Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Secrets of GeoShred Palm Mute - Part 2

As a guitarist, and a fan of the palm muting right hand picking sound, as exemplified by everyone from Les Paul to Al DiMeola, I was immediately attracted to GeoShred’s “Palm Mute” feature. It is a rare sound for iPad synths, and it sounds great in GeoShred, but I found the feature lacking in a couple of areas.

The first was that you have to hold the onscreen slider in position to invoke the effect, tying up one of your hands, which could be put to better use doing other things in the app. In Part 1 of this series, I revealed the secret tip shared with me by the good folks at MoForte on how to turn the Palm Mute slider into a “Sticky Palm Mute” slider that holds its setting. See this link for the details on how to set that up (scroll to the end there for the tip):

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/20815/geoshred-palm-mute#latest

This brings us to Part Two. The other problem for me about Palm Mute in GeoShred is that it is uneven across the note range. That is, you find a setting that sounds good on low notes (nice and clunky) but then the high notes turn into a short click that lose almost all of their definition as a pitched note.

Fortunately, GeoShred has a way to address this! First, you need to set up Sticky Palm Mute, as described in Part 1. Next you go to Edit->Control Surface, and tap on the green plus sign where it says Key Number:

Tap the Plus sign to assign a controller:

Then go to Guitar->Strings->Material and you will see a screen with a Material /Key Number graph on the left:

You can then drag with your finger to create a different response curve. I find something like this works well:

This gives me nice chunky notes in the low range, and yet high notes that still have some pitch tonality.
Experiment to taste.

That’s your Geoshred Hot Tip for the day.

Enjoy!

LadyApp

Comments

• Geoshred is incredibly deep. I have yet to play with the response curves. Thanks for the tips.

• The problem I've found with GeoShred is that I like playing it too much. I don't spend enough time looking under the hood. Thank you LadyApp, this is a great tip, and the images make it nice and clear.

• @lovadamusic said:
    The problem I've found with GeoShred is that I like playing it too much. I don't spend enough time looking under the hood. Thank you LadyApp, this is a great tip, and the images make it nice and clear.

Ha! That’s not a bad problem to have, @lovadamusic!

Yes, these are deep level secrets that I would have never known about without the help of the programmers at MoForte themselves. I am a huge fan of both the products and the company!

• edited April 2018

In honor of this tip, and for Palm Mute inspiration, enjoy this classic from the great Les Paul himself (palm mute starts about 1 min). This would be fun to try to recreate with GeoShred :p :

• Lady App_titude! Thanks for sharing this tip. That's really a good one!