Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Running IOS11 on a Mini2 and Air1 (Update: works great)

I have yet to update my beautiful little mini2... should I? Would love the new AUv3 midi stuff and Files... I am not even holding on to any legacy apps.

So anyone do it? Performance OK?

Comments

• If it’s a secondary device to something better you have, I wouldn’t do it...but that’s just me! I have the first iPad mini and I wish I had never updated it to iOS 9! After buying my iPad Pro, sometimes I wish I’d never updated my Air 2 to iOS 11! My Air 2 used to be awesome! Not so much now.... It’s really tough to say, I don’t have a mini2. But if you’re not holding on...go for it! Or like the kids say these days...YOLO! :lol:

• @Scottzilla82 said:
    If it’s a secondary device to something better you have, I wouldn’t do it...but that’s just me! I have the first iPad mini and I wish I had never updated it to iOS 9! After buying my iPad Pro, sometimes I wish I’d never updated my Air 2 to iOS 11! My Air 2 used to be awesome! Not so much now....

hmmm, well my main ipad is a 2017 and i also have an Air1. My Air1 felt really sluggish after I used my 2017 ipad for a month... and I didnt even update it’s OS. Maybe it was feeling neglected and depressed. ;)

• edited April 2018

@AudioGus said:
    hmmm, well my main ipad is a 2017 and i also have an Air1. My Air1 felt really sluggish after I used my 2017 ipad for a month... and I didnt even update it’s OS. Maybe it was feeling neglected and depressed. ;)

Neglected and depressed..... Maybe that’s what my Air 2 felt when a brand new 12" Pro slipped into its place as Top Dogg... :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh man...can’t believe I just typed that! :warning:

Honestly my Air 2 seems to go through its battery life 10x faster, among other latency slowdowns after updating to iOS 11... but that’s just my experience.

• Both my Mini 2s run better with every version of IOS 11 so far.

• I wouldn’t do it. I’m keeping my mini2 on iOS 10.

• I agree with @Scottzilla82
    My, admittedly limited, experience since iOS 8 has seen more disappointment with trailing edge equipment and version upgrades.
    Much as Id love to be on iOS11 so I can use Files and the clever Brambos Rozetta stuff and get some of the latest updates/app that are restricted to iOS 11, my Mini 2 and my Air 2 are staying on 10.3.3. Limitations can be very creative Ive heard, so if I need iOS 11 Ill go pro.

• @Samplemunch said:
    Both my Mini 2s run better with every version of IOS 11 so far.

Cool, thanks, that is certainly a compelling endorsement.

• If I do take the leap is there anything specific you mini2 pre11 folks would want me to test before/after?

• @AudioGus said:
    If I do take the leap is there anything specific you mini2 pre11 folks would want me to test before/after?

Hi, in case u haven’t updated, I recommend staying on ios10 on your mini2. I have a mini2 (ios10) & iPad Pro2(ios11), & while I love Rozeta & using the Apple Pencil, etc - the general smoothness/daily use is nowhere near as good. To give an example, my iPad mini2 smokes the iPad Pro2 when onscreen typing! HST, iOS 12 could be fixing the general bugginess of ios11..

I’m very interested to see how you feel about the day to day use of browsing, typing, etc

• edited April 2018

@gdog said:

@AudioGus said:
    If I do take the leap is there anything specific you mini2 pre11 folks would want me to test before/after?

Hi, in case u haven’t updated, I recommend staying on ios10 on your mini2. I have a mini2 (ios10) & iPad Pro2(ios11), & while I love Rozeta & using the Apple Pencil, etc - the general smoothness/daily use is nowhere near as good. To give an example, my iPad mini2 smokes the iPad Pro2 when onscreen typing! HST, iOS 12 could be fixing the general bugginess of ios11..

I’m very interested to see how you feel about the day to day use of browsing, typing, etc

Hmm, my 2017 iPad on ios11 is better than my Mini2 on ios10 in every way except for fitting in my jacket pocket.

• @AudioGus Like @gdog the worst thing for me was general/ordinary task slowdown, web browsing, typing, app switching. It wasnt so obvious with audio apps but I use my ipad for everything so I guess if you only use your iOS device for music related apps I might say go for it.
    Let us know about how app switching and web browsing and opening notes and typing, copy and paste etc change before and after, please. Im happy to eat my hat!

• @AudioGus said:
    Hmm, my 2017 iPad on ios11 is better than my Mini2 on ios10 in every way except for fitting in my jacket pocket.

You can fit an iPad mini in your jacket pocket!? ;)

• @Richtowns said:
    @AudioGus Like @gdog the worst thing for me was general/ordinary task slowdown, web browsing, typing, app switching. It wasnt so obvious with audio apps but I use my ipad for everything so I guess if you only use your iOS device for music related apps I might say go for it.
    Let us know about how app switching and web browsing and opening notes and typing, copy and paste etc change before and after, please. Im happy to eat my hat!

I don’t think gdog ran ios11 on the mini2 though.

• @gdog said:

@AudioGus said:

You can fit an iPad mini in your jacket pocket!? ;)

Yes, I model ugly Gortex jackets for a living.

• Godspeed little buddy!

• @AudioGus said:
    Godspeed little buddy!

Really curious to hear the outcome. I have a Mini 2 and Air 1 still on 10.3.3.

• My workhorse mini 2 is still going strong and seems to be running fine with the lastest iOS but time will tell.....maybe it will keep ticking and take a licking
    Sometimes I wish for a larger screen and more horsepower but I’m happy

• edited April 2018

So, it has been an hour with the ipad mini2 on iOS11. The results...

1.) Auv3 midi in Cubasis checks out running Zeeon. No problems.

2.) ‘Files’ works great.

3.). Typing in Notes, just fine as ever. Smooth!

4.) Browsing in Safari, seems normal.

5.) Typing/selecting/copy/pasting text in Safari, complete dogshit. OH Apple. For shame.

EDIT: so ok, it may take a few hours to index stuff on your ipad but once it does, super fast for me anyway. :heart:

• easy get a 12.9 pro and a sleeping bag in that pocket. get the tent and a launchpad in the other

• @mrcanister said:
    easy get a 12.9 pro and a sleeping bag in that pocket. get the tent and a launchpad in the other

Hehe, a tent would be redundant

• @AudioGus said:

2.) ‘Files’ works great.

5.) Typing/selecting/copy/pasting text in Safari, complete dogshit. OH Apple. For shame.

So the experiment was a success? Or does #5 erase any advantages?

• For me it does Im afraid!
    It is quite amazing how all the complicated things run well and really easy things go slow. Apple has a special skill it this! Thanks for taking one for the team @AudioGus

• edited April 2018

@bigcatrik said:

@AudioGus said:

2.) ‘Files’ works great.

So the experiment was a success? Or does #5 erase any advantages?

For me it is a sucess for what I mostly use it for. I tend not to enjoy typing on the mini sized screen anyway. ‘Files’ was the real biggee for me with Rozeta a nice perk.

EDIT: deleted something about burning a bag of dogshit on Apple’s doorstep.

• edited April 2018

• @AudioGus In some earlier threads on this subject I seem to remember that a lot of indexing of files occurrs in the background straight after the ios 11 upgrade, especially if you have lots of photos.
    I hope that the problems you experience with typing will go away after two days after all the indexing calms down. Fingers crossed.
    Keep us posted, please.

• edited April 2018

@Richtowns said:
    @AudioGus In some earlier threads on this subject I seem to remember that a lot of indexing of files occurrs in the background straight after the ios 11 upgrade, especially if you have lots of photos.
    I hope that the problems you experience with typing will go away after two days after all the indexing calms down. Fingers crossed.
    Keep us posted, please.

Hmmm, interesting, I will certainly see if it settles down, thanks!

• Hah! Super fast now! As fast as it ever was. Very nice.

100% SUCCESS with ZERO REGRETS.

• @bigcatrik said:

@AudioGus said:
    Godspeed little buddy!

Really curious to hear the outcome. I have a Mini 2 and Air 1 still on 10.3.3.

I say go for it. Just be patient during the post update, under the hood 'indexing' stage that may temporarily mess up your typing. I will do my Air1 in the morn. :)

• I say go for it. Just be patient during the post update, under the hood 'indexing' stage that may temporarily mess up your typing. I will do my Air1 in the morn. :)

Thanks and please continue to keep us posted...

• @AudioGus said:

I don’t think gdog ran ios11 on the mini2 though.

No, I don’t :) I’m very happy to see you’re enjoying your new ios11 powered mini2! Enjoy Rozeta! :)