.

I've respect for the developer and I'm not worried about NS2's release date. It would have been ideal if Blip just recompiled NS1 for iOS 11 and uploaded it to the AppStore instead of abandoning it. It does not work on iOS 11 now. Even though its UI looks dated, they could have still gotten some new sales out of it if they just recompiled it for iOS 11. Recompiling should not be a major task as most apps have upgraded to iOS 11 (unless there was a reason mentioned by them for not doing so that I'm not aware of).

• He did indicate on the NS forum at some point last year that because NS1 was so hyper optimized for 32 bit, it would in fact be very labor intensive to recompile. I don't understand code/dev matters at all but this is the gist I remember.

• I agree
    Might of been time consuming but nanostudio1 was really well made, should of carried it to ios11.
    Anyway am sure it will arrive at some point....
    And will be worth the wait
    Back in the day I craved for nano2 and bm2, but now things have moved so far so quickly, that when it does land I will buy it to support blip, but it might not fit into my work flow.
    Enjoy what apps you've got, and at some point nano2 will appear

• @Suboidua said:

MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI

Did I mention MIDI?

BM3 is mostly a Sampler and I have nearly zero interest in samples.

At least not until I'm ready to mix and then I would probably use Auria Pro to continue.

• @tja said:

@Suboidua said:

MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI

Did I mention MIDI?

At least not until I'm ready to mix and then I would probably use Auria Pro to continue.

BM3 does have Midi, though. I guess maybe you don’t like the way it is implemented in BM3?

I love free samples. I get the best free samples from the local organic ice cream shop. :)

• BM2's piano roll was often criticised as being a copy of NS1's piano roll. It's a bit ironic (IMHO, of course) that BM2's piano roll was superior to BM3's piano roll.

• Nanostudio 2 is still coming out. It's shaping up to look amazing too. Matt has been working on this thing alone and never said a definite answer on when.

Forum people would pester him for a guess and he'd finally say something "I dunno but I'd like to have it out by the new year". As someone who does a lot of projects from start to finish alone I can tell you that projects have a way of getting away from you. Also sticking to a schedule you GUESSED at (never gave any definite dates, that's mostly fan hype) because it's "professional" and releasing half done half assed software is asinine. I want a good app not to impress a few chronologically uptight people

• @tja said:

@Suboidua said:

MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI

Did I mention MIDI?

The sampler is a part of BM3, It is not mostly a sampler at all, your never ending misposts about Beatmaker make it seem like you have never even used it, do you have some strange unwritten motive for posting that it cant do things that it actually does very easily ?

• @Purpan said:
    BM2's piano roll was often criticised as being a copy of NS1's piano roll. It's a bit ironic (IMHO, of course) that BM2's piano roll was superior to BM3's piano roll.

:)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    My only criticism of Blip would be that he really should’ve diversified the workflow by hiring on a couple other developers to speed up the process and deliver NS2 in time for xmas 2017. Then again, hiring costs money and I’m unsure how Blip makes an income outside of Nanostudio.

@skattabraynesmith said:

You should weawy wearn to spell you words, b-b-be-because y-you make yousewf wook wike you’re fouw years owd. :smirk: Seriously though mate, it’s hard to take anyone seriously when they appear too lazy to bother spell checking their words before posting.

Insensitive twat

• edited April 2018

I learned a long time ago while waiting the Ultra 64 aka the Nintendo 64 in 5th-6th grade never to trust software developers’ ETAs. It was a valuable lesson that has saved me much grief and empty anticipation since then.

• Did Santa promise you a new toy? :) It's one guy working on a big app. He owes you something?

A clue to the situation is that NanoStudio is like 2 bucks. There's no development team. There was never any guarantee of anything. Why put your life on hold? If you can't afford anything else, learn to like GarageBand. It's really pretty cool and for free. Then, if and when NS 2 is available, you can carry on with that.

• @skattabraynesmith said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@skattabraynesmith said:

Insensitive twat

The same could be said of you, really. Blip TRIED to get NS2 done in time for the holidays, but he hit the point where he was near a breakdown from the insurmountable pressure, sacrificing time with his family, etc. Blip’s mental health should be taken into consideration too after all.

I mean, look at it from my point of view. This discussion (where you accused Blip of being a “wind up merchant”) was your very first post here in these forums. The self-entitled whinging I responded to was your second post. Your third post was in reply to me. I had no clue you were Dyslexic, so I’m sorry I took a jab at the spelling errors. You need to realise though that joining a forum just to start whinging about something leaves a pretty bad first impression.