Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pro-L2 is a mastering engineer’s wet dream come true!

2»

Comments

• @Cib said:
    So is that the same thing i can do with the Logic LUFS metering tool?

Presumably yes (I don't own Logic though).

• @richardyot said:

@Cib said:
    So is that the same thing i can do with the Logic LUFS metering tool?

Presumably yes (I don't own Logic though).

Mhh...i think it might be more something to just metering....so you have to do it manually if something peaks.

• @richardyot said:

@tja said:
    And there is no other limiter that could target -14 LUFS on iOS?

Klevgrand Grand Finale can do it as well. I don't own it so can't compare it to Pro L, but I imagine it's comparable in quality.

Interesting i see there is a mac version too and they have/had a sale going on.
    But isn´t it standalone on iOS only? No AUv3.

• @Cib said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

Klevgrand Grand Finale can do it as well. I don't own it so can't compare it to Pro L, but I imagine it's comparable in quality.

I think so.
    But then, for what would you need a mastering app in multiple instances?

• @tja said:

@Cib said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

I think so.
    But then, for what would you need a mastering app in multiple instances?

I don´t know really :D
    You got me :D :D

• I bought it now, as it is still on 50% sale.

• Just a couple more corrections. Soundcloud does not use volume normalization like Spotify and others do, so targeting -14LUFS for that platform will just make your track quieter than others. That’s not a bad thing, just a heads up.

Also, it’s not impossible for humans to hear the difference between 320kbps MP3 and wav files. Though I would admit for most people it’s probably not easy.

• @tja said:
    I bought it now, as it is still on 50% sale.

Do you mean Upgrade from Pro-L is 50%?

Or is $39.99 for Pro-L2 the sale price ?? :tired_face:

• @Hmtx said:

@tja said:
    I bought it now, as it is still on 50% sale.

Do you mean Upgrade from Pro-L is 50%?

Or is $39.99 for Pro-L2 the sale price ?? :tired_face:

Uhm.
    No.

I was refering to the alternative, which seems to be Grand Finale.

• edited March 2018

@Tarekith said:
    Just a couple more corrections. Soundcloud does not use volume normalization like Spotify and others do, so targeting -14LUFS for that platform will just make your track quieter than others. That’s not a bad thing, just a heads up.

Also, it’s not impossible for humans to hear the difference between 320kbps MP3 and wav files. Though I would admit for most people it’s probably not easy.

Interesting, thank´s. As you are pro with knowlegde about this might i ask you if the Logic (or f.e. Live) mastering tools are something to achieve great results or do i really need all those extra mastering plug-ins.
    I ask just because after G.A.S. pulled down and revisited some old gems hidden in what is included in Logic already and what they all added now i wonder if that would be wasted money.

• @Tarekith said:

I would be open to hearing more about this, specifically what the audible differences are between 320kbs AAC (or even MP3) and uncompressed audio, are there specific artifacts one can listen out for for example?

Every double-blind test I've read about has shown that identifying files compressed at 128kbs is relatively easy, but 320kbs nigh-on impossible. Here for example.

• @Cib said:
    Interesting, thank´s. As you are pro with knowlegde about this might i ask you if the Logic (or f.e. Live) mastering tools are something to achieve great results or do i really need all those extra mastering plug-ins.
    I ask just because after G.A.S. pulled down and revisited some old gems hidden in what is included in Logic already and what they all added now i wonder if that would be wasted money.

Sure, you can definitely get good results with the built in tools that come with a desktop DAW. The EQs and compressors are usually really good (I love Live's since they were updated for version 9) and they usually have some imaging tools too. The only area I find that most DAWs still are a little weak is the final limiter. Live's is pretty basic, but it will work well until you try and push it super hard. Logic used to be more or less the same, but I haven't used it in awhile so I don't know if perhaps they have updated the limiter in that one.

• @richardyot said:
    I would be open to hearing more about this, specifically what the audible differences are between 320kbs AAC (or even MP3) and uncompressed audio, are there specific artifacts one can listen out for for example?

Every double-blind test I've read about has shown that identifying files compressed at 128kbs is relatively easy, but 320kbs nigh-on impossible. Here for example.

For me it's usually most apparent in the tails of things like reverb or cymbals, as they trail off the sound sometimes gets less smooth for lack of a better adjective. Also in the imaging, I notice that sometimes the localization of certain instruments isn't always as precise in MP3s or AACs compared to the raw audio files.

But I also admit I can only hear these things in the mastering studio where I have one of the best DACs ever made and top of the line monitors. Sometimes in my SE846s this is apparent too. If I was in a car, or a club setting, it would likely be very difficult to hear.

• True - Soundcloud does not (yet) use volume normalization. But other services do, and there's a definite reason. It's advisable to follow a similar mixing/mastering technique for Soundcloud, even if you target a little higher. The reason is because your audio is converted (at least for the free account) to a crappy 128k mp3.

Here's one person's perspective (found on Google) for keeping your music sounding good on Soundcloud/low bitrate mp3s. It has info in it I've seen elsewhere that seems pretty solid: https://justmastering.com/article-mixingformp3.php

• für Cib:

das hab ich mir gestern grad angesehen. Der erklärt das da ganz gut (LUFS und so). Blog und Text dazu ..
    https://recording-blog.com/lufs-limiter-und-was-man-sonst-zum-laut-machen-wissen-muss

free Youlean Loudness Meter (Win / Mac)
    https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/

• I've finally had a chance to give it a thorough spin this morning and the metering is amazing, it really makes the job of achieving the target level so easy. Just set the loudness meter to integrated and it will show you the average loudness of your track over time, which makes it a doddle to set the correct level.