Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis .......is it just me ?

Comments

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

The unwritten rule is that you should never adjust code to work around issues in other hosts/plugins - as tempting as it may be sometimes. In the end it will always lead to problems.

And it again shows how much we need a reliable reference host for all this stuff.

Spot on especially since more and more AUv3's start to drop and there's not an iPad out there that can run them all in real-time so working 'freeze/render' is a must.

Merge in GarageBand works quite well for the few quick tests I've made.
    (But I do not like the 'auto duplicate' of the projects when merging tracks).

WWDC'18 is not so far away so we can only hope that we'll se some improvements affecting noise-makers :)

So GB merge is working with the same problematic plugins? If so that could rule out issues with the OS

• edited April 2018

@realdavidai said:

So GB merge is working with the same problematic plugins? If so that could rule out issues with the OS

Model 15 and Model D both 'merge' fine in GarageBand on my Air 2, iOS11.3.
    Every time I merge a track a new duplicate project is created as part of the 'joys' of GarageBand ARGHHHH!

Ohlala, both those export/render perfectly in iMPC Pro 2 too :)

• I would like to compare with BM3, but I cannot manage to load a MIDI file in it :s

• @tja said:
    I would like to compare with BM3, but I cannot manage to load a MIDI file in it :s

When in the 'song' view drag a midi-file to a bank-track from the file-browser.
    Each midi-channel will be mapped to a pad in the bank. You'll need to populate pads with instruments.

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

@tja said:
    I would like to compare with BM3, but I cannot manage to load a MIDI file in it :s

I'm getting aggressive.
    I tried Open In, I tried to drag and drop from Files App to a pattern, the song mode, the scenes mode, I even manage to get it into BM3 as file, but I just cannot load it!

In my whole live and any and all platforms I ever saw and used, I never saw a
    such an un-intuituve App like BM3!

It's massively frustrating

• @Samu said:

@tja said:

When in the 'song' view drag a midi-file to a bank-track from the file-browser.
    Each midi-channel will be mapped to a pad in the bank. You'll need to populate pads with instruments.

Ah, that means it will not load the file unless there is already an instrument loaded?

What a strange idea :o

Going to try

• @tja said:

Ah, that means it will not load the file unless there is already an instrument loaded?

It will load the file but no sound will be made until you assign a midi-destination for the bank or put some sounds on the pads :)

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

@Samu said:

@tja said:

It will load the file but no sound will be made until you assign a midi-destination for the bank or put some sounds on the pads :)

Thanks a bunch!!!

I loaded Ravenscroft, but still could not load the MIDI file - "Load" is still grayed out.
    I tried several drag and drop variants and then - somehow - I could drop the file on a track!

But still, it does not play nothing!

Realy, that is not normal - You should not need to consult a manual, ask others or try for hours to be able to do such basic things!

So, what else is required for the plugin to play the MIDI?

@mathieugarcia I beg you to just allow loading of MIDI files even when no plugin is loaded and also change the behavior with the greyed out Load button. And of course the strange behavior that it STILL does not make any sound even if loaded!

• @tja said:
    And of course the strange behavior that it STILL does not make any sound even if loaded!

Most likely because you have most likely not assigned any sounds to the pads so it 'plays silence'.
    I don't know which midi-channels are used in the midi-file but if for example midi-channel #1 is used, load a plug-in or sample to pad #1...

• @Samu said:

@tja said:
    And of course the strange behavior that it STILL does not make any sound even if loaded!

Most likely because you have most likely not assigned any sounds to the pads so it 'plays silence'.
    I don't know which midi-channels are used in the midi-file but if for example midi-channel #1 is used, load a plug-in or sample to pad #1...

It's just massively frustrating, realy.
    And I loaded the Ravenscroft AU!

I tried Auria Pro, which was also not soooo easy, as "Open In" did also not work, but with some Drag and Drop from the Files App, I could load the MIDI file and then successfully made a mixdown - so Ravenscroft does work.

Looks more like a Cubasis problem.

• "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

@tomato_juice said:
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

I never had an understanding problem with Cubasis!
    It just works, is logical and does things as intended.

EDIT: And to add that, a program that is... not so ideally programmed... is hardly a measurement for that or can stand for the world in this argument. It CAN be changed and fixed!

• edited April 2018

@tja said:

@tja said:

I'm getting aggressive.
    I tried Open In, I tried to drag and drop from Files App to a pattern, the song mode, the scenes mode, I even manage to get it into BM3 as file, but I just cannot load it!

i don't use freeze that much but had a strange behavior in the 2.4 midi editor (which i can not repeat atm) - after selecting all notes in a clip i changed the length to 1/64 by accident and couldn't change the length of ALL notes back to longer than 1/64. single notes were possible though.

as a side note: bm3 is good for painting in notes, serious midi work is a pita imo...

• @dermichl said:

@tja said:

@tja said:

I'm getting aggressive.

i don't use freeze that much but had a strange behavior in the 2.4 midi editor (which i can not repeat atm) - after selecting all notes in a clip i changed the length to 1/64 by accident and couldn't change the length of ALL notes back to longer than 1/64. single notes were possible though.

You cannot get the audio from AU Synth without freezing, as far as I can tell.
    Not within the DAW.

• wimwim
    edited April 2018

@brambos said:
    I’ve done loads of heavy testing lately, and I haven’t found any issues with freezing or rendering. Could it be that some plugins respond less than perfectly to ad-hoc audio format switching (which Cubasis does when rendering)?

In my case, I had a relatively heavy project for my Air 2: RuisMaker, Rozeta, three Model D instances, one audio track with tonestack FX, and one iSEM. With buffers set to the highest and 16bit, not 24bit audio, I could get it to play back without crackles.

However I began freezing tracks to conserve CPU as I tried to work the project further. This is when it started to break down. It started with odd problems with iSEM. It would be radically distorted until I opened the GUI, then it would clear up except for intermittent problems. That's exactly the opposite of what I'd expect.

As I froze more tracks, things just kept going downhill. Eventually Model D, the audio track, and even Ruismaker started getting the same distortion. Un-freezing tracks only seemed to make it work. Eventually everything became completely unusable. Rendering under every combination of options available was distorted in the same way. Multiple reboots, airplane mode, etc. etc. I know the troubleshooting drill well.

Thankfully, Undo came to the rescue and I was able to put everything back the way it was before I started freezing tracks. (Cubasis Undo persists even after switching to another project and back! What a terrific surprise.)

So, then finally able to play back the track I rendered it. Distortion gone ... but all sequenced parts playing back slower than the project tempo, with only the audio track playing at the right tempo. No combination of options would work.

Just laying it out in detail in case it's of any use to @Lars. I'll try to do the same over at the Steinberg forum.

• I am kind of frustrated currently.
    Just telling...

• Do you guys think the slowed down effect on the frozen audio file could indicate some sort of mismatch in sampling rate settings. Like maybe they forgot the .1 in the 44.1 kHz samplerate?

• I tested the Bram Bos Apps and that looked fine - but when I used the real-time freeze, it broke down, making the track longer.

Strange :o

• @tja said:
    I tested the Bram Bos Apps and that looked fine - but when I used the real-time freeze, it broke down, making the track longer.

Strange :o

Been there, done that too during my trouble-shooting sessions...

So the suggested 'solution' to use real-time rendering is NOT an option as it breaks other things.
    (ie. it 'breaks' plug-ins that do work with 'off-line rendering').

I do wonder why since everything 'plays back' in real-time then why doesn't the rendering work!?

Just a fun fact, that iMPC Pro 2 & GarageBand have no issues at all with rendering the Plug-Ins I've tried so far...
    (Those apps have their own fair share of other issues...),

Once the easter holidays are over I'm pretty sure we'll see at least some responses from Steinberg & Moog...

• Don’t get it, are you guys freezing more than one track at a time?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Don’t get it, are you guys freezing more than one track at a time?

Just tapping freeze on one track after the other, not at the same time...

• @tja said:
    I am kind of frustrated currently.
    Just telling...

Since it's an identified and reproducible problem, and it's specific to Cubasis, it will most likely get resolved pretty quickly.

• edited April 2018

@wim said:

@tja said:
    I am kind of frustrated currently.
    Just telling...

Since it's an identified and reproducible problem, and it's specific to Cubasis, it will most likely get resolved pretty quickly.

Yeah. Like when they tried to unlock the iPhoneX with Face Detection live at the big stage for the first time. I think they finally got that to work. :p

• @tja said:

@tja said:

Once you get the flow of BM3 it is incredible. It just involves forgetting how things are done in other DAW's/apps.

• edited April 2018

@BroCoast said:

@tja said:

@tja said:

Once you get the flow of BM3 it is incredible. It just involves forgetting how things are done in other DAW's/apps.

I guess I have no choice but to ‘really’ learn it... Ableton Link is a must. It can even help take cpu load off of ‘one’ iPad..

BTW, can Ableton Link sync over Bluetooth?

• @RajahP said:

@BroCoast said:

@tja said:

@tja said:

I guess I have no choice but to ‘really’ learn it... Ableton Link is a must. It can even help take cpu load off of ‘one’ iPad..

BTW, can Ableton Link sync over Bluetooth?

No. Wifi only fir Link

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Kühl said:
    In comparison to my Pro, my iPad Air - Mark 1 , is crackling like a henhouse with cubasis.

Latest iOS?

Just wondering

No, I haven’t updated it yet, just the Pro is 11.3

• LFSLFS
    edited April 2018

Dear all,

Thanks for your comments.

With the release of iOS 11.3, Apple has addressed the offline rendering bug, that affected several Audio Unit instruments and Cubasis. As a temporary workaround for the previous Apple issue, Cubasis has offered an optional real-time track freeze / mixdown solution located in the setup.

While the initial bug now has been addressed by Apple, an intermediate Cubasis update will be required to benefit from this change.

Of course, the 2.4.1 update is already in the making, planned to be released sometime soon.

Best,
    Lars

@loopstar
    The video provided shows the previous known iOS issue.
    Please enable AU Mixdown Compatibility Mode (located in setup) when performing track freeze and/or mixdowns with Moog Model D, until Cubasis 2.4.1 becomes available.

@Samu
    As stated above, Cubasis requires to be updated to benefit from Apple’s iOS 11.3 offline rendering bugfix. We're at it and hope to have the 2.4.1 update ready sometime soon.

@mwallace
    Please provide us with an exact step by step description plus video to reproduce the issue.
    Please upload your results to Dropbox or similar and let me have the download link via private message.

@wim
    We suggest to use the compatibility mode mixdown setup option, combined with ultra low hardware latency.

@tja
    So far, we are not able to reproduce the Ravenscroft issue.
    Are all apps in use and iOS 11.3 updated to the latest available versions?
    Furthermore please make sure your project is set to 44.1 kHz, and hardware latency is set to ultra low in setup.

@wim
    Please make sure to set hardware latency to ultra low in setup.

• @LFS said:

While the initial bug now has been addressed by Apple, an intermediate Cubasis update will be required to benefit from this change.

Of course, the 2.4.1 update is already in the making, planned to be released sometime soon.

Thank you for the information.

As a temporary work-around I've set the session sample-rate to 96K and freezing works without any of the 'options' enabled for the mix-down (iPad Air 2, iOS11.3).

Looking forward to the 2.4.1 update :)
    /Samuel

• @Lars great news and thanks in advance to the dev team and you for looking into our requests and issues!