Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ravenscroft 275 Piano Glitches

This piano has a very nice sound but still has a few glitches that need fixing. I was wondering if anybody else who has this piano is having the same problems.
Periodically there is a crackle that I think is probably the reloading of samples. It is the same sound you can hear when you go into options and choose a different sample rate/audio buffer and samples are forced to reload. So it seems as you play you run out of -loaded samples and when it refreshes a crackle sound is heard. This happens around every 40 seconds or so - depending on the settings chosen. It makes no difference whether you use the iPad/iPhone headphone jack or an audio interface that by-passes the iOS DAC.
If UVI are listening then first - thanks for the recent update - the sounds are a whole lot better and arguably the best piano sound available on iOS, BUT the above problem (along with adding Prevent Screen Lock and restoring the midi volume control) are necessary to bring this piano into the professional league.

Comments

• @Reuben said:
    This piano has a very nice sound but still has a few glitches that need fixing. I was wondering if anybody else who has this piano is having the same problems.
    Periodically there is a crackle that I think is probably the reloading of samples. It is the same sound you can hear when you go into options and choose a different sample rate/audio buffer and samples are forced to reload. So it seems as you play you run out of -loaded samples and when it refreshes a crackle sound is heard. This happens around every 40 seconds or so - depending on the settings chosen. It makes no difference whether you use the iPad/iPhone headphone jack or an audio interface that by-passes the iOS DAC.
    If UVI are listening then first - thanks for the recent update - the sounds are a whole lot better and arguably the best piano sound available on iOS, BUT the above problem (along with adding Prevent Screen Lock and restoring the midi volume control) are necessary to bring this piano into the professional league.

I've never had any crackles or note drop-outs, but I have ipad pro 10.5 so I am sure the extra RAM helps out a ton.

• That might be it. I've tried iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2 - both have 2gb RAM. No problems at all with latency or overall sound quality - just that annoying crackle occasionaly.

• I've noticed the crackles as well, only after the last update though. I'll write a note to UVI about it.

• I have had the same crackles on my ipad mini 2 ever since I purchased the app. I haven't played around with the new update too much but I noticed it was still there. The crackles are exactly as Reuben mentions. Also, it doesn't matter the latency you choose, they continue. I thought by lowering the latency they would be minimized or eliminated since the mini 2 has less ram but it is pretty much the same across all settings. Where can I contact UVI to let them know of this situation? Do they have a support website?

• Just like the others, I experience these crackles on my iPad air 2 and my Iphone 6. it is not too bad, but it is a bit annoying. Strange that UVI still hasn't fixed the issue...
    Also strange is that while the product is available for many months now, it is not rated in the app store.

Now I'm curious...my employer is going to replace my iPhone, I'll get an iPhone 8 instead. Let's wait and see if the crackling sound has disappeared.

• You can contact them using the appstore. Search for the app and then click 'appsupport'. You then can fill in a form (I just did). They promise to reply, let's see if that is true.

@Grobles87 said:
    I have had the same crackles on my ipad mini 2 ever since I purchased the app. I haven't played around with the new update too much but I noticed it was still there. The crackles are exactly as Reuben mentions. Also, it doesn't matter the latency you choose, they continue. I thought by lowering the latency they would be minimized or eliminated since the mini 2 has less ram but it is pretty much the same across all settings. Where can I contact UVI to let them know of this situation? Do they have a support website?

• Just leave a negative review - that will get their attention....

• @richardyot said:
    Just leave a negative review - that will get their attention....

Nah, let’s ask politely first

• Gigged with it every week since it first came out - no crackles or problems ever ;-)
    12’ pro ipad

• edited April 2018

@rhaley said:
    Gigged with it every week since it first came out - no crackles or problems ever ;-)
    12’ pro ipad

12.9” Pro (2nd gen) and I’ve had crackles with it every time it’s opened.

Lowering the sampler bufffer can help a little, though do seem to get the crackling on all of the settings.

• @rhaley said:
    Gigged with it every week since it first came out - no crackles or problems ever ;-)
    12’ pro ipad

I use 256 buffer size

• edited April 2018

I’ll test - haven’t noticed but I’m not pushing hard (air 2)
    I’m on the beta so I’ll reach out to UVI

• iPad Pro 10.5. Have ravenscroft and literally a dozen other plugs open in AUM. No crackles. Use it for gigs every week. However, last summer everything crackled with iOS 11 beta.

• Works well on my 2017 iPad running iOS 11. Sample rate at 48KHz and buffer at 256. However on my Air 2, the same settings do result in occasional crackles. Try a 44KHz sample rate - with the Air 2 I then have no problems.

• Too bad, the iPhone 8 does not have a separate headphone output, only lightning!
    So it’s either the midi interface or the headphone that I can connect. Not simultaneously 🤬

• @HuibvanMierlo said:
    Too bad, the iPhone 8 does not have a separate headphone output, only lightning!
    So it’s either the midi interface or the headphone that I can connect. Not simultaneously 🤬

Yup, but hey you can just play on those tiny keys! Or imagine the music as you play on your MIDI keyboard. It just works!

• edited April 2018

I received an email back for UVI:

“Can you please try reducing the Polyphony amount in Preferences or increase the audio buffer size to see if this solves your issue ?”

Changing these values did not improve anything.

• edited April 2018

I have a first gen iPad Pro, and Ravenscroft loaded as an AU in Cubasis used to always crackle for me, but then the recent Cubasis update actually fixed it for me - no more crackles (I am using realtime mixdown when I freeze tracks). It seems like these updates fix things for some people, and then break things for other people who didn't have a problem before.

I'm looking forward to the day when IOS, the AU apps, and the DAWs all work together without glitches. It seems like everyone has a unique puzzle to solve based on what device they are using, and we all have have to try multiple settings to get the sounds recording properly. There just doesn't seem to ever be a "one size fits all" update for any of this software. I'm still thankful for it though. It allows me to work a full time job and compose music during my breaks. It'll get better eventually.

• I am running into this again.

A buffer of 256 frames is too low, only at 512 frame the cracklings go away.

This is disappointing, to be honest.

• edited September 2018

@tja said:
    I am running into this again.

A buffer of 256 frames is too low, only at 512 frame the cracklings go away.

This is disappointing, to be honest.

Have you tried my odd Dubstation 2 workaround?
    That works, just load DS2 on a blank track without even using it, and no RS275 crackles. The piano is also crackle free in GarageBand.

My short illustration video:

• @Janosax Very interesting, many thanks!

Does that also work with AudioBus or AUM?
    I own apeMatrix but did not use it yet.

• @tja said:
    @Janosax Very interesting, many thanks!

Does that also work with AudioBus or AUM?
    I own apeMatrix but did not use it yet.

Yes that works with all of them ;)

• @Reuben said:

yes it has the odd crackle....especially when using with other IOS midi apps..... not so much when using standalone

.. anyways after all my trials.. for me Korg Module works the best ...rock steady , great presets and great in-apps ( but no auv3)

mix that with gadget and you get awesome layering ( never any pops for me)

also regarding pops/crackles I never mailed UVI .. their response rate with my beat hawk queries was really really slow .. so I did not pursue further

• edited September 2018

@hisdudeness said:

@Reuben said:

yes it has the odd crackle....especially when using with other IOS midi apps..... not so much when using standalone

.. anyways after all my trials.. for me Korg Module works the best ...rock steady , great presets and great in-apps ( but no auv3)

mix that with gadget and you get awesome layering ( never any pops for me)

also regarding pops/crackles I never mailed UVI .. their response rate with my beat hawk queries was really really slow .. so I did not pursue further

Some of us sent them mails a few months ago after lot of issues with a BeatHawk update. Some have been fixed, but most remain. I personnaly gaved up.

• Beside the Salamander from Auria Pro, Ravenscroft and the Acoustic Grand from BeatHawk are the best Pianos available for iOS, as is the Colossus.

So, the two UVI Pianos are your best bet, as being also usable as AU.

When they do not work properly, iOS is at a loss!
    So we would better get UVI to fix things.

@Janosax The Dubstation 2 got an update, did you check if your workaround does still works? I did not upgrade to be sure :)

• @tja said:
    Beside the Salamander from Auria Pro, Ravenscroft and the Acoustic Grand from BeatHawk are the best Pianos available for iOS, as is the Colossus.

So, the two UVI Pianos are your best bet, as being also usable as AU.

When they do not work properly, iOS is at a loss!
    So we would better get UVI to fix things.

@Janosax The Dubstation 2 got an update, did you check if your workaround does still works? I did not upgrade to be sure :)

I haven’t checked yet, will do ASAP.

• I wrote to technical support of UVI, pointing at this topic.

• tjatja
    edited September 2018

Trying to reproduce the crackles and to test Dubstation 2 as a fix, i also repeatable could get Ravenscroft to hang as AU!

It did not crash, but just stopped producing sound at all.

The way is simple: Just feeding lots of MIDI notes in a short time, using Xequence in AudioBus to Ravenscroft in AUM, using the legato mode and just drawing circles on the Xequence keyboard.

• Yes all of this should have been fixed since a long time...

• Using OmniStat, i tracked the crackling to be CPU based.

I used the standard buffer size of 256. I hear that people playing live even need lower latency.

Also, if Ravenscroft stops producing sound, this can only be fixed by restarting the host, AUM. After that, it produces sound again in AUM.

But:

It still cannot produce sound from Xequence, which is hosted in AudioBus!
    I tried to restart Xequence, but that did not help.

Then tried to use the MidiFlow keyboard, but it also could not send MIDI anymore to AUM / Ravenscroft!

I am at the latest AudioBus beta and there was a problem already to send MIDI to AUM, may this be something similar @Michael