Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• I tried something with Xequence, that i expected to be easy.
    But i am not sure if that is possible at all, right now.

I want to send MIDI notes on channel 1 to ChordPolyPad, that converts the notes into a chord progression.
    This chord progression would be put out on ChordPolyPad Out Channel 2 and received by both Xequence again (track 2, channel 2) and some chord app like Ravenscroft.

So far, this worked.

But i also wanted the original notes from channel 1 to be send to Zeeon.
    But i cannot get Zeeon to use the notes.

I tried with and without AUM, to no avail.

I cannot use AudioBus, as Xequence still does not show up there (and also not in AUM, IIRC).

Any trick that could help to get this running?

I did similar things with modstep and Cubasis, but wanted to use Xequence as my main sequencer.

• edited March 2018

I think you will have to copy the midi part on a second track, then first track/part will send to chordpolypad and second to Zeeon. Not sure there is routing stuff you’re searching for in Xequence yet.

• @SevenSystems It would be great if you could control multiple instruments when using the dual keyboard.

• @tja said:
    I tried something with Xequence, that i expected to be easy.
    But i am not sure if that is possible at all, right now.

I want to send MIDI notes on channel 1 to ChordPolyPad, that converts the notes into a chord progression.
    This chord progression would be put out on ChordPolyPad Out Channel 2 and received by both Xequence again (track 2, channel 2) and some chord app like Ravenscroft.

So far, this worked.

But i also wanted the original notes from channel 1 to be send to Zeeon.
    But i cannot get Zeeon to use the notes.

I tried with and without AUM, to no avail.

I cannot use AudioBus, as Xequence still does not show up there (and also not in AUM, IIRC).

Any trick that could help to get this running?

I did similar things with modstep and Cubasis, but wanted to use Xequence as my main sequencer.

You can still route Xequence through Aum, using Aum as destination for Xequence, then, using Midi Route inside Aum, you send the Aum destination to any and all instruments you wish.

• @rezidue said:
    @SevenSystems It would be great if you could control multiple instruments when using the dual keyboard.

Yes, assigning different instruments to the top and bottom key row would be great, also for the drumpads... it's not easy to do with the current implementation, but I have it on the list.

• How’s the update with the algorithmic generator coming along? Having watched all the videos I can say that haven’t been this excited about an update in a while!

• @RJB said:
    How’s the update with the algorithmic generator coming along? Having watched all the videos I can say that haven’t been this excited about an update in a while!

The update is basically ready, however we've been in a software transition here and that didn't go very smoothly (among others, Windows 7's genius "System Image" backups not really being restorable ;-)), so I'm currently a bit blocked... but it shouldn't take longer than 2 weeks from now. :|

• RJBRJB
    edited March 2018

@SevenSystems
    Not sure what all that means but good luck, Godspeed, and get that update out, pleeeeese...

Or even better, how about a tutorial on the new features?

• @charleso said:

@Samplemunch said:

@Samplemunch said:

@charleso said:
    Beatmaker3 eg doesn’t record those double hits (typical when doing drum rolls also). The reason is that a note is only recorded when the note off message is received on that same note, so a second hit on the same pad is ignored if the note off of the first hit hasn’t been received. I was hoping, as there is a new implementation of drumpads, that your app would register this well.

Do you mean via hardware ?
    Just tested and it works fine via the pads on the touchscreen.

I guess you do mean via hardware then lol, thanks for replying hahaha.

I’m sorry, missed your first comment. But I meant by hardware as well as the pads on the touchscreen. I just tried it again in BM3 and it doesn’t record a second hit on the same pad when the first hit hasn’t been released yet (eg when using two fingers one after the other). This is recorded as one long note, starting from the beginning of the first hit ‘till the end of the second hit. This has been mentioned on the BM forum as well. Can you try to replicate this for certainty?

Works fine via onscreen pads here, records multiple notes ?

• @Fitz said:
    You can still route Xequence through Aum, using Aum as destination for Xequence, then, using Midi Route inside Aum, you send the Aum destination to any and all instruments you wish.

Ah.
    Yes.

Would not be saved in AdiosBus / AUM profiles, but better than nothing.

Thanks!

• @Samplemunch said:

@charleso said:

@Samplemunch said:

@Samplemunch said:

@charleso said:
    Beatmaker3 eg doesn’t record those double hits (typical when doing drum rolls also). The reason is that a note is only recorded when the note off message is received on that same note, so a second hit on the same pad is ignored if the note off of the first hit hasn’t been received. I was hoping, as there is a new implementation of drumpads, that your app would register this well.

Do you mean via hardware ?
    Just tested and it works fine via the pads on the touchscreen.

I guess you do mean via hardware then lol, thanks for replying hahaha.

I’m sorry, missed your first comment. But I meant by hardware as well as the pads on the touchscreen. I just tried it again in BM3 and it doesn’t record a second hit on the same pad when the first hit hasn’t been released yet (eg when using two fingers one after the other). This is recorded as one long note, starting from the beginning of the first hit ‘till the end of the second hit. This has been mentioned on the BM forum as well. Can you try to replicate this for certainty?

Works fine via onscreen pads here, records multiple notes ?

Just tried it again, it records the overlapping notes but keeps them on top of each others, starting on the same moment (the first note on message is kept as a start for the following overlapping notes). So you actually hear one note when playing back what’s recorded. This is just a bug and happens also when quantizing is set to off.

• Hi
    I just wanted to mark as others,that your work is amazing.
    It's really unique what you pulled off,and how it "invisibly" works with all synth apps that I own at least!
    I have 2 questions though!
    I recently purchased Animoog and im totally amazed by its abilities,it is exactly what I needed!
    Now,I definitely love your keyboard,I use it with isem and Sunrizer and im more that satisfied by the controls,even though I haven't purchased any IAP(plan to).
    In Animoog's case though,the keyboard is probably the best feature about it,or any synth really.
    I was wondering if I can record inside Xequence, playing from the Animoog keyboard.
    That would be a dream to me.
    Do I need to get the Animoog "midi out" IAP,or even your "extended controls" IAP?
    I'm really sorry if this is mentioned before,but I read the whole topic about a month ago, before I purchase the app and I can't remember.
    Thanks a lot in advance and for all your work and commitment.
    Overall,Xequence is a dream and im sure that it will only get better in time,not that I'm asking something specific though... Maybe an Animoog keyboard :smiley:
    Take care
    John

• A nice thing would ne to be able to build maps like the drum maps but for chords..

• Is there a way I can Sync Xequence and AUM so I can record the audio into AudioShare from Xequence.? I have just been starting recording first in aum then pressing play in Xequence. then have to manually trim my start and end points in AudioShare after recording. I’m pretty new to all the iPad sync stuff, never even used Link yet @SevenSystems

• @JohnEcho said:
    It's really unique what you pulled off,and how it "invisibly" works with all synth apps that I own at least!
    I recently purchased Animoog and im totally amazed by its abilities,it is exactly what I needed!
    Now,I definitely love your keyboard,I use it with isem and Sunrizer and im more that satisfied by the controls,even though I haven't purchased any IAP(plan to).
    In Animoog's case though,the keyboard is probably the best feature about it,or any synth really.
    I was wondering if I can record inside Xequence, playing from the Animoog keyboard.
    Do I need to get the Animoog "midi out" IAP,or even your "extended controls" IAP?

Hi John and thanks very much for the kind comments.

I've just researched AniMoog's MIDI functionality and here's what I found:

• You can record Animoog's keyboard into Xequence after buying the "MIDI Expansion Pack".
    • However, you will only be able to record the actual keys played, NOT the up/down movement after touching a key (this is implemented in Animoog through a technology called "Aftertouch", which is currently not supported by Xequence, but I hope to get this in as soon as possible;
    • Note that Animoog's MIDI implementation is rather buggy; after enabling MIDI In in Xequence and setting "Sources" to "Any", you have to kill Animoog (swipe it up from the multitasking screen) and relaunch it in order for Animoog to "see" Xequence in the "MIDI" page of its settings.

I hope to get recording of aftertouch implemented soon, which would enable you to record all aspects of Animoog's keyboard.

• edited April 2018

@ruggedsmooth said:
    Is there a way I can Sync Xequence and AUM so I can record the audio into AudioShare from Xequence.? I have just been starting recording first in aum then pressing play in Xequence. then have to manually trim my start and end points in AudioShare after recording. I’m pretty new to all the iPad sync stuff, never even used Link yet @SevenSystems

Yes, you can sync up AUM and Xequence easily. Just enable Ableton Link in both. In Xequence, go to the "..." screen, then the rightmost option ("Link"). In AUM, tap the Note icon, then the "..." icon, then enable Ableton Link. As soon as you hit play or record in either app, they will play in sync.

@SevenSystems said:

@JohnEcho said:

Hi John and thanks very much for the kind comments.

I've just researched AniMoog's MIDI functionality and here's what I found:

• You can record Animoog's keyboard into Xequence after buying the "MIDI Expansion Pack".
    • However, you will only be able to record the actual keys played, NOT the up/down movement after touching a key (this is implemented in Animoog through a technology called "Aftertouch", which is currently not supported by Xequence, but I hope to get this in as soon as possible;
    • Note that Animoog's MIDI implementation is rather buggy; after enabling MIDI In in Xequence and setting "Sources" to "Any", you have to kill Animoog (swipe it up from the multitasking screen) and relaunch it in order for Animoog to "see" Xequence in the "MIDI" page of its settings.

I hope to get recording of aftertouch implemented soon, which would enable you to record all aspects of Animoog's keyboard.

ohhhhhhhhhh, I just love you...... Uhmmmm.... Xequence :D :)

Do you think, there will be some proper way for song construction, read Intro, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, so that you can easily arrange and repeat such parts?

:) :p ;) B)

• edited April 2018

@tja said:

Much appreciated :D

Do you think, there will be some proper way for song construction, read Intro, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, so that you can easily arrange and repeat such parts?

I don't have any kind of "higher-level" song construction thing in the plans right now... but it's relatively easy to make a "marker track" where you just draw empty parts along the sections of your song and name the parts accordingly... if that helps... like this:

That at least helps with overview...

• edited April 2018

@SevenSystems said:

@tja said:

Much appreciated :D

I don't have any kind of "higher-level" song construction thing in the plans right now... but it's relatively easy to make a "marker track" where you just draw empty parts along the sections of your song and name the parts accordingly... if that helps... like this:

That at least helps with overview...

Nice tip thanks!! True regions feature could be also pretty nice, allowing to make a song quickly by copy/paste whole regions without selecting parts. I know it’s already more or less doable by selecting loop, but true markers will allow for even faster workflow.

• @Janosax said:
    Nice tip thanks!! True regions feature could be also pretty nice, allowing to make a song quickly by copy/paste whole regions without selecting parts. I know it’s already more or less doable by selecting loop, but true markers will allow for even faster workflow.

Yeah... will keep it in mind...

BTW: An added bonus of using "marker parts" this way is that you can also just select any of your "marker parts" and then set the song loop to it... kind of "loop presets"...

• @SevenSystems said:

@Janosax said:

BTW: An added bonus of using "marker parts" this way is that you can also just select any of your "marker parts" and then set the song loop to it... kind of "loop presets"...

Could you expand about this for the more stupid?

• edited April 2018

@tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Janosax said:

If you create marker parts, you can select any of them and tap loop button then tap selection. The marker part region will loop as all other parts below. Multiple marker parts make multiple loopable regions. Excellent for adding new parts, overdubs, automations, mixing in other apps, copy/paste quickly a whole region to construct your song, etc...

• What @Janosax said. :) It's just a convenient way to have pre-defined loop regions that are easily selectable.

• @SevenSystems said:
    What @Janosax said. :) It's just a convenient way to have pre-defined loop regions that are easily selectable.

Brilliant! One of those "Why didn't I think of that?!" moments.

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Janosax said:

To create a looped region of the timeline, you can select the parts that lie in the region and it will loop for the section covering the selected parts. So you select a part or parts that corresponds to the region you would like to loop.

Now if you setup the empty parts as song section markers, you can select one to loop that corresponding section of the song. They are all in the right areas of the timeline and the correct length, so in effect it is acting like a preset system to quickly select and loop your song sections.

• @wim: No problem! I'll include a $99 "marker track" feature in the next release that does this automatically ;)

• @wim said:

@SevenSystems said:
    What @Janosax said. :) It's just a convenient way to have pre-defined loop regions that are easily selectable.

Brilliant! One of those "Why didn't I think of that?!" moments.

@SevenSystems How about implementing something like a two finger tap to quickly set a selection to loop, so we don’t have to go up into the menu each time? If it doesn’t get accidentally get triggered too easily, it would be a great power-user feature.

• edited April 2018

@aaronpc that would be doable, however, I'm generally hesitant to implement gestures that aren't obvious / standard... I'm more of a button person :) there's lots of apps that suffer from discoverability problems due to overuse of gestures...

• @SevenSystems said:
    @aaronpc that would be doable, however, I'm generally hesitant to implement obscure gestures that aren't obvious / standard... I'm more of a button person :)

Me too. B)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @aaronpc that would be doable, however, I'm generally hesitant to implement gestures that aren't obvious / standard... I'm more of a button person :) there's lots of apps that suffer from discoverability problems due to overuse of gestures...

I’ve found that Xequence has overall ultra quick workflow. Loop selection as zoom selection via button are part of that excellent workflow, as buttons to extend or move parts/notes.