Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can you hear this GIF animation?

Apparently there’s a debate going on about the mind filling in sound in this silent GIF animation. I wonder if musicians are perhaps more susceptible to this phenomenon. I could indeed ‘hear’ the thumping when I looked at the animation.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/12/why_can_you_hear_this_illusion.html?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=slate

Anyone else?

P.s. This is not an April fools thing nor a Rickroll.

Comments

• @brambos said:
    Apparently there’s a debate going on about the mind filling in sound in this silent GIF animation. I wonder if musicians are perhaps more susceptible to this phenomenon. I could indeed ‘hear’ the thumping when I looked at the animation.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/12/why_can_you_hear_this_illusion.html?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=slate

Anyone else?

P.s. This is not an April fools thing nor a Rickroll.

Just barely, but yeah... I could hear it to.

I think the same phenomena happens with images as well. David Lynch once said that he didn’t like high definition because it showed the viewer too much. He preferred lower resolution and vague areas without details so that the viewers mind could fill them in.

• The people who hear that GIF are the same ones who find it physically impossible to not read this sentence. AKA me.

• My daughter and I totally hear it, although it is in our heads, not our ears necessarily. It’s like we sense some imperceptible sub-bass shockwave.

I didn’t read the article, but I think the way the whole frame has that artificial jitter, or camera shake as it is commonly called, tricks your brain into thinking your whole body was thrown off balance momentarily, and usually there is a low frequency shockwave associated with that happening. So that association triggers the false perception. That would be my theory, anyway.

• I'm hearing it in my mind. It's obviously not a real sound. Pretty much the same way I hear music my subconscious keeps composing all day. Even when I'm not working on music at all.

• I don't hear it or feel it. Even if I put my ear to the screen :)

• edited April 2018

I can't hear the GIF. But I can smell it. What's wrong with me?

• Oh no! Please don’t mess with my head!!!!

• Yep. Thud boom. And I agree it's todo with combining the landing with the camera shake.

• Nope, just screaming as usual.

• I can hear nothing but supplying animated GIFs with a looped mp3/ogg/m4a audio track is certainly a neat idea ;)

• @rs2000 haha, yeah that's the first thing I thought when I read the thread title... "Damn, has GIF2000 finally caught up?" :D

• wimwim
    edited April 2018

@AudioGus said:
    Nope, just screaming as usual.

Post of the month right there!

• wimwim
    edited April 2018

I can't hear it. I attribute it to hearing loss suffered at too many rock concerts in my youth ... come to think of it many of which visually reminded me of that gif. Maybe perceptual loss as well in that case.

• edited April 2018

Oh hey! Tried it again and heard my heartbeat which was just enough in sync. That’s why people hear it. :)