Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Closest iOS synth to NI Massive (in both functionality and UI)

Hey all,

I've been looking up synth recipe cookbooks for sounds I want to make (mainly witch house/reese/hoover and burial-style basses) and the vast majority of them on youtube use Massive.

Something like Magellan is a three oscillator synth and functionally I believe it isn't any different (but have never used Massive, so I speak from a place of ignorance)

Is there a particular iOS synth you'd say is "closest"?
Also, I mainly produce in Gadget so some of it is moot - but I know you can share user presets. Is there a library going for them now?

I have been told you can get some big fat huge bass from Viking but haven't had much luck with it.

Anyone who can share some education, I promise your wisdom will be applied to sheer awesomeness!

Comments

• Might not be exactly what you’re looking for but 5pinlink has made some very cool Reese/neuro and other style synths for use in BM3 over at the BM3 forum.

• I’ve just been trying to make some nice rich ‘Burial’ style reese bass.

I’ve found the best result so far from using Lisbon actually. Use a Saw, and then dial the ‘diffuse’ up until it starts sounding like a reese bass (the oscillators start detuning against each other). Low pass filter heavily, with resolution set to taste. Use envelope 1 if you want modulate the filter a bit during the duration of each note.

Then you can flip over to the fx page and try things like drive, chorus (maybe even phaser) and reverb to give it more character. I’m pretty happy with the result.

You can also get something more basic out of Dublin - but it’s monophonic so it clicks a bit when you change notes.

You can get something similar out of Pheonix and it doesn’t have the monophonic problem, but it didn’t sound as meaty and powerful to me as Lisbon.

Finally I tried Mono/Poly inside Gadget and I’m sure it’s possble to get great reese sounds out of this. However in the end I ran out of time fiddling and decided I was happyiest with what I was hearing from Lisbon (possibly due to the way it’s ‘diffuse’ setting is working -which I don’t fully understand but it sounds good!).

Reading up on Burial the other approach would be to use Vancouver and try using two identical looping samples of something like a pitched down bell or cello or whatever, then defune them slightly and use an insert filter to kill the highs and mids. But I haven’t tried this and I find getting the loop points to work without a click every time it loops to be tricky (pretty impossible inside Gadget - maybe possible in something else before importing).

• ... oh and if you just want a preset, there’s a couple of decent reese presets that come with Thor (which is very capable in these matters).

And there’ll be others in X3ta and Sunriser I’m sure.

• I agree with @Matt_Fletcher_2000. After googling "reese bass" — there's little EDM discussion under the rock where I live — I was like, Oh, I stumble on these basses in Gadget all the time.

And for those like me who didn't know, this seems to be the rather humble origin of the influential reese bass:

• Sorry but there is nothing like massive on iOS. Especially for the fast and easy and crazy modulation options.
    I do wish N.I. would release a Massive 2.0.
    You might get similar sounds with some synths but there is not one with such a workflow. It´s even still kind of unique in the desktop world (even when there are a few similar synths today).

• Agree with @Cib about the lack of a comparable Massive on iOS. But Zeeon is capable of producing some great Reese / Burial basses. Here’s a starting point recipe.

• Is Cyclops the closest to Massive on iOS?

• Disagree, @Cib: FabFilter Twin 2 is THE direct competitor to NI Massive in the Desktop and the iOS port is identical to the PC version, so that would be my recommendation. IMO, Twin 2 has better filters - much less aliasing than Massive (still has some aliasing, though). On the other hand, Massive has an extra oscilator, with comes in handy.

• Really cool Thread... looking for neuro kinda bass sound synth too.
    I have some really amazing Thor presets from loopmasters. Works flawless

DRC has some really beasty presets of basses and that kind of stuff...

I discovered microTERA from virsyn, you can actually modulate like crazy with this and get sort of neuro basses out of it

And @brice is right: zeeon is incredible for Reese. Wow got my best Reese with this synth! Yeah!

Upcoming Synthmaster one could be a gray one for DnB too.

So exited where this thread will lead us.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Is Cyclops the closest to Massive on iOS?

I was thinking the same!

• Massive is a hybrid (tweakable like a subtractive VA: w/filters) 3 osc wavetable synth that allows you to morph between oscillators...Thor is like this, Z3ta, Tera and Infinity too I spoze. But that tech isn’t necessary for reese, as the suggestions above indicate. Might be interesting to do a web/YouTube search “how to make reese or neuro bass”. I’m sure Computer Music mag has done a feature, and video

• Lots of modulation options with cyclop but the oscillators are pretty lame. Cyclop I feel is all modulation and distortion but no depth to the synth engine. Maybe I feel like this because I just can’t get on with it.

• In terms of making Massive-like sounds, I believe Synthmaster One will be your best bet when it comes out. But I suspect it will be harder to program than Massive.

IMHO what makes Massive great is:

1) You can select from dozens of basic, analog/electric, digital/hybrid, and FX/Chords to use as the basis for your three oscillators.
    2) a powerful modulation matrix, with a super easy to use UI Very easy for people to program.

To my knowledge the only thing on iOS that has #1 is Synthmaster One.

As for #2, Synthmaster One, Zeeon, Nave, and ODYSSEi have great modulation matrices. I'm sure there are many others.
    Are they as easy to use as Massive? That's debatable. But you can get big, complex sounds out of using them.

• I thought Zed synth was the closest to Massive with its clever/ complicated modulation of buttons. Wavetables and subtractive and clever mod matrix was Z3ta, hope we get her back.
    Id love to see NI Massive on iOS eh!
    Synthmaster soon!

• edited April 2018

no vote for thor?
    Synthmaster One is very good, no question, but the iOS version has very limited editing.
    thor has many different kinds of oscillators including a good choice of wavetables, great filters, great modulation matrix and a well-done, visually and ergonomically pleasing UI.
    from what I know by now I'd say it's the closest match to Massive regarding its synthesis toolbox.

• edited April 2018

@rs2000 said:
    no vote for thor?
    Synthmaster One is very good, no question, but the iOS version has very limited editing.
    thor has many different kinds of oscillators including a good choice of wavetables, great filters, great modulation matrix and a well-done, visually and ergonomically pleasing UI.
    from what I know by now I'd say it's the closest match to Massive regarding its synthesis toolbox.

You must mean Synthmaster player to iOS, NOT Synthmaster One...
    Synthmaster One for iOS will be identical to the desktop version, but, with a less polyphony...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@rs2000 said:
    no vote for thor?

You must mesn Synthmaster player to iOS, NOT Synthmaster One...
    Synthmaster One for iOS will be identical to the desktop version, but, with a less polyphony...

Yes, I was talking about Player as it's the only one that is available now.

• wow, this is cool!

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/4775/tutorial-neurofunk-bass-single-cycle#latest

@gusgranite thank you so much for pointing it out. Never heard of the beat maker forum. great resources over there! thanks!

• @david_2017 said:
    wow, this is cool!

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/4775/tutorial-neurofunk-bass-single-cycle#latest

@gusgranite thank you so much for pointing it out. Never heard of the beat maker forum. great resources over there! thanks!

Actually that is a very old, very poor (His words) tutorial from Win (Actually, i asked him to make it because i could't work out how to do something, a regular occurrence)
    https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/6453/synth-01-instruments-neuros
    That is his first Neuros banks for Beatmaker, if you don't use Beatmaker the sources are all wavs tuned to C, you wont get the full detuned presets, but the sources are still better than any synth on IOS anyway (Neuros are very rarely a synth alone, they are normally always resampled/detuned/filtered/effected/resampled repeat infinitum)
    https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/6058/quasimidi-309-5pinlink-custom-sounds
    You will also find some of his really heavy kick Neuros in that pack.

Beatmakers sampler is pretty much the standard right now for Neuros and Reeses, not for creating the raw source material, but because of the layering and modulation, every single source Reese or Neuro is the basis of a minimum of ten more, this is how resampling of them works, you never delete a Reese or Neuro.
    It is a shame that Beatmaker does not have drag n drop or one click resampling, once it has that, it will be a Neuro/Reese machine !!

• Yeah, I just want some fat witch house sounds. I made a pretty decent "Burial Style" bass following Haq's tutorial re: phoenix on his future garage/post-dubstep in Gadget.

I think groups like SALEM and White Ring may be running their equipment through guitar amps and effects, then micing the cabs combined with a DI.
    I have a matched pair of Roland bass amps and I should probably line out through those. I just can't get the synth sound I "want".

Making a modern synth cookbook would be awesome.