Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Pencil now a MIDI controller

edited April 2018 in Other

Just discovered this and so haven’t had much time to play with it. But so far it’s pretty damn cool. Sending 4 CCs to LayR, each one sending a different value based on Pencil dynamics (velocity, force, tilt, orientation). You can define which CC control # you want to target for each of the 4 dynamics. Just a heads up, it only works with Apple Pencil.

Pen2Bow by Dimos Gaidatzis

Here is a demo from the developer

Comments

• @brice said:
    Just discovered this and so haven’t had much time to play with it. But so far it’s pretty damn cool. Sending 4 CCs to LayR, each one sending a different value based on Pencil dynamics (velocity, force, tilt, orientation). You can define which CC control # you want to target for each of the 4 dynamics. Just a heads up, it only works with Apple Pencil.

Awesome! Is this a separate app? Or a new feature built into the new LayR?

• @skiphunt said:

@brice said:

Awesome! Is this a separate app? Or a new feature built into the new LayR?

It’s a separate app. Will work with any app that can accept MIDI control changes!

• Cool. Will check it out. Watching this video on it now:

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

As nowadays nobody posts links:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pen2bow/id1358113198?l=en&mt=8

Thanks a bunch for the information, this is realy a cool idea!

• @tja said:

I posted one but apparently it didn’t do its job. Thanks for the assist!

• @brice said:

@tja said:

Apple somehow broke this - believing that it's better this way.
    They call it "rich links", IIRC.

It helps to post into Notes first and then copy the URL!

• @tja said:

@brice said:

@tja said:

Ahh, that seems helpful :|

• @tja said:

@brice said:

@tja said:

More like bich links, lol. I use mail to copy the links. :D

• Nice idea. Would love to hear someone's take on it if we get a local plunger etc.

• Awesome...Definitely plan to get this! .. I've been hoping I'd be able to put the pencil to use for music, other than using it to manipulate synth knobs ;)

• This looks very interesting, I am trying to get my head around how I would yse this in an “all ios” environment, presumably it could be used with synths and just violin apps.

• @PhilW said:
    This looks very interesting, I am trying to get my head around how I would yse this in an “all ios” environment, presumably it could be used with synths and just violin apps.

Yeah, it works with standard MIDI protocols so it’ll work with just about anything.

• Interesting! will have to pick this up. I wonder if the dev of TC-data could add pen support too, that would be great.

• @Carnbot said:
    Interesting! will have to pick this up. I wonder if the dev of TC-data could add pen support too, that would be great.

Extra vote for this....

• @Carnbot said:
    Interesting! will have to pick this up. I wonder if the dev of TC-data could add pen support too, that would be great.

It already has but I not sure about the same degree of control as this app.

• As I found a few months ago, you can use the Apple Pencil as your ‘bow’ when playing Finger Fiddle.

• @knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

How do you enable it?
    Doesn't work for me, or does it only work on certain patches?

• @Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

How do you enable it?

I think I actually tried it in TC-11, that was quiet a while ago though, I vaguely remember selecting pencil (various controls) to assign to different aspects to control the synth engine pitch and so on, I'll take a look again if I get the chance later.

• @knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

How do you enable it?

I think I actually tried it in TC-11, that was quiet a while ago though, I vaguely remember selecting pencil (various controls) to assign to different aspects to control the synth engine pitch and so on, I'll take a look again if I get the chance later.

TC-11/data and the pencil works on the menu and interface but not the performance surface for me. Unless there's a setting I've missed.

• Used it in AUM to animate a Model D arp patch with some delay stuff. Very expressive. I can only imagine how this would be used by someone who really knew what they were doing.

• @Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

How do you enable it?

TC-11/data and the pencil works on the menu and interface but not the performance surface for me. Unless there's a setting I've missed.

Or something broke in the code, I tried it back on my 10.5 Pro back on iOS 10, it seems the TC apps have been updated. I can't remember enabling anything for the pencil only the control settings for various parameters, I also thought that it had a preset for the pencil too.

• @knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

How do you enable it?

Or something broke in the code, I tried it back on my 10.5 Pro back on iOS 10, it seems the TC apps have been updated. I can't remember enabling anything for the pencil only the control settings for various parameters, I also thought that it had a preset for the pencil too.

Well I might write to the dev and see if he might add support as would be really great :)

• Animoog is another Pencil pusher....

• edited April 2018

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

How do you enable it?

Well I might write to the dev and see if he might add support as would be really great :)

It looks like there’s already very deep support for the Pencil to control all kinds of stuff. I first tried TC-11, and then TC-Data. In TC-11 you got to utilities, select Pencil, then drag the specific control you want over to the patch parameter you want to control. Everything from the speed of the Pencil motion, to on/off play surface, x/y, azimuth, pressure/force, distance, time, altitude. I’ve only just dug in, but it looks like it’s even more deep than this Pen2Bow app. With TC-Data it’s the same, but I think you set it differently by going to each parameter to control and selecting controller, Pencil, then what Pencil characteristic to control.

Using the Pencil to control TC-11 & TC-Data is pretty freaking spectacular actually! I had no idea.

Pick a simple patch, then go to each one of the parameters that you can change the controller to Pencil. Then set them all to either Pencil X or Y with Pencil arrow down. Maybe change the notes to Pencil Azimuth. Basically, just keep it simple at first to see how it works.

Oh my Buddha, this is really cool!!!

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

How do you enable it?

It looks like there’s already very deep support for the Pencil to control all kinds of stuff. I first tried TC-11, and then TC-Data. In TC-11 you got to utilities, select Pencil, then drag the specific control you want over to the patch parameter you want to control. Everything from the speed of the Pencil motion, to on/off play surface, x/y, azimuth, pressure/force, distance, time, altitude. I’ve only just dug in, but it looks like it’s even more deep than this Pen2Bow app. With TC-Data it’s the same, but I think you set it differently by going to each parameter to control and selecting controller, Pencil, then what Pencil characteristic to control.

Using the Pencil to control TC-11 & TC-Data is pretty freaking spectacular actually! I had no idea.

Pick a simple patch, then go to each one of the parameters that you can change the controller to Pencil. Then set them all to either Pencil X or Y with Pencil arrow down. Maybe change the notes to Pencil Azimuth. Basically, just keep it simple at first to see how it works.

Oh great, well spotted :). Thought it might recognise the pencil by default.

• edited April 2018

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

How do you enable it?

No, you have to drill in and specifically set the Pencil as the controller. Then select the various Pencil positions in space, force, speed, azimuth, etc.

You can use the cc generator in the utilities to set up specific cc controls, then set the cc in the patch. I was just controlling Animoog with TC-Data and not Animoog’s pencil control it comes with. Was setting/changing frequency with azimuth (that appears to correlate to Pencil angle)

My understanding of this is so far very primitive, but I’ve seen and controlled enough in the last 20 minutes that I feel safe saying this is an incredible find!!! I was controlling various aspects of the Sensual Sax too. Haven’t tried any strings yet.

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

How do you enable it?

No, you have to drill in and specifically set the Pencil as the controller. Then select the various Pencil positions in space, force, speed, azimuth, etc.

You can use the cc generator in the utilities to set up specific cc controls, then set the cc in the patch. I was just controlling Animoog with TC-Data and not Animoog’s pencil control with. Was setting/changing frequency with azimuth (that appears to correlate to Pencil angle)

My understanding of this is so far very primitive, but I’ve seen and controlled enough in the last 20 minutes that I feel safe saying this is an incredible find!!! I was controlling various aspects of the Sensual Sax too. Haven’t tried any strings yet.

Yeah will need to setup some Interesting patches, so in theory this looks like TCData will be more expressive even than this new app and the pencil as it’s got more modulation options.

• Wow, yeah it’s very cool when you set up a tc data patch in a similar way :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Wow, yeah it’s very cool when you set up a tc data patch in a similar way :)

Yep! I’m discovering TC-Data all anew. Try mixing some control of parameters using the iPad camera brightness along with setting up some parameters to control with the Pencil’s various attributes. Really bizarre and opens up all kinds of possibilities.

• edited April 2018

I wonder if they added an API for it if 3D touch is far away then.
    But some awesome and weird things per mimic, 3D touch, gyroscope and whatever.
    These iOS devices go to 11 dimensional controllers soon :)