Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis .......is it just me ?

That has nothing but issues . I really want to like it , but it never works for me . I can’t even mix down a 4 bar 2 track loop without it all sounding weird and distorted now . What the hell am I doing wrong ? I’m on the new 2018 iPad , but it never worked on my Air 2 either . Just puzzled as most people seem to rave about it 🤔

Comments

• Here’s an example of what I mean

https://youtu.be/o2hQ6vfAkUQ

• No problems here running the latest IOS on an IPad Pro 10.5. Just finished a track with lots if AUs, samples and numerous effects (AU and IAA). Just noticed a slowing down due to CPU usage after a while, but mixdown worked flawlessly.

• Since the Cubasis 2.4 update I've had a lot of freeze related issues, distortion, crackles etc.
    I've tried to use both options under Mixdown but they ain't much help to be honest...

The session sample-rate/bit-depth also affects the results of freeze/mixdown results.

What worries me is that playback works fine(with all sample rates and bit-depths)...
    ...but mixdown/freeze does not!!

There must be something that has been made to the Cubasis freeze/mixdown system in the latest update that is 'broken' or 'messed up' as the previous version worked pretty much spot on even with CPU heavy AUv3's such as Model 15 from Moog! (Now I can't freeze Model 15 or Model D regardless of settings, it's either 'out of sync', 'plays too slow' or 'distorts').

Don't know if @LFS can shed a light on the changes that have been made but for me 'freeze/mixdown' remains broken compared to the previous version where it worked pretty good...

If it's Apples fault we'll have to wait for iOS11.4 to drop...
    (I'm on an iPad Air 2, iOS11.3 and Cubasis 2.4 behaves the same so it's not the iOS version in this case).

• @Samu said:
    Since the Cubasis 2.4 update I've had a lot of freeze related issues, distortion, crackles etc.
    I've tried to use both options under Mixdown but they ain't much help to be honest...

The session sample-rate/bit-depth also affects the results of freeze/mixdown results.

What worries me is that playback works fine(with all sample rates and bit-depths)...

There must be something that has been made to the Cubasis freeze/mixdown system in the latest update that is 'broken' or 'messed up' as the previous version worked pretty much spot on even with CPU heavy AUv3's such as Model 15 from Moog! (Now I can't freeze Model 15 or Model D regardless of settings, it's either 'out of sync', 'plays too slow' or 'distorts').

Don't know if @LFS can shed a light on the changes that have been made but for me 'freeze/mixdown' remains broken compared to the previous version where it worked pretty good...

(I'm on an iPad Air 2, iOS11.3 and Cubasis 2.4 behaves the same so it's not the iOS version in this case).

Yeah seems it doesn’t like the MiniMoog audio unit . I did some messing around and am able to mix down ok using the Poison 202 Audio Unit. Shame it’s so buggy

• @loopingstar said:

Yeah seems it doesn’t like the MiniMoog audio unit . I did some messing around and am able to mix down ok using the Poison 202 Audio Unit. Shame it’s so buggy

Just for fun try Freezing with different sample-rates for the session?

You can just change the session sample rate and 'freeze' the track with Model D and check for the results.
    Last time I checked at 96Khz I had no 'crackles' but the frozen audio played at slower tempo.
    (There's another thread here at to forum with screenshots of the rendered/frozen audio with the different options under mix-down).

Once the peeps at Moog & Steinberg are back at the office (Tuesday or so) I think they'll drop by to check the threads they have been tagged in :)

For peace of mind I sequence the Model 15 & Model D in BeatMaker 3 and record the audio...

I due time this will get sorted out and I would not be surprised if Cubasis 2.4.1 has already been sent of to Apple for expedited review...

• @loopingstar said:

@Samu said:
    Since the Cubasis 2.4 update I've had a lot of freeze related issues, distortion, crackles etc.

It's a known issue with Cubasis and modelD. Lars from Steinberg posted about it here. Will be resolved soon. Or sounds like it.

• edited April 2018

Freeze distortion here too, was happening before Model D release.

And, on a side note, leaving AU effects on my tracks (instead of freezing them) has given me some AU errors when loading projects. Gotta go back and figure out which AU to reload as it gives no indication what you were using, just a generic ‘Audio Unit’ tag.

@Samu said:

• edited April 2018

@syrupcore said:

It's a known issue with Cubasis and modelD. Lars from Steinberg posted about it here. Will be resolved soon. Or sounds like it.

Ok, if it's an iOS issue we'll likely need to wait for yet another update from Apple.
    As far as I know iOS11.4 is already in beta...

• @loopingstar said:
    That has nothing but issues . I really want to like it , but it never works for me . I can’t even mix down a 4 bar 2 track loop without it all sounding weird and distorted now . What the hell am I doing wrong ? I’m on the new 2018 iPad , but it never worked on my Air 2 either . Just puzzled as most people seem to rave about it 🤔

I was having issues with the Moog stuff too, got a tip from Lars.....Go to setup, select mixdown and turn on Audio Unit Mixdown Compatibility Mode. It worked for me. He said to turn it off when Im done. Hope it helps.

• @Strizbiz said:

@loopingstar said:

I was having issues with the Moog stuff too, got a tip from Lars.....Go to setup, select mixdown and turn on Audio Unit Mixdown Compatibility Mode. It worked for me. He said to turn it off when Im done. Hope it helps.

That got rid of the crackles, but the timing was off. Everything but audio tracks was slowed down. The other “real-time” option had a while different set op issues.

Naturally, I picked this week to give Cubasis another go, after a long hiatus. That went well enough, but with only a few hours left before a deadline, I discover I can’t render the project. :#

Thankfully I was able to capture the playback using AudioShare and get done just under the wire. I’m glad I came across this thread befor I dumped more of a beautiful Sunday afternoon trying to make it work.

• How did you do to finish it, @wim? Did you revert to an earlier version of Cubasis?

• Cubasis freezing and running rock solid on my iPad 2017 9.7 IOS 11.2.6.

Tight and solid after latest update. I tried both mixdown options for AUs and onebisbslower but works. The other one is faster and works too! My issues pre update were Zeeon not freezing and Poison 202. Now they both freeze perfectly with both AU mixdown options. Model D freezes great too!

I haven’t tried Z3TA but will tomorrow.

• @theconnactic said:
    How did you do to finish it, @wim? Did you revert to an earlier version of Cubasis?

I just loaded Cubasis up in AudioShare’s recorder and grabbed the audio that way. Fortunately I discovered that by turning buffers to medium and, most importantly, removing all frozen tracks, it could play through without crackles. (Which is impressive since it had three Model D’s, tonestack, Ruismaker, Rozeta XOX, and an iSem running on an Air 2.)

The second I froze any tracks at all, it went to hell, though.

• I have the Mark 1 iPad Pro 12,9
    It never seems to have any problems with cubasis or anything else.
    I’m on my 2nd iPad of this type now, my first blew up :wink:

Any mark 1 owners having trouble?

• In comparison to my Pro, my iPad Air - Mark 1 , is crackling like a henhouse with cubasis.

• Cubasis is royal pain, I’ve not really tried using Garageband or Auria but I’ve generally given up on doing anything DAWish on iPad anyway.

I just use AUMs multitrack recording as like my tape machine and export to ableton to edit and mix.

• This could be a ’multiple core’ issue as well?

The regular iPad 2017 & 2018 have 2 cores, iPad Air 2 has 3. Amount of RAM is the same 2GB.

Coming from the Air 2 the display on the new regular iPads is a downgrade that hurts my eyes. (Also my eyes were super sensitive to the flickering OLED screen on the iPhone X when dimmed down so for now I avoid OLED like plague),

The Pro’s have been out for a while but I’ll wait for the next gen for sure even before considering and upgrade...

• Cubasis v2.4 running on a 128gb Air2, os 11.3, no problems.

• @Paul16 said:
    Cubasis v2.4 running on a 128gb Air2, os 11.3, no problems.

Are you using any CPU heavy AUv3's Instrument Plug-Ins such as Model 15 or Model D from Moog?
    Lightweight Plug-Ins (Poison-202, PPG stuff, IceGear etc.) work quite well.
    It's when starting the tax the CPU that things get wonky...

• I’ve done loads of heavy testing lately, and I haven’t found any issues with freezing or rendering. Could it be that some plugins respond less than perfectly to ad-hoc audio format switching (which Cubasis does when rendering)?

• @brambos said:
    I’ve done loads of heavy testing lately, and I haven’t found any issues with freezing or rendering. Could it be that some plugins respond less than perfectly to ad-hoc audio format switching (which Cubasis does when rendering)?

Could be?! What puzzles me is that prior to the Cubasis 2.4 update I had no issues what so ever freezing Model 15, but after the 2.4 update dropped it downhill and stopped working properly...

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:
    I’ve done loads of heavy testing lately, and I haven’t found any issues with freezing or rendering. Could it be that some plugins respond less than perfectly to ad-hoc audio format switching (which Cubasis does when rendering)?

Could be?! What puzzles me is that prior to the Cubasis 2.4 update I had no issues what so ever freezing Model 15, but after the 2.4 update dropped it downhill and stopped working properly...

Yes, it’s hard to say what the issue is without having insight in code and debug data. But Cubasis is a critical part of my test setup and I haven’t noticed any different behavior from their host end with my plugins (also haven’t had any reports of my plugins misbehaving in Cubasis lately) so I’d be puzzled if the issue is on their end.

But who knows... so many variables at play.

• @Samu said:

@Paul16 said:
    Cubasis v2.4 running on a 128gb Air2, os 11.3, no problems.

Are you using any CPU heavy AUv3's Instrument Plug-Ins such as Model 15 or Model D from Moog?
    Lightweight Plug-Ins (Poison-202, PPG stuff, IceGear etc.) work quite well.
    It's when starting the tax the CPU that things get wonky...

On occasion but I still find myself employing the habit of stripping back the set up when using the big guns, from ipad1 days ! I guess sometimes it’s a case of push anything hard enough & .....

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

Ravenscroft AU in Cubasis, all three variants fail - normal, Compatibility mode and real-time freeze.

I also tried the IAA version, and that had NO problem!
    Everything OK!

For me, it seems that AU are crappie. IAA always seems to be more stable.

• @tja said:

That’s a bizarre conclusion.

• @brambos said:
    But Cubasis is a critical part of my test setup and I haven’t noticed any different behavior from their host end with my plugins (also haven’t had any reports of my plugins misbehaving in Cubasis lately) so I’d be puzzled if the issue is on their end.

I've had like zero issues with your stuff in Cubasis so that's a good sign ;)

That's true. It does feels like a 'Rat Race', developers make adjustment for anomalies for different hosts/plug-ins, hosts change their behaviour and the adjustments cause more damage...

• edited April 2018

@Samu said:

That's true. It does feels like a 'Rat Race', developers make adjustment for anomalies for different hosts/plug-ins, hosts change their behaviour and the adjustments cause more damage...

The unwritten rule is that you should never adjust code to work around issues in other hosts/plugins - as tempting as it may be sometimes. In the end it will always lead to problems.

And it again shows how much we need a reliable reference host for all this stuff.

• @brambos said:

@tja said:

That’s a bizarre conclusion.

You are right.

I tested SampleTank Miroslav 2 Classic Grand, also broken - even as this is IAA:

• @brambos said:

The unwritten rule is that you should never adjust code to work around issues in other hosts/plugins - as tempting as it may be sometimes. In the end it will always lead to problems.

And it again shows how much we need a reliable reference host for all this stuff.

Spot on especially since more and more AUv3's start to drop and there's not an iPad out there that can run them all in real-time so working 'freeze/render' is a must.

Merge in GarageBand works quite well for the few quick tests I've made.
    (But I do not like the 'auto duplicate' of the projects when merging tracks).

WWDC'18 is not so far away so we can only hope that we'll se some improvements affecting noise-makers :)

• @Kühl said:
    In comparison to my Pro, my iPad Air - Mark 1 , is crackling like a henhouse with cubasis.

Latest iOS?

Just wondering